• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Destin Legarie follows it up saying that "MS absolutely blows the PS5 out of the water", when you couldn't even say that about the PS4/XB1. These "journalists" honestly will never hold themselves accountable, even these years later they're still proving that they should just keep their mouths shut instead of commentating on things they have next to no interest in getting to the bottom of themselves. I'm sure if they actually reached out to a "developer" they would also find out that the difference between these consoles is smaller than it's ever been, and the biggest percentage difference is in the SSD, with a 120% gain, vs around 15% in other categories. IGN… reach out to actual developers working on games for both machines before you "inform" your impressionable audience on things that serve to exacerbate the console war narrative that you claim is "inevitable".

I said this before… what the absolute hell is going on with Xbox/MS proponents in misrepresenting the state of affairs, and the specification of both consoles? I don't remember the FUD brigade being this lopsided.

Microsoft heads have historically responded to and promoted people like Timdog and MisterXMedia, who basically thrive on spreading fanboy sensationalism or FUD.

We even had Microsoft's senior director of product planning come onto the last forum and downplay the performance deficit between the PS4 and Xbox One, claiming there's "no way they were giving up a 30%+ hw advantage to Sony".

And remember Aaron Greenbergs "You realise you will see every game in 1080p as your output right?" Tweet to Timdog?

It gives the impression that this culture of disingenuous sensationalism and online sentiment from others is something Microsoft are or at least were happy to support so long as it benefited the brand.

Given that, I'm not entirely surprised there are Xbox centric journalists like Brad going with Github as fact, contrary to what Cerny has said nor the fact that the official specs differ to the Github rumours, or that he's comparing the PS5 to a Honda Accord and the XSX to a Bugatti Chiron.

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft heads have historically responded to and promoted people like Timdog and MisterXMedia, who basically thrive on spreading fanboy sensationalism or FUD. We even had Microsoft's senior director of product planning come onto the last forum and downplay the performance deficit between the PS4 and Xbox One, claiming there's "no way they were giving up a 30%+ hw advantage to Sony". It gives the impression that this culture of disingenuous sensationalism and online sentiment from others is something Microsoft are happy to support so long as it benefits the brand.

Given that, I'm not surprised there are Xbox centric journalists like Brad going with Github as fact, contrary to what Cerny has said nor the fact that the official specs differ to the Github rumours, or that he's comparing the PS5 to a Honda Accord and the XSX to a Bugatti Chiron.

Yikes

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Microsoft heads have historically responded to and promoted people like Timdog and MisterXMedia, who basically thrive on spreading fanboy sensationalism or FUD. We even had Microsoft's senior director of product planning come onto the last forum and downplay the performance deficit between the PS4 and Xbox One, claiming there's "no way they were giving up a 30%+ hw advantage to Sony". It gives the impression that this culture of disingenuous sensationalism and online sentiment from others is something Microsoft are happy to support so long as it benefits the brand.

Given that, I'm not surprised there are Xbox centric journalists like Brad going with Github as fact, contrary to what Cerny has said nor the fact that the official specs differ to the Github rumours, or that he's comparing the PS5 to a Honda Accord and the XSX to a Bugatti Chiron.

I've seen like 2 or 3 articles claiming that the 10.3 tf figure was a lie. I swear it's like people are trying to will a certain narrative into existence. if xbox were to 'win' next gen. let it do so by it's own merits, not by being propped up by fanboy nonsense and tech speculation from people who don't know the first thing about how electronics work internally.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But some people, mostly immature children, I'm guessing,
you are guessing wrong. try guessing senior citizens, you'd be far closer.

The whole discord server came into the thread within minutes. It's hilarious.
i have been extremely critical of cerny's design choices and sonys marketing strat since the reveal. no invite yet. what more do i have to do to get in to this server?
Github was proven to be 100% accurate
you do realize github was only right about the 36 cu count. they were off on the gpu clocks. the ram bandwidth. hardware rt and vrs. and the gonzalo and flute apus tied to the github leaks were also off on the cpu clocks. no ever ever denied that it wasnt credible. we all maintained till the very end that it was outdated.

i do love how klee is dismissed because he got one thing wrong. that ps5 had more tflops. but he was the first one to say that both consoles were over 10 tflops and more powerful than the 2019 navi cards. so he was right on 2 out of 3 things. github was right on 1 out 5. 20% accuracy vs 66% accuracy.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's yikes exactly? Discuss the points I made within the post if you think anything said was inaccurate or disagreeable, state why. Ultimately I'm happy to post receipts.

