• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I did lol, it's a claim that makes absolutely no sense. Like how did you come to that conclusion? SeX is the superior console spec wise, but Obviously the PS5 is still great.
Xbox seems to have built a great machine but it's design is just built on what's always been done. It works and it'll be awesome. Sony seems to be trying to anticipate the problems with bottlenecks and game development that will happen now that ssds are becoming mandatory. They've introduced new ways of thinking and new ways of developing games. When those new ways develop and mature they're betting that the steps they've taken now will pay off. That's exciting.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Xbox seems to have built a great machine but it's design is just built on what's always been done. It works and it'll be awesome. Sony seems to be trying to anticipate the problems with bottlenecks and game development that will happen now that ssds are becoming mandatory. They've introduced new ways of thinking and new ways of developing games. When those new ways develop and mature they're betting that the steps they've taken now will pay off. That's exciting.
Xbox also seems to be trying to eliminate bottlenecks, they just happened to push their specs a little more than Sony. They'll both be great consoles, there's no need to be inventing secret sauce to make them seem better than they are.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart won't have RT because it's the budget console with limited graphical capabilities.
That makes absolutely no sense at all. The chance of Lockhart, if it's even real which I'm beginning to doubt, not having ray-tracing support are literally zero.
It will have less performant HW RT compared to the XSX, sure. But the whole point is that it's supposed to be running the same games albeit at lower res/quality. There will come a time, quite soon, when all games require HW RT GPUs to run on PC, they're not having devs implement both an RT-featured version and non-RT version of their games for the rest of the generation.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
On the bolded- you seem very knowledgeable and i'd like to know more about the following topics below. Please elaborate how everyone has missed these techniques and design features that have always been done. Curious to see how these design features are not forward looking and will not be viable when those new ways of developing games and mature come into play.

• Velocity Architecture
  • Quick Resume
  • Cooling Solution
  • Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing
  • VRS Tier 2
  • Smart Delivery
  • Mesh shading
  • BCPack
  • Sampler Feedback Streaming
  • Dynamic Latency Input
Those seem to be some good topics on their design solution. Remember, stay on topic and only provide details about how these features have always been done on a console in the Xbox time-line. I look forward to your ignore click on me. Oh wait, were in a PS5 thread. hmmm yeah nevermind lets not get off-topic.

Best Regards.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
developers actually set the modes on cpu/gpu and thus regulate it... nothing happens by chance and everything is 100% repeatable.
I don't think that true. I know that's a theory that's been floated around but i don't think devs set any kinda modes to prioritize GPU or CPU performance.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
On the bolded- you seem very knowledgeable and i'd like to know more about the following topics below. Please elaborate how everyone has missed these techniques and design features that have always been done. Curious to see how these design features are not forward looking and will not be viable when those new ways of developing games and mature come into play.

• Velocity Architecture
  • Quick Resume
  • Cooling Solution
  • Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing
  • VRS Tier 2
  • Smart Delivery
  • Mesh shading
  • BCPack
  • Sampler Feedback Streaming
  • Dynamic Latency Input
Those seem to be some good topics on their design solution. Remember, stay on topic and only provide details about how these features have always been done on a console in the Xbox time-line. I look forward to your ignore click on me. Oh wait, were in a PS5 thread. hmmm yeah nevermind lets not get off-topic.

Best Regards.
I'm not knowledgeable. I could very well be wrong. Just basing my excitement off of what some devs have said and the presentations/spec leaks so far. Time will tell and I'm looking forward to it.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Series X also has a super fast SSD.

It's not bad, but it's also just 2.4 GB/s. That's less than many PCIe 3.0 drives have. On the other hand, Microsoft probably know what they do. They must have had a vision for their next-gen games and what they will look like. And they chose the hardware configuration that fits that vision.

Will it? How much further. What will it be able to do that Series X won't?

At least 129% further! Just kidding. Who knows? Devs said that they themselves can't even comprehend what's possible with that speed. Always a good sign imo. Next-gen will be great!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's not bad, but it's also just 2.4 GB/s. That's less than many PCIe 3.0 drives have. On the other hand, Microsoft probably knows what they did. They must have a vision for their next-gen games and what they will look like. And they chose the hardware configuration that fits that vision.

