• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Is this coordinated or why are so many xbox fans suddenly popping into this thread right now?
Did we get some juicy new info?
I think this is a bit hyperbolic. Remember this is a highly viewed thread and lots of posters regularly check it but do not post.

More likely users are reacting to SPDIF's post and are taking the opportunity to let out some frustrations from what they (rightly or wrongly) view as poor treatment during the whole Github period. I didn't participate in the whole drama but regularly viewed, and yes, there was some overly passive aggressive attempts to shut down all references to it.

It is a bit persecutionist to read anymore into it than that.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
So you have a conspiracy theory that Xbox fans are coordinating their posts on resetera to defend the Xbox. This is pretty out there and kinda disgusting
I mean you are a xbox fan and kinda hate anything playstation related so enlighten me why you decided to come in here right now?
Im just perplexed of the sudden surge.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
i think there are two possibilities. either the ps5 chip got downgraded or this ssd and i/o stuff is the real deal and the ps5 is actually a monster because of all the crazy shit cerny has put in the i/o block to complement its SSD.
The third one can be simply more advanced API at that time. Jason told that devs were very happy with SONY and not so much with MS. MS seemed to have been a little late in dev kit department. And Klee is supposed to report from a third party dev.
Only time will tell when first NG only third party game will released. And that is probably not before late 2021.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly though ?
Yeah some people here are crazy and should take a deep breath. When PS5 specs got unveiled, we got a bunch of people here getting mad and upset, quoting jason schreier, Matt and Klee to call them liars or fake. Heck, there's even someone in those threads using Klee's avatar with the words "FAKE" because they got carried away with their fanboy fantasies.

And there's people litterally going full console warring with other publications. There are people accusing DF of receiving checks and having conflicts of interests, trying to get a "gotcha" moments with the few ones that post here because they didn't proclaim the PS5 or SX is the second coming.

It's not just PS fans in this thread, but sheeesh, those console reveals dropped the level of discussions and the average IQ straight to the ground, if not under.
you do realize the klee avatar was forced on Doctor Avatar by certain users who had a grudge against klee. its bizarre because klee did get a couple of things right about both consoles being double digit and more powerful than amd's Navi 10 cards. and yet, he was forced to wear the avatar anyway because the ps5 didnt come out on top of the tflops war. i think its despicable and ironic considering how doctor avatar was just banned for harassing a user who doesnt post here anymore and yet its ok for him to be forced to wear an avatar that calls another member fake.

there is always going to be some denial, but this guy is calling cerny a liar. imagine if jason did that. or klee. are we not allowed to call him out? dictator recently left and this thread and several of its posters were blamed for it because we asked him to reply to an actual dev saying he doesnt know what hes talking about. we didnt say dictator was lying or was clueless or anything of that sort. we simply asked for some clarification and apparently that now constitutes as harassment.

this is a false equivalency. no one ever got banned for harassing klee on a daily basis. in fact, i was warned for making fun of a random twitter user. i would love to see who in this thread or the three other Sony focused threads has accused DF of receiving checks because that kind of shit does not belong here. please link it so i can report myself.

but until we start writing poems about dictator and brad, i dont think this thread is as bad as we had before the spec reveal.

p.s everytime i post something negative about the ps5, i get quoted to oblivion so i know what its like, but i wouldnt say its console warring, or that the discussion has gone off the rails. we still talk and can say our peace without resorting to harassment.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I think this is a bit hyperbolic. Remember this is a highly viewed thread and lots of posters regularly check it but do not post.

More likely users are reacting to SPDIF's post and are taking the opportunity to let out some frustrations from what they (rightly or wrongly) view as poor treatment during the whole Github period. I didn't participate in the whole drama but regularly viewed, and yes, there was some overly passive aggressive attempts to shut down all references to it.

It is a bit persecutionist to read anymore into it than that.
I honestly dont get it. Im not interested in xbox stuff and dont go out of my way to constantly monitor those threads.

Oct 27, 2017
GitHub didn't tell a new story, for that matter. We already had information indicating those CU counts and clock speeds from the Komachi and APISAK tweets. We had Gonzalo and Flute benchmarks outside of what GitHub had. You didn't need GitHub to come to those conclusions.

Moreover, between all of the leaks, claimed insiders and fantastical specs, absolutely 0 people claimed a clock as high as 2.23 GHz. That should be sobering to anyone who thinks they had the complete story going in.

