• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yeah could be. Honestly though I wouldn't worry too much about that. Use of ML in games is still out there, and the ML I could see being useful in games wouldn't require that much resources:
- In the DLSS2.0 thread some are claiming that Control's implementation of DLSS does not even use the tensor cores and still only incurs a modest performance cost. We also know that PS5 at the very least has FP16 operations which should divide this cost by two (apparently it's implemented with FP32 in Control). Moreover, quantizing the weights of a neural net into INT8/4 is not the only way to speed it up. For instance, Google has some other approach that searches a smaller neural net that performs close to the larger one. That's another way to speed things up if necessary.
- Other uses of ML would be complex physics simulation (e.g. fluids). However, the networks here would be much much smaller than what you'll typically see in image processing (e.g. DLSS).
- You might have AI opponents? I don't know, Forza tried it, don't know how it worked out. But here again, the computational cost wouldn't be an issue. Pretty sure such small computations could run on a single thread on CPU and not even max it out.

Hopefully, there are other exciting uses of ML in games. Even if INT4/8 is not exclusive to XSX or that decisive, it's nice that Microsoft is pushing for ML and hopefully it'll lead to something interesting. My dream would be to have NPCs that learn and adapt from the player. But pfiou pretty out there for sure.
Right now I'm way more interested in the application of ML as it refers to asset creation.

e.g.
thenewstack.io

Deep Learning AI Generates Realistic Game Graphics by Learning from Videos

Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Nvidia (the company that invented the graphics processing unit or GPU) recently demonstrated how it is possible to generate synthetic 3D gaming environment using a neural network that has been trained on real videos of cityscapes.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is new thread worthy so I'll just post it here:

www.pushsquare.com

Sony Wants Playing PS5 Games to Be 'as Easy as Netflix'

Load up games immediately
The fun thing about the SSD speed is that things like that patent could lead to Playstation Home actually working properly. They could do it like a Holodeck where a party walks into an empty room, the screen turns white for a few seconds, then you're spawning in the game. Would be really cool in VR. I'm still opposed to Playstation Home for a default UI, but the concept could actually work with load times that fast.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Right now I'm way more interested in the application of ML as it refers to asset creation.

e.g.
thenewstack.io

Deep Learning AI Generates Realistic Game Graphics by Learning from Videos

Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Nvidia (the company that invented the graphics processing unit or GPU) recently demonstrated how it is possible to generate synthetic 3D gaming environment using a neural network that has been trained on real videos of cityscapes.
As someone working on autonomous driving once told me, it's easy to make an AI that drives well 99% of the time. Getting that last 1% right is a different problem altogether. If you're willing to accept that a small percent of your outcomes make absolutely no sense then it's fine to use these statistical methods. But I wouldn't want to play a video game where the lanes are all fucked up like in the video above :p

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

AMD Uses DMCA to Mitigate Massive GPU Source Code Leak (Updated) * TorrentFreak

AMD has filed at least two DMCA notices against Github repos that carried "stolen" source code relating to AMD's Navi and Arden GPUs, the latter being the processor for the upcoming Xbox Series X. The person claiming responsibility for the leak informs TorrentFreak that if they doesn't get a...

This one
Wow - wants 100 million dollars. Also console related info.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HZD2 will be mind blowing, can't wait. Give me flying mounts GG.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
As someone working on autonomous driving once told me, it's easy to make an AI that drives well 99% of the time. Getting that last 1% right is a different problem altogether. If you're willing to accept that a small percent of your outcomes make absolutely no sense then it's fine to use these statistical methods. But I wouldn't want to play a video game where the lanes are all fucked up like in the video above :p
There's a better source I couldn't find. It talks about a tool sampling different types of architecture or structures to generate unique arches or huts. Then a visual artist checks and touches up the results.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
There's a better source I couldn't find. It talks about a tool sampling different types of architecture or structures to generate unique arches or huts. Then a visual artist checks and touches up the results.
Yeah neural networks are great interpolators and would def. generate interesting mashups of whatever was fed to them. I was not aware of this, sounds like a nice way to procedurally generate data and if someone touches it up after then no risk of weird results. Though, I was rather thinking of real time usage of ML where hardware customization could make a difference.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
He is clearly not a fan of PlayStation and that's fine as long as he is objective in his analysis of game performance. His speculation as to how things will play out with these consoles and their components is speculation though and he is no where near as qualified to discuss this as devs that are actually making games.
At least have the balls to tag the person you are attempting to slander.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What did I say about him that is a lie? He strongly prefers PC and he isn't a dev.
All those insiders that were worshipped here: all had "dev sources". Look how that played out.
All what Dictator did was stating the obvious but as always his comments were taken out of context.
If people would actually read the full comments and not only excerpts they would know that.
I wished people would have the patience to wait for some games to actually see the difference instead of chasing phantasies.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
All those insiders that were worshipped here: all had "dev sources". Look how that played out.
All what Dictator did was stating the obvious but as always his comments were taken out of context.
If people would actually read the full comments and not only excerpts they would know that.
I wished people would have the patience to wait for some games to actually see the difference instead of chasing phantasies.
twitter.com