At least 129% further! Just kidding. Who knows? Devs said that they themselves can't even comprehend what's possible with that speed. Always a good sign imo. Next-gen will be great!
I think there's a serious argument that by the time that 2.4 GB/s is 'not fast enough" a new model will be out with a much better SSD.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
That makes absolutely no sense at all. The chance of Lockhart, if it's even real which I'm beginning to doubt, not having ray-tracing support are literally zero.
It will have less performant HW RT compared to the XSX, sure. But the whole point is that it's supposed to be running the same games albeit at lower res/quality. There will come a time, quite soon, when all games require HW RT GPUs to run on PC, they're not having devs implement both an RT-featured version and non-RT version of their games for the rest of the generation.
Did you watch the Digital Foundry video on the Series X ray tracing in Minecraft?

Ray Tracing on these new consoles is going to be a novelty. Some non demanding games can use it extensively, anything else will be using it sparingly or not at all.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a serious argument that by the time that 2.4 GB/s is 'not fast enough" a new model will be out with a much better SSD.

Well Microsoft said that they want up to 2 years of cross-gen, so it's very likely that this will be good enough for their games. But Sony will have PS5 exclusives from day one, I'm pretty excited to see what they will show us!

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Did you watch the Digital Foundry video on the Series X ray tracing in Minecraft? If you did I don't know how you could possibly think we are anywhere near all games requiring ray tracing. Ray Tracing on these new consoles is going to be a novelty. Some graphically non demanding games can use it extensively, anything else will be using it sparingly or not at all.
Minecraft is path traced. Something that probably won't be done with other games to begin with. And it actually disproves your point.
I don't disagree that it's still early days for RT in games, but it's clear the hardware is powerful enough to offer what the mid to upper Nvidia RTX GPUs have been able to do.
Games next gen will use that HW RT for a bunch of stuff, whether it's shadows, reflections or GI or whatever.
Many might only use it for one aspect of the game's lighting at a time, but that part can be RT only and devs don't need to include a rasterized implementation. For the PC version, users will just have to have an RT-capable GPU.

This will 100% happen, and a Lockhart will absolutely have to support HW RT. Otherwise devs will have to extend that cross-gen period from 2 years to the whole full 7 years of the generation.

So am I right to think these two will be as close or even closer than OG PS4/XB1?
They're STAGGERINGLY (wink) close. They're much closer than the PS4/XB1.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So am I right to think these two will be as close or even closer than OG PS4/XB1?

Far closer.

That's not how things work lol. It's the percentage difference that matters, not the Tflop number between them, as performance scales with resolution.

Whilst the difference between the XSX and PS5 may be a PS4's worth in Tflops, the reality is that 17% difference might lead to very small graphical or resolution differences that are most likely going to be fairly negligible, as there is such a thing as diminishing returns the further up the resolution scale you go. That is if devs choose resolution to take the hit over frame rate, which I'd imagine they would (similar to this gen with the PS4 Pro).

To clarify on why the differences are so much less this gen.

Performance:

The PS4 has 40% more computational power than the Xbox One (1.84 Tflops vs 1.31 Tflops).

The Series X has 17% more computational power than the PS5 (12 Tflops vs 10.28 Tflops)

In other words, the performance delta was far greater this gen than it will be next gen.

Clockspeed:

The Xbox One's GPU clocks were 6.6% faster than the PS4's (853 MHz vs 800 MHz).

The PS5's GPU clocks are 22% faster than the Series X's (2.23Ghz vs 1.825GHz).

The benefits of a higher clockspeed that some have discussed were less apparent at the start of this gen than they are with the PS5/XSX.

Storage:

Both the Xbox One and PS4 came with a standard 5400rpm HDD.

The PS5 has an 825GB SSD at 5.5 GB/s, whilst the XSX has a 1TB SSD at 2.4 GB/s, so the PS5's storage is around 129% faster.

So here the PS5 actually has a clear advantage, unlike with the Xbox One and PS4 that were a wash.

Memory:

The Xbox One has 8GB of DDR3 at 68.26 GB/s and just 32MB of eSRAM at 204 GB/s. The PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 at 176.0 GB/s. In other words the PS4's 8GB's of ram was 158% faster than the XO's.

The Series X has 16GB of GDDR6, 10GB of which is at 560GB/s and 6GB of which is at 335GB/s, whilst the PS5 also has 16GB of GDDR6 the entirety of which is at 448GB/s. So the PS5's ram is 34% faster than 6GB's of the Series X's, whilst 10GB of the Series X's ram is 25% faster than the PS5's.

