• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's sad because while PS5 is at minimum a solid console from a tech perspective, fake insiders were Sony's biggest enemy after all, creating narratives the system simply couldn't reach.

This is also another reason why Sony's presentation here was a bad idea. Any downsides compared to the XSX are going to be amplified and any positives are going to be downplayed because, in the absence of tangible evidence, people are going to focus more on the negative than the positive.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This article from Richard Leadbetter has an excellent breakdown of the PS5 GPU strategy.
www.eurogamer.net

Inside PlayStation 5: the specs and the tech that deliver Sony's next-gen vision

Sony has broken its silence. PlayStation 5 specifications are now out in the open with system architect Mark Cerny deli…

a lot of that reads like a transcript of the presentation but pitched like an interview with cerny- I guess Cerny ia working from a tight script at the moment

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should have just stayed mysterious... maybe gone back to the drawing board.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I guess the rumours of internal company problems, and people being unhappy with the decisions leadership took etc turned kind of true?

I got the feeling that Cerny had to sugar coat a lot of stuff in his tech-talk. As to not lose that much face in comparisons to XSX specs.

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
Also remember that the PS5 is bringing in controller features and stuff, i know most of that stuff falls to wayside as time goes on but you never know. That mixed with next gen 3d audio instant loading gfx like we have never seen before and no more "copying" after a patch are enough to get me on board fast.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
XSX :

PS5:

27f10da5872fcc2e96ad08a37e88707a4dfc58ear1-395-521v2_uhq.jpg

So PS5 is faster and more powerful? Heh

A better comparison is Flash vs Superman at least on power

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
That was a weird presentation lol

Probably already mentioned elsewhere in the thread but I all I could think of was Mystery Science Theatre 3000 with the shadow audience

kriskrosbbk

Oct 28, 2017
It's impressive how people can only grasp A>B. They can only believe that if a number is higher it's automatically better.

Sony is doing so much in the PS5 architecture to ensure that developers will be able to make the game they want without any difficulty. I bet that the majority of the developers will choose the PS5 as the best console to develop for. It's not just about the numbers. If Sony had just put lower numbers and that's it, it would have been disappointing, but what they are doing to make the console be unique, easy to develop for, and unified is just amazing.

But whatever, people see 2>1 and that's it for them! Ohh the SDD is not even 1 TB, but did you actually understand why?
A great post.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For those with better tech knowledge: could the variable clocks in the PS5 GPU lead to more cases of loud fans, heating and ultimately console issues?
Like, I don't care about which console has more flops, but I would like to not risk money on a console with a much higher degree of fault probability.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So let's talk pictures. Any devs in here?

Say we have a next gen Assassins Creed. What could be the difference in graphics between PS5 and Series X?

For example, is it possible X runs native 4K and PS5 is stuck at 1800p or 1440p with said 10.3TF? Or is the difference to small for that? And in that case, what can we expect of the higher memory and SSD speed of the PS5? A game running at a lower resolution, but with bigger draw distances and better LOD?
The GPU advantages come when trying to hit a higher resolution, so I do think its fair to say that at the same resolution the PS5 performance would be lower. CPU wise they are almost the same, so I cant see any real world difference there. The difference will be smaller than Pro and X I believe.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What I'm wondering now, what is the "special game changing feature" that Jim Ryan was talking about? We know that it can't be Backwards compatibility...

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
So based on the talk and the Eurogamer article, here's what I'm getting-

The PS5 will never run at 3.5 GHZ CPU and 10.3 TF GPU at the same time.

The power draw remains consistent all the time, and depending on the demands of a game at any particular moment, more power goes either to the CPU or the GPU. When the CPU is drawing the most amount of power, it's going to be running at 3.5 GHZ and the GPU will be delivering lower than 10.3 TF (no idea how much lower). When the GPU is running at 10.3 TF, the CPU will be clocked lower than 3.5 GHZ.

If that's true, then the specs Sony has delivered feel a little deceptive.

