• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well I still don't know if the Youtuber known as Moore's Law is Dead is trustworthy or not, but I did notice he's got a video set to stream in about 30 minutes and one of the talking points is more PS5 info. In his last video he claimed to have spoken with people in the industry, so maybe worth a peak?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wait how is cap a baseline, that makes no sense
A baseline is a starting point of measurement. A baseline doesn't have to mean lowest point. For pro sports, for the most part the salary cap is the baseline. You start from there and subtract from it.
There has to be a reason to not state the base clock then no? Because lets say the PS5 does stay in 10.05 at the baseline, why not just state that. The reason being stating a max rate leads to many interpetations of how low the console itself can go
That's true. The issue is Brad Sams stating as fact just how low it can go, or the low point being where it spends most of its time.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I know you're probably not going to do this, but reading the past couple pages of this thread would give you a much better idea on why Sony chose to go with this method instead of fixed clocks. I also know you think you're trying to be reasonable here, but completely ignoring everything Mark Cerny said in the presentation and applying your own logic to it like this just makes you look a warrior. Mark Cerny -the guy who designed the console- gave out actual numbers in an official Sony presentation that was aimed at developers (no fluff marketing speak there) and your response is basically "BUT WHAT IF HE'S LYING THO. WHAT IF THOSE AREN'T THE ACTUAL NUMBERS"
You can say that presentation was aimed at developers, but it's clear from watching it that is not entirely true. What use would developers have in hearing about PS4 backwards compatibility?

This was a presentation directed at everyone, which is why the main PlayStation twitter account tweeted out an invitation to everyone to watch it.

I have a ton of respect for Cerny, but he's doing a job as an employee of Sony. He is trying to sell a console not only to developers but also to consumers, and I think he did the best job he could designing the PS5 under the constraints of a 36CU SOC.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I still don't know if the Youtuber known as Moore's Law is Dead is trustworthy or not, but I did notice he's got a video set to stream in about 30 minutes and one of the talking points is more PS5 info. In his last video he claimed to have spoken with people in the industry, so maybe worth a peak?

Thanks for the link. Will check it out.

Adum

May 30, 2019
You can say that presentation was aimed at developers, but it's clear from watching it that is not entirely true. What use would developers have in hearing about PS4 backwards compatibility?

This was a presentation directed at everyone, which is why the main PlayStation twitter account tweeted out an invitation to everyone to watch it.
This was the presentation they were planning to give at GDC. This wasn't an E3 kind of presentation aimed at their playerbase and the media. This was entirely aimed at the technical side of the industry, and if you claim otherwise you'er really really reaching. Even the single tweet they gave out for it was very much matter-of-fact. This wasn't a big event they were hyping up.

And did you just seriously ask if Devs would be interested in PS4 BC? Umm...what? You're kidding, right?

I have a ton of respect for Cerny, but he's doing a job as an employee of Sony. He is trying to sell a console not only to developers but also to consumers, and I think he did the best job he could designing the PS5 under the constraints of a 36CU SOC.
See, this is a simple yes or no thing. Either Mark Cerny was lying in an official presentation about the numbers that he provided, or he wasn't. I've seen a lot of people on this very forum use the exact phrase "He's doing his job as an employee of Sony". What does that mean exactly? That he can give false information about a product they're releasing and no one's gonna bat an eye? That Sony gave him the headsup to give out false numbers in an official presentation?

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will say that I heavily disagree with the notion that their variable clock implementation can be attributed to boosting PR. This undoubtedly was a massive engineering effort to get this to work. It wasn't just for image; they clearly decided there was a significant technical advantage that justified the time, cost, and energy to do this.
Yep - this was all planned and it isn't likely that Sony caught wind of 12TF XsX in December then decided to rebuild: apu, power delivery system, power management, clocking arrangements, memory speed, cooling, enclosure all to fit into a new power profile in the last 4 months.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Except it might be very relevant, because it's all relative. Imagine the following scenarios.

Lockhart, 4 Tflops - $299
PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $399
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $100, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for $100. Suddenly the PS5 is looking like a steal, and Lockhart a bit of a dud. The XSX's performance advantage is also looking like a pretty bad deal.

Potentially more realistic pricing.

Lockhart, 4 Tflops - $349
PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $449
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $100, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for $49. The PS5 is still looking like a steal, and Lockhart still a bit of a dud. XSX's performance advantage is looking like better value proposition.

