• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
What kind of Cycles, Sony and Nintendo have been dominating the console space for decades.

He's an absolute fucking troll that will revise stuff to fit his agenda.

Some of the posters on this site are pathetic man i swear.

Like rabbid dogs

Yo if you're gonna call be an "absolute fucking troll," whilst implying that I'm a "pathetic man and also a rabbid dog," then say that to my face.

What the fuck

Seriously

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah I feel like a Sony only game is going to look insane because the ssd can offload a lot of stress when it comes to displaying only the viewers geometry. Wonder how hard it is to do some of the ssd tricks, otherwise we may see a good diff in multiparty games

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm not sure how to feel yet. Like I need a demo. Also Demons Souls running.

I guess the thing that will "kill" my excitement is the first 3rd party game comparison running on ps5 and XSX. If PS5 underperforms by alot, I'll be disappointed. If it's on par, we good.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've just made that up. Read the article again. The theoretical maximum is the typical speed, but the system can downclock when the workload is lower. This is to save energy and heat where running at max is unnecessary.

Say again?

The question is, what happens when the processor does hit its power limit and components down-clock? In his presentation, Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively.

"When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor," he explains.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
The biggest disappointment for me is the bc situation. Eventually, it will have all the PS4 games, but it should've been there from day one.

And they better find a way of keeping bc, while adding more cu for the ps6.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yes unless there is a difference in price like 399 Vs 499 it will repeat of 360 generation. I don't know why they regressed so much.

the circumstances around the 360/PS3 were far different, most notably being a full year between each consoles releases. Playstation 5 will almost assuredly outsell Xbox Series X, that was likely before today and it remains likely now, a tech focused GDC talk and ensuing message board back and forth are unlikely to have much impact on that from a potential future sales perspective.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
10.3 TF console with High clock speeds, which mostly runs at max frequency and downclocks by frequency rather than power, 16 GB ram, ultra high speed SSD, man that SSD is amazing and impressive audio technology at 399$ is amazing.

Sony maximized performance to launch at 399$.
yes, looks good
Best part of the conference for me:
ETaHAqOWkAE3OPH
haha

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
lol really?

An out-of-nowhere tweet promising PS5 news on an official Twitter account meant primarily for consumers isn't "hyping"?

The countdown was at the start of the video, not the Youtube one.

You really expect people to know about a video from 7 years ago?
"Hype" ... they explained what it was for.

There's literally no countdown in the video, go back and play it if you want. It was the youtube countdown... how does that count for anything..

You're really just filling up bullet points and posting random stuff to make it sound like you sound right lol

Exodia

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 9, 2020
There is absolutely no way this thing is running at 2.23 ghz. Especially when running heavy hitter next gen games. Most times probably at 2ghz. Real world test is what matters.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
This was exactly what I expected it to be (other than the lol audience) and I thought it was pretty interesting even though some of the tech is beyond my general knowledge.

I especially liked how he tended to talk about WHY they went down certain paths.

I also appreciated that though touched on concerns from PS4 that are always brought up... fan noise, overheating, backwards compatibility. That should at least alleviate some issues for people that care about those things.

Ok, back to reading you all argue about what this SHOULD have been ;)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
That was honestly pretty disappointing. Keep in mind the 10.28 TFLOPs is at max boost speeds for the ps5 which will almost certainly not be at all times. This means that number is inflated, and the GitHub leak of 9TFLOPs was correct.

Ok we are still talking a absolutely massive leap over PS4 and a raising of the bar for the whole generation

Just being slightly "weaker" isnt going to be the end all

That said Sony has been slowing and surely losing its software edge as well as getting hammered on the value spectrum by MS

Maybe its only a matter of time before I jump ship. They almost had me with PSO2

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was no indication of a jet engine. They said they had to cap the GPU as it could run higher.
From the AMD FAD I expected multi-GHz GPU, but capped at 2.23! Nice.
I'm excited personally. The TFLOPS are not the same as last gen but for me the real exciting element is the SSD and the IO throughput. That is super exciting for me and if the devs like it then all the better.

It all comes down to the games anyway.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
From the closed spec thread

This is the best explanation that i've seen about the PS5's decisions.

They maximised the hell out whats achievable in a $399 price point.

Unless of course it's not $399 lol.
I think the teraflops metric is very misleading this gen. I think (hope) performance will be closer than a 2 TF difference due to PS5's much higher clock speed and other features. $499 not out of the question.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was as expected I love the man.

- Whats up with the variable freq for GPU/CPU. Its odd

- Why is the SSD not 1TB.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I really really hope they still target that $399 msrp but thinking now it'll be a bit higher with all the custom silicon/solutions. Just please don't go over that $450 msrp.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I knew this was going to be spec talk and a deep dive on that so I didn't expect anything else. But to say that Sony is presenting their console well is disingenuous. Their message has been muddy, and this talk should have come after showing off some things for it. I know that the situation the whole world is in right now probably changed plans, but as of now, this isn't running smoothly.

Having said that, the specs look good and that SSD is looking amazing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't really feel the atmosphere here is anywhere close to friendly so I'll just make a single closing statement.