In other words, there isn't anywhere near the gulf in memory performance between the PS4/XO as there is with the PS5/XSX.

Ultimately, the performance gulf between the Xbox One and PS4 was much bigger, and unlike with the Xbox One which essentially had no performance advantages over the PS4 (hence people resorted to secret sauces like Cloud, dGPU etc that didn't actually have provable or scientific benefits), the PS5 actually has a couple of real and tangible advantages over the Xbox Series X, or areas where they're near enough matched.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Except it might be very relevant, because it's all relative. Imagine the following scenarios.

Lockhart, 4 Tflops - $299
PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $399
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $100, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for $100. Suddenly the PS5 is looking like a steal, and Lockhart a bit of a dud. The XSX's performance advantage is also looking like a pretty bad deal.

Potentially more realistic pricing.

Lockhart, 4 Tflops - $349
PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $449
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $100, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for $49. The PS5 is still looking like a steal, and Lockhart still a bit of a dud. XSX's performance advantage is looking like better value proposition.

And then the worst case for Sony, but that is still a possibility.

PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $499
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $149, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for no added cost. Lockhart is looking like a better proposition now, but $149 extra for so much more performance from the other two still seems worthile, the XSX especially. Notably if buyers expect to get a 4K screen to replace their 1080p one, any time in the next several years.

I think this is a very good view assuming we believe what's been rumored about a low-end SKU. This is why price makes such a difference. There are some other variables that may affect consumer perception one way or the other (e.g. you also get a bit more storage in the X, and while it's really only 931 vs. 825 that's still roughly 1 game install and we don't know the costs of adding external storage yet). But fundamentally I think this is sort of how it plays out even though you could make a case there are 1 or 2 more scenarios in here.

Deleted member 63832

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Minecraft is path traced. Something that probably won't be done with other games to begin with. And it actually disproves your point.
I don't disagree that it's still early days for RT in games, but it's clear the hardware is powerful enough to offer what the mid to upper Nvidia RTX GPUs have been able to do.
Games next gen will use that HW RT for a bunch of stuff, whether it's shadows, reflections or GI or whatever.
Many might only use it for one aspect of the game's lighting at a time, but that part can be RT only and devs don't need to include a rasterized implementation. For the PC version, users will just have to have an RT-capable GPU.

This will 100% happen, and a Lockhart will absolutely have to support HW RT. Otherwise devs will have to extend that cross-gen period from 2 years to the whole full 7 years of the generation.

Closer. It was ~40% back then, now it's ~18% at best.

That's what I was thinking.

Especially since PS5 will do things better than XSX too.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Agreed. RT being absent in Lockhart would be a failure to do right by (1) developers, in that they'd have to design different lighting pipelines between X and S, and (2) consumers, in that MS would be offering a low-end SKU that fails to provide the same experience of X albeit at reduced fidelity.

Besides, I don't see MS adding a bunch of cost and complexity by commissioning the design of two significantly different chips, and stripping out a fundamental feature of RDNA 2 from one of those chips.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

So third parties are going to tell everyone on PC to buy a ray tracing GPU in the next few years or they don't want their money? 😄

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think this is a very good view assuming we believe what's been rumored about a low-end SKU. This is why price makes such a difference. There are some other variables that may affect consumer perception one way or the other (e.g. you also get a bit more storage in the X, and while it's really only 931 vs. 825 that's still roughly 1 game install and we don't know the costs of adding external storage yet). But fundamentally I think this is sort of how it plays out even though you could make a case there are 1 or 2 more scenarios in here.

931 GB? Is that factoring in the OS or is that the total usable size of the XSX SSD? I haven't been paying close attention to its specs

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
931 GB? Is that factoring in the OS or is that the total usable size of the XSX SSD? I haven't been paying close attention to its specs

a 1tb SSD is actually ~930 usable based on how storage sizes are reported. I'm going to assume (although I don't know) that 825 will have some amount of of reserve as well, but since I don't know if they are expressing total capacity or actual I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Neither case counts for OS overhead, which we don't know yet for either system. All else equal, I think it's safe to assume you'll have at least 100 gb more accessible space on the Series X.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Computers use base 2 binary system, so 1kb = 1024 bytes instead of 1000 bytes.