You're basically insinuating that the Xbox team cultivates fanboys and that anyone that covers Microsoft is somehow misleading everyone.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol yup. It's funny af. I just sit back and watch. Cause if I say something I usually get banned.

9129.jpg

Shambala
The Fallen

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
i have been extremely critical of cerny's design choices and sonys marketing strat since the reveal. no invite yet. what more do i have to do to get in to this server?
You're being too obvious. You need to make backhanded remarks that are somewhat hard to spot and even harder to report. Master Chief avatar could help as well.

What's yikes exactly? Discuss the points I made within the post if you think anything said was inaccurate or disagreeable, state why. Ultimately I'm happy to post receipts.
Don't engage.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're basically insinuating that the Xbox team cultivates fanboys and that anyone that covers Microsoft is somehow misleading everyone.

Yes that the Xbox team has potentially aided in cultivating fanboys and a culture of misinformation (everything I mentioned in my post was a matter of historical fact), but definitely not that everyone covering Microsoft is misleading people. The latter would be nonsense.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You are missing some information like for example you need another box that represents actual real world numbers. We know that all of MS numbers are guaranteed sustained, while all of Sony numbers are all peak. So it doesn't truly represent what capability devs have to work with.

If you have a source for real world numbers, I'm all ears. The simple fact is we don't have them. What we do have is the assertion that these should represent the reality "most" of the time, and that any decreases are on the order of "a couple percent." That rolls up under my statement calling out that real world performance is a different story, and one that has yet to be written, because neither GHz nor TF are trivially correlated with performance on their own.

As always, if you want an accurate picture of what the consoles can do you should wait to see what games look like when they're finally revealed, running on final hardware.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft heads have historically responded to and promoted people like Timdog and MisterXMedia, who basically thrive on spreading fanboy sensationalism or FUD.

We even had Microsoft's senior director of product planning come onto the last forum and downplay the performance deficit between the PS4 and Xbox One, claiming there's "no way they were giving up a 30%+ hw advantage to Sony".

And remember Aaron Greenbergs "You realise you will see every game in 1080p as your output right?" Tweet to Timdog?

It gives the impression that this culture of disingenuous sensationalism and online sentiment from others is something Microsoft are or at least were happy to support so long as it benefited the brand.

Given that, I'm not entirely surprised there are Xbox centric journalists like Brad going with Github as fact, contrary to what Cerny has said nor the fact that the official specs differ to the Github rumours, or that he's comparing the PS5 to a Honda Accord and the XSX to a Bugatti Chiron.

I will also add that I don't think he meant the PS5 is a Honda Accord in terms of quality (although Accords are great cars) but that the PS5 is going to sell a lot of vehicles no matter what.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes that the Xbox team has potentially aided in cultivating fanboys and a culture of misinformation (everything I mentioned in my post was a matter of historical fact), but definitely not that everyone covering Microsoft is misleading people. The latter would be nonsense.

I don't think there's anything wrong with engaging with your biggest fans (the biggest fans tend to be the biggest fanatics and aren't going to be objective). I agree that the comments from the Xbox team during the xbox one launch were really lame and I'm glad the team has turned it around this time.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Biggest difference is "power of the cloud" never showed up. The SSD will be in there from day one.
What exactly will SSD being there do? You have RtX2080 TI produce crazy good 4K RT graphics with even 50mb/s HDD, it's not drive pushing graphics, it's GPU. SSDs will help push the bottom line, but at what point does bandwidth increase stop mattering to graphics? Is MS bandwidth enough to account for max GPU can handle even at 8K or is it not even enough at 1080p? SSD will surely speed up game resumes etc., loading game and streaming assets all requires CPU and GPU processing. Didn't Alex from DF also state that majority of asset streaming is small 4KB reads, neither Sony nor MS have given us those SSD numbers.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly will SSD being there do? You have RtX2080 TI produce crazy good 4K RT graphics with even 50mb/s HDD, it's not drive pushing graphics, it's GPU. SSDs will help push the bottom line, but at what point does bandwidth increase stop mattering to graphics? Is MS bandwidth enough to account for max GPU can handle even at 8K or is it not even enough at 1080p? SSD will surely speed up game resumes etc., loading game and streaming assets all requires CPU and GPU processing. Didn't Alex from DF also state that majority of asset streaming is small 4KB reads, neither Sony nor MS have given us those SSD numbers.

