• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Add to this the "power control" and variable frequencies of the GPU and CPU. The more I read about it the more complex it seems. It just seems like it will require more work from developers to optimize their games and get them running the way they want them to run.

jpg
The developers don't need to worry about that.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Add to this the "power control" and variable frequencies of the GPU and CPU. The more I read about it the more complex it seems. It just seems like it will require more work from developers to optimize their games and get them running the way they want them to run.

jpg

I see that as happening on a lower layer.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017

jpg
In this image, you see that "Power Control". That's what handles that, not the developers.

hwraytracer

Dec 27, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Platform warring
Look at all the excuses going round ... PS5 this gen is XB1 last gen ... Deal with it.

Sony prioritized PS4 BackCompat and COST above Power .. Infact if even placed Bandwidth ahead of Power.

And even with those 4 things, BC/Cost/Power/Bandwidth, XboxSeriesX takes 3 of those crowns ... Imagine if XSX also ends up taking Cost too..

Deal with it...

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Look at all the excuses going round ... PS5 this gen is XB1 last ten ... Deal with it.

Sony prioritized PS4 BackCompat and COST above Power .. Infact if even placed Bandwidth ahead of Power.

And even with those 4 things, BC/Cost/Power/Bandwidth, XboxSeriesX takes 3 of those crowns ... Imagine if XSX also ends up taking Cost too..

Deal with it...

It's been a really tough gen for you hasn't it?

Christ how embarrassing.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree with everyone, i have no clue why they did this.

They should of did a conference, open up with awesome games, and then at the end slap the 10.2TF number on the screen and tell everyone good night. This is bringing them wayyyyy too much negative attention.

Concentrate on what you are good at; exclusives.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
The problem I see is that multiplat devs can't do much with that fast SSD since the game needs to work on a standard SSD as well. So we'll only see how much of a difference it can make in the exclusives, which are always good anyway. The gap is big enough that every DF report will show XSX on top unless the port is bad. It'll be PS3/360 gen all over again.
You're arguing 8.5% gpu difference will be the same as Cell vs Normal processing lol.

There will not likely even be resolution changes like this gen. And that was based on 50% gpu difference.

Depending on the complexity of using the faster ssd, we'll have to see what 3rd party devs actually do.

It'll be night and day compared to PS3/60 days

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The harsh reality is, you get more performance for less power consumption and less heat with the xbox. You get full backwards compatibility with games and accessories. A near silent box and confirmed multi game resume.

You get a bloody fast ssd with the ps5 that has less capacity. Weaker performance especially in raytracing and it will draw more power from your wall and unless they are using magic. Will be hot and potentially noisy.

MS absolutely brought a sophisticated behemoth to this generation. Sony have scuppered it in power choices. Ssd will hopefully offer exclusives that take advantage.

I think its obvious the ps5 was supposed to launch last year but something delayed it, probably the BC testing.
No, if anything that Xbox Series X sounds closer to a PC while the PS5 sounds more custom. Starting from the SSD, GPU, CPU, I/O, Audio, where as what Microsoft seems to have done is taken the building blocks of RDNA2 and make some smaller customizations (software stacks) on top of it. The only bit where I see the Series X is custom is that the weird memory setup (again) and to meet the 16GB goal, they'd to go this route and manage it in software. If not they would have ended up with either 12GB or 18GB RAM. So the customization bit came out of necessity rather than the innovating for power.

You are also wrong in assuming a bigger chip at 1.8GHz versus a smaller chip at 2+ GHz will draw less power. They may end up same if not more.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
If I was MS I would match the price (no matter what) take a loss per console and enjoy the next 5-7 years.
Even with the same price they won't beat PS5 sales worldwide.
I am mainly a PS guy and used to be quite fanboyish about stuff like this . The old me would have been really salty about this.
Now that i own an X with 2 years worth of gamepass , I honestly don't care about which one is more powerful , both consoles are going to be great in their own right.
PS5 is gonna continue to be my main console for MP games , people outside the US and maybe the UK don't realise how little people care about Xbox in other regions . Here in the middle East it's almost non existent, I don't know anyone who owns an Xbox except me.
Best Xbox can hope for is winning the US market and even then i don't think it's gonna be a repeat of the 360 Vs PS3 gen.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Look at all the excuses going round ... PS5 this gen is XB1 last gen ... Deal with it.

Deal with it...
Come on, dude. Really ?

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
I'm happy with the PS5. The audio and the customisation seems very deep for good performance. But I don't understand the communication of sony actually.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China

jpg
Cerny mentioned that the power supplied to either CPU/GPU fluctuates at around 10%, we know that power ∝ frequency ^ 2.
So if, say, the power of GPU drops to 90% of the peak level, then we get roughlysqrt(0.9) * 2230 ≈ 2115MHz, which isn't bad at all.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think transfer speed will make a huge difference in real world performance. Take a look at this video comparing a 870 ssd vs 970 Nvme. The nvme is 7 times faster but only shows one or two second faster loading times on games. The PS5 transfer is twice as fast on paper compared to series X. Can't wait to see how this translate to real world performance by digital foundry.

www.youtube.com

M.2 NVME vs SSD vs SSHD vs HDD Game Loading Times

M.2 vs SSD vs SSHD vs HDD Game Loading Times. Welcome back guys, I thought it might be a good time to do an update to my M.2 vs SSD game loading times compar...

cerny literally covered that in depth in the presentation. They aren't using pcie3, they have dedicated hardware (a lot of it) to help with decompression and transferring without impacting CPU efficiently. And more. Worth watching through or reading the euro gamer article

Jan 21, 2019
Wow, Im disappointed as a huge PS fan this is a letdown. All of this seems unfinished and rushed like they are behind on everything.