GitHub became a flashpoint for both sides. On one extreme, you had a minority saying it had 0 relevance. On the other extreme, you had others crying vindication that it was 100% accurate when that was demonstrably false (and the other extreme was delusional). Now we've progressed to both sides pretending that the extremists on the other side are representative of the whole population. It's disingenuous and both sides and frankly tiring. Move on.
Accurate. 36 CUs turned out to be right, but it was out of context. The steppings through E0 should have told us they were going even higher with the clock but no one really had any idea. I was mulling it as a possibility but everyone said it would be completely out of the question. So, I figured it probably was out of the question.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Accurate. 36 CUs turned out to be right, but it was out of context. The steppings through E0 should have told us they were going even higher with the clock but no one really had any idea. I was mulling it as a possibility but everyone said it would be completely out of the question. So, I figured it probably was out of the question.
And people were saying all along that higher clocks were impractical because of power and timing limits. Cerny addressed the impact of both in his talk.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Yes, GitHub didn't tell the full story. But it was the most tangible, real piece of evidence of how next-gen was looking that we ever got. And yet, because it wasn't as favourable to a certain console, you had a lot posters (some of whom are in this thread in fact) trying to discredit it at every turn. And no, I'm not talking about the people who just said it wasn't representative of the final hardware. I'm talking about the people that vehemently tried to deny that it had any relevancy whatsoever. It got to the point where if you dared to bring it up you were quickly shutdown. One mod went as far to threaten to ban people who brought it up. Another mockingly used it as a joke answer in one of the many polls.

But what was allowed and encouraged instead? Random insiders, who couldn't even prove they had access to next-gen specs, apparently. You dared to try and doubt someone like Kleegamefan and you better watch out. The guy that, at best, turned out to be massively misinformed; and at worst, turned out to be a pretty blatant liar, was apparently more believable than actual, real leaked numbers. Because no, he didn't just say they're both going to be double-digits. He claimed the PS5 was going to be even higher than XSX's 12TF. But at least he was an actual "verified" poster on this site. What was even worse were people completely refusing to believe GitHub had any relevancy, and instead desperately clinging to the likes of "Tommy Fisher", OsirisBlack and the 13TF+ rumours back at NeoGAF. One of whom has just recently got banned in this thread actually.

So yeah. Sorry, I know this is completely OT and a bit ranty, but as someone who was a part of the next-gen threads from the beginning, it's a little frustrating to see some of the posters who were there just slinking back into the background in threads like these, hoping that their crazy, and quite frankly in some cases, fanboyish behaviour, is quickly forgotten about.

This be the truth

Jan 16, 2019
I'm primarily an Xbox gamer (exclusives/multiplats) mainly because I'm in deep with the achievements and Halo multiplayer.

very excited for both consoles and will get both. I have a PS4 slim and am excited that PS5 will have back compat as I haven't finished all the PS4 exclusives I've wanted to play.

im really hoping the price of the consoles stays at or below $499 at launch

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
IGN must be spreading FUD too (12:30) the Dev even days Cerny pulled a fast one with the numbers. DF spreading FUD by saying it's either or both GPU and CPU can't be at max at the same time...man lots professional journalists spreading FUD apparently.

In the quote he provided, the developer states that they don't know and that they were going off the github leak.
Destin Legarie follows it up saying that "MS absolutely blows the PS5 out of the water", when you couldn't even say that about the PS4/XB1. These "journalists" honestly will never hold themselves accountable, even these years later they're still proving that they should just keep their mouths shut instead of commentating on things they have next to no interest in getting to the bottom of themselves. I'm sure if they actually reached out to a "developer" they would also find out that the difference between these consoles is smaller than it's ever been, and the biggest percentage difference is in the SSD, with a 120% gain, vs around 15% in other categories. IGN… reach out to actual developers working on games for both machines before you "inform" your impressionable audience on things that serve to exacerbate the console war narrative that you claim is "inevitable".