We have SSD numbers .
What others numbers are you looking for the SSD, cause certain things will depend on the engine and game.

Last edited:

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I don't think there's anything wrong with engaging with your biggest fans (the biggest fans tend to be the biggest fanatics and aren't going to be objective). I agree that the comments from the Xbox team during the xbox one launch were really lame and I'm glad the team has turned it around this time.
Xbox has also retweeted some pretty questionable comments from guys like Timdog.

Feb 23, 2019
User banned (1 week): Hostility. Ignoring staff post.
He is saying that Playstation fans in this thread are in denial about their console being weaker. We are driving away journalists like Brad Sams and Dictator by being fanboys in denial harassing respectable journalists.

He's right. I am ashamed of my deeds.

Journalists don't get a free pass from spreading out just blatantly false information

Dictator was on her saying how the SSD won't have a big impact on open world streaming of assets, which was patently false and called out by ex ND developer

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
The funny thing about that podcast is that some of the same people in it who are now trumpeting the XSX's 18% GPU advantage over the PS5, were the same ones downplaying the PS4's 40% GPU advantage over the Xbox One, not to mention the benefits of a higher resolution.

You may remember this little nugget lol.

2811890-1541165371-IGN.g.gif
Yeh, not to mention that even an 18% difference in next-gen consoles is misleading due to diminishing returns once the specs get this advanced.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
At any rate. had anyone seen this video? They go into some very interesting detail about the implications of Sony's console design choice.

youtu.be

AMD's Checkmate

Get 20% off a premium annual subscription on Brilliant's great courses: https://brilliant.org/coreteks Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/coretek...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Journalists don't get a free pass from spreading out just blatantly false information

Dictator was on her saying how the SSD won't have a big impact on open world streaming of assets, which was patently false and called out by ex ND developer
How about you quote what i actually said and you will realise I did not say at all what you just typed.
how about this ResetERA moderation, how about you actually do something?

I am calling this complete and utter bullshit. I clearly never said anything of the sort and have made Videos in the topic about how the SSD enables game design.

Utter trash ResetERA - this place is utter trash.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019

Sure, linear games can get rid of hiden loading screens while squezzing trought gaps but open world games are the ones I expect to benefit the most.

We even got a concrete example with Spider-Man and dev commentary how limited they were. Watching the GDC talk. Its crazy how many adjustments and optimizations they had to make. The PS5 gotta be a godsend for devs.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think he was saying that the ps5 open world games won't have a big enough difference compared to series x. Not that all ssds won't. The wccftech article misquoted him so i don't blame you for misunderstanding what he was saying but I'm afraid you might be getting banned for this. People are asking for your head.

I think the i/o in the ps5 is designed to complement the ssd in a way that we might see more glaring differences but i guess that remains to be seen.

I don't know if the Spiderman demo can be done on the Xbox series x, but that thing was definitely doing more than just loading 5.5 gbps of data every second.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
How about you quote what i actually said and you will realise I did not say at all what you just typed.

I am calling this complete and utter bullshit. I clearly never said anything of the sort and have made Videos in the topic about how the SSD enables game design.

It is unbelievable the lengths people are going to try and attack you. You've shown far more restraint in your responses to them than I ever could have. The PS5 and Series X look like awesome pieces of technology and instead of things getting better here it's devolved further and further with constant attacks on industry people who visit the site.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
You are missing some information like for example you need another box that represents actual real world numbers. We know that all of MS numbers are guaranteed sustained, while all of Sony numbers are all peak. So it doesn't truly represent what capability devs have to work with.
The SSD numbers are not sustained in PS5? First time I've heard that one.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Antagonizing. History of similar behavior.

To be fair, I'd imagine that is the implication many may have taken from your posts, especially given what you were responding to. But it's possible there's a bit of crossed wires with respect to communication or takeaway.