Here's a very good explanation if you want a detailed answer.
www.makeuseof.com

Hard Drive Size Explained: Why 1TB Is Only 931GB of Actual Space

Why does your PC only show 931GB when you have a 1TB drive? Here's the difference between advertised vs. actual hard drive space.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
a 1tb SSD is actually ~930 usable based on how storage sizes are reported. I'm going to assume (although I don't know) that 825 will have some amount of of reserve as well, but since I don't know if they are expressing total capacity or actual I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Neither case counts for OS overhead, which we don't know yet for either system. All else equal, I think it's safe to assume you'll have at least 100 gb more accessible space on the Series X.

Cool, thanks. 😃

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Well Microsoft said that they want up to 2 years of cross-gen, so it's very likely that this will be good enough for their games. But Sony will have PS5 exclusives from day one, I'm pretty excited to see what they will show us!
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. they want to focus on pc games and part of that is scalable gaming - they can just push xsx to ultra

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. they want to focus on pc games and part of that is scalable gaming - they can just push xsx to ultra
Kinda...
They cannot fully utilize the newer CPU to build the game, or the ssd. They will have the same restrictions of the old gen, so i expect 4k/60fps

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Closer. It was ~40% back then, now it's ~18% at best.
Interesting. I prepared myself for something like PS2/Xbox (graphically) after all those angry/troll posts on internet!

Jan 3, 2019
Wouldn't that make compatibility an issue if games were to do something with it that's not possible with the "slow" (not really) SSD? Games will target the "regular" SX as opposed to the new model and the differences will only be incremental, same as third party games targeting both the SX and PS5.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Wouldn't that make compatibility an issue if games were to do something with it that's not possible with the "slow" (not really) SSD? Games will target the "regular" SX as opposed to the new model and the differences will only be incremental, same as third party games targeting both the SX and PS5.
I don't think so. I think the argument, like I said, that 2.4 GB/s is weak and not fast enough 1 year later is mitigated by scaling, a necessary development pillar when facilitating both the pc and console platforms. The industry itself as a whole has moved towards that end and Microsoft first party for sure. I don't see it as being a drastic issue. Just look at Gears in ultra and the XSX improvements. Enough to make it next gen, but definitively scalable.

Jan 3, 2019
I don't think so. I think the argument, like I said, that 2.4 GB/s is weak and not fast enough 1 year later is mitigated by scaling, a necessary development pillar when facilitating both the pc and console platforms. The industry itself as a whole has moved towards that end and Microsoft first party for sure. I don't see it as being a drastic issue. Just look at Gears in ultra and the XSX improvements. Enough to make it next gen, but definitively scalable.
I was thinking of a worst case scenario that wouldn't be possible on old hardware, but something came on my mind: Devs managed to port Resogun to the Vita and Titanfall to the 360. If there's a will, there's a way.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Lockhart won't have RT because it's the budget console with limited graphical capabilities.
I agree that RT won't be a focus, but there's not much sense intentionally removing it. For a much lower resolution, you have to cast many fewer rays to have the same visual quality. It scales approximately like most effects do.

No, I'm arguing that variable clocks are not necessary to have a quiet console, and yes, there have been people arguing that the variable clocks on the PS5 are going to make it quieter than the Pro, when the Pro is only loud because it's got a poor cooling solution.
You're conflating two different things here, though. Variable clock itself doesn't cause lower fan noise, that's true. The intent of the tech isn't to save power, it's to allow ambitious scenes that previously had to run under power max, to instead reach it.

However, there's a knock-on effect which might benefit fan noise, that the maximum power draw stays much more consistent. Sudden spikes are hammered down. In typical design you have to estimate what those worst case peaks will look like...and if you guess too low, you get high fan speed and noise. Being able to design to a specific level, and know it'll never be sailed past, allows more precise provisioning for cooling.

Of course, Sony could have all the knowledge in the world and still cheap out. But the fact that they specifically mentioned PS4 fan noise as a negative, twice, and predicted people would be pleased with their cooling solution, at least suggests otherwise.

XSX sounds great. But it also sounds for right now. PS5 sounds like it's been built for 2 or 3 years down the line and that is really appealing.
This doesn't make any sense. The Xbox division isn't a bunch of burnouts in a garage, they're a highly expert and deeply resourced technical development team. You can be assured their design is informed by reams of speculation, projection, and measurement. Just because they've settled on different choices than Sony doesn't mean they're not equally (or better!) prepared for the future of games.