Brad followed it with this tweet...

great journalism.....lmfao

I said this before… what the absolute hell is going on with Xbox/MS proponents in misrepresenting the state of affairs, and the specification of both consoles? I don't remember the FUD brigade being this lopsided.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
its curious what happened here. did the ps5 get a downgrade after e3? we know they changed the ram. did they also ditch a bigger apu?

i kinda feel bad for klee because one of the first things he leaked was that both consoles are more powerful than the 5700xt and are double digits in tflops. he was a 100% right on that. a couple of months later, he said the ps5 was more powerful and that came back to bite him. he wasnt the only one like you suggested. osiris got screwed by his sources too. were all devs lying about the ps5? i find that highly unlikely. its not like klee, andrew and colin are vague and nameless forum insiders who were trying to become forum celebrities. they had no reason to lie really.

i think there are two possibilities. either the ps5 chip got downgraded or this ssd and i/o stuff is the real deal and the ps5 is actually a monster because of all the crazy shit cerny has put in the i/o block to complement its SSD.
or third option klee was fake insider and wrote his staff from... :-)

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
And people were saying all along that higher clocks were impractical because of power and timing limits. Cerny addressed the impact of both in his talk.
The deterministic variable frequency and continuous boost enables clocks much higher than thought possible (definitely much higher than what would be possible in the traditional fixed frequency paradigm). No one saw that coming.
We sort of expected the PS5 SSD to be brilliant with all their talks even though the number turned out pretty insane at 8-9GBps.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Github was proven to be 100% accurate and Sony worked hard on upclocking through variability thus all the stepping revisions. So many in that thread were happy to praise the "death" of github over and over, including yourself. What insiders were there that said "github is right, it's 36 cu's but Sony is going with extremely high clocks through variability to overcome their lack of CU's to try and get extra power out of the chip" that were driven out?

No it wasn't. Even mods on this forum have stated it wasn't accurate. Perhaps it was once upon a time in an early version, but not as the PS5 is presently. Eg regarding the entire architecture of the GPU (Github had it as RDNA1) nor the clockspeeds.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Why do people feel vindicated by Github? It wasn't 100% correct just like Klee wasn't 100% so in my view they both should be dismissed. Now they are upset that PS5 is a 10TF console? WTF is going on in this thread and the gaming community..Im sorry but to me it definitely feels like a coordinated effort to downplay PS5 as much as possible from Tom Warren, Brad Sams, Unlocked podcast....smh what's the point? The series x is going to be a great console so why continuously downplay the competition? So what happens when we finally see games and both are on par like numerous devs have already said they will be? It's pretty sad to have this much energy downplaying a toy

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of my last guesses before Cerney gave the talk:

My guess (again): 54 CUs (3 SEs with 18 active CUs each) clocked at 1.8 Ghz = 12.44 TFs.

Disable a single SE and 36 CUs are active for hardware-based bc mode.

Slightly narrower & slightly higher clocked than XSX.

If it is 36 CUs clocked at 2+ Ghz, they will sell it for $50.00 to $100.00 cheaper than the XSX.

www.resetera.com

PS5 Speculation |OT12| - Aw hell, Transistor's running this again?

My guess (again): 54 CUs (3 SEs with 18 active CUs each) clocked at 1.8 Ghz = 12.44 TFs. Disable a single SE and 36 CUs are active for hardware-based bc mode. Slightly narrower & slightly higher clocked than XSX. If it is 36 CUs clocked at 2+ Ghz, they will sell it for $50.00 to $100.00...

Funny enough, my other guess for the setup of the PS5 GPU actually wound up being close to what the XSX GPU setup was in terms of active CUs and clock.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Github was proven to be 100% accurate and Sony worked hard on upclocking through variability thus all the stepping revisions. So many in that thread were happy to praise the "death" of github over and over, including yourself. What insiders were there that said "github is right, it's 36 cu's but Sony is going with extremely high clocks through variability to overcome their lack of CU's to try and get extra power out of the chip" that were driven out?
The 36 cu was right on the money. I predicted that Sony would mess with the clocks to get away from that 9.2 TF number. But I remember there were multiple people wanting folks to be banned for even mentioning github at all. Pretty gross.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IGN must be spreading FUD too (12:30) the Dev even days Cerny pulled a fast one with the numbers. DF spreading FUD by saying it's either or both GPU and CPU can't be at max at the same time...man lots professional journalists spreading FUD apparently.

100% accurate OT7-12 was a wild ride

This quote from the software developer is talking about Github. He literally says that he doesn't know what the sustained frequency clocks are on the PS5, and is merely guessing based on Github. My guess is the person Ryan spoke to is a Microsoft developer (Ryan is an Xbox guy) since a multi platform developer would know the details of the PS5's clocks as matter of fact, and wouldn't have to rely on the Github rumours which we know aren't accurate.

So actually, yes, the link you posted is near enough the equivalent of FUD.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Well if there were "in check". Whats problem then?

