• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Exactly! Dana Cerny is a bit boring but that is expected with the kind of presentation it is.

My issue is why did they chose to use this as their initial reveal? This needed to be GDC and/or private for the GDC audience.
The PS4 reveal struck a perfect balance of how to inform and also excite. This is just ill-conceived on many levels.

EscoBlades

Banned
May 31, 2019
Toronto
Don't understand why there doing this boring technical talk for a system we haven't even seen yet? Shouldn't the real reveal have come first? Sony are incomprehensible I swear

These are the sort of presentations that get given to the folks who will create the software that will run on the platform in the first place. So no, the reveal doesn't need to have come first. This wasn't planned to be a consumer facing presentation in the first place, it was for GDC, aimed at developers.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else worried that this System Architecture Deep Dive video is not going to appeal to all the people who didn't want to watch a System Architecture Deep Dive video?

Dec 7, 2017
So what I've gathered so far is that XSX has a bit more raw tflop power and more drive space however PS5 can load like twice as fast
Yup, PS5 has 5.5 Gbps I/O throughput per second. XSX has 2.4 Gbps. So more than double. This is gonna MASSIVELY impact gaming experience compared to the XSX. Sure the XSX will maybe run at a slightly higher resolution but most people don't see that difference. Double as fast loading time though? Everyone can see that.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand the approach here, even if it's superior to the Xbox Series X SSD, but the fact that you just insert some expansion SSD into the Series X sounds a lot more elegant than what is being described here.

Just release 1st party drives.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
ngl, i tuned out. I am pretty interested in tech stuff but this clearly isnt intended for consumers (and it was said as such) so im really fucking baffled as to why this is the first piece of media that sony chose to properly talk about the ps5 with. It wouldve been fine if it was coupled with a couple of games, but oh well.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So current M.2 drives will be significantly slower than Sony's custom solution.

I'm all for Sony pushing tech but I hope we see third party solutions with competing speeds.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So no proprietary drives for the PS5? Off the shelf future SSD's will be fine?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
If I am part of the PS5 Marketing, I'll make a more casual approach for the PS5 reveal first and show games, then create a separate talk regarding the system architecture after.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you guys expecting this to be a full console reveal? They never said it was. I'll be shocked if they even show the console itself. This is all a tech talk.

Jan 16, 2018
This will go down as one of the biggest blunders that sunk the PS5. waiting forever to reveal anything, then when they do, its about i/o controllers and a SSD 101 course. wtf

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
They should just use the nvm as cold storage, would fix the firmware / controller problem. Hot loading would take seconds anyway.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a bad excuse thou, I get it... Originally it was for GDC. But if so then just make a presentation only visible for that target audience. When you freaking twit to the masses and advertise in your blog to watch this show!! Then what?

It's a horrible presentation anywhere you'd see it imo.
Such a weird take. "Sony don't show us idiots anything too technical because we will have bad hot takes." Rather than just not having those takes.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
From Waypoints Cado and Patrick:

ETZ4kvKWAAAoOz4

That's just fantastic :D

Status
Not open for further replies.