• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I clearly mentioned that in the old thread that it was always considered a poor way to design a console. It didn't just come from me. That was a near unanimous consensus.

I was corrected on the 10 tflops figure and i even edited my post. I just don't see how you can design a console with the same thermal footprint and still come out 20% under your direct competitor.

I also mentioned other parts that are just as expensive. You ignored my point about virtually everything being worse and for ssd speed. Even the ssd size. So please do discuss the content of my post and tell me How do they launch this thing for $399?

To me this is a $499 console that they will be forced to sell for $449 now that they have come under every spec aside from ssd.
I can see why they did what they did. I mean if doing it gets them to be able to clock it as high as 2.23Ghz. that's something.

More importantly, though, I think people are missing something about why they could also have used a smaller chip. If it can even be called that. There is SRAM in the chip specifically there to do SSD stuff and is how they get the whole zero loading times thingy they are pushing.

Yes, everything else seems to be worse, but let's be honest here... to what degree? How noticeable will those differences be? And as I have said already, people will notice a two times SSD performance sooner than they would notice a 16% GPU disadvantage.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox has said the same things about being able to create new game worlds that were impossible without SSDs, and in fact they of course have already said that Xbox Series X games cannot be played from an externally connected HDD due to the reliance on the SSD. And they absolutely talked specifically about pretty much completely removing the CPU load with I/O and streaming of game assets and textures.

Hardware Decompression
– Hardware decompression is a dedicated hardware component introduced with Xbox Series X to allow games to consume as little space as possible on the SSD while eliminating all CPU overhead typically associated with run-time decompression. It reduces the software overhead of decompression when operating at full SSD performance from more than three CPU cores to zero – thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better gameplay and improved framerates. Hardware decompression is one of the components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS)
– A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm ready for fast load times and next level world design from these exclusives. I understand people wanted more TF but I am very pleased with these specs, just need to see a proper event with the games now.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It most likely ends at simply faster loading.

In multiplatforms probably (it could feasibly improve asset detail/texture streaming speed)...

When it comes to exclusives I think people do need to understand this on some level:
Games on XSX are going to be held back by also having to work with a 5400RPM HDD.
Games on PS5 can take advantage of loading from SSD two orders of magnitude faster.

Some perspective is helpful at times. The XSX has a GPU that is twice as powerful as the X1X. The PS5's memory bandwidth is more like one hundred times faster than the PS4 Pro's. There's plenty to be excited about in terms of what the additional CPU and GPU power will mean for the XSX and PS5, especially when it comes to the new tech like raytracing... but the shift from HDD to SSD is this generation's true revolution. Unfortunately it's only when we stop having to develop games around HDDs that it will really, really matter.

Xbox has said the same things about being able to create new game worlds that were impossible without SSDs, and in fact they of course have already said that Xbox Series X games cannot be played from an externally connected HDD due to the reliance on the SSD. And they absolutely talked specifically about pretty much completely removing the CPU load with I/O and streaming of game assets and textures.

This is more about the future of the XSX rather than what you'll see initially. For the next couple of years all multiplatform games (including all Microsoft exclusives) are going to be targeted at hardware which doesn't have a guaranteed SSD. It would be extremely challenging to build a game which both took full advantage of an SSD and still work on an HDD.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Is there diminishing returns for Tflops? In pure compute I'd guess no, but for games?
Didn't we reach some point with fillrate where it lost its marketing factor?

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

That what I want to know if PS5 bring these same tech for their I/O system ?

Because I have the feeling that MS is putting more on techno software to have better management of SSD resources thanks to the CPU so no need to have a lot of GB / s and be more economical.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, both those features are super nice and will give the XSX an edge over PC's. The difference is the PS5 has even more (two I/O coprocessors, dedicated DMA controller, built-in SRAM on the controller, and the coherency engines). Both machines will be a step above what's available right now but it does seem like the PS5 went crazy on their I/O tech.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

It honestly feels like the SSD tech in the PS5 is going to lead to the biggest leap in game design we've seen since the transition from 2D to 3D.

I can't speak for anybody else, but this is the exact kind of architecture I was saying would truly satisfy me. If someone came to me and asked if I wanted to give up a bit of pixel-pushing for the fastest drive I would take it without hesitation.