And then the worst case for Sony, but that is still a possibility.

Lockhart, 4 Tflops - $349
PS5, 10.28 Tflops - $499
XSX, 12.15 Tflops - $499

PS5 would get you 157% more performance for $149, whilst the XSX would get you 18% extra for no added cost. Lockhart is looking like a better proposition now, but $149 extra for so much more performance from the other two still seems worthile, the XSX especially. Notably if buyers expect to get a 4K screen to replace their 1080p one, any time in the next several years.

Thank you for this.
I made no argument on the value proposition of the Lockhart. I only said it's irrelevant in a discussion around the Series X and PS5.

But Sams made a point to put it in the article...about teraflops... I don't see the problem. And basically say but it's fine. Like we already know the prices.
Sony has to be loving being the middle man. People tend to buy the middle choice since it makes them feel like they're getting the best price vs performance option.
Yup. Price will be key, as always.

Edit: now I see github is gospel again...and Cerny is lying again.

It's the circle of life at this point.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
User banned (1 week): Platform wars. Community trolling. Account in junior phase.
Firstly he claims that that the PS5 will typically operate at 9.2 Tflops, presumably a false conjured figure he's decided on based on the Github leak, one that happens to be in direct contradiction with what Cerny himself stated.

"36 CUs at 2.23Ghz is 10.3 Tflops and we expect the GPU to spend most of its time at our close to that frequency and performance.

Similarly running the CPU at 3 GHz was causing headaches with the old strategy but now we can run it as high as 3.5 GHz, infact it spends most of its time at that frequency"

Cerny also says this.

"When that worst case arrives, it will run at a lower clockspeed, but not too much lower. To reduce power by 10%, it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor"

So based on the above, we're told that both the CPU and GPU will spend most of their time at the subsequent max frequency clocks, and that only worst case power load scenarios will require a GPU downclock.

Brad compares the PS5's boost with other product boosts like CPU's etc, showing a fundamental misunderstanding of Sony's frequency clock variability, and how it differs from other competing boost implementations in other GPU's, CPU's etc. Eg that it isn't overclocked temporarily, and then throttled down based on thermal dynamics, but instead the PS5's CPU/GPU spend "most" of their time at their max clocks, and only need to downclock a tiny amount in a "worst case" scenario (a 2% downclock for 10% power back, such a drop would keep the GPU at 10 Tflops) not when a thermal threshold is reached, but instead a set power load limit.

We all know what Cerny said. That's the issue. You constantly posting what he said doesn't change the ambiguity in his statements. "It spends most of its time at that frequency". Well that means it spends some of its time not at that frequency. Then he give an example, "To reduce power by 10% it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency." Is 10% the minimum? Can it go to 15%? I guess you're interpreting "a couple of percent" to mean 2%, because a 3% drop takes into 9TF territory, and we can't have that.

If the frequency drop is such a minuscule amount and won't effect performance why even mention it? Now the narrative has been set. When PS5 is released and the pixel counters get a hold of it. Any deviation in performance is going to blamed on a down clock here and there.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
We all know what Cerny said. That's the issue. You constantly posting what he said doesn't change the ambiguity in his statements. "It spends most of its time at that frequency". Well that means it spends some of its time not at that frequency.

Some of its time isn't most of its time, per Sams' claims.

There's no ambiguity there in so far as the incorrectness of Sams' statement, if we take what Cerny said at face value. If Sams wants to contradict that, that's ok, but I think we'd need more than his say-so on it, with all due respect. He could call it into question without making an inverse assertion. That equally invites scrutiny.

Turning a sometimes into a 'typically' or 'most of the time' could be used to amplify unflattering cases for any piece of hardware, XSX included. I doubt Sams takes such a cynical or skeptical approach there though.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same can be said for other console camps and all competing consumer products.

Very few outlets have full-time Sony reporters.

If the frequency drop is such a minuscule amount and won't effect performance why even mention it? Now the narrative has been set. When PS5 is released and the pixel counters get a hold of it. Any deviation in performance is going to blamed on a down clock here and there.

You think it would go over better if they kept it hidden and people decided they'd been lied to?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some of its time isn't most of its time, per Sams' claims.

There's no ambiguity there in so far as the incorrectness of Sams' statement, if we take what Cerny said at face value. If Sams wants to contradict that, that's ok, but I think we'd need more than his say-so on it, with all due respect.

