• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I really don´t know how can you screw the marketing so much.

It is not overconfidence, it has to be plain silliness.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
But you don't know how either will actually perform.

The ssd differences could have a significant impact as could the clockspeed differences.

We will have to wait for benches to see.

I'm most interested in the spu like CUs as they most likely won't only be used for audio
Urgh, no.
This wont happen unless the XSX is targeting unattainably higher settings and res or a dev messed up. XSX GPU is just better, full stop.

Just like this gen with ps4pro and x1x. If a game is performing worse on x1x I think a developer has all the wrong prioritise or some Software Problem they need to work around.

Also I just want to shutdown any discussion of 'Brute forcing' regarding any Hardware. Sometimes things are just better. Like the RTX 2080 is better than the 2060S
On SSD, I'm sure no game is gonna replace the whole RAM's content every two seconds. They don't even use everything that stays in RAM. It will improve thigns at load time, sure, but not at run time.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Holy Shit, some of ya'll are really overreacting. Going by this thread you'd think the PS5 was already a flop.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I recognize the benefits of the tech. (i work as an audiologist and we have measurements similar - albeit simpler- to what they were showing and it actually makes a lot of sense sense to tailor the sound to an individual.
I meant the talk about sending pictures of you ear. That sounded very off to me.
Sony X1000M3 NC headphones software already does this. You take a picture of your ear in the app and then it analyzes it.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility toward another user.
Ok, now you're either lying or completely misremembering. Go read his ACTUAL posts and get back to me. The biggest thing was that both were double digits. Period.

When he talked about the power differences he always hedged, and emphasized that things could change.
It doesn't matter if I was lying. Most of those who were active in the old thread don't even give a fuck about Klee now.

Did Klee also promised you a more powerful PS5 Pro? I'm genuinely curious : )

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Klee also said PS5 had an edge, PS5 does not.
Klee also said February reveal, there ain't no February reveal.
Klee also said XSX has 60 CUs, there aren't even that many CUs on the physical chip, let alone having some disabled.
But yeah, do believe in Klee! It's good faith!
Klee also said he had a document that proved his info was legit. Which is actually the only thing that was suspect from Klee, imo. That one was obviously a lie unless someone totally fucked him for no reason.

I think what happened with Klee is he had a source telling him PS5 was more powerful. The industry insiders all thought this as well because of dev kits? Tom Warren later pointed out the MS was keeping those numbers hidden to surprise Sony. Turns out, it worked. Klee goes back to source and they tell him "uh oh, they surprised us, too". Klee over reaches and claims to have documents because people are unjustly attacking him about his sources. Xbox Series X is revealed at Game Awards with the TF number. Klee realizes it isn't going to be a great ride for him going forward because of the document claim and the doubling down on Sony being more powerful. Requests a self ban because he is being unjustly attacked and will soon be found out to be incorrect.

Look, insiders get things wrong. This gen was almost the exact inverse of last. All the insiders were saying Xbox One was more powerful in 2012. Sony surprised all the insiders and many insider forum accounts were tanked because of what was probably valid info at the time about the RAM. The RAM switch made them all inaccurate just as the XSX devkits being switched out in December-ish made the insider info inaccurate. When Tom said MS was trying to surprise Sony, it turned out they actually did. That's why the Github is correct except upclocked. Sony was caught off guard and was trying to push those numbers up.

That's my take.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so you can hack the audio chip to do other processing, if you can mold it to fit. Will be interesting to see who dips into that, and for what.

Double the IO throughput will indeed have more impact at runtime than loadtime. For asset streaming performance, better performance in IO bound scenarios etc. Those are areas PS5 games might be 'better'.
Oh yeah. That audio thing reminds me of the tricks we often hear about that used to be done on old PS systems.

That was a lot of fun. Exactly as advertised and delivered in line with previous talks at the same conference.
Yeah.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This reveal was the most stupid and ridiculous thing ever. It's almost a parody how bad it is.

While MS are producing slick videos of people waxing lyrical about specs, putting out awe inspiring Hellblade trailers and showing off their box we get slides about hearing charts and a weird faux-presentation.

It's laughable. Sony need to fire the PR department who okayed this.
Sony literally would have been better with a press release, interviews and articles about specs than this!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
People wanted the consoles to be so close in power that 3rd parties would be near indistinguishable, some are worried that may not be the case now.

Insiders over estimating PS5 didn't help matters either.

Sony can recover with a proper reveal but they should never have been in this situation to start with.
Yeah I guess so, I wanted a beefy PS5 as well, but it seems they genuinely have different design philosophies here so I think it's best to wait and see the games.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I really don´t know how can you screw the marketing so much.