...nothing? It was someone else who claimed there was a sudden influx of Xbox people in this thread, and then postulated that it was probably because of disappointment or whatever with that game "reveal". To which someone else said their expectations should have been in check. To which I said there's no actual evidence this wasn't the case all along.

Which brought us here.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Presuming there's any value in the exercise, I drafted one that's actually to scale. The area of the squares below represents the published specifications as reflected in text on each box, with all the usual caveats about how these aren't guaranteed to reflect real-world performance. Since the silly exercise got started, though, it might as well be carried through. Series X in blue as the normalized reference, and PS5 in green to demonstrate visually how large / small these differences really are:

edJ4khl.png

Of course a corresponding chart could be drawn up in which the PS5 figures are the normalized reference, but I didn't want to feed the perception that box size represents some form of balance. After all, there's no meaningful attempt to visually scale GPU vs. CPU vs. SSD, this is just about CPU vs. CPU, GPU vs. GPU, and SSD vs. SSD.
Thanks for posting this. It really gives you a factual contrast to the statement made in the Unlocked podcast that that XSX specs "blows PS5's out of the water."

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
i kinda feel bad for klee because one of the first things he leaked was that both consoles are more powerful than the 5700xt and are double digits in tflops. he was a 100% right on that. a couple of months later, he said the ps5 was more powerful and that came back to bite him. he wasnt the only one like you suggested. osiris got screwed by his sources too. were all devs lying about the ps5? i find that highly unlikely. its not like klee, andrew and colin are vague and nameless forum insiders who were trying to become forum celebrities. they had no reason to lie really.

Klee also said that when asked about the PS5's SSD his developer friend became "visibly nervous". That's probably due to NDAs but it's clear why they'd have a reason to be given that it was Sony's ace for the PS5 and speed being something I believe they're going to be basing their entire PS5 marketing campaign around.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Certain people on this forum do not care where the information comes from, just that it confirms their own biases and/or hopes. That needs to change. Every time we get new information, whether it's in conflict with current information or not, it needs to be incorporated into one's informed opinion. We should continue to be skeptical and not rely on journalists like Brad Sams, who clearly have an agenda. So when they present new information, it should be incorporated in with extreme skepticism. Not used as a cludge to 'win' arguments. We're all in these threads because we have an interest in what the new standard for console gaming is going to be. These constant zero sum game arguments are so goddamn tiring.

Honestly though ?
Yeah some people here are crazy and should take a deep breath. When PS5 specs got unveiled, we got a bunch of people here getting mad and upset, quoting jason schreier, Matt and Klee to call them liars or fake. Heck, there's even someone in those threads using Klee's avatar with the words "FAKE" because they got carried away with their fanboy fantasies.

And there's people litterally going full console warring with other publications. There are people accusing DF of receiving checks and having conflicts of interests, trying to get a "gotcha" moments with the few ones that post here because they didn't proclaim the PS5 or SX is the second coming.

It's not just PS fans in this thread, but sheeesh, those console reveals dropped the level of discussions and the average IQ straight to the ground, if not under.

There is always going to be a conflict of interest with journalism when it comes to covering corporations, because getting information can sometimes be based on how your coverage is. That being said, there's no reason for people to doubt DF, they've proven over and over again that they are simply about presenting performance numbers in the easiest way for even non technical video game fans to consume.

If I'm going to be totally honest, I think the corporate cheerleading on here is pretty damn gross. Whenever there's news from a certain manufacturer I can safely predict a set of about five people that are going to be the first to post it; in the same way on EtcetEra if there is news about Canada I can safely predict a certain "Detective" posting it.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
...nothing? It was someone else who claimed there was a sudden influx of Xbox people in this thread, and then postulated that it was probably because of disappointment or whatever with that game "reveal". To which someone else said their expectations should have been in check. To which I said there's no actual evidence this wasn't the case all along.

Which brought us here.
lol the first poster was me, dude. We have already moved on from that dolphin game.
But since there is no problems, its all good.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I swear alot of people just see this PS5 discussion as an opportunity to try and get revenge for all of the jokes made about the XB1 at the beginning of this gen.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for posting this. It really gives you a factual contrast to the statement made in the Unlocked podcast that that XSX specs "blows PS5's out of the water."

The funny thing about that podcast is that some of the same people in it who are now trumpeting the XSX's 18% GPU advantage over the PS5, were the same ones downplaying the PS4's 40% GPU advantage over the Xbox One, not to mention the benefits of a higher resolution.