Regardless, I'm really excited for the next gen. The 3D audio Cerny mentioned feels like a big innovation, as does the hyperfast SSD.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Sony's not going to sweat a power difference. Xbox has had that in pretty much every generation save the original XB1, and it never translated to a major win in sales.

The majority doesn't care, they play where the games are.

What sony really needs to clear up is this BC thing. I read it liek everything shoudl work but in legacy mode, while others are saying only 100 have been confirmed to work period. Somehow I very seriously doubt the later.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
Maybe PS5 is Messi (small, but fast)
And XSX is Ronaldo (big, and wide)??

That's a good one. Or PS5 being Usain Bolt and Xbox SX being Arnold Schwarzenegger

But yea, speed vs power is definitely gonna make for some interesting tech comparisons for games and I think people are gonna be satisfied no matter which one they get when it comes to performance.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that the memory speed of PS5's memory is higher and that the SSD is basically one big memory pool. Could be wrong though.
If devs use less then 10gigs the x will have faster ram. If they have to use more then 10 then they might have slower ram. They didn't really go into what happens if devs are using the whole pool for vram.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
For those with better tech knowledge: could the variable clocks in the PS5 GPU lead to more cases of loud fans, heating and ultimately console issues?
Like, I don't care about which console has more flops, but I would like to not risk money on a console with a much higher degree of fault probability.
From what I gathered the PS5 cooling is designed as being able to cope with maximum specs, but might thermal throttle when ambient temperatures are higher. Now what they decided is a reasonable fan noise, remains to be seen.

AllChan7

Apr 30, 2019
I guess the rumours of internal company problems, and people being unhappy with the decisions leadership took etc turned kind of true?

I got the feeling that Cerny had to sugar coat a lot of stuff in his tech-talk. As to not lose that much face in comparisons to XSX specs.

Every dev so far seems really happy with what the PS5 offers.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Ok can someone tell me what in the name of St Francis of Assisi is going on with Cerny and that presentation? Was it expected to be only this extremest deep dive into the hardware specs? Is this what people were hoping for? Was there talk of actually showing the system or the UI or the controller or anything like that? I watched that whole thing and am somehow dumber than I was going into it.

Dec 8, 2018
From what I gathered the PS5 cooling is designed as being able to cope with maximum specs, but might thermal throttle when ambient temperatures are higher. Now what they decided is a reasonable fan noise, remains to be seen.

"To be abundantly clear from the outset, PlayStation 5 is not boosting clocks in this way. According to Sony, all PS5 consoles process the same workloads with the same performance level in any environment, no matter what the ambient temperature may be."

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ok can someone tell me what in the name of St Francis of Assisi is going on with Cerny and that presentation? Was it expected to be only this extremest deep dive into the hardware specs? Is this what people were hoping for? Was there talk of actually showing the system or the UI or the controller or anything like that? I watched that whole thing and am somehow dumber than I was going into it.

This was very much exactly what they promised. A technical deep-dive.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
No per Cerny it should be quieter since the max cooling is never exceeded. However it could be louder then the x depending on what type of cooling solution they are going to use.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

This is basically their GDC talk, more for developers.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
prob the SSD speed, it is truly game changing in a way that increased CPU/GPU clock speeds are not
No, I don't think so. He said that it was something they haven't mentioned nor talked about yet. At that time they already mentioned SSD, 3D audio and controller stuff. That's why most people thought it was related to BC (also because he made it sound that it was not HW but software wise).

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Would anyone agree while maybe not the worst console reveal of all time. Certainly the most boring.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they got two day to announce a date for the next event lol, this was rather embarrassing and please fire whoever has been responsible for the lack of communication from PlayStation, why sacrifice the PS5 momentum because you still have PS4 games coming out in a couple of months.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Tell you right now the casual video gamer was not expecting this kind of presentation. This was surely supposed to be used for GDC. However, PS marketing made a mistake without clarifying such a thing. Hopefully we will not have to wait long for more news.

Status
Not open for further replies.