It is not overconfidence, it has to be plain silliness.

What? This wasn't marketing to consumers, it was a dive into the ps5 specs mainly aimed at devs and people who are interested in this sorta thing.

Holy Shit, some of ya'll are really overreacting. Going by this thread you'd think the PS5 was already a flop.

It's like this during every next-gen build up it seems, people really want sony to fail and go all out with their hyperbole.

Jun 18, 2018
Wow, Im disappointed as a huge PS fan this is a letdown. All of this seems unfinished and rushed like they are behind on everything.

- Only BC for top 100 games? We hope it will be 100.
- Variable clocks For CPU and GPU. WTF is up with that? Come on.
- No mention of VRS
- RT seems like its not something devs asked for. No important in Sonys eyes so they spent talking 2 mins about it and went on and on about 3D audio.
- And that SSD come on man not even 1TB. Its fuckin 2020!

If I was MS I would match the price (no matter what) take a loss per console and enjoy the next 5-7 years.

And no Im not angry just disappointed to see such messaging from current console leader.

Whilst I agree with your disappointment with BC, your other points are worth exploring in more detail before getting worried

- Variable clocks is not a bad thing. Most games aiming for a locked framerate do so by having some horsepower spare
- Sony's big messages were around the SSD and 3D Audio, and to true to offset the numbers war against the XBX. VRS doesn't do anything add improve those messages
- Noone saw hardware RT coming from NVidia couple of years back, but now it's becoming a standard and is probably essential for next-gen games to look sufficiently better than current gen titles to get people excited. Imagine if Sony just came out and said "No RT". They'd be slated. And the XBX's RT capabilities were backed up by a number, 380billion intersections a second. Unless Sony have a number bigger than that, why publicize it?
- We don't know what compression system the XBX is using, so it's possible that Kraken offers a compression advantage that offsets the XBX's raw size gain. The reality is that on paper, neither SSD size looks great if you're used to having 10s of current gen games all installed on your HD at the same time. Let's assess this again when we know what next gen install sizes are like.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Sony clearly has a very impressive custom SSD that has greater max speed ratings per the specs to be sure, but I wouldn't count on there being major real world differences in games when you consider that the storage solution was a huge focus for Xbox (calling it the "soul" of their system) per all of the below details from the Xbox Series X full specs reveal regarding their 'Velocity Architecture' that they plan to bring to PC also.

"The CPU is the brain of our new console and the GPU is the heart, but the Xbox Velocity Architecture is the soul," said Andrew Goossen, the technical Fellow on Xbox Series X at Microsoft. "The Xbox Velocity Architecture is about so much more than fast load times. It's one of the most innovative parts of our new console. It's about revolutionizing how games can create vastly bigger, more compelling worlds."

Xbox Velocity Architecture –
The Xbox Velocity Architecture is the new architecture we've created for the Xbox Series X to unlock new capabilities never-before seen in console development. It consists of four components: our custom NVMe SSD, a dedicated hardware decompression block, the all new DirectStorage API, and Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS). This combination of custom hardware and deep software integration allows developers to radically improve asset streaming and effectively multiply available memory. It will enable richer and more dynamic living worlds unlike anything ever seen before. It also effectively eliminates loading times, and makes fast travel systems just that: fast.

DirectStorage
– DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

Hardware Decompression
– Hardware decompression is a dedicated hardware component introduced with Xbox Series X to allow games to consume as little space as possible on the SSD while eliminating all CPU overhead typically associated with run-time decompression. It reduces the software overhead of decompression when operating at full SSD performance from more than three CPU cores to zero – thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better gameplay and improved framerates. Hardware decompression is one of the components of the Xbox Velocity Architecture.

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS)
– A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

Quick Resume
– A new feature powered by the technical capabilities and the innovative Xbox Velocity Architecture in Xbox Series X, Quick Resume enables players to seamlessly switch between multiple titles and resume instantly from where you last left off.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Which is dumb as it's going to be less than the difference between the PS4 Pro and XB1X in terms of raw graphics.

The PS5's speed is going to let it do things that just can't be done on the Series X.
This.
The GPU is faster and the SSD is incredibly faster, and the custom I/O sounds like an important deal too.
Devs keep bringing up the performance this speed is going to provide.

Last edited:

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What? This wasn't marketing to consumers, it was a dive into the ps5 specs mainly aimed at devs and people who are interested in this sorta thing.
It´s plan sillines to show this as the first official piece of information from Sony about the PS5, when you are going to promote it everywhere (has it has to be done). The absolute majority of people didn´t know jack shit about what Mark was talkin bout.