In my opinion, ultra fast drive speeds like the PS5 one are the true generational game changing technology. Series X is pretty good as well. However, the PS5 one is like a dream come true and I can't wait to see how it translates to everything from game design to lightning fast OS features.
This stuff sounds incredible. I think like many of these paradigm shift game design advancements the players won't realize they want it until they see it, and then it'll clearly be the way forward. So yeah, while this presentation isn't what I expected, I'm even more excited now about what the next generation holds.

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
Simple Question for you all, if Demon's souls remaster got announced at the end would it have made feel different about the entire presentation and system as a whole?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
That what I want to know if PS5 bring these same tech for their I/O system ?

Because I have the feeling that MS is putting more on techno software to have better management of SSD resources thanks to the CPU so no need to have a lot of GB / s and be more economical.

Sony clearly has more raw read speed, but there are obviously going to be diminishing returns at some point there based on what you even need to be getting from the drive compared to the order of magnitude faster GDDR6 memory bandwidth. I would definitely caution against any assumptions being made about differences between the two in terms of game world design and texture streaming at this point.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.

Thanks for this info.

I could have your opinion on technologies like DirectStorage / SFS / Hardware Decompression ? Will this help use the SSD more efficiently ?

DirectStorage – DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Ok, so the 16% GPU advantage XSXhas over the PS5 and the 25% bandwidth advantage it has (for the 10GB of RA that applies to and the 3% CPU advantage it has makes all the difference.

And yet, the 110% SSD bandwidth and 20%raster advantages the PS5 has are negligible?

Those consoles are closer than two competing consoles has ever been. The thing to note s that he areas the XSX is better would at best result to something that is not all that obvious. We are talking both consoles running at a game at 4K and a locked framerate but one dropping to 1800p about 25% of the time. Good luck being able to spot that.

I would talk about o hePS5 SSD would be great and how much of a real-world difference it would make... but no need for that.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
This was a bad marketing move by Sony but it doesn't matter much.
About the SSD, maybe I'm wrong but I really don't believe it will make a huge difference. I mean the XBX has already a very fast SSD, more than 50 times faster than the Xbox one. I don't think the 2x advantage the PS5 has will make a huge difference.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Sony clearly has more raw read speed, but there are obviously going to be diminishing returns at some point there based on what you even need to be getting from the drive compared to the order of magnitude faster GDDR6 memory bandwidth. I would definitely caution against any assumptions being made about differences between the two in terms of game world design and texture streaming at this point.

Same for me. I think all games possible on PS5 using its SSD can be done on Series X.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
sorry wwhat?

Order of magnitude faster GDDR6 memory bandwidth? I don't think you know what that phrase means.

Roland

Oct 28, 2017
They said this was intended as a GDC presentation and it definitely came off like that kindof talk. Definitely not something tailored at all for a mass market.

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't matter what's being intended, only what's being perceived. We're not talking legal or personal stuff here, were talking about a product, and the thirst for a reveal of that product. Sony is out of touch if they thought this is a good move.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Of course Sony will make some really great games that look amazing on the PS5 hardware, and they have great artists in the first party studios to help do so. But let's not pretend that the TF gap in the ideal scenario when PS5 can maintain its maximum performance output isn't very real compared to the Xbox Series X. Everyone focuses on the percentage difference, but you are still talking about 1.875 TF paper raw power TF difference which is more than the current PS4 TF power and probably more like 1.5 PS4s difference when RDNA architecture efficiency is considered. God of War came from 1.84 TF, so this is some very handy additional power for developers to utilize however they choose (particularly Xbox first party studios).

In general I would expect based on this, the higher clocked CPU in the Xbox Series X and the higher memory bandwidth that multiplatform games will generally maintain a higher pixel count and more stable frame rates than PS5, along with some further headroom for turning on some of the higher "PC graphics settings" and likely options for more complete ray tracing use on Xbox Series X since it has a CU advantage here of 52-36. Now this won't be a massive difference or matter at all to many, but the power is the power. The SSD, while great, can only result in two possible advantages of (1) faster loading times at game launch by some amount TBD based on a particular game (seems likely) and (2) possibly some less "pop in" during gameplay which isn't as sure IMO yet given the Xbox detailed talk about their approach to texture and game asset streaming too.
I didn't see how this was a difference maker for the X against the Pro. Only game that was clearly superior was RDR 2. So what will third party devs do with that additional 1.8 TF that's mind blowing?

