• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Ok I wasn't expecting the GPU to only be 36 CU's, I also wasn't expecting the clock speeds to be over 2.2ghz, and finally I dont think any of us were expecting the SSD speeds to be 5.5gb. I must of miss them talking about the ram, not sure what the speed is of that. Interesting tech talk though, I liked it.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm embedded in the ecosystem due to the exclusives I like and my friends being PS exclusive, but I'm gonna need this to be $399.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
dolphears.jpg

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
to everyone complaining about the style of presentation this ended up being, you were warned yesterday, you have no one but yourself to blame.

As for what was actually shown I'm more then satisfied. The hardware sounds exciting and I think it's a smart idea to get tech and the technical stuff out of the way. come a couple months from now we'll be talking games, price and what the actual box looks like.

Nov 5, 2017
So, uh, what's the TL;DR...what I got out of this presentation was that the 2 systems are basically identical and we basically already knew this before this presentation...

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know what to think.

The great time of the PS4 reveal feels like a century ago.
Disappointing specs and marketing. Sony needs to show great games ASAP...

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
This is lame sony has messed up really bad no bc and much weeker than Xbox unbelievable to be that disconected from your players

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I like Cerny a lot. I recall him leading a similar architectural breakdown for PS4. The new sound features really excite me. A bit disappointed to not see a shape of the thing, but whatever.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
I don't know... Even if this conference is for the professionals, I think they should never have done this, ever.

Look at these fake audiences and dull lecture. These kind of stuffs just instantly kills the hype of average consumers.

Since they knew their main competitor's numbers, they should have just hidden the fact that their machine is weaker and released them later with actual gameplay demo on the live stage. It would be much more forgivable.

Sony PR team made a huge mistake.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well that was fascinating.

3D audio and haptics really do seem like they'll be a generational leap in immersion. Kudos to Sony and Cerny for actually innovating in interesting ways. My interest in PS5 has skyrocketed.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
2 Wired articles and a GDC presentation 6-7 months before your new console is coming out. Woof.

Night and day from how deftly PS4 was handled.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
VEEERY interesting tech talk that I understood and appreciated as a tech nerd

....that being said, I can see how folks will absolutely hate this approach.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
More interesting architecture than the x for sure. We'll see where they push game design.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
More interesting architecture than the x for sure. We'll see where they push game design.

First party and exclusive parties will definitely take advantage of the architecture; how will multi-platform titles respond I wonder.

Will these differences make either system easier to develop for?

So to confirm, GPU wise

Series X: 52 CUs at 1.825GHz
PS5: 36 CUs at 2.23GHz

Can anyone elaborate on what Cerny was saying about how it's more beneficial overall to have lower CU count but higher frequency, vs the opposite?

That part of the discussion begins at 31:40 of the video.

I'm not even going to try and summarize it. =)

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Every single person in this thread would be losing their minds, posting GIFs left and right, and having a party if the numbers were all bigger than Series X. I heard nothing but endless hype about full backwards compatibility with the full PS library.

Now, after learning the reality is quite different, it's "well the numbers never really mattered anyways" and "who buys a console to play old games?"

I actually agree that the numbers don't tell the full story at all. But the backpedaling in this thread is pretty amusing.
Numbers are meaningless without games.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The performance is with striking distance. Same gap between PS5/XSX as Pro/X.

Might have been boring but informative nonetheless.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User warned: Antagonizing other members
I'm quite happy with that presentation. Was just like the first half of the PS Meeting in Feb 2013 when they announced the PS4. Lovely stuff.

What were people expecting? Seriously? You knew what you were getting, don't lie now. It was GDC talk but pre-recorded. Sick of this young whiny generation of gamers. Go back to your fortnite and CoD shit.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I cant watch as I am in work? Did he really waffle on for about an hour? Very few people will have an attention span to listen to tech specs so long

It was a good technical presentation -- primer on the challenges they wanted to address, and how the architecture addresses them. Don't go in expecting anything more.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Well you only said "people" and I suggested that out of those people who wanted BC beyond just this gen wanted Ps1 and 2. Why are you asking me if I've been asleep the past 2 generations?

Sorry, not going to bother arguing it.