Andrew Maximov on Twitter

“@Tyler496 @Mugenory21 @SeanReli @wccftechdotcom Oh wow yeah the Digital Foundry guy is quite wrong. Which is quite uncharacteristic as those guys are usually pretty on point”
Turns out not so obvious;d
But agree that bringing Dictator to console war is silly

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Whatever advantages XSX has will amount to an imperceptible 1% difference in resolution at most. The advantages that PS5 possess will bring forward a paradigm shattering revolution in game design. At least that's what I learned from browsing Era over the past week.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whatever advantages XSX has will amount to an imperceptible 1% difference in resolution at most. The advantages that PS5 possess will bring forward a paradigm shattering revolution in game design. At least that's what I learned from browsing Era over the past week.

You had me in the first half, not going to lie.

Oct 27, 2017
About Dictator post downplaying PS5's SSD to change how creating worlds could change:

twitter.com

“@Tyler496 @Mugenory21 @SeanReli @wccftechdotcom Oh wow yeah the Digital Foundry guy is quite wrong. Which is quite uncharacteristic as those guys are usually pretty on point”
Remember, as well intentioned as tech journalists try to be, their technical knowledge of the nitty-gritty within the context of console-based games development is limited at best (unless they are a former console game dev). These are not off-the-shelf PC parts and PC architectural paradigms don't necessarily apply here. I think they are getting a lot of things wrong and making a lot of unfounded assumptions. I would caution them to wait to get more information before trying to make an assessment on comparative performance and capabilities.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
SSD matters more than anything else apparently.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
twitter.com

Turns out not so obvious;d
But agree that bringing Dictator to console war is silly
If that tweet would actually explain why Dictator is wrong that would actually an interesting conversation. But there is nothing. Just a drive-by ...
Again, patience. The games will do the talk. Be excited about it. For both consoles one thing is valid: CPU and SSD will bring some big leaps.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Btw Colbert what are your thoughts on the PS5s specs?
I think the PS5 will be a decent console. Always thought that based on what I predicted. Now it seems to be even slightly better.

How the variable frequency under a shared power target will turn out has to be seen. Fixed specs was something consoles always benefited from. As I understand it, there will be profiles, so all consoles out there perform the same under the same profile.

The SSD speeds on paper are impressive.

I was of course surprised about the storage capacity and also reduced the memory bandwidth (compared to Github test data) but I think those decision were made to reduce cost and in effect to be able to take less of a loss with the targeted price point.

That they did not show us the form factor let me believe they still "optimizing" on that front because of "my gosh 2230 Mhz".

I am really curious about the cooling solution and the form factor Sony come up with.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
If that tweet would actually explain why Dictator is wrong that would actually an interesting conversation. But there is nothing. Just a drive-by ...

Again, patience. The games will do the talk. Be excited about it. For both consoles one thing is valid: CPU and SSD will bring some big leaps.

What can he explain that what he said before using an image. The game will do the talk. Wait and see!

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So true that my next upgrade will be the fastest ssd available instead of upgrading my gpu. It will save me hundreds upon hundrends of euros.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That dev could have brought an example, just like Dictator did.

Read the thread Twitter there is an example. When he said Nathan Drake hair he talk about the cutscene model, he think we have the power but not the memory or streaming speed to display it in gameplay. And many other things aren't done on current gen game because it takes too much memory or streaming capacity. Geometry, Textures, motion matching animation or sound are only the tip of the iceberg. All people think baked lighting but the next step is tree of Interpolated animation for tons of stuff on screen. It means baked complex physical simulation offline(clothes,smoke, hair, fluid and so on...) and use it in game and it is Interpolated with realtime content like light probe.