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it and no tech demo for a tech talk? Ok sure that's one way to go. I have a feeling Sony is not ready for production on PS5 (or rushed based on MS being ready and hitting full stride) e.g. no console to show, no tech demo.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so the 16% GPU advantage XSXhas over the PS5 and the 25% bandwidth advantage it has (for the 10GB of RA that applies to and the 3% CPU advantage it has makes all the difference.

And yet, the 110% SSD bandwidth and 20%raster advantages the PS5 has are negligible?

Those consoles are closer than two competing consoles has ever been. The thing to note s that he areas the XSX is better would at best result to something that is not all that obvious. We are talking both consoles running at a game at 4K and a locked framerate but one dropping to 1800p about 25% of the time. Good luck being able to spot that.

I would talk about o hePS5 SSD would be great and how much of a real-world difference it would make... but no need for that.

Come on now, I won't go back and forth after this. But raw read speeds of the SSD at this point don't tell us whether we will see any meaningful differences in real gameplay (not small load time differences) and game world design given the clear architecture by Xbox too in this area. And these same new massive game worlds that will be possible will no doubt be taxing these systems soon enough in terms of being able to maintain target resolution and frame rates. I am not saying it will be 1440p versus 4K or anything like that, but I would expect that Xbox Series X will much more consistently provide a higher end graphical experience.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The SSD, while great, can only result in two possible advantages of (1) faster loading times at game launch by some amount TBD based on a particular game (seems likely) and (2) possibly some less "pop in" during gameplay which isn't as sure IMO yet given the Xbox detailed talk about their approach to texture and game asset streaming too.

This is such nonsense.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't 3rd party developers' desire for parity going to limit what they might seek to do on the PS5 using the SSD? This a completely made up and unrealistic scenario, but say the SSD can make a 3rd party game on PS5 look 5 times better than the Series X version with no load times, no loading corridors, or loading elevators, for example. Wouldn't 3rd party devs just make it mirror the Series X version to achieve parity, especially since it seems like MS wants games to be playable on Xbox One and Series X and scale accordingly?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

This stuff i find interesting any idea on how the SSD speed will effect mutliplat titles.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This was a bad marketing move by Sony but it doesn't matter much.
About the SSD, maybe I'm wrong but I really don't believe it will make a huge difference. I mean the XBX has already a very fast SSD, more than 50 times faster than the Xbox one. I don't think the 2x advantage the PS5 has will make a huge difference.
Ok... lets say that hypothetically the XSX can stream 2GB of data into RAM at any given time. The PS5 can stream 4GB.

If a dev wants parity between the XSX and the PS5 with regards to that streaming stuff, that dev would basically have to have a 2GB buffer in RAM to preload stuff that the game may need in the XSX to account for the PS5 being able to get all that data on the fly.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
This is such nonsense.

Please tell me based on what has now been publicly revealed for both the PS5 and Xbox Series X the specific things that the PS5 is going to be able to do that the Series X cannot in terms of gameplay design beyond the couple of areas I mentioned. The talk about game assets being streamed and more dense worlds is all baked into the Xbox architectural approach too per everything they have shared.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks for finally giving people like me a good description of how this will be beneficial for the PS5.

It may not be as powerful but it's good to hear that it will be able to do some cool stuff that'll be unique or somewhat unique to the system.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
No they didn't, infact he literally clarified with Eurogamer how the PS5's clocks aren't boosted. The PS5 essentially on rare occasion downclocks frequencies a tiny amount (around ~2% according to Cerny, which means performance is still far closer to 10.3 Tflops than 9.2 Tflops) if the power draw load (not temperature) exceeds a set threshold. According to Cerny, 10.3 Tflops is the typical performance that the system operates at the majority of the time.

Face it, the Github leak was wrong or out of date.

Digital Foundry says otherwise...

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017

I don't really understand tech so wanted to ask if you could, even if you could stream the highest level of LOD assets in the game, wouldn't that still have to be rendered by the GPU. What are generally the functions of the GPU in this case when there's such fast SSD.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... and you both know we're still going to buy it to play GoW 2.

