• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
2cwyjym.jpg

So, 12 lanes makes 825GB of storage a "natural fit" according to Cerny. What's the math on that? Seems a bit strange on its face.

In any case, it makes me think a SKU with double the storage is an inevitability down the line by doubling each chip's size.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sony's got the games, Microsoft's yet to deliver (it's been nothing but promises and ho-hum games from them for a good while).
I'm in agreement with this -- I think Sony's software lineup will have the upper hand until Microsoft shows its hand there.

I don't really understand this because, right now, Microsoft actually does have the games. We've known since last year that Halo Infinite is a launch title and they revealed Hellblade 2 at The Game Awards. That's two substantial and well-known exclusive-to-Xbox titles already announced and being hyped whilst Sony has a relatively generic looking Looter Shooter that they aren't even publishing. Just because Microsoft's only shown "promises" doesn't make those two games any less important.

Then on the multiplat front we've seen Minecraft RTX, a Gears 5 port, and the confirmation of full Backwards Compatability for all Xbox consoles. The narrative that the PS5 is weaker than the XSX will also create a narrative of third-party multiplats being inferior which will inevitably lower hype for big titles like Cyberpunk 2077 getting released on the PS5.

All that really matters right now is the narrative, and I think Sony is doing much worse than Microsoft in managing the narrative surrounding their console.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This is just me, but I feel that this PR goof up would never have happened had Shawn Layden been in charge. That man has a keen sense for presentation. Shame he left.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Lol, what messaging? The message is clear, people are confusing themselves.

The hyperbole is a bit much. :D
The messaging for the BC is not clear. You have Cerny saying one thing, then you have this paragraph on their blogpost saying something else.

"Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."

We need clarification from Sony.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Every dev sony lets talk about the PS5 is really happy about what the PS5 offers

Not true... I've seen devs on twitter mention it off hand in a way that clearly wasn't some 'Sony approved me saying this' kind of way. And that sentiment came off the record through journalists also - would they say so to journalists anonymously? Likely they would express any concerns they might have, as they've done previously with other consoles.

I might ask - what is there to dislike here, for a developer?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand this because, right now, Microsoft actually does have the games. We've known since last year that Halo Infinite is a launch title and they revealed Hellblade 2 at The Game Awards. That's two substantial and well-known exclusive-to-Xbox titles already announced and being hyped whilst Sony has a relatively generic looking Looter Shooter that they aren't even publishing. Just because Microsoft's only shown "promises" doesn't make those two games any less important.

Then on the multiplat front we've seen Minecraft RTX, a Gears 5 port, and the confirmation of full Backwards Compatability for all Xbox consoles. The narrative that the PS5 is weaker than the XSX will also create a narrative of third-party multiplats being inferior which will inevitably lower hype for big titles like Cyberpunk 2077 getting released on the PS5.

All that really matters right now is the narrative, and I think Sony is doing much worse than Microsoft in managing the narrative surrounding their console.
It's more about historical promise. I'm fairly confident Sony has some bombshells they are waiting to announce, lots of teams have been quiet and had their heads down working. I don't think Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 are a very strong showing, given Halo 5 and that Hellblade while a good game, was just a standout AA game, nothing to really write home about.

I think people are vastly mistaken if they think there will be a huge material difference between PS5 and XSX because of a 1.8TF difference on paper, without taking into consideration other architectural differences that might offset that discrepancy.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The messaging for the BC is not clear. You have Cerny saying one thing, then you have this paragraph on their blogpost saying something else.

"Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."

Cerny said the exact fucking same statement.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
The way I am seeing this in car terms is:

XSX = Big American muscle car, loads of horsepower and really fast in a straight line.

PS5 = Italian exotic, less horsepower but used more efficiently and way better in the corners.
A more precise analogy in car terms:

PS5 = Mazda RX-7 / RX-8: light weight rotary engine that spins fast, but it's pretty bad at fuel efficiency.

XSX = Most V8 performance cars, well balanced and absolute power is higher.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's more that right now Sony has the games, if you were to compare libraries people would rate Sony's higher, that's what people mean when they say "PS5 will have the games"

Doesn't mean MS can't catch up or show off exciting killer app's though.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
2cwyjym.jpg

So, 12 lanes makes 825GB of storage a "natural fit" according to Cerny. What's the math on that? Seems a bit strange on its face.