Turning a sometimes into a 'typically' or 'most of the time' could be used to amplify unflattering cases for any piece of hardware, XSX included. I doubt Sams takes such a cynical or skeptical approach there though.
First ray tracing had a new meaning, then natively had a new meaning...

Now some and most do.

Adum

May 30, 2019
We all know what Cerny said. That's the issue. You constantly posting what he said doesn't change the ambiguity in his statements. "It spends most of its time at that frequency". Well that means it spends some of its time not at that frequency. Then he give an example, "To reduce power by 10% it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency." Is 10% the minimum? Can it go to 15%? I guess you're interpreting "a couple of percent" to mean 2%, because a 3% drop takes into 9TF territory, and we can't have that.

I'm not a super technical guy, but even I understand why Sony went with the system they did. They wanted to fix the number one complaint they had about the PS4 and PS4 Pro - noise levels. And since they were sticking with 36cu for BC, they knew they also had to clock high and they designed the entire power management/cooling system of the console around that. This is a compromise. That's what consoles are. In ideal conditions, the console will spend most of it's time at the clock frequencies given by Cerny, and will downclock when needed. He gave us the numbers ("a couple percent" might indeed mean 3% - and I really don't think people should have such an enotional attachment to tf numbers).

And they gave those details about the GPU frequency and because it was a DEEP-DIVE INTO THE PS5 ARCHITECTURE.
That's....kinda what the presentation is about. Are you going to complain when LG starts giving out too much info on it's OLED panels at CES?

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Saying 3% takes it into 9 Tflop territory, whilst technically true, is still pretty disingenuous. In reality 3% would take it to 9.97 Tflop, which could still be rounded up to 10 Tflop anyway.

For Brad Sams points to be true, the PS5 would have to downclock by 10.45% the majority of the time, which would be in direct contradiction to what Cerny has stated. So unless Cerny was flat out lying (which would be highly uncharacteristic and potentially put Sony open to liability), it's considerably more likely Brad Sams is simply making stuff up and/or working off false information, and not caring to seek clarity on it. Given his strong connections to Microsoft, that isn't entirely surprising.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
So bad code cannot behave so that it messes up Ps5 as well? Like it does more damage than what the variable speed can allow?
Here let me use a visual aid to explain it. Below are videos of Modern warfare on PS4 Pro from two different people both overheating with crazy fan noise, from the menu screen.

This is the kind of worst case scenario that Cerny alludes to. It is not "bad code" per say. But i can guess just from looking at that scene and say that the overabundance of alpha particles is what's causing the PS4 Pro GPU to overheat.
2USkaJ3.jpg

Is the GPU doing 4.2TF worth of calculations in this scene? No, there aren't very many polygons being rendered, only one character in the scene, no AI elements, and the lighting is not particularly out of this world, but yet the fan is making a lot of noise. This is simply because the GPU is saturated and drawing a lot of power even though this scene is relatively simple looking. The more power PS4 pro draws, the more heat it produces and then the fan kicks in hard to bring down the temperature.

PS4 Pro has a fixed clock 2.1GHz CPU and 911MHz GPU. Do you need the PS4 Pro to be running at that frequency in that menu? Probably not but It is just going to stay at those clocks and keep on drawing more power as long as you are on that menu. If it gets to a point where the fan cannot keep it under a safe temperature, the fail safe system will cause it to thermal throttle and or shutdown.

On PS5, the cooling solution has been optimized for a known maximum power draw. The clock speed is capped but allowed to dynamically adjust on the fly. If PS5 were to render that same scene, the fan will not kick in that hard because both the CPU and GPU can down clock in order to maintain a predetermine level of power draw. That doesn't mean you can't push it hard enough for it to behave like the PS4 Pro but it is less likely and developers can optimize around that.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I agree I think it's more about noise, especially in map, setting screens vs a PR thing.

We still don't know the form factor yet. A smaller form factor than Series X could have also dictated this.

If we going to keep going by github, leaks they were testing high clocks for the longest time. 2Ghz didn't make sense until it was known PS5 was on RDNA 2 also.

They were testing that before RDNA 2 was even ready IIRC.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Saying 3% takes it into 9 Tflop territory, whilst technically true, is still pretty disingenuous. In reality 3% would take it to 9.97 Tflop, which could still be rounded up to 10 Tflop anyway.