Sigh.

It isn't the 9.2TF nightmare scenario, but it isn't great.

That SSD had better be something magical.
lmao at your avatar. thats not right. i think he was just given false info.

as for gow2. lets face it, it will be on pc. it will probably be cheaper to get a 20 tflops rtx 3080 than buy both of these $500 consoles, add in their $60 yearly subs and i can probably go with the $1,200 ti version and be set for native 4k 60 fps for the rest of the gen. i dont see this console doing anything more than 1440p or 4kcb 30 fps for games like gow.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

😳
Open world RE3 like survival horror game on next gen needs to happen.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I just wanna say that the second Cerny compared the audio stuff to Dead Space I was total on board with the 3D sound. Dead Space is still unparalleled in audio design.

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
Maybe this isn't the place to ask, but what does this mean for pcs? When will this fancy ssd tech (or something similar) find it's way there?

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
lmao at your avatar. thats not right. i think he was just given false info.

as for gow2. lets face it, it will be on pc. it will probably be cheaper to get a 20 tflops rtx 3080 than buy both of these $500 consoles, add in their $60 yearly subs and i can probably go with the $1,200 ti version and be set for native 4k 60 fps for the rest of the gen. i dont see this console doing anything more than 1440p or 4kcb 30 fps for games like gow.
So happy that I got a good job so I can buy me a pc. If was stuck with only being able to afford a ps5 I would be so fucking depressed lol. Still gonna buy ps5 later when exclusive come out

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Guys, the PS5 is not a 9.2 TF machine. Given how Sony is handling the variable clocks, the PS5 is a 10.3 TF machine ~95% of the time. The 10% drop being thrown around is temps for a 2% drop in clock rate.

But I also think it is not a 10.2 TeraFLOPS machine, it is a 10.2 TeraFLOPS machine in the best case scenario and peak performance. Personally I strongly doubt it will be able to stay at this level for "most of the time". I'm not saying he is lying, but I also won't take his word, as he wasn't always completely honest about this stuff.

For example wow at the damage control from him: 36 CUs are easier to program for than 48 CUs. really Cerny? the man is really good with words and downplaying the competition's advantage.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that, but it doesn't matter what's being intended, only what's being perceived. We're not talking legal or personal stuff here, were talking about a product, and the thirst for a reveal of that product. Sony is out of touch if they thought this is a good move.
I'm just saying this wasn't put together as a product reveal.

Certainly the decision to spam all Sony/Playstation social media channels with the announcement to drive general consumers to this was ill advised.
For this forum it should be fine - but it certainly wasn't even trying to generate hype, which is how it's being judged.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
I am a PlayStation fan but even I think Sony got caught with there pants down. They seemed hell bent on matching the CU count to match PS4 pro to aid backwards compatibility, then don't deliver full backwards compatiblity? The same CU count as PS4 pro... Really, I mean wtf. I don't think Cerny has the know how to bring a powerful quiet console to market. Obviously we don't how loud ps5 is but I sold my PS4 pro cause it was so loud. It was a terrible design. Now ps5 is pushing over 2.2 GHz on the GPU, higher clocks than I've ever seen on any air cooled GPU in a PC? Obviously GitHub was right and it was gonna be 9.2 tf at 2 GHz, and Sony have reacted to xbox series x 12tf. How is this gonna be a quiet machine. Then trying to spin variable clock speed as a great new console innovation. I mean wow. The whole point of consoles is that everybody gets the same performance. This design is gonna lead to some consoles getting lower performance than others surly. The SSD is fast but like we've seen with fast ssd's vs faster ssd's on PC, it don't amount to shit in real world performance. No doubt it's still a very powerful machine and Sony has some great games. I'll likely get one if it's has an acceptable noise level, I just feel Sony could of done so much more. If Microsoft can deliver some compelling single player AAA games as well as keep gamepass games coming at the same level then I feel this new gen is there for the taking. Phill has done a great job. He must be rubbing his hands right now. Though Sony do have great games, and if ps5 comes in significantly cheaper then it's game on. I do worry that Phill has gone with a no holds barred approach and I hope he hasn't priced himself out of the mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.