You may remember this little nugget lol.

2811890-1541165371-IGN.g.gif

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Destin Legarie follows it up saying that "MS absolutely blows the PS5 out of the water", when you couldn't even say that about the PS4/XB1. These "journalists" honestly will never hold themselves accountable, even these years later they're still proving that they should just keep their mouths shut instead of commentating on things they have next to no interest in getting to the bottom of themselves. I'm sure if they actually reached out to a "developer" they would also find out that the difference between these consoles is smaller than it's ever been, and the biggest percentage difference is in the SSD, with a 120% gain, vs around 15% in other categories. IGN… reach out to actual developers working on games for both machines before you "inform" your impressionable audience on things that serve to exacerbate the console war narrative that you claim is "inevitable".

I said this before… what the absolute hell is going on with Xbox/MS proponents in misrepresenting the state of affairs, and the specification of both consoles? I don't remember the FUD brigade being this lopsided.
This.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Any guesses as to when we might see more? The reception to the "Road to PS5" video must've somewhat shocked Sony.
A full hour, and yet, the dislike ratio is insane... 😅

I hope they start showing more sooner, rather than later. I want to see that cooling solution!

Schreier already confirmed they'll have exclusives at launch, so... C'mon Sony!

giphy.gif

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
its curious what happened here. did the ps5 get a downgrade after e3? we know they changed the ram. did they also ditch a bigger apu?

I feel bad for Klee because he's an enthusiast just like the rest of us who tried to give what he knew and keep the discussion interesting, but then a certain part of the community treated him like dogshit anyway.

Things DO change behind the scenes after people learn about them. People's memories aren't perfect. Details are lost when passed along. But some people, mostly immature children, I'm guessing, can't seem to fathom any of that and jump straight to "this person lied to me and now I can feel my prepubescent rage driving me to Twitter." Shit is depressing when the topic as a whole should be nothing but excitement, especially after all that we know about both systems.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
The funny thing about that podcast is that some of the same people in it who are now trumpeting the XSX's 18% GPU advantage over the PS5, were the same ones downplaying the PS4's 40% GPU advantage over the Xbox One, not to mention the benefits of a higher resolution.

Lol, I wish they would do the same sketch but with the new systems. Wonder how big the TVs would be this time.
Also Marty on the left just looking and then "Ohhh suck it", lol.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020

I stopped listening to this podcast a while back because of this kind of thing, they say so much utter nonsense that I couldn't stomach anymore.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Any guesses as to when we might see more? The reception to the "Road to PS5" video must've somewhat shocked Sony.
A full hour, and yet, the dislike ratio is insane... 😅

I hope they start showing more sooner, rather than later. I want to see that cooling solution!

Schreier already confirmed they'll have exclusives at launch, so... C'mon Sony!

giphy.gif
Shortly after the Ghost of Tsushima release at the latest I would say. The corono virus is playing a big role as well.

But Sony has been pretty unpredictable so it could be at any time really.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

It's not exclusively a MS thing. When your livelihood is making content for an amorphous blob with set preferences you are going to make that content. Sony stans are our here just as much as MS ones.

welcome to the internet Information Age where facts don't matter it's about the pigeon hole you create for yourself

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Console warring, antagonizing other users
I swear alot of people just see this PS5 discussion as an opportunity to try and get revenge for all of the jokes made about the XB1 at the beginning of this gen.
It has been Hell on Earth for many ever since the TV, TV, TV Xbox One reveal event. You're seeing 7 years of frustration and bitterness finally getting released.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Presuming there's any value in the exercise, I drafted one that's actually to scale. The area of the squares below represents the published specifications as reflected in text on each box, with all the usual caveats about how these aren't guaranteed to reflect real-world performance. Since the silly exercise got started, though, it might as well be carried through. Series X in green as the normalized reference, and PS5 in blue to demonstrate visually how large / small these differences really are:

edJ4khl.png

Of course a corresponding chart could be drawn up in which the PS5 figures are the normalized reference, but I didn't want to feed the perception that box size represents some form of balance. After all, there's no meaningful attempt to visually scale GPU vs. CPU vs. SSD, this is just about CPU vs. CPU, GPU vs. GPU, and SSD vs. SSD.
You are missing some information like for example you need another box that represents actual real world numbers. We know that all of MS numbers are guaranteed sustained, while all of Sony numbers are all peak. So it doesn't truly represent what capability devs have to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.