In any case, it makes me think a SKU with double the storage is an inevitability down the line by doubling each chip's size.
There's a standard size for the NAND chip, and they used 12 in parallel to meet their 5GB/s goal. No other magic to it.
Yep it seem they aim for $399 with a lost .
The question is if MS also going to go for $399.
Since you a chip guy any idea on how much the price difference between the APU could be .
Probably $20-30 cheaper. Another $20-30 on RAM. There's your price difference with XSX BOM.

Not true... I've seen devs on twitter mention it off hand in a way that clearly wasn't some 'Sony approved me saying this' kind of way. And that sentiment came off the record through journalists also - would they say so to journalists anonymously? Likely they would express any concerns they might have, as they've done previously with other consoles.

I might ask - what is there to dislike here, for a developer?
Indeed. They addressed developers' needs and abstracted the hard part of managing those advancements. There's a reason time to triangle was one of the first things he said again.

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
Wow, this presentation....... I've never seen anything so depressing. That fake people shadows. Wow........Looks like a bad joke.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You people better have made Bloodborne in the top 100!!!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think people are vastly mistaken if they think there will be a huge material difference between PS5 and XSX because of a 1.8TF difference, without taking into consideration other architectural differences that might offset that discrepancy.

Yeah, MS have won the power above all else crowd, but i think Sony are doing some interesting stuff by the sounds of it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
For those with better tech knowledge: could the variable clocks in the PS5 GPU lead to more cases of loud fans, heating and ultimately console issues?
Like, I don't care about which console has more flops, but I would like to not risk money on a console with a much higher degree of fault probability.
The power delivery is constant and cooling is designed for max boost clock. If anything it'll run silent and be more reliable with variable clock.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I have nothing against Cerny's presentation. It was a standard conference talk. But the idea of making it the first reveal is beyond stupid and shows only that they panicked after Microsoft's move.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
The "concern" here is real. And always by the usual suspect's kinda meh at this point.

hope they reveal the box soon.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Tell you right now the casual video gamer was not expecting this kind of presentation. This was surely supposed to be used for GDC. However, PS marketing made a mistake without clarifying such a thing. Hopefully we will not have to wait long for more news.
PS twitter stated exactly what we got. Everyone who expected a reveal or anything other was fooling themselves.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing against Cerny's presentation. It was a standard conference talk. But the idea of making it the first reveal is beyond stupid and shows only that they panicked after Microsoft's move.

This was apparently planned for some time and it's not even a reveal it's just specs, the console hasn't been unveiled like Series X was at the game awards.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Just starting to watch this, about 15 minutes in and man is Cerny a terrible speaker. So boring and uninspiring and taking ages just talking
about why SSDs are good.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's more about historical promise. I'm fairly confident Sony has some bombshells they are waiting to announce, lots of teams have been quiet and had their heads down working. I don't think Halo Infinite and Hellblade 2 are a very strong showing, given Halo 5 and that Hellblade while a good game, was just a standout AA game, nothing to really write home about.

I think people are vastly mistaken if they think there will be a huge material difference between PS5 and XSX because of a 1.8TF difference, without taking into consideration other architectural differences that might offset that discrepancy.

Whether or not you think they're a good showing doesn't change the fact that they have been shown. The Halo Infinite E3 2019 Demo has 2.9 million views whilst Hellblade 2 has over 3 million (across the two main Youtube postings). That's two big-budget XSX titles with amazing-looking graphics being shown before we've even had a proper 'big presentation', and that will definitely mean something in the end no matter their quality or the quality of their Xbox One predecessors.

As for the power, again this is all about narrative. People looking towards a new console purchase are going to see "which runs my Call of Duty and Fifa" better as a major selling point, and right now the overwhelming narrative is that the XSX will be the one running those better. It doesn't matter how big the difference is, and it's why it's up to Sony themselves to show people what makes the PS5 'better'.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
"To be abundantly clear from the outset, PlayStation 5 is not boosting clocks in this way. According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be."
Yep, I'm wrong about that one. Though I'm not sure how they are going to determine when to throttle, as Cerny also specifically was talking about worst case scenarios. Frankly Cerny used some massive circular logic here.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
This was apparently planned for some time and it's not even a reveal it's just specs, the console hasn't been unveiled like Series X was at the game awards.
Of course the talk was planned, but the way it was used (YT live event advertised on Twitter) looks like a sudden decision.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
I am really curious to know the design approach that Microsoft took as compared to Sony.