If you see a widespread negative reaction to something like this and your personal reaction is the equivalent to this:

888.jpg

Then maybe, just maybe, your argument is flimsy.

...that's especially if said argument relies on insulting the intelligence of other members and calling them "Rabbid dog pathetic man-trolls."

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Spot on. The confidence and 'we have to prove to you why you should give a shit about our brand and our box' from 2013 is completely missing as of right now. Feels very much like a company that assumes their audience will be there regardless of how they handle this launch.

I don't get that at all. I'm inclined to think that your reaction is entirely based on your lack of appreciation of the details they provided.

Nov 5, 2017
1. They're focused a lot more on 3D audio this time, and likely VR by extension.
2. They balanced toward lower cost, MS is balancing towards raw power at a higher cost. Lots of (accurate, but also a lot of "so it's really like") talk about the raw figures not being important or comparable.
3. The BC doesn't sound like it's where they promised it would be. They only discussed PS4 so far, and said that at launch most of the "Top 100" titles would be playable.
4. A bunch of custom processors and related hardware to try to smooth out bottlenecks, and for games to use memory and storage much closer to "Just In Time" rather than keeping everything on-hand in case it needs it sometime soon.
5. Some consumer M.2 SSDs will be allowed as expandable storage, but only if they meet or exceed the PS5's. Slot size is also an issue due to large coolers. You can load PS4 games to external hard drives and play them off of those, or import them into the PS5's SSD.

Thanks!

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
That's the entire crux of the argument. Timing does matter. It's why people are understandably annoyed at this presentation when there is still such little info out there. PS4's unveiling was masterful IMO. Not copying that feels bizarre to me.

I did you a favor and cut out the rest of your tantrum. The less people that see that, the better.
But they havent unveiled the PS5 yet. If it doesnt come out until the holidays or later, they still have plenty of time put together some nostalgia tugging ads like they did for the PS4. And they can still do a whole conference style reveal where they show some games and the price. Outside of tweeting out a heads up about a GDC conference, this seems to be about the same as the PS4 lead up so far. People are just so thirsty right now they are losing their marbles over a presentation that they didnt even know happened with the PS4.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I knew it was going to be a shit show when people here were expecting games and announcements. Again, good luck mods o/

On topic, I loved the talk. Cerny has ear fetish and I'll send pics to him.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't know how people build up these ludicrous expectations of what was clearly advertised as a discussion about system architecture.

Sony did the exact same thing with the PS4. Looking back, no one cared once we finally saw the console and the games. And of course they're saving that up for the official reveal and game announcements.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I was a little surprised when PSF was talking about how we should throw the teraflops number out as a final arbiter of system performance, but now that I've finished the video, I fully understand his intentions. The idea that PS5 has a faster SSD (more than double) and a ton of custom hardware that speeds up the whole process of storage to screen makes it clear that they've really considered things very carefully. It now seems like Microsoft is trying to hit us over the head with the big number without enough details on the accoutrements that will streamline the entire process.

It would have been nice if the GPU number was better, but the way things have been explained, I can't imagine that the casual fans will be able to pick out the differences with just a cursory examination (nor many of the experts). The true measure will be the third party games for those breaking out the measuring sticks. For the exclusives, I cannot wait. The stuff they can achieve on PS4 hardware is already amazing. The games will be mind-bogglingly good.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
That's the interesting stuff. People jump at the damn terraflop number so hard but totally ignore all the custom controllers and stuff. Cerny made it very clear that the raw number is not the one and ultimate measure. I'm really excited and the SSD stuff sounds mindboggling.

And as has already been pointed out, only some first party games will take advantage of it. Not even all as many will target PS4 crossgen and PC releases. The other 95% of games will be built around MS's drive and generic PC drives. Or more likely, Lockhart's even slightly slower drive.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

TF are not the end-all be-all measure of performance. It's just a nice, simple number that's easily summed up, so the internet tends to go with it.

It's quite possible (within reason) to have a design with a lower TF number actually outperform one with a higher TF number. Whether that will actually be the case with the PS5 vs. the Series X remains to be seen.

My best guess at this point is that the consoles are going to perform closely enough that factors like price, ecosystem and library preference should be the bigger considerations, but of course that isn't going to happen here.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
The only disappointment is the PS5's BC for PS4 games. Does Legacy mode mean we can't run PS4 games at higher spec? I was looking forward to 60FPS Bloodborne.

SSD and 3D Audio sound great.

Plum

May 31, 2018
"Hype" ... they explained what it was for.

There's literally no countdown in the video, go back and play it if you want. It was the youtube countdown... how does that count for anything..

You're really just filling up bullet points and posting random stuff to make it sound like you sound right lol

They explained what it was for but nothing beyond that, leaving people to draw their own conclusions. As I've pointed out via posting the Digital Foundry video a "deep dive," does not have to be what this presentation was, yet that has consistently been ignored.

And there was a countdown with music and everything. Ask anyone else and they'll attest to this. Literal gaslighting ain't gonna work here.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Cant wait to see how Tlou2,gow2,hzd2 will utilize this massive power.

Tlou2 already looks way ahead of everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.