• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I understand this is a GDC presentation, but it wasn't marketed like one it. It was all over games media like it was a "reveal" event. This is a really weird presentation at this point considering how little they've shown and how much Microsoft has shown.
A "technical deep dive" isn't marketed as a GDC presentation? They even said this is what was planned for GDC. People who expected otherwise deluded themselves and wanted to see what they wanted to see. Like did people want them to say "NO GAMES!!!!" In bold print?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't care about BC, and would actually be happy if Sony traded away BC in favor of more powah. Just learn to keep your old consoles, folks.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you could compare this to cars almost. You could have a Porsche that is horsepower wise much less than some 1000 hp monster car and that Porsche is going to be a much better drive every day.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
It bears repeating: The average person that is mildly into PC gaming or that has been into next-gen specs is bored because this isn't a deep dive for us but rather a surface-level skim. Using the argument "this is for game developers" doesn't make sense as they would be even more intimately familiar with what is being discussed. This is an ELI5 tech explanation. This is why some of us are kinda bored and wanting more.

Nailed it. Devs already know this shit.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No one cares about PS1/2, guys. That's a very small subset of the population. You don't engineer for that.

Dec 7, 2017
I dont know about "MASSIVELY" . These are complex SOCs. Raw numbers definitely reflect advantages but how they actually turn out practically is what matters. Loading time of 5 seconds is better than loading time of 10 seconds but they are not going to be very noticeable but loading time of 2 minutes is definitely going to be more noticeable than a loading time of a minute.
Agree, maybe I was being a bit too enthusiastic. It just seems that Sony has approached the system architecture differently compared to Microsoft. More focused on improving visible gaming experiences compared to more raw power available for development. Both have their pros and cons, I just feel more attracted to Sony's approach.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Cerny is more shook than I would have expected. XSX won't impact their business at all but here is trying to explain why higher clocks are "better" than more CUs. Not the first "in"direct comparison he has made
at this point if they continue to talk about it more in theory and how it can perform rather than the way Series X has been shown, it certainly can impact their business

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of mental gymnastics, having a bigger GPU is bad apparently. 2080ti < 2060 confirmed. Cool how fast the SSD is though

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is actually cool. Super in-depth, and explains their thought process behind the decisions (within their limitations).

I hope this means the PS5 will be traditional in actual console physical design.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
So we have...

Microsoft = Power
Sony = Speed

So what does that make Nintendo? Communications expert? Explosives guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.