Imagine all characters with clothes animation as good as the character in Adam Unity demo but in game, they use this system in this demo with Alembic Animation. ;)

Edit: The guy gives of the best GDC talk a few years ago anticipating what will arrive today and quit ND because he was thinking content creation will become a problem because we will be able to create much more content because of RAM and streaming limit been surpassed.

This one is a must:

Last edited:

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Can you point out just one post where someone claims what you have said? We probably would have higher quality discussions if people stopped making snarky posts claiming things that never happened.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Read the thread Twitter there is an example. And other things aren't done on current gen game because it takes too much memory or streaming capacity. Geometry, Textures, motion matching animation or sound are only the tip of the iceberg. All people think baked lighting but the next step is tree of Interpolated animation for tons of stuff on screen. It means baked complex physical simulation offline and use it in game and it is Interpolated with realtime content like light probe.

Imagine all characters with clothes animation as good as the character in Adam Unity demo but in-game...
Not in the thread where he answered to the article.

And if you talk about this:
twitter.com

“Just saw the new @PlayStation #PS5 presentation. Great job @cerny! Since I routinely have to explain to people why I'm excited for an SSD for rendering I thought I'd write a little thread to explain. Case in point: Uncharted 1 to Last of Us transition:”
That is actually valid for any NVMEs SSD ... (which was actually the point Dictator was trying to make)

Me too. Best part of Cerny's talk was the fact that he acknowledged PS4 sounding like a jet engine lol.
I missed that soundbite actually :)

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Not in the thread where he answered to the article.

And if you talk about this:
twitter.com

“Just saw the new @PlayStation #PS5 presentation. Great job @cerny! Since I routinely have to explain to people why I'm excited for an SSD for rendering I thought I'd write a little thread to explain. Case in point: Uncharted 1 to Last of Us transition:”
That is actually valid for any NVMEs SSD ..

Yes but with PS5 you will be able to do more. ;) This is the rule the faster is the SSD speed it means you can more assets, more variety of asset, more baked things or at better quality and so on... ;)

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's in line with it's GPU it seems. 446GB/s isn't "slow".

I have no idea how limiting it will be, but it certainly is comparable to the 448GB/s of the RTX 2080 which seems to be the closest match to PS5 GPU from the bits we know.
You have contention there with consoles
Read the thread Twitter there is an example. And other things aren't done on current gen game because it takes too much memory or streaming capacity. Geometry, Textures, motion matching animation or sound are only the tip of the iceberg.
Now wait a minute - if you notice you are comparing it to last gen. Which I happily reported on and have said multiple times that these consoles will change game design due to their CPUs, SSDs, and perhaps GPUs even as well. My point was, quite importantly, that both next gen consoles will do it in a manner that is very similar!

My whole talking about procedural vs. bespoke asset production was to counter the notion that it is wise to be constantly drawing unique assets from disk in an open world game. I never said "it is not something possible", rather that it goes against the trends in game development to keep costs, production and artist time down to make every single thing completely unique and therefore needing to swap out large portions of the RAM/VRAM constantly (and also using a lot of SSD Disk space as well).

I then mentioned examples of areas where I think swapping out a lot of the VRAM constantly for visual assets is appropriate (but also, still costly for disk space): I mentioned very detailed bake lighting as an example. Then chris 1515 smartly mentioned alembic animations could also be one, although it remains to be seen what kind of alembic use case that would mean. Doom Eternal uses allembic in nearly every frame in some levels for the writhing hell stuff you see, on current gen consoles no less. But in another game a large open world... you would have to think about what that kind of allembic might be. And realistically. Trees and grass moving? Would you rather have that be an allembic animation that is essentiallly static in its patterns and movement? Or would you have it be a vertex colour animation which you could tie into procedural systems like wind and player interaction?

Maybe the distant water scapes? Same question about its interactivity.

Something else that is crazy? IDK

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You have contention there with consoles

Now wait a minute - if you notice you are comparing it to last gen. Which I happily reported on and have said multiple times that these consoles will change game design due to their CPUs, SSDs, and perhaps GPUs even as well. My point was, quite importantly, that both next gen consoles will do it in a manner that is very similar!