For Brad Sams points to be true, the PS5 would have to downclock by 10.45% the majority of the time, which would be in direct contradiction to what Cerny has stated. So unless Cerny was flat out lying (which would be highly uncharacteristic and potentially put Sony open to liability), it's considerably more likely Brad Sams is simply making stuff up and/or working off false information, and not caring to seek clarity on it. Given his strong connections to Microsoft, that isn't entirely surprising.

Cerny is making a prediction. He could be wrong. He even suggested the possibility of Sony being wrong about use-cases as part of the motivation for having an adaptive system that can cap power draw.

But I'd say he's probably better placed to make that prediction over anyone outside of those who've more contact with developers than he has... I mean who knows... maybe Sams conducted a thorough survey of developers and what they're seeing on PS5 before reaching his own prediction...

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cerny is making a prediction. He could be wrong. He even suggested the possibility of Sony being wrong about use-cases as part of the motivation for having an adaptive system that can cap power draw.

But I'd say he's probably better placed to make that prediction over anyone outside of those who've more contact with developers than he has... I mean who knows... maybe Sams conducted a thorough survey of developers and what they're seeing on PS5 before reaching his own prediction...

I don't think it's the latter at all, especially with such a specific number that just so happens to match the Github rumour perfectly. My guess is Sam is simply stringently sticking to the Github leak, irrespective of what has been announced or stated, but as you've hinted, we can't really know for sure until later into the gen when we learn more.

Adum

May 30, 2019

That's some real reach you got there. You think the numbers given by Sony were just Cerny making a prediction and not the result of hundreds of millions in RnD and years of testing the hardware? You're implying that what Brad stated in the article is just as valid as Sony's numbers because Brad might have talked with developers and maybe reached his own conclusion.

u-huh

dyi4m.jpg

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
And did you just seriously ask if Devs would be interested in PS4 BC? Umm...what? You're kidding, right?
The BC that is not supposed to require any work from developers? Why would it be important that devs hear about this?

See, this is a simple yes or no thing. Either Mark Cerny was lying in an official presentation about the numbers that he provided, or he wasn't. I've seen a lot of people on this very forum use the exact phrase "He's doing his job as an employee of Sony". What does that mean exactly? That he can give false information about a product they're releasing and no one's gonna bat an eye? That Sony gave him the headsup to give out false numbers in an official presentation?
I don't believe Cerny was lying, no. I do believe he was explaining things in the most positive way possible. Also, when you ask about him giving false numbers, what possible way would anyone ever have of verifying anything he said?

Thank You. You summed that up in far fewer words then I could.

Here let me use a visual aid to explain it. Below are videos of Modern warfare on PS4 Pro from two different people both overheating with crazy fan noise, from the menu screen.

This is the kind of worst case scenario that Cerny alludes to. It is not "bad code" per say. But i can guess just from looking at that scene and say that the overabundance of alpha particles is what's causing the PS4 Pro GPU to overheat.
2USkaJ3.jpg

Is the GPU doing 4.2TF worth of calculations in this scene? No, there aren't very many polygons being rendered, only one character in the scene, no AI elements, and the lighting is not particularly out of this world, but yet the fan is making a lot of noise. This is simply because the GPU is saturated and drawing a lot of power even though this scene is relatively simple looking. The more power PS4 pro draws, the more heat it produces and then the fan kicks in hard to bring down the temperature.

PS4 Pro has a fixed clock 2.1GHz CPU and 911MHz GPU. Do you need the PS4 Pro to be running at that frequency in that menu? Probably not but It is just going to stay at those clocks and keep on drawing more power as long as you are on that menu. If it gets to a point where the fan cannot keep it under a safe temperature, the fail safe system will cause it to thermal throttle and or shutdown.

On PS5, the cooling solution has been optimized for a known maximum power draw. The clock speed is capped but allowed to dynamically adjust on the fly. If PS5 were to render that same scene, the fan will not kick in that hard because both the CPU and GPU can down clock in order to maintain a predetermine level of power draw. That doesn't mean you can't push it hard enough for it to behave like the PS4 Pro but it is less likely and developers can optimize around that.
All CPU and GPU use less or more power based on what they are being asked to do. This is not a new and special feature of the PS5.

The fans in the PS4 Pro are loud because it's a cheap fan and a shitty cooling solution, not because the chip can't regulate it's power draw.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
There was a thread with a youtuber deep diving PS5 that I quickly browsed through a few days ago where everyone was like "this is a much better deep dive". Anyone have a link to that video?