Why don´t just show a teaser to present it as Microsoft did?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Urgh, no.

On SSD, I'm sure no game is gonna replace the whole RAM's content every two seconds. They don't even use everything that stays in RAM. It will improve thigns at load time, sure, but not at run time.

RAM is still multitudes faster than storage, no doubt about that. but (theoretically) being able to load data twice as fast as your main competitor in your RAM during gameplay is quite a feat; but it will be up to the developers to make the most of out that.

Jun 18, 2018

TBH, it doesn't really look like a dev-centric presentation. It was a high level overview of 3 areas of hardware and didn't have any info that Devs would use to produce a game. If MS didn't drop the XB's specs last week then I could easily imagine Sony holding this info back.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah. That audio thing reminds me of the tricks we often hear about that used to be done on old PS systems.

Yeah, with mention of processing convolution, maybe it's something you could task with neural network processing. Apparently there's a PS4 CPU worth of power in there to tap, so will be interesting to see what creative devs might do with it, if they don't want to spend it on audio.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter if I was lying. Most of those who were active in the old thread don't even give a fuck about Klee now.

Did Klee also promised you a more powerful PS5 Pro? I'm genuinely curious : )
You're being really unpleasant, and I'm not sure why. It definitely matters if you lie, btw.

On topic, because I'm getting sick of trading snipes with someone who admits to arguing in bad faith: I'm a bit disappointed and definitely surprised Sony went with a 36CU chip. Honestly, my biggest concern is the longevity of the GPU. If they can get that sorted, the raw power difference doesn't seem that massive, and a higher clock should legitimately give some benefits over MS's wide and slow approach.

I do hope we don't have to wait another 6 moths for them to start showing games and features. Sony definitely messed up this reveal a bit, and it's hard not to blame all of the turmoil in management.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
for the people who think it will be cheaper for expandable storage on PS5 will be better then Series X, also seagate is only the launch provider for the Memory card for Series X it could get cheaper and better priced later

twitter.com

Ysujy 🌃'Darkmode'🌌 on Twitter

“@YBornly @Salt1estGaming A NVMe PCI-e gen 4 ssd currently costs ~200$ for 1 terabyte. Cerny said that those drives are too slow. Expect compatibility drives to be more expensive. Nand flash is expected to go 40% up in price. Not looking good for expandable storage.”

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
A lot are overreacting. Maybe we ought to look at what truly constitutes "performance," outside of just simple GPU TFLOP and CPU clock comparisons. The world is still digesting what Cerny walked us trough and the implications of the GPU being frequency-driven and twice the SSD bandwidth with custom IO could in fact, close the gap far more than we know. Fact is, we don't know. Going by numbers alone, there's no doubt Xbox is bringing a beefy console to launch, but it's not all doom for Sony's machine.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
I guess we disagree there. I don't think the negative reaction really means much. When they do their actual presentation people will forget. I don't think it means anything or indicates anything about the direction or success of the PS5 launch. It's a moment of ephemeral sensationalism, and I don't think the trade-off is worth it.

I think that's a fair stance. Today was bad, but not on the level of the PS3 or Xbox One. We shall see.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
This is totally true.. this is exactly what it was designed to be.

Where sony fucked up is that this is the first major introduction to thePS5. Lie over40k ppl were watching that live stream. And this is what they did?

No talk of games, not even a montage reel lol. No controller, no OS features...nothing.

Naaa.. I am sony die-hard, but even I can say it. Sony fucked up here. I love what they did with the console and what they have on offer, but I fee they could have packaged this all so much much much better.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep...which it wasn't. There are a number of things different between those test results and the final products, and those were the things I was speaking to.

I never said it was completely wrong.

Honestly, you were so vague you never really said anything. That's not a really criticism, so I agree you weren't really wrong about anything.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's marketing need to be fired for this honestly.

It is night and day between this and the PS4 reveal.

If this was a GDC talk WHY are you using it to announce your console to a general audience?

"Here is a deep dive into our inferior specs" is not the way to sell your console.

Sony needed to go first. They needed to show games that would wow people.

What is weird is that PS5 is 6 months out at this point, so they have footage of launch games. Yet THIS is how they decided to bring PS5 into the world.

I think the PS5 is a good machine, like I said in the speculation thread anything over 10TF and I was happy. But they could not have done a worse job of revealing it if they tried.

I can imagine Spencer watching this dry technical deep dive of a 10.3TF GPU machine as Sony's debut to the world and laughing his ass off. It's amateur. Where is the slick video like the XSX one where they talked about the specs? Where is the Hellblade Trailer? Where is the box spinning over a lake?