As it stands, it feels like Sony relied heavily on user and developer data and feedback to really customize the hardware and focus.

I am not that tech-savvy, but in my mind I am imagining the XsX as a beefier and more blunt power fighter where as the PS5 is smaller, leaner, and quicker in delivery. Lets see how this plays out, but I am loving that both took a very different approach.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Whether or not you think they're a good showing doesn't change the fact that they have been shown. The Halo Infinite E3 2019 Demo has 2.9 million views whilst Hellblade 2 has over 3 million (across the two main Youtube postings). That's two big-budget XSX titles with amazing-looking graphics being shown before we've even had a proper 'big presentation', and that will definitely mean something in the end no matter their quality or the quality of their Xbox One predecessors.

As for the power, again this is all about narrative. People looking towards a new console purchase are going to see "which runs my Call of Duty and Fifa" better as a major selling point, and right now the overwhelming narrative is that the XSX will be the one running those better. It doesn't matter how big the difference is, and it's why it's up to Sony themselves to show people what makes the PS5 'better'.

aren't those two games being built around base limitations?

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know what a Tflop was until I joined the Next Gen thread.

20+ blissful years of gaming and it all comes down to the games.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

We will see soon enough, i think it's going be fine and good news for everyone.

Plum

May 31, 2018

It being planned for a long time doesn't change the fact that it's the first major 'reveal' of what the PS5 is about. Microsoft is having a dry developer-focused GDC panel as well and, because they've done a whole bunch else (and made sure to temper expectations by not hyping it up on Twitter), the reaction is a general "oh, OK," instead of "that was it?!"

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
This is just me, but I feel that this PR goof up would never have happened had Shawn Layden been in charge. That man has a keen sense for presentation. Shame he left.

The PS4 Pro presentation though...

But yep, that was bad. This thing should never had been broadcast to the public, much less being made a whole event of. It wasn't made for the mainstream at all. Should have just been an Eurogamer/Digital Foundry article directly.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
All in all
MS exclusive games will have the most power to make the best looking games(assuming budget is there)

Sony exclusive will have the much faster ssd, which will allow them to do some interesting things

Both should have some impressive looking games.

Multiplats
Should run at higher resolution, and could very well have better raytracingperformance on xbox

Much faster loading on ps5
Maybe less pop in?

Can't wait for next gen. 😭

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
For those with better tech knowledge: could the variable clocks in the PS5 GPU lead to more cases of loud fans, heating and ultimately console issues?
Like, I don't care about which console has more flops, but I would like to not risk money on a console with a much higher degree of fault probability.

I could be misinterpreting how it works, but as I understand it, the cooling solution is designed around the fact that the APU will be receiving consistent power at all times. So I don't think that's going to be a major issue. Consistent power means fewer heating and cooling cycles, which is what contributed to the RRoD and YLOD on 360 and PS3.

I find some of the doom and gloom pretty funny. The difference in raw performance is much smaller than it was with the PS4 and One, and rendering techniques have changed a lot as well. This isn't going to be the case where one system runs at a higher resolution all the time than the other. Rather, most games will likely be using some kind of dynamic resolution, and Xbox might hit its maximum target resolution more often. But considering the relatively small difference in power and the fact that anti-aliasing has come so far in the last six or seven years, it's going to be much harder to tell the difference between the same game running on both systems compared to something like 1080p vs 900p. The SSD stuff has the potential to make for some amazing exclusive open-world games on PS5. THAT'S what I'm most interested in at this point.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
There's a standard size for the NAND chip, and they used 12 in parallel to meet their 5GB/s goal. No other magic to it.

Probably $20-30 cheaper. Another $20-30 on RAM. There's your price difference with XSX BOM.

Indeed. They addressed developers' needs and abstracted the hard part of managing those advancements. There's a reason time to triangle was one of the first things he said again.

Thanks now to see how the price war is going to go .
Cause if MS also at $399 they will be in a tight spot .

Status
Not open for further replies.