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Alot of people here seem intent on forcing the ps5's specs down as low as possible, lol.

Last edited:

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's some real reach you got there. You think the numbers given by Sony were just Cerny making a prediction and not the result of hundreds of millions in RnD and years of testing the hardware? You're implying that what Brad stated in the article is just as valid as Sony's numbers because Brad might have talked with developers and maybe reached his own conclusion.

u-huh

dyi4m.jpg
Sometimes you just have shake your head and laugh at the crazy stuff that people post 😂

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I like to come to this thread to read about the PS5 specs, capabilities, rumors etc, but it always, undoubtedly has someone move the dialogue towards an XSX comparison or downplaying the PS5 specs. I'm not sure what the moderation guidelines here are, but it really would be nice to just have one PS5 thread where the people excited about the console can be excited about it without having to deal with FUD posts or console warring.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

u-huh

dyi4m.jpg

So, if it needed to be said, cos I guess it wasn't very clear - and I guess my reputation no longer precedes me! ;) - my tongue was firmly in cheek with regard to Sams having anything like the insight Cerny has on how games use hardware, or doing any kind of extensive research to back his prediction. I was being a bit sarcastic in that suggestion. And that, of course, Cerny's 'prediction' is a heavily informed one to put it mildly...

I'm certainly not one to defend the enthusiast MS orientated press. I've been excoriating of it in the past in peddling misleading info, and I'm more or less gently wagging my finger here too.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Correct, it's not based on temperature. (Though I'm sure there's still a sensor in there to shut everything down if you try to game outside at noon in the desert.)

It's not based on power draw instead, though.

And it's not just SmartShift either. They include that, but it isn't the main focus. (And we can presume XSX has SmartShift too.)

Here's how I understand the approach, put as briefly as I can. (Note all numbers are illustrative examples, not real measurements.)

GPU power draw and thus temperatures rise based on the amount of transistors in use, and how fast they're clocked. Say you have a big GPU clocked at 1.5Ghz. When running a very simple indie game, all the necessary calculations to render a frame are done well ahead of the next frame having to start. The hardware is idle some of the time so may be 70% utilized, and power draw is commensurately low at 80W. (Note that this doesn't mean only 70% of the hardware is used. All games use all the chip, so in that sense everything from launch games to the last big showcase of the gen are "maxing out the hardware". Utilization here means over time.)

For an ambitious AAA game, the GPU doesn't have much idle time, with each frame being finished just before the next one starts. Power draw and heat are much higher too. Pretty much everyone is familiar with this. But fewer realize that this scenario doesn't represent 100% utilization. That's because in complex modern games, many calculations use input from previous calculations. If a shader needs 3 inputs and only 2 are ready before the next cycle starts, that shader stalls until the missing step completes. These kinds of inefficiencies happen more frequently the more you try to do at once, like in high-impact tentpole releases. The hardware may be 95% utilized, at 160W (power growth isn't linear). This is "heavy max".

That doesn't mean 95% is the ceiling for utilization numbers. Higher does happen, when a highly parallel engine is fed an easier workload. Mr. Cerny used the example of a menu screen, but it could also be a simpler-than-usual view during gameplay, like briefly running down a tight corridor. Unlike the indie, the work isn't so easy it can be finished well before the next frame. But it also isn't very complex like a heavy fight with particles and explosions and destruction, so fewer stalls happen. Thus all silicon may run full-tilt all the time, 100% utilized, with power draw spiking to 200W. This is "fast max".

When designing a system with fixed clocks, you have to predict the worst-case scenario those clocks will encounter. That'll be "fast max", so you put in a power supply and cooling system that handles 200W (not including efficiency and safety margins). But what about gameplay, the thing you're actually trying to provision best? Even the biggest setpiece moments only draw 160W out of your 200W design. Whereas if you clocked up to 1.75GHz, you'd get a lot more compute power to put onscreen. And 95% at 1.75GHz takes the same power as 100% at 1.5GHz, so your power and cooling system is still fine. ...But you can't, because then transient "fast max" loads of 100% at 1.75GHz would draw 250W and shut down your machine.