"people saying things about the ssd enabling entirely different looking open world games does not make much sense"

"which is the exact opposite methodolgy of how modern open world games increase their detail and variety"

"I would think the ssd would not help open world games like you imagine, rather corridor games"

Dictator said:
nib95 said:
I think you mean they can work really well on both storage systems, not equally well, because there's nothing equal about a 100%+ difference in storage speed. In reality the IO throughput advantage means if designed around it, the PS5 game could stream a greater density of assets and higher quality assets in any one scene or field of view, especially important if moving at a high velocity. Not to mention reduce pop in and loading times.
I typed this else where, but people saying things about the ssd enabling entirely different looking open world games does not make much sense based upon what we know about open world dev really. All data pulled from ssd would be static data, completely unmutable. That would mean perfectly predesigned Level data and arrangements, which is the exact opposite methodolgy of how modern open world games increase their detail and variety - which is infact through prcedural method not living on the disk (hdd/ssd).
Procedural methods exist to increase the efficiency of artists and diversity of the game World and even increase detail beyond static draws. If you are pulling things from an ssd to do that kind of detail, that means artists spent their time making it.. Which seems pretty antithetical to efficient dev.

I would think the ssd would not help open world games like you imagine, rather corridor games where a dev spend the time to Design every nut and bolt in a static fashion that is drawn from disc into memory. But not even geo as I have never recently Heard of a dev running out of memory for Model data. I guess completely unique textures (if the dev is not using sharable/procesural/Tiling textures for some reason) or rather static light maps that are very dense (so static and completely unique textures). That is, if that dev for some reason wants to forsake more modern Procedural Design or dynamic scene elements).

Basically, if a dev is designing around an ssd in the manner like you describe, that means that all their detail must already exist In a big Form on disc, which sounds like a lot of wasted dev time and disc space to me when modern Procedural solutions save time, disc space, and probably increase the dynamism and accuracy. A good example is massively detail ed GI light map textures vs actually prcedural dynamic RT GI

Dictator said:
No - I just think the idea of having everything on the disk for a big world, and all the artist time that would mean and disk space it would mean seems anti thetical to open world design. Rather, it sounds like something a dev would want for a smaller game environement where there are resources and time to have everything be bespoke (perhaps).

IDK, ballooning budgets and artist time by putting more on disk instead of creating ways to increase diversity in a more procedural way seems like something that I think most people could understand.

Like, would you really prefer lots of really dense baked lighting taking up 200 GB of disk space (think AC unity here) or would you prefer a dynamic solution taking up next to none?

By the way, NXGamer responded to you. Not sure if you caught his post.

I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle, having a vast pool with a much wider pipe to the RAM means that devs and more so artists can ramp up the options within density, detail, materials and worlds. The SSD here gives them a much bigger scope and enables a more streamlined approach to procedural placement, not textured surfaces or MIP chains. Teams use procedural creation to reduce the build and layout time, here they can expand the variety within the Frustum, the variety of NPC models, clothes even enemies within RAM which will reduce the amount of times you see Zombie A in Resident Evil or the face of Shopkeep B in Skyrim 15.

This is the options that SSD and the core design of the process delivers but also a great deal more besides this, something like Legacy of Kain warping of vertices for example could now be an entire transportation of everything within your view and world within a couple of frames, data is still key and will still need to be authored on the Disc and SSD, the option now is how much the devs want to cram into the Frustum and 3D space is no longer limited "directly" by the {Ram / FPS / objects / Stream speed} = Maximum density of game frames. The BIG gain in development time is no longer having to go back through streaming chain and LOD system creating artifical walls to manage this, sector points to initiate seek, or just reduce LOD and MIP bias at a per segment basis to meet target rates and performance.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

That post happened two minutes before you replied. You have to give the staff time to work. I understand there are frustrations with dealing with fanboys and people that misrepresent you, but generalizations also don't help. If you're frustrated, report and disengage for the time being, you can always come back to a conversation. If you have a problem with moderation, then the mod captains are here to listen and talk to you.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
GitHub didn't tell a new story, for that matter. We already had information indicating those CU counts and clock speeds from the Komachi and APISAK tweets. We had Gonzalo and Flute benchmarks outside of what GitHub had. You didn't need GitHub to come to those conclusions.

Moreover, between all of the leaks, claimed insiders and fantastical specs, absolutely 0 people claimed a clock as high as 2.23 GHz. That should be sobering to anyone who thinks they had the complete story going in.