I'm all for wanting BC but expecting PS1-3 on the hardware is downright unrealistic. Thats some dream world stuff. lol

Pretty much. Even if Sony never said in wording that this would be a Ps5 reveal or games reveal, the fact that they're having a conference at all and making it available to the public but not just to tech and developers means regardless of how specific they are, the audience (consumers) will be disappointed

GDC presentations/conferences are usually available to the public though? People need to understand what a "deep dive" means and keep expectations in check. In this case, not even in check, but in the same field and atleast borderline realistic

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, this man literally got us with "I guess we'll find out one day" and the stream instantly ended LMAO. Come on dawg.

"I was waiting for him to say y'all wanna see this PS5?! Y'all wanna see it???"

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every single person in this thread would be losing their minds, posting GIFs left and right, and having a party if the numbers were all bigger than Series X. I heard nothing but endless hype about full backwards compatibility with the full PS library.

Now, after learning the reality is quite different, it's "well the numbers never really mattered anyways" and "who buys a console to play old games?"

I actually agree that the numbers don't tell the full story at all. But the backpedaling in this thread is pretty amusing.
No? People are pretty much universally bummed about the BC and are saying so. Stop trying to gaslight the thread and stir up more console war crap.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
So uh.. this actually made me feel flashbacks to ps3/xbox one initial reveal

- shitty bc (and ps4 only)
- variable frequency (it is like admitting they cant invest in a cooling system)
- focus on 3d... audio (lol)

sure the ssd seems great but man.. that was a shitshow imo
3D audio is much more important than people realize. It's a big leap forward and will be something people can't live without as it gets standarized down the road.

Oct 27, 2017
Since I'm part sound dork, that made for a good finale for me. There are some really exciting possibilities to be had by paying more attention to sound in games. It's tough to branch out into multisensory stuff, but the audio part of this largely audiovisual medium doesn't often get the attention it deserves.

Think of a proper Alien:Isolation PSVR2 release with this kind of sound tech behind it.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
While tech talks are fine the PS4 reveal had a great balance between design philosophy and showing how the system works. I thought the teams at Sony would know this by now.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I know I am in day 1 and they will have amazing games too, but this was a very poor initial reveal for the PS5.

Some are saying that this was a GDC talk or that they didn't promise anything, but I would say Sony decided to do this live on YouTube and they should have known the type of audience they were going to get specially now that everyone is at home.

The details were interesting but as many have said I'd rather go see the eventual DF video than hear it here. I want to see the system, controller, news about games and features just like MS has done.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
I hope some people enjoyed that, but for me personally, even though I care about tech and stuff, that was pretty boring. I thought we were gonna see the PS5 and it's controller, etc. Instead it feels like I just sat through a lecture about improving tech. I don't know, not very exciting.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
i never thought reading a digital foundry article and watching their video coverage would be far more interesting than something direct from Sonys chief architect.

Concentrating on SSD and (rather strangely) 3D audio and glossing over other areas was....mmmm, i dont know a bit odd. Within the first few mins of the presentation I knew MS had the more powerful console

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I don't understand. He opened the presentation stating that this was for GDC and they're doing it now because it was canceled. Why the hate?
Yeah I don't know what were people expecting. It was never stated to be a console reveal.

Seems interesting, especially that super fast custom ssd. Hopefully the price is 399.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
LMAO WHAT A MONUMENTAL MARKETING DISASTER

You've got people BEGGING for PS5 info and Sony gives you an hour long talk about ear shapes and numbers. I know this was supposed to be a GDC talk but MAYBE this should have waited until the console was officially revealed???

arrogant sony is back, get 2 jobs to pay for crazy 3d sound no one asked for yay!

Yall for real? This seems like exciting next gen audio tech that'll make a notable difference to games. Unless you're the type that just listens to podcasts when you play or something.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
LMAO WHAT A MONUMENTAL MARKETING DISASTER

You've got people BEGGING for PS5 info and Sony gives you an hour long talk about ear shapes and numbers. I know this was supposed to be a GDC talk but MAYBE this should have waited until the console was officially revealed???
It's so baffling. It probably doesn't matter much but what an opportunity they had set up on a tee and they were content to do...that.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh so the 825GB number for the SSD is after the system reservations. You won't get the full 1TB space in the Xbox Series X for games, so its not really different.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Doesn't really matter if it was a deep dive to the architeture of the PS5, they could've still shown tech demos of the technologies they're talking about.
I do agree there. If you think back to the PS4 reveal they showed games of course but while Mark was going through the techy bits they showed off Unreal Engine and things like that to better visualise what he is talking about.

Instead we got the wireframe maps from the Crystal Maze.

Status
Not open for further replies.