• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
So far I like it but it took me a while to find the download queue or any indicator a download or transfer was taking place.

also I was on a system menu, and pressing the PS button did nothing, the O button did nothing, I realized I had to hold the PS button.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything I could do on the PS4 requires about 1-3 extra steps on the PS5.

Wanna close an app? You have to tap the PS button, go to the switcher, go to the app, select the app, and then you can finally close it. On the PS4, you'd just hold the PS button and select close app.

It's a step backwards. Sure it's fast and responsive, but that's about it.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Awful. They pulled a google where everything got moved around for no real reason and added 100 extra button presses. It took so long just to figure out how to fully close a game cause its hidden within a menu, why?

Hold down the ps button on PS4, i can close the game, view trophies, and manage my music and party.

Hold down the ps button on ps5, I get the control center or whatever its called, I see a bunch of squares that tell me the news and my party and my music and there's like 40 buttons on the button, if I wanna close the game or view my trophies its either behind 5 buttons presses or located elsewhere entirely.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to remove the recent parties list at the top of the friends hub? Mine is full of spam party invites from bots or something and I have to scroll past it to see my friends list.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but I'm super not used to it not having the same shortcuts (like holding the PS button to access the power menu) that I used a lot of PS4.

Also, RIP Skullgirls theme.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's fast and responsive, but everything seems to require extra steps compared to PS4 for no reason. I think I prefer Xbox's OS over it, but it gets the job done.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Gotta second that they seem to have changed stuff just to change stuff. Takes longer to do a lot of things. The stuff mapped to the ps button is confusing.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a bit of having to learn something new, but I think I kind of hate it and it's the only thing (other than the looks) I don't like about the console.

There's basically 3 tiers of menus at least, depending on your touch of the PS button + the actual setting. it's not intuitive in the slightest. I much preferred the quick menu setup with the hold of the PS button on PS4, it did like 95% of the things I regularly needed to do.

Also, way too many button presses to put it into rest mode. That's my main pet peeve.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to build the muscle memory, this is getting good. Some misinformation too, if you want trophies hold ps go to your account icon and there are trophies.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the PS4 UI so far. This is too Xboxy for my taste. I had trouble trying to turn it off last night. I don't think they made that aspect intuitive enough.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Love the entire audiovisual presentation and ambience it gives. It feels classy and sleek.

I like that the Store is now a tab like a game and not a separate app that needs to open. It's not got my favorite kind of layout and I feel like it could use work to be more easily navigated, BUT I do love that it's at the system level and not a separate thing that needs to load or boot.

The new guide menu works well, though I wish I could arrange the exact order that things are in.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Using cards to find secrets is the coolest thing ever. Did it in astrobot and it knew exactly which one I was looking for and popped up with a video instantly.

Dislike how the friends list is below the parties section. Why are old parties still there after you've "left" them?

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also not being able to double tap the PS button to get to the previous screen is a bummer.

This is indeed a huge bummer :(

I don't think Sony understands the utility of the double tap shortcut. I frequently use it to compare gallery screenshots (of stats or whatever) with my game screen and it's going to be annoying as fuck when this is gone.

YouTube/Netflix picture-in-picture and double tap shortcut are the two features I want most for the upcoming updates.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a good starting point, but there's a lot to fix.
  1. You should be able to access your Trophies from the Quick Access bar.
  2. The Trophy list needs to be fixed in general. The horizontal display sucks, and comparing trophies with friends is broken for me atm.
  3. Bring back the option to Upload/Download cloud save data directly from the main menu like you could on the PS4.
  4. Bring back folders.
  5. Bring back themes.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's a good starting point, but there's a lot to fix.
  1. You should be able to access your Trophies from the Quick Access bar.
  2. The Trophy list needs to be fixed in general. The horizontal display sucks, and comparing trophies with friends is broken for me atm.
  3. Bring back the option to Upload/Download cloud save data directly from the main menu like you could on the PS4.
  4. Bring back folders.
  5. Bring back themes.
Yes to all.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Ui is really good, I remember disliking a lot about it when it first came out but now it's really solid. A huge upgrade from ps4.

I am getting a brain fart with holding or pressing the home button.

I wish I could hold the button for the trophy tags and second menu and press i normally to get to the main menu.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions:

1. Can you only download one update at a time?

2. I thought there were supposed to be no install or copy times? Spider-Man took 20 minutes? Am I mistaken?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I agree with every single grievance in this thread. I'm not a fan of this UI at all, in fact it's pretty damn terrible. It's fast, l give it that. But holy shit is stuff just all over the place. It's change for the change. Sure we can adjust and learn where everything is, but things taking extra button presses is really unnecessary. The icons being small, the trophies being too big, those are all really poor designs too. Honestly I really dislike this UI, it's a shame.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm curious. Is what's new still on the ps4? The new mobile app seems geared toward ps5 with all the social stuff outside of party and messaging removed.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's fast but everything else is kind of whack. Especially how it handles collections like Batman: Return to Arkham (which includes Asylum and City). Only Asylum has a game icon in your library initially, unless you go into its game page, hit the (...) icon, then choose to download Arkham City. What?

