• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The notion that the PS5 will down clock all the way to the point that it is a 9.2 TF machine is pure fantasy based solely on the GitHub leak. There is no reason to believe the PS5 would throttle that severely. Even after getting official specs from the horse's mouth, certain people still cling to the GitHub leak for dear life.

Once it became clear that RDNA2 was able to have more efficient power, having a GHZ over 2ghz became more reasonable.

I thought the PS5 would be anywhere from 9-10TF and it ended up being correct

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's the FUD free version of that image

Pb0iK9C.jpg

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Matt has, yet again, hinted at most games being identical, with some catering to the advantages of one or the other (slightly better GPU, twice as fast SSD), which has me really excited for the exclusives on each - I can't wait to see more of both!

Yep with Sony going open world or games being much wider like TLOU2 or GOW i expect them to make that SSD work over time.
Really hype to see what WWS going to do .

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Going to fantasize about the streaming system's potential courtesy of the raw SSD speed that our resident Brad Sams labels, "gospel". Perhaps the following is from the Book of Genesis:

From macro to on foot detail.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
What "most people" who spread a lot FUD were saying was that a "9.2 tflops console" would be a "best case scenario", since maintaining 2.0 GHz GPU frequencies wasn't plausible. The PS5 was supposed to be a "~8 tflops console" at best...

The only thing right about any of the stuff was that both consoles did end up having double digit tflops. Matt was the only one accurately predicting the difference between them (he said about a ~15 % difference) and continously noted how close these consoles are/were, both before and after GitHub.

There's no doubt GitHub got things right, but a lot of things wrong. No RT, no RDNA2, no 2.23 GHz clockspeeds, no 10.28 tflops... It was, aside from the CU counts - still - mostly wrong. Matt is the only one who's been consistent throughout this, even going as far as predicting MS'll have a slight edge in tflops.

My reaction to the variable frequencies on the PS5 was, well... Let's just say, I really doubted Cerny. I'm taking more of a "wait and see"-approach now.

Matt has, yet again, hinted at most games being identical, with some catering to the advantages of one or the other (slightly better GPU, twice as fast SSD), which has me really excited for the exclusives on each - I can't wait to see more of both!

Yeah I pretty much agree with all that you said. I'm really excited about both consoles.

Would it be fair to think of (not in actual performance, but relative difference between the two) the Xbox Series X GPU like standard clocked GTX 1080Ti
and the PS5 like a highly overclocked GTX 1080?

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Brad followed it with this tweet...
great journalism.....lmfao

If the Series X is a Chiron then the PS5 is a McLaren P1 GTR.

For non car guys: Chiron has higher top speed and faster acceleration but the P1 GTR is faster around a track.

Both being extremely fast, but one edging out the other slightly. This is why this bullshit FUD needs to end.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Curious. whats the math on about how many watts would the ps5 need to drop to even hit 9.2? Cerny specifically said "when that worse case game arrives it will run at a lower clock-speed. but not too much lower. to reduce power by 10% it only takes a couple % reduction in frequency, so i would expect any down-clock to be pretty minor" we're talking 2% of 2.23Ghz only brings it down to 2.185Ghz. Im not sure how these journalist are even coming to that (spending any or a significant amount of time at 9.2) conclusion.
Because github.

To go down to 9.2 it would have to run at 2Ghz flat.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, GitHub didn't tell the full story. But it was the most tangible, real piece of evidence of how next-gen was looking that we ever got. And yet, because it wasn't as favourable to a certain console, you had a lot posters (some of whom are in this thread in fact) trying to discredit it at every turn. And no, I'm not talking about the people who just said it wasn't representative of the final hardware. I'm talking about the people that vehemently tried to deny that it had any relevancy whatsoever. It got to the point where if you dared to bring it up you were quickly shutdown. One mod went as far to threaten to ban people who brought it up. Another mockingly used it as a joke answer in one of the many polls.

But what was allowed and encouraged instead? Random insiders, who couldn't even prove they had access to next-gen specs, apparently. You dared to try and doubt someone like Kleegamefan and you better watch out. The guy that, at best, turned out to be massively misinformed; and at worst, turned out to be a pretty blatant liar, was apparently more believable than actual, real leaked numbers. Because no, he didn't just say they're both going to be double-digits. He claimed the PS5 was going to be even higher than XSX's 12TF. But at least he was an actual "verified" poster on this site. What was even worse were people completely refusing to believe GitHub had any relevancy, and instead desperately clinging to the likes of "Tommy Fisher", OsirisBlack and the 13TF+ rumours back at NeoGAF. One of whom has just recently got banned in this thread actually.

So yeah. Sorry, I know this is completely OT and a bit ranty, but as someone who was a part of the next-gen threads from the beginning, it's a little frustrating to see some of the posters who were there just slinking back into the background in threads like these, hoping that their crazy, and quite frankly in some cases, fanboyish behaviour, is quickly forgotten about.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes, GitHub didn't tell the full story. But it was the most tangible, real piece of evidence of how next-gen was looking that we ever got. And yet, because it wasn't as favourable to a certain console, you had a lot posters (some of whom are in this thread in fact) trying to discredit it at every turn. And no, I'm not talking about the people who just said it wasn't representative of the final hardware. I'm talking about the people that vehemently tried to deny that it had any relevancy whatsoever. It got to the point where if you dared to bring it up you were quickly shutdown. One mod went as far to threaten to ban people who brought it up. Another mockingly used it as a joke answer in one of the many polls.