My whole talking about procedural vs. bespoke asset production was to counter the notion that it is wise to be constantly drawing unique assets from disk in an open world game. I never said "it is not something possible", rather that it goes against the trends in game development to keep costs, production and artist time down to make every single thing completely unique and therefore needing to swap out large portions of the RAM/VRAM constantly (and also using a lot of SSD Disk space as well).

I then mentioned examples of areas where I think swapping out a lot of the VRAM constantly for visual assets is appropriate (but also, still costly for disk space): I mentioned very detailed bake lighting as an example. Then chris 1515 smartly mentioned alembic animations could also be one, although it remains to be seen what kind of alembic use case that would mean. Doom Eternal uses allembic in nearly every frame in some levels for the writhing hell stuff you see, on current gen consoles no less. But in another game a large open world... you would have to think about what that kind of allembic might be. And realistically. Trees and grass moving? Would you rather have that be an allembic animation that is essentiallly static in its patterns and movement? Or would you have it be a vertex colour animation which you could tie into procedural systems like wind and player interaction?

Maybe the distant water scapes? Same question about its interactivity.

Something else that is crazy? IDK

Clothes animation ;) for example and baked does not means static like it is dynamic like for light probes. Like I said current gen is not next gen wait a little to see the game. ;)

Edit: I speak about the Sony SSD since May 2019 and I said since this day since this Sony patent gofreak found, it is the Sony PS5 SSD. At this time no idea of the speed. I told it will have decompressor, SRAM and a fully custom controller the only thing I did not know was the clever coherency engine and GPU scrubbers.. And I said later here and in B3D the Sony SSD will be faster than 7GB/s with compressed data but all people were thinking I am crazy. You can verify my post history here and see my post on B3D. And listen to what people in the industry have to say and I repeat wait the game.

polycount.com

Is alembic cache worth it ?

So apperntly Ue4 4.13 supports alembic cache animations, I'm not sure what it is but my understanding is It creates a geometry cache of an animation using a skeleton, am i right ?

The cache method saves vertices animation rather than bones.
You probably want to use this only for stuff that can't be animated at runtime or require a costly physics setup like a building exploding, cables or ropes breaking or a complex cloth simulation.

After the performance and the memory and streaming will limit what you can do but it will be much more than this gen...

Last edited:

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Can you point out just one post where someone claims what you have said? We probably would have higher quality discussions if people stopped making snarky posts claiming things that never happened.
You're being dishonest if you claim that such sentiment is not dominant among a large portion of the Era users. Just the discussion at hand is about how Dictator is a Playstation basher because he does not think the difference in the SSD speed is crucial for next-gen games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol. sony's abysmal marketing has left me to wonder if the ssd advantages are going to end up being just like MS's power of the cloud claims. if only they wouldve showed a demo or a gameplay walkthrough so we can see this mystical ssd in action.

until then their claims will be dismissed by guys like Dictator and straight up mocked by forum users like many on this page. i dont think i have ever seen marketing this bad before.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clothes animation ;) for example and baked does not means static like in light probes. Like I said current gen is not next gen wait a little to see the game. ;)

Edit: I speak about the Sony SSD since May 2019 and I said since this day since this time Sony parent gofreak found is the Sony I told it will have decompressor, SRAM and a fully custom controller the only thing I did not know was the clever coherency engine and GPU scrubbers.. And I said here and in B3D the Sony SSD will be faster than 7GB/s with compressed data but all people were thinking I am crazy. You can verify my post history here and see my post on B3D. And listen to what people in the industry have to say and I repeat wait the game.

polycount.com

Is alembic cache worth it ?

So apperntly Ue4 4.13 supports alembic cache animations, I'm not sure what it is but my understanding is It creates a geometry cache of an animation using a skeleton, am i right ?

After the performance and the memory and streaming will limit what you can do but it will be much more than this gen...
i can vouch for chris. i saw him talk about 7 gbps many times.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
In the video Road to PS5, Mark Cerny talk about R&D for the SSD during 2015 and 2016 and all patent are from 2015/2016. Maybe some first party teams and VIP third party teams were able to work with a prototype and redesign the game engine around SSD since 2017. For example, Guerrilla Games prepare a PS5 game since 2017.

Mark Cerny told PS5 R&D began in 2015 and the first things done was the SSD probably a slower prototype and without Coherency engine(maybe an idea added after feedback of dev team...).

Status
Not open for further replies.