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like how PS5 is handling trophy screen shot compare to PS4

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it overall and it feels pretty personalized, snappy, and fast. I don't like the menu on the bottom though when you press the PS button...I doubt I'll use any of those options except for the power button.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hate the way Trophies are displayed. Instead of being in a wide vertical list like on PS4, which allowed you to view many of them in a single page and their accompanying text in full, now they're displayed in tiles that scroll horizontally. Not only can you only see 3-4 of them at once max, but the tiles are so narrow that the accompanying text/objective is truncated with "..." for every single Trophy! So you have to actually open them one by one to read what the text actually says in full! This is so stupid and such a step back from the PS4! :(

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
It's fast, but it's way too difficult to get to certain options that are pretty common (friends, for one). Also, while it's simple, it looks like it could become cluttered fast with the games. I'm not the biggest fan of the design of it.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Everything I could do on the PS4 requires about 1-3 extra steps on the PS5.

Wanna close an app? You have to tap the PS button, go to the switcher, go to the app, select the app, and then you can finally close it. On the PS4, you'd just hold the PS button and select close app.

It's a step backwards. Sure it's fast and responsive, but that's about it.
You can hold the power button and then click options on the game title to close it.
Still an extra step compared to the ps4

plain

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice and fast but I hate how some things are placed. Downloads should have a permanent icon on the main UI.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's made to try to make it look "cool" at the expense of usability and practicability. So, as bad as the industrial design of the system.

There are too many bad decisions there that are almost amateurish. The achievements are a mess for instance. Everything is buried under menus over menus even for the simplest tasks like closing a game that should requiere one button press tops. More and more people will realise how much worse is compared to the PS4 UI (which wasn't good either) when novelty wears off and the usability takes front seat.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I love how fast it is, but it'll take some getting used to how everything is pretty much all in the quick menu now. Definitely miss being able to double tap the PS button to go between game / home easily. Now you can hold it to go back home but it's not as fluid, and you can't use it that way to go back to the game as far as I can tell. You have to actually go and select the game to open it back up. Overall I like it though, it's really slick and quick to use.
This is objectively worse... why would they do that?!

All that stuff sounds like changes just for the sake of changes.
It's fast, but I'm not a fan yet. Basically they took what we had on PS4, and swapped it. Now you hold the PS button to go home and hit it once to see options. How they launched without the same apps that were supported on PS4 is beyond me, and the lack of folders is just ridiculous. On the upside, the download speeds so far have been insanely good compared to PS4.
I... kind of hate navigating it so far. Everything seems so counter intuitive to how the PS4 UI functioned. The Party UI in particular is just horrible. And don't get me started on the friends list; that's even worse.
It's nice and fast but I hate how some things are placed. Downloads should have a permanent icon on the main UI.
It's made to try to make it look "cool" at the expense of usability and practicability. So, as bad as the industrial design of the system.

There are too many bad decisions there that are almost amateurish. The achievements are a mess for instance. Everything is buried under menus over menus even for the simplest tasks like closing a game that should requiere one button press tops. More and more people will realise how much worse is compared to the PS4 UI (which wasn't good either) when novelty wears off and the usability takes front seat.

OzzyKamikaze

Apr 25, 2019
From my quick impressions on a mates console most of yesterday.

The Good:
- Snappy as fuck - this is lightning fast.
- The store being baked in rather than its own app is massive
- Tiles (depending on the game) are great.
- The in game UI looks so clean.
- Accessibility options and the global gameplay settings are fantastic

The Bad:
- The home screen for installed games looks barren as fuck and it just seems like I have to to do more input to get the same information I was getting on my PS4.
- You can't customise where the in game tiles are ordered at all.
- Further lack of folders or ability to sort library.
Listing pros and cons so clearly like this is a UX designer's dream.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love that they added game time metrics, but they really need to add sorting options so that I can see my tops most played games.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The Trophy list is absolute hot garbage.

The way they're displayed in tiles makes it so that you see less of them on screen at once, have to scroll more, and the worst: Almost every fucking description gets truncated! You have to open them up one by one to read them, which is just such a catastrophical downgrade from the PS4 I can't even fathom how no one realized this. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!? </avgn>

trophiesps5v7jkv.png