Here's where Sony's variable solution can help. Go ahead and clock to 1.75GHz to really squeeze all you can from gameplay. What about the "fast max" problem? Well, the power supply is monitoring activity, not draw or thermals. So when it sees 100% utilization, it drops the clocks to 1.5Ghz. There's still plenty of compute to render the easier work of the "fast max" segment, so the user doesn't see any change in quality onscreen. But the power draw stays at 200W instead of going higher. When the game load gets heavy again and utilization drops to 95%, the clock ramps back to 1.75Ghz and all 200W are dedicated to compute.

Hope this is helpful for some.
But it really is just AMD SmartShift.
AMD SmartShift technology allows the processor and the graphics to consume power from a shared power budget by dynamically shifting power depending on the task at hand.
Nothing really distinguishes PS5's approach from AMD SmartShift.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's the latter at all, especially with such a specific number that just so happens to match the Github rumour perfectly. My guess is Sam is simply stringently sticking to the Github leak, irrespective of what has been announced or stated, but as you've hinted, we can't really know for sure until later into the gen when we learn more.
Yeah, I think some XBox supporters are worried that a ~17% TF advantage isn't enough.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
All CPU and GPU use less or more power based on what they are being asked to do. This is not a new and special feature of the PS5.

The fans in the PS4 Pro are loud because it's a cheap fan and a shitty cooling solution, not because the chip can't regulate it's power draw.
Point to where i said it was a new and special feature in PS5.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
SmartShift was explicitly mentioned in the video as one part of the solution. Is this another of Cerny's "lies"?
He referred to SmartShift as the ability to send unused power to the other components, instead of only downclocking one component and making the whole chip consume less power. But SmartShift also take care of the activity monitoring part, so is this anther of AMD's "lies"?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Point to where i said it was a new and special feature in PS5.
You talked about the Pro being loud and then directly pointed to the PS5 as having the solution. The Pro could be a very quiet console if it's cooling solution and fan were of a higher quality.

Also, we have no idea how quiet or loud the PS5 will be, and Cerny made no promises in regards to it being a quiet console.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
The fact is there is just so much we don't know here. If these thermal heat or power spikes were so rare why wouldn't they just be avoidable by the developers? Again, why would you design the consoles clocks around these "rare" instances? Why can't these rare instances just be avoided if they're predictable?

I think there is a reason this approach is so unique, and I dont think it's because it's so brilliant no other GPU/CPU maker has thought of it.

If there was a significant technical advantage surely we would see AMD implement this in their upcoming CPU/GPU coming out this year.

The XB1X is part of the prior generation, and while Microsoft will support it for the early part of this generation, it will eventually be left behind.
But they said nobody will be left behind...

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
You talked about the Pro being loud and then directly pointed to the PS5 as having the solution. The Pro could be a very quiet console if it's cooling solution and fan were of a higher quality.

Also, we have no idea how quiet or loud the PS5 will be, and Cerny made no promises in regards to it being a quiet console.
the whole part of the presentation where he talked about it was addressing the sound complaints related to certain games like God of War with the ps4 pro. if that wasn't enough to signal their intent to fix the issue I don't know what is.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
But they said nobody will be left behind...
at launch......not forever

the whole part of the presentation where he talked about it was addressing the sound complaints related to certain games like God of War with the ps4 pro. if that wasn't enough to signal their intent to fix the issue I don't know what is.
Yes, and I really hope it's a quiet console. But he did make no explicit promises beyond saying they're aware that was something that bothered people.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
It's a bit odd that MS has been pretty open with dropping Xbox Series X tidbits without a peep about Lockhart.
In all of the excitement over the new consoles being unveiled and the horror over a global pandemic people must have forgotten that just last month it was being reported that there was a shortage of DRAM and NAND components that would drive up the prices of these consoles.

If the "Lockhart" console really is just an inferior version of the Series X focused on 1080p then it would use the same chips. Which there is a limited supply of.

Which would mean that MS would need to split what supplies of DRAM and NAND they have between the Series X and Lockhart.

So, then, what happens if one of them is much more popular than the other? What happens if the price of Lockhart makes demand for it much higher than the Series X? Does MS drastically lower production of their premium console to meet Lockhart demand? Where does that put their 12 TF "monster" then?

On the other hand if the Series X demand is greater then that means they handicapped sales of the Series X for the Lockhart and give Sony the "PS5 outsells XSeX!" headlines.