GitHub became a flashpoint for both sides. On one extreme, you had a minority saying it had 0 relevance. On the other extreme, you had others crying vindication that it was 100% accurate when that was demonstrably false (and the other extreme was delusional). Now we've progressed to both sides pretending that the extremists on the other side are representative of the whole population. It's disingenuous and both sides and frankly tiring. Move on.
you are guessing wrong. try guessing senior citizens, you'd be far closer.

you do realize github was only right about the 36 cu count. they were off on the gpu clocks. the ram bandwidth. hardware rt and vrs. and the gonzalo and flute apus tied to the github leaks were also off on the cpu clocks. no ever ever denied that it wasnt credible. we all maintained till the very end that it was outdated.

i do love how klee is dismissed because he got one thing wrong. that ps5 had more tflops. but he was the first one to say that both consoles were over 10 tflops and more powerful than the 2019 navi cards. so he was right on 2 out of 3 things. github was right on 1 out 5. 20% accuracy vs 66% accuracy.
This so much.

It's absolutely mind boggling, lol.

And about the 2Ghz number, most if not all agreed that made sense after PS5 was said to be on RDNA 2 also, not before that.

And not many thought it was gonna be over 2Ghz. I remember ppl speculating more cu's at 2Ghz to get it to 11tf-13tf.

So much revisionist history these last few pages its laughable.

Is it ironic that it's from ppl on my ignore list...

AegonSnake, no matter how much you go in on Cerny or Sony, the PS5 you never made my ignore list.

Contrary to what some think, some ppl do use the ignore function for fanboys, disingenuous, and bad faith posters. Not because you said my preferred console smells like poo poo pee pee.

Last edited:

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
If you have a source for real world numbers, I'm all ears. The simple fact is we don't have them. What we do have is the assertion that these should represent the reality "most" of the time, and that any decreases are on the order of "a couple percent." That rolls up under my statement calling out that real world performance is a different story, and one that has yet to be written, because neither GHz nor TF are trivially correlated with performance on their own.

As always, if you want an accurate picture of what the consoles can do you should wait to see what games look like when they're finally revealed, running on final hardware.

I know you're a knowledgeable person, so I have some questions about the frequencies (you don't need to answer, I just thought as an opportunity to clear some of my doubts).

From the speculation thread I got some "understanding" about how clock speed "works".
  • I believe frequencies on PC parts always vary based on the workload, so if I buy an card with X GHz it may be operating at Y GHz when the power isn't needed, but X GHz it's the frequency cap. I know people do overclock and stuff, but I don't think the computer will do that automatically. Is my understanding correct?
  • With regards to consoles, I believed that the CPU/GPU would operate this same way. The clock varies with the workload. So the frequencies shown in speec sheets would be the cap, the maximum achievable from the chip. Do consoles work this way or they really have the frequency always at maximum?
  • From Cerny's talk, I did some associations between workload, clock speed and power consumed. What I understood was bigger workloads push the chip into higher clocks and both aspects draw more power. This way, when the workload would draw much power, the console would downclock about a couple percent to mantain the consumed power constant, making the cooling more deterministic. Is that correct?
  • So when I made those associations, supposing they are correct (I'm not a knowledgeable person), I thought that only the worst case scenario would drop the PS5's frequency cap. The game would have a big workload, would require the maximum clock speed but the keep the power constant, the maximum clock speed would be lower. Did I understand everything wrong?
From this I thought that the PS5 would have that 10.3 TF peak almost all the time unless all next gen games have big workloads, but maybe I got all of this wrong. I really don't know.

Those are my questions, I know it's a lot but you don't need to answer them. I've been wanting to talk about the consoles specs with my friends but I don't think I have enough understanding on the matter. Thank you either way.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

... sigh..

I really fucking hate this place sometimes.

I know the feeling. Kind of ironic given DF actually covered what huge implications SSDs can have existing PC games already when covering Star Citizen.

Anyway, any large congregation will have its share of problematic members.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Can people possibly hold off on being shits until AFTER Transistor does avatar punishments? It's scary enough already, I don't want him to be in an actual bad mood. It was supposed to be fun, not frightening. Lol

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can people possibly hold off on being shits until AFTER Transistor does avatar punishments? It's scary enough already, I don't want him to be in an actual bad mood. It was supposed to be fun, not frightening. Lol

What is this avatar punishment stuff about? Was there some sort of prediction bet?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
That post happened two minutes before you replied. You have to give the staff time to work. I understand there are frustrations with dealing with fanboys and people that misrepresent you, but generalizations also don't help. If you're frustrated, report and disengage for the time being, you can always come back to a conversation. If you have a problem with moderation, then the mod captains are here to listen and talk to you.
Thanks for the reply and all that. I will be disenganging as per your recommendation and consider in general what and how to engage in the future.

Excuse my generalisations then about modding attention, please! Sorry for that.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.