But what was allowed and encouraged instead? Random insiders, who couldn't even prove they had access to next-gen specs, apparently. You dared to try and doubt someone like Kleegamefan and you better watch out. The guy that, at best, turned out to be massively misinformed; and at worst, turned out to be a pretty blatant liar, was apparently more believable than actual, real leaked numbers. Because no, he didn't just say they're both going to be double-digits. He claimed the PS5 was going to be even higher than XSX's 12TF. But at least he was an actual "verified" poster on this site. What was even worse were people completely refusing to believe GitHub had any relevancy, and instead desperately clinging to the likes of "Tommy Fisher", OsirisBlack and the 13TF+ rumours back at NeoGAF. One of whom has just recently got banned in this thread actually.

So yeah. Sorry, I know this is completely OT and a bit ranty, but as someone who was a part of the next-gen threads from the beginning, it's a little frustrating to see some of the posters who were there just slinking back into the background in threads like these, hoping that their crazy, and quite frankly in some cases, fanboyish behaviour, is quickly forgotten about.
giphy.gif

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

Right on the money.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Both consoles are about to launch amidst (or hopefully shortly after) a pretty serious worldwide recession. On one hand, launching cheap would definitely increase first year's sell-through, but would also cause tremendous losses while in a slower economy, attach rate might not be as high as it was in the past few years.
I would say launching at you BOM or very slightly below it would be the best option as hardcore fans will probably buy up the stock anyway, and if sales stall, you can always drop a few dollars.

I'm not seeing a 399 PS5 in 2020, not in the economy that's likely to come.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

spot on.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Maybe a bit too harsh but lots of inconvenient truths, unfortunately.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If the Series X is a Chiron then the PS5 is a McLaren P1 GTR.

For non car guys: Chiron has higher top speed and faster acceleration but the P1 GTR is faster around a track.

Both being extremely fast, but one edging out the other slightly. This is why this bullshit FUD needs to end.

Wait the ps5 is the one edging out in this scenario?

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China

Klee did get one thing right tho, that's to ban himself and never come back.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
IGN must be spreading FUD too (12:30) the Dev even days Cerny pulled a fast one with the numbers. DF spreading FUD by saying it's either or both GPU and CPU can't be at max at the same time...man lots professional journalists spreading FUD apparently.

Lmao. There was no mention of "Dev" and he was speculating like everyone else, no actual experience with the systems. "Software developer" is a broad term and not everyone is qualified to offer anything more then unsubstantiated opinion.

edit: seems like that "software developer" was still hanging on that 9.2TF number from GitHub as well, pretty pathetic.

Last edited:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Here's the FUD free version of that image

Presuming there's any value in the exercise, I drafted one that's actually to scale. The area of the squares below represents the published specifications as reflected in text on each box, with all the usual caveats about how these aren't guaranteed to reflect real-world performance. Since the silly exercise got started, though, it might as well be carried through. Series X in green as the normalized reference, and PS5 in blue to demonstrate visually how large / small these differences really are:

edJ4khl.png

Of course a corresponding chart could be drawn up in which the PS5 figures are the normalized reference, but I didn't want to feed the perception that box size represents some form of balance. After all, there's no meaningful attempt to visually scale GPU vs. CPU vs. SSD, this is just about CPU vs. CPU, GPU vs. GPU, and SSD vs. SSD.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait the ps5 is the one edging out in this scenario?

No, the Chiron has more power for acceleration and top speed (XSX GPU, CPU) but the McLaren P1 GTR is lighter and more aerodynamic which allows it to have faster speed around corners (PS5 SSD). But the difference in power is negligible between the two, and both are extremely fast.

I know it's an odd comparison and probably a bad one, but that's how I imagine it in my head.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
IGN must be spreading FUD too (12:30) the Dev even days Cerny pulled a fast one with the numbers. DF spreading FUD by saying it's either or both GPU and CPU can't be at max at the same time...man lots professional journalists spreading FUD apparently.

I always go to "IGN Unlocked" when I want objective information about new consoles (skip to 3m):

Key222

Dec 11, 2017

100% accurate OT7-12 was a wild ride

In the quote he provided, the developer states that they don't know and that they were going off the github leak.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Brad followed it with this tweet...

great journalism.....lmfao

Shocked he even responded to that fanboy went through that dude's timeline...shudder. Gives jaytech and timdog a run for their money

In the quote he provided, the developer states that they don't know and that they were going off the github leak.

He said they don't know what the sustained are and going off the leak they're far lower On top of that the rest of the quote is accurate from what I've read too from actual engineers.

I want to see what this cooling solution Sony has is and I want to know how they plan on cooling that SSD too or it will throttle like NVMe SSDs do one PC

Last edited:

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Presuming there's any value in the exercise, I drafted one that's actually to scale. The area of the squares below represents the published specifications as reflected in text on each box, with all the usual caveats about how these aren't guaranteed to reflect real-world performance. Since the silly exercise got started, though, it might as well be carried through. Series X in blue as the normalized reference, and PS5 in green to demonstrate visually how large / small these differences really are:

edJ4khl.png

Of course a corresponding chart could be drawn up in which the PS5 figures are the normalized reference, but I didn't want to feed the perception that box size represents some form of balance. After all, there's no meaningful attempt to visually scale GPU vs. CPU vs. SSD, this is just about CPU vs. CPU, GPU vs. GPU, and SSD vs. SSD.

That's a lot better than mine, and more accurate.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
No, the Chiron has more power for acceleration and top speed (XSX GPU, CPU) but the McLaren P1 GTR is lighter and more aerodynamic which allows it to have faster speed around corners (PS5 SSD). But the difference in power is negligible between the two, and both are extremely fast.

I know it's an odd comparison and probably a bad one, but that's how I imagine it in my head.

I don't get this idea that Xbox Isn't agile. It's weird as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.