The 825GB figure is analogous to the 1TB figure for XSX, i.e. it doesn't factor the base10/binary conversion. I believe the usable amount equivalent to XSX's 930GB is 750GB. It remains to be seen what OS reserves will be like. You can pretty much be sure that XSX will be able to fit 1 extra AAA game, though (or multiple smaller titles).

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Except it might be very relevant, because it's all relative. Imagine the following scenarios.

Lockhart, 4 Tflops - $299
PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $399
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $100, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for $100. Suddenly the PS5 is looking like a steal, and Lockhart a bit of a dud. The XSX's performance advantage is also looking like a pretty bad deal.

Potentially more realistic pricing.

PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $449
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $100, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for $49. The PS5 is still looking like a steal, and Lockhart still a bit of a dud. XSX's performance advantage is looking like better value proposition.

And then the worst case for Sony, but that is still a possibility.

PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $499
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $149, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for no added cost. Lockhart is looking like a better proposition now, but $149 extra for so much more performance from the other two still seems worthile, the XSX especially. Notably if buyers expect to get a 4K screen to replace their 1080p one, any time in the next several years.

Sony should be doing a box with a few Din-A4 in order to save some money to reach the 400€ spot, if not they are really fucked up in the other cases.

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
If they really try to push 4k, I bet people wont notice a lot of a difference between One X and XSX.

And I have SERIOUS doubts about the capabilities of ray tracing of either of these two so I wont even consider that.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Just look at Gears in ultra and the XSX improvements. Enough to make it next gen, but definitively scalable.
Gears 5 on XSX does not look anything like a next gen game. It's just a very, very nice looking current-gen game. This is not an insult, it's just the reality of what it was originally built for. You'll see what I mean when the Coalition unveil Gears 6.

I was thinking of a worst case scenario that wouldn't be possible on old hardware, but something came on my mind: Devs managed to port Resogun to the Vita and Titanfall to the 360. If there's a will, there's a way.
Actually, the devs did not do ports of either of those games. Both of them were separate productions, handled by different studios (Climax for Resogun, Bluepoint for Titanfall).

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
This doesn't make any sense. The Xbox division isn't a bunch of burnouts in a garage, they're a highly expert and deeply resourced technical development team. You can be assured their design is informed by reams of speculation, projection, and measurement. Just because they've settled on different choices than Sony doesn't mean they're not equally (or better!) prepared for the future of games.

Not sure exactly where I called the XBox teams a bunch of burnouts. I praised the XSX several times and said it was a "great machine"

My point was I personally am excited about the direction of the PS5 more. Putting an emphasis on ssd and i/o speeds is a more exciting future to me. I feel we know what the XSX will be capable of. It's easier to understand because its built on what's come before. We don't know yet what the PS5's design decisions bring to the table. It's a new direction and it's going to take developers a few years to wrap their heads around. Might not pan out but what if it does?

As you said -two different directions. Both will lead to amazing games and experiences but I'm more eager to see the results of Sony's path. No knock on Xbox or the talented people building it. Praise for the PS5 doesn't mean a slight against Xbox (and vice versa).

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Really hope this ssd does something amazing. If not then oof. Would've preferred a better GPU instead if this goes nowhere.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Have you guys seen this video by Coreteks? If this is true - this really makes me think PS5 is really the better machine.

youtu.be

AMD's Checkmate

Get 20% off a premium annual subscription on Brilliant's great courses: https://brilliant.org/coreteks Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/coretek...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
SSD will be way more noticeable.

As long as it's used properly by devs. My biggest worry is that devs will limit their games to whatever the XSX can do with zero loading times or pop-in (so that they can say their game never has them regardless of console), which would be really shit if they were capable of pushing things further. My hope is that they build around the PS5 targeting no pop-in and no loading - I'm pretty sure that the XSX could still run what they make, just with 2-5 seconds of loading.

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
As long as it's used properly by devs. My biggest worry is that devs will limit their games to whatever the XSX can do with zero loading times or pop-in (so that they can say their game never has them regardless of console), which would be really shit if they were capable of pushing things further. My hope is that they build around the PS5 targeting no pop-in and no loading - I'm pretty sure that the XSX could still run what they make, just with 2-5 seconds of loading.

Yea, true.

I think once again, Sony studios will lead the way here.

Status
Not open for further replies.