• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The patent on video clips of sections you're stuck on is either going to be really awesome or irritating as anything.
"you look like you're trying to beat a boss. Can I help you with that?... Clippy, anyone?
They already have a Clippy on the PlayStation site...

I hate when they do events there and this little guy bugs the site.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't a patent more for FUNCTION rather than design? What do I know though, it's just a guess.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Question why do patents use ugly ass graphics, is it for readability purposes? Or being vague as much as possible so they can cover a lot of things?
Fundamentally, this kind of patent is referred to as a utility patent. These kind of patents obtain protection for the function or composition of something, as opposed to other things like its appearance. So first and foremost a patent figure should be to that end - to help explain how something functions or its parts and how they relate to one another. Everything else is secondary. This is part of the reason you'll see these schematic patent figures that seem somewhat disembodied from the end product.

Also keep in mind they're often drawn by attorneys and other law-practicing folk who don't have artistic inclination (and usually don't have time under a fixed budget or target for elaborate drawings, which often aren't necessary).

In other cases a more accurate reflection of an end product's appearance is appropriate, like if you were patenting an intake manifold for a gas engine and the shape of the intake manifold was key to its function. For design patents, protection for an item's appearance is sought, and not its function.

That's a short summary, but there are other considerations - you typically want to show as much of your claim elements in the drawings. Claims are what actually define the protection you're seeking and obtain if granted a patent.

More relevant to this thread: this patent is not trying to obtain protection for the appearance of PS5's UI, but rather its functionality. So don't assume what is shown is a close reflection of the appearance of PS5's UI. It could be, but appearance is not this patent's focus.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fundamentally, this kind of patent is referred to as a utility patent. These kind of patents obtain protection for the function or composition of something, as opposed to other things like its appearance. So first and foremost a patent figure should be to that end - to help explain how something functions or its parts and how they relate to one another. Everything else is secondary. This is part of the reason you'll see these schematic patent figures that seem somewhat disembodied from the end product.

Also keep in mind they're often drawn by attorneys and other law-practicing folk who don't have artistic inclination (or just don't have time under a fixed budget or target).

That's a short summary, but there are other considerations - you typically want to show as much of your claim elements in the drawings. Claims are what actually define the protection you're seeking and obtain if granted a patent.
Thank you, I assume as much except the part that attorney make these illustrations most of the time.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This patent is about building a gameplay model for a game, and learning a player's interactions to offer customised hints based on that. And also generating and showing a video clip of your most recent playtime in a game.

The rest of the UI stuff in those images is purely incidental and only illustrative.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game1,2,3.
So those are three save states (like Series X), or is that illustrating 3 games on the menu simultaneously?

Nice and clean like PS4.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The PS4 UI is fine if you just have a few games installed but as soon as that number increases its flaws become apparent. Being forced to navigate only horizontally is a bad design. Sure you can group in to folders but even that can quickly get out of control with endless horizontal scrolling. I would love it if you could have a grid view within the folders instead, more customisation options. Only other way to get a grid currently is to go in to the Library app but then it's not integrated and organised as you choose with folders etc.

And I hate how the content is ordered to when you last played it, folders moving to the left if your most recent game played is in it etc. It's annoying, I like to organise things and for them to stay in a preferred order! Stop moving my shit!

Also I hope we don't have to wait years again for folders.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
huge fan of the artwork here haha. Also, looks nearly identical to PS4, so its believable. Not a huge fan of the PS4 UI, but hey, at least it's better than the Xbox One's, stupid ads. It might be my absolute inexperience with UI programming or understanding of the psychology behind it, but it seems like snappy UI like Nintendo Switch's comes at the high price of not being able to do much outside playing videogames.

Was really hoping for them to aim at something closer to Nintendo's UI or maybe even Steam's grid view, it's not snappy but allows to display multiple games without sacrificing much. Something like this would be nice, imo.
00feddfe5f5fac7d186e0dfa7efa6406.jpg

I have no idea when or how I got Trove or Tropico 3, nor do I think I even knew I had them until this screenshot

Last edited:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how "game hints" will work in a game like Demon Souls or Bloodborne, will it just be four rows of "get gud"?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just want a universal playtime tracker for all games, like the Wii U had

Give me my play stats!

Oct 29, 2017
Then they should add it but make it so you can disable it, or just hide it in the settings somewhere

It's not essential but it's on pretty much every other platform, and Sony must be tracking this stuff anyway
Oh they do track it anyway, they did some anniversary stuff where you could see your most played games by hour.

I agree they should add it, was just making a light-hearted comment, not suggesting they shouldn't.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I just want and hope for a very fast and snappy UI. This is the thing I like about when turning on Switch or Apple TV

Have Microsoft showed or talked about the UI or boot up on the X1X yet?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I assume this will be less of an issue with the PS5 SSD, but on PS4 I would have loved an app that lets you pick a game on your phone and load a save file for a game, so your console will turn on, fire the game up, and load the save in one action

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey now and you have to baby sit the console for 5 mins from turning it on to loading your save

Console on, wait 30 seconds, select the game, wait 30 seconds, hit X, wait while game checks for DLC for 30 seconds, select file, wait for 60 seconds while it loads, now you can play

I wish there was a way to just tell the system to turn on and load a save, rather than have me complete 4 prompts, one every 30-60 seconds, just to have the game turn on and load up

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
XldwNVy.png

EQL0HJfWAAEyRjh.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

It is nice to get some stats shown in the UI, not sure how i feel about the "You lost, here are some tips and tactics" thing.
I hope we can turn on and off some features.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
They should just go for the XMB again, with a few tweaks. PS4 UI was awful. Everything felt so far away and disconnected, library, friends, trophies. Hell for a system with a Share button it sure is shitty how the Pictures tile is hidden away somewhere in the fucking system menu.

On PS3 it felt like you could access anything with 3 simple button presses.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It looks just like PS4 UI if you use the folders. Hopefully they make some visual adjustments then and it's quicker to navigate whilst in game

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty similar to the PS4 UI, which I find to be pretty awful. Totally unintuitive to navigate for me as someone who only uses the PS4 occasionally.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
For those that are concerned this looks too much like the PS4 UI, keep in mind this patent was filled in 2017.

It's possible the UI has changed quite a lot since then. Even the PS4 UI changed a lot since it was unveiled in Feb 2013 until release later in November.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love the PS4 UI so an iteration on that is perfect, should also mean we can use the same themes. Also OMF@#£G game stats. Gimme gimme gimme!

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seems fine. Since PS4 UI got folders it hasn't annoyed me in the slightest. The fact that switch gets praised when it's pretty much identical means this is maybe more of a refinement issue, than a fundamental issue people have.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shrug.

The XMB works, its not fancy but it gets the job done. I have no issues with them iterating on it, though ultimately I'd like something with a little more pizzazz. Maybe they'll allow themes to do a little more to the UI than they did with ths PS4, but i'm not holding my breath on that.