MS are running PR rings around Sony. This PS5 reveal was like something from 20 years ago.

WHO thought this was a good idea, that it would set the world alight with hype for Playstation? Fire that person. Fire them now. 70k dislikes on the YouTube video.
70k likes is brutal.

the PR strategy is poor, but the console design is even worse. worse cpu, gpu, ram bandwidth, ram bus, smaller ssd, and an insane infatuation with ssd over raw graphics horsepower required to run games in RT. there is no way this thing hits $399. that bloomberg article is looking pretty prophetic right now. Cerny decided to save 40mm2 on the apu only to spend all those savings on the ssd which is now super expensive. same goes for lower bandwidth gddr6. he thought he would save money there but now the costs are just as high. should've gone with hbm lol.

dont know if you remember, but we used to dismiss the github leaks by pointing out that sony would have to royally screw up in order to design a console this wide and narrow with specs like that because it simply wouldnt be cheaper and offer much worse performance. well, i guess they actually went ahead and did that.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope that with the (overwhelming) negative response the PS5 deep tech dive received, Sony feels forced to do something to appease the angry mobs (puts down pitchfork)... showing some next gen 1st party goodness could do the trick... :P

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Yo. Real talk. My boy Cerny was done dirty by the new Sony PR team.

Like those dudes that fired Layden, you know?

Anyways I'm upset because it sony is around 2 months begin MS on the messaging of their next gen system. I mean this video would have made sense at the January event and then March, the console reveal. June would be price and games or something.

People are mentioning that PS4 is still on fire. Got Part2 and Ninja game. Alright but the PS5 doesn't really pose a threat to those sales because Dumbass Sony could have pushed the message that these 2 amazing games will be BC ready and have some PS5 enhancements. Like that would deter a Sony fan from waiting to buy it.

If they are worried on their PS4 sales...sony. just stop it to 200 bucks my dudes and you'll keep selling them. Damn.

Anyways I need to see the console and game teasers NOW.

Screw Part2 and Ninja. I'm buying that shit. But I still want new shit. Show it to me now. I want to see what your machine can generate with these weird specs. Ok we know the XSX is a best. So show me what your team can do with ps5. Give me a teaser.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
But it wasn't confirmation of anything. No one. Not a single person said anything about a 2.23Ghz GPU clock. Even after sony has said it a lot don't even believe its possible lol.
It was absolutely confirmation of CUs and the BC tests/implementation. Those things were talked about today. Those things could not have changed, as soooo many people said they could. Those things are accurate. A lot of the debate circled around those very specific pieces. That was essentially the Github argument in its entirety. Not that the clocks were absolute and final. The literal only thing that you could consider inaccurate about Github was that the test was ran at a lower clock.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
This is totally true.. this is exactly what it was designed to be.

Where sony fucked up is that this is the first major introduction to thePS5. Lie over40k ppl were watching that live stream. And this is what they did?

No talk of games, not even a montage reel lol. No controller, no OS features...nothing.

Naaa.. I am sony die-hard, but even I can say it. Sony fucked up here. I love what they did with the console and what they have on offer, but I fee they could have packaged this all so much much much better.

I'm sure all that will be coming in future presentations. The console's not out until the end of the year, possibly even early next year depending on current events.
There's this fever pitch for sony to blow their load like MS have but they obviously don't think they need to. Whether it works out for them only time will tell.

Jun 18, 2018
Urgh, no.

Not the whole RAM, but a big portion of it. Many games that don't use world streaming still stream other assets, usually textures and audio, on the fly. Now imagine adding animations and mesh LOD levels into the mix.

And whilst you're right that devs don't use everything in RAM at the moment, you're actually digging into why Sony's approach to I/O is a game changer. Less memory is now being used to hold data that might be needed quickly, resulting in more memory can be put towards information that is needed now, i.e higher resolution textures, more complicated shaders, more detailed models, more audio sources, larger amounts of dynamic objects active at once, etc.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Nonsense.

This was tweeted out on the playstation twitter, on the playstation YouTube. Did you see how many people were watching it???

You DO NOT reveal your console like this. I have absolutely no idea who thought this was a good idea.

I literally could not have designed a worse way to unveil the PS5 if I tried. You could sit me down and say "what is the worst way to reveal the PS5 to the world" and I would probably say "do another wired article". And that WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER.

I think the PS5 looks like a fine machine, and while inferior on GPU and RAM bandwidth to XSX it is competitive. This was not how Sony should have unveiled it.

A consumer focused video like the ones MS has produced is how it should have been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.