The Lockhart is good for Sony either way.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
You talked about the Pro being loud and then directly pointed to the PS5 as having the solution. The Pro could be a very quiet console if it's cooking solution and fan were of a higher quality.
No i talked about how a simple scene such as modern warfare menu can make the PS4 pro fan spin very fast even though what is being rendered is not particularly taxing. And contrasted it with how a system designed like PS5 will not behave the same way. I never said being able to adjust power was a new and special feature of PS5. I said PS5 being able to adjust its clock dynamically unlike PS4 Pro will allow it to down clock in a similar situation to reduce the amount of power being drawn in the exact same scene thereby not needing the fan to spin faster to keep temperature under control.

Adum

May 30, 2019
The BC that is not supposed to require any work from developers? Why would it be important that devs hear about this?
For one thing, maybe Sony just wanted to give out more details about the BC simply because that was the core tenet around which the entire console was designed.

I don't believe Cerny was lying, no. I do believe he was explaining things in the most positive way possible. Also, when you ask about him giving false numbers, what possible way would anyone ever have of verifying anything he said?
I think this is what people call a straw man argument. You think Cerny is being intentionally misleading about the PS5's capabilities because there's no way we can check it right now? I just don't want to go down the very obvious and childish sinkhole you just opened...since we have no way to verify it then obviously the Hellblade 2 demo (the only real next-gen game we've seen) could have been pre-rendered. Obviously MS said that it was inengine but how can we be sure? They could have just done it all in CGI and introduced the artifacting and slight imperfections we saw in the trailer to emulate what an in-engine demo might look like.

So, if it needed to be said, cos I guess it wasn't very clear - and I guess my reputation no longer precedes me! ;) - my tongue was firmly in cheek with regard to Sams having anything like the insight Cerny has on how games use hardware, or doing any kind of extensive research to back his prediction. I was being a bit sarcastic in that suggestion. And that, of course, Cerny's 'prediction' is a heavily informed one to put it mildly...

I'm certainly not one to defend the enthusiast MS orientated press. I've been excoriating of it in the past in peddling misleading info, and I'm more or less gently wagging my finger here too.
Ah, lol my bad then.

I just dislike people from any camp spreading misinformation like they're doing the world a favour.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
at launch......not forever

Yes, and I really hope it's a quiet console. But he did make no explicit promises beyond saying they're aware that was something that bothered people.
He said something along the line of "after the teardown people will be happy to see the [cooling] solution the engineering team came up with", so I guess there are some explicit promises.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
No i talked about how a simple scene such as modern warfare menu can make the PS4 pro fan spin very fast even though what is being rendered is not particularly taxing. And contrasted it with how a system designed like PS5 will not behave the same way. I never said being able to adjust power was a new and special feature of PS5. I said PS5 being able to adjust its clock dynamically unlike PS4 Pro will allow it to down clock in a similar situation to reduce the amount of power being drawn in the exact same scene thereby not needing the fan to spin faster to keep temperature under control.
The XB1X is a quiet console and it's more powerful than the PS4 Pro. Why? Because it has a better cooling solution. This is not about power draw.

I think this is what people call a straw man argument. You think Cerny is being intentionally misleading about the PS5's capabilities because there's no way we can check it right now? I just don't want to go down the very obvious and childish sinkhole you just opened...since we have no way to verify it then obviously the Hellblade 2 demo (the only real next-gen game we've seen) could have been pre-rendered. Obviously MS said that it was inengine but how can we be sure? They could have just done it all in CGI and introduced the artifacting and slight imperfections we saw in the trailer to emulate what an in-engine demo might look like.
Any sales pitch involves amplifying the positives and minimizing the negatives. I believe he's done a very good job of that. You can label that whatever you want, but I would not suggest lies were told, no. I'm not interested in going back and forth with you as it seems you are just wanting to argue.

He said something along the line of "after the teardown people will be happy to see the [cooling] solution the engineering team came up with", so I guess there are some explicit promises.
I'm glad to hear that. I tuned out of that talk halfway through.

Oct 25, 2017
Because he's talking to people who have worked on PS4 games. Obviously.
Their recent efforts will continue to generate income for their company instead of that income cratering.

Also, publisher employees also attend GDC.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

But Cerny did...?

Have some ppl actually watched the GDC stream?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
But Cerny did...?

Have some ppl actually watched the GDC stream?
Yes, he was selling a console. Do you really think he would say "boy, that cheap cooling and loud fan we put in the Pro sure do make a lot of noise, am I rite"?

We already have consoles that are very quiet that did not need variable clocks to accomplish that. That's all you need to know on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.