- Only BC for top 100 games? We hope it will be 100.
- Variable clocks For CPU and GPU. WTF is up with that? Come on.
- No mention of VRS
- RT seems like its not something devs asked for. No important in Sonys eyes so they spent talking 2 mins about it and went on and on about 3D audio.
- And that SSD come on man not even 1TB. Its fuckin 2020!

If I was MS I would match the price (no matter what) take a loss per console and enjoy the next 5-7 years.

And no Im not angry just disappointed to see such messaging from current console leader.
Yeah, disappointing is the right word. I bet that it's a great console and awesome hardware for devs. But I can believe i how much it is lagging behind ms in so many areas even though Sony is the king of this gen. The variable frequency sounds like a fancy excuse boost mode to talk up their numbers on paper.

Again, if someone told me these specs a year ago where even an sata SSD was being laughed it, I would've melted, but seeing what MS is doing I can't shake the feeling that this is not Sony's best job. This gets especially sour when looking at their joke of BC. While Microsoft is testing unlocked framerates and boosts to resolution, Sony is giving us the top 100 without any real enhancement.

Let's hope my favorite games are in these 100. Is Nier Automata a top 100 game? I really wanted to jump into Nioh and test the different modes to see how they would run, but now I don't even know if the game will run.

I was suspecting this during the generation and there was a post about this here on era but I'm starting to feel like investing into the PlayStation eco system is a bad long-term investment since they really don't care about their legacy content while Microsoft is pumping out Ninja Gaiden at 4K/60 and AI-HDR.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

jpg

variable frequency is good for temp, no? Most games won't require capped frequencies.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Deal with it...
Hope you get banned. Honestly cringed reading that post.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Why were all of Cerny's game examples PS2 and PS3 games? could it be a hint that full BC is coming at the PS5 reveal

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

Deal with it...
Just... don't...

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017

They should of did a conference, open up with awesome games, and then at the end slap the 10.2TF number on the screen and tell everyone good night. This is bringing them wayyyyy too much negative attention.

Concentrate on what you are good at; games.
fixed that for you.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
The variable speed seems like a BIG ??? decision. Incredible, but it seems MS really caught Sony off guard here.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
cerny literally covered that in depth in the presentation. They aren't using pcie3, they have dedicated hardware (a lot of it) to help with decompression and transferring without impacting CPU efficiently. And more. Worth watching through or reading the euro gamer article
I mentioned this in a reply. Sony has a custom storage solution but so does Xbox series X. We will just have to wait and see how it translate to real world performance by digital foundry vttech etc. I predict loading times will probably be a second faster on ps5 than series X. But everything else Series X will have the advantage. This is my prediction.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Deal with it...
You've been waiting to tell others to "deal with it" haven't you? lmao

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Concentrate on what you are good at; exclusives.
This guy's first rodeo.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

Deal with it...
are you 12?

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Deal with it...

Lol

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

Deal with it...
Dear lord....

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
The ssd-tech in the ps5 sounds promising but in the end only exclusives will benefit from it as third party will develop games with slower tech in mind. Right now I don't really see the benefit of a better ssd except better loadtimes. But I am happy to see what devs will do with it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
That conference definitely mattered. It was a massive failure in marketing and that stung the console's brand image for a long time. Of course the other factors did, but marketing will always matter when it comes to both lifting up bad products and putting down good products.

Honestly I'm growing tired of focusing on marketing when people clearly don't take it seriously at all. Ya'll think that a product's success has nothing to do with narrative, brand image or consumer opinion and I can't really argue against that because it's just pure ignorance.

precisely! In the past I brought up an example of a well-read older colleague who FOUR YEARS after the XB1 reveal STILL thought there was no game sharing, no used games, and always online requirement. This guy knew enough about gaming to buy a PSVR but doesn't live on era and reddit and so mainstream marketing did matter.

You are 100% right that marketing and initial messaging absolutely do matter for a really long time.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The XSX SSD is really really custom from the ground UP

and dev told me that DirectStorage is really good software innovation.

So your statement work in both side.

'yeah both sides seem to have focused on SSD, just with higher baseline raw performance on ps5.

both spent a lot of time and effort on maintaining that performance and not wasting CPU cycles for decompression, or memory bandwidth by moving data around more than necessary

while Sony has higher raw speed, I'm curious about whether some of the MS directstorage features and predictive texture fetching etc might mitigate that difference in raw power - or whether Sony has similar features too.

both will also make PC support challenging - you're potentially burning multiple CPU cores to keep up with transfer throughput and decompression

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017

Deal with it...
Only it's absolutely nothing like last gen and you should stop trolling. For now, on paper the PS5 is more innovative and even just comparing GPU power (which is a false comparison but whatever) the difference is smaller than the PS4/One situation.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
This. Was. A. Tech. Event. For. The. Development. Community.

Why are people saying it's a missed opportunity because they didn't show games or the controller/console?! It was clearly signposted as a technical discussion, you can't complain it was missing something that had no relevance to the event and was never likely to be there.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deal with it...
Embarrassing

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, Im disappointed as a huge PS fan this is a letdown. All of this seems unfinished and rushed like they are behind on everything.

- Only BC for top 100 games? We hope it will be 100.
- Variable clocks For CPU and GPU. WTF is up with that? Come on.
- No mention of VRS
- RT seems like its not something devs asked for. No important in Sonys eyes so they spent talking 2 mins about it and went on and on about 3D audio.
- And that SSD come on man not even 1TB. Its fuckin 2020!

And no Im not angry just disappointed to see such messaging from current console leader.

That's what I expect Microsoft will do at all costs. XBox Live and Game Pass Subscriptions will compensate the loss of each hardware sold.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fun thread to follow the wave of everyone being hyped and then slowly realizing its just a tech deep dive. Lmao. He was pretty clear up front they would show games and stuff at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.