• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO WHAT A MONUMENTAL MARKETING DISASTER

You've got people BEGGING for PS5 info and Sony gives you an hour long talk about ear shapes and numbers. I know this was supposed to be a GDC talk but MAYBE this should have waited until the console was officially revealed???

as an outlier, I am offended at this post

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
People sad the tactic behind the Xbox One seemed like MS didn't know it's audience. PS fans were begging for some cool stuff and got hyped by a countdown. Even though it was suppose to be boring, can we say that they don't reach their hype hungry audience?

And for people being angry on Github believers: it was very obvious that after the XsX reveal and the 12TF number fanboys were heating each other up with just upping numbers (even up to 18TF).

It was an interesting stream, but Sony's strategy doesnt catch the normal gamer outside Era.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mark Sony has a nice cadence and mannerisms when he speaks so I enjoyed the ASMR but I don't know why this wasn't just a blog post when DF dropped the full specs during the livestream.

600,000 people got mega pranked

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I'm amazed at the thought process and solution finding Mark Cerny puts out every time he does a keynote or a presentation.

I was in Day 1 and now more than ever.

Plum

May 31, 2018
What else would a reveal of system architecture be?
What exactly do you think system architecture entails?

Why are you being disingenuous and obtuse about this? You're even changing your terminology to make yourself sound less wrong/disingenuous. Just accept the L.

Sony advertised this as a deep dive into PS5's system architecture, and that's exactly what it was.

"Just accept the L"

Not when "accepting the L" means accepting this narrative that Sony did nothing wrong here and that the general public are idiots.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Every single person in this thread would be losing their minds, posting GIFs left and right, and having a party if the numbers were all bigger than Series X. I heard nothing but endless hype about full backwards compatibility with the full PS library.

Now, after learning the reality is quite different, it's "well the numbers never really mattered anyways" and "who buys a console to play old games?"

I actually agree that the numbers don't tell the full story at all. But the backpedaling in this thread is pretty amusing.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how they thought this was a good idea without even revealing the design of the console.
Like... No way they still don't have it right??

When I mean good idea I mean in terms of marketing. Don't make it a countdown and hype it up if this was just a GDC talk. I thought it was interesting, terrible idea though.

Very underwhelming, specially coming right after the Series X reveal.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
LMAO WHAT A MONUMENTAL MARKETING DISASTER

You've got people BEGGING for PS5 info and Sony gives you an hour long talk about ear shapes and numbers. I know this was supposed to be a GDC talk but MAYBE this should have waited until the console was officially revealed???
I didn't mind the presentation but this is absolutely what should have happened. They're going to take heat for it.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Great presentation, but this was a terrible first impression imo. People are not gonna be happy lol, especially right after Xbox's specs

I enjoyed the technical aspects though :)

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty disappointed in the storage space and lack of full bc... only other thing I cared about was having a fan that doesn't scream at me but I didn't understand anything he said about that lol.

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
15z1l13.jpg
Omfg

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Loved the stream, Cerny presentation 👌

Some crazy tech with that HRTF, taking pictures of ear tho 😅

And my hopes for $399 might be back on the table

Give it to me!

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me, Sony marketing should be ashamed. no disrespect to cerney, but it looked like the stage had amateur production values.

I fully respect its a gdc presentation but hyping it worldwide was a mistake.

Because of the Corona virus, you cant have really that many people in one room...I think it did what it was suppose to do. provide the specs without all of the BS.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So roles are reversed from PS4 to Xbox one days.

Xbox has better messaging and specs. PS5 is messaging is confusing. Really disappointed in ps team

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to hear more about the cooling system.. he mentioned we'd here more at the full breakdown whenever that is.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
So yeah, if prices are 450 to make.. I can see them taking a 50 loss per console, like how most consoles have in the past. $400 team here.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't understand. He opened the presentation stating that this was for GDC and they're doing it now because it was canceled. Why the hate?

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Sony just was feeling bad for all the kids at home and not at school by making them sit through a class like lecture.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This certainly wasn't the way I expected them to deliver the first PS5 details. It was an interesting talk though, I'm excited to try out the sound stuff.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
So to confirm, GPU wise

Series X: 52 CUs at 1.825GHz
PS5: 36 CUs at 2.23GHz

Can anyone elaborate on what Cerny was saying about how it's more beneficial overall to have lower CU count but higher frequency, vs the opposite?
Everything runs faster. He used it on the context of flops and that flops is only a measure of one aspect but running higher means all the other aspects run faster too.

It was a bit of a PR way to say well it sucks compared to the competition but at least there's some up-sides.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
If the games are revealed in a few months time & everyone swoons then this tech talk will very conveniently be forgotten about.

I for one found it very interesting & look forward to seeing what developers do with the tech provided.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So why do people think that XSX is much stronger?

Cerny seemed to say that less CUs with higher frequency was better, and he also said that measuring tflops was pointless.

I'd... take his word for it? What do we know about XSX that makes people so sure it's better?
*PS - I'm a tech noob.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
That was super cool to see precisely where bottlenecks were coming from and how they designed to eliminate them. I like the approach they seem to be continuing to take in making the performance come through without much or any setup; I think that's pretty big, especially seeing firsthand how much time and effort it takes from crazy smart people to make optimization happen on a game. And Im super hyped for the 3D audio! That's an often underappreciated, but massive part of games ( and moves of course). Glad they are taking a similar approach there as well!

I might Day 1 this console given the BC capability, especially since I use it as my streaming app box too (which im assuming will be much snappier too). Now Im just praying the controllers have BC too.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where are the lies? Sony advertised it as a revealfor the PS5's system architecture. That says nothing about this being a dry technical talk that is primarily meant for developers. I gave the example of Digital Foundry's video which does very much the same thing but with actual tech demos, gameplay footage (albeit not of XBSX games), etc.

Also there are three other points there. Did Sony not do a countdown and Youtube premiere? Did they not know about what Microsoft has been doing (e.g. the Digital Foundry partnerships, the quick tech demos, the flashy reveal trailer, etc)? Did they actually say this wasn't for consumers in the tweet?

If your argument relies on everyone else being an idiot if they don't see what you, as someone with a bunch more contextual knowledge, see then your argument is incredibly flimsy. Maybe realise that people aren't simply idiots and that, perhaps, they simply don't know what you know and that it's up to Sony, not themselves, to manage expectations.

Or maybe the Old-People Mahjong Club shouldn't have mislead people into thinking that they were hosting a party.
The tweet literally says "lead system architect ... a deep dive ... system architecture", which sounds exactly like what we got.

It was a GDC presentation, and they didn't sway from it. It's only premiering on YouTube because of the unprecedented global pandemic going on. I can understand not wanting to watch the whole thing, but I don't know why folks are upset about it.

At the end of the day, we now have technical spec sheets for both consoles. I think that's rad!

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, people found this boring? I found it to be extremely interesting, the SSD talk blew me away. Everything sound so fking amazing, I have no idea if it's just PR talk but I doubt it since he talked to developers mostly? Either way it sounds like it'll be one helluva console.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe the Old-People Mahjong Club shouldn't have mislead people into thinking that they were hosting a party.
By literally tweeting that they were having a mahjong meeting. Not a party. Not an orgy. Not a huge reveal. Just the lead architect of mahjong meetings showing an hour-long mahjong meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.