• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Just saw this tweet by Brad Sams:

Pretty disappointing tbh. First he made up some conspiracy stuff about PS5 actually being 9.2 TFLOPS, and now he is implying that Cerny lied and that the raw SSD speed is actually lower. I always thought that he is one of the more reputable journalists, but he went full tinfoil hat console warrior with this crap. Shame.

That is unfortunate. It would be at least more honest to say that Series X GPU gap with PS5 is much less than the SSD gap.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Era wonders why there are very few actual sources that come onto this site but then will quickly call anyone that isn't agreeing with them or defending their favorite companies honor biased, astroturfing, etc etc.
You're right. We did have quite a few sources who claimed the PS5 was higher than 9.2TF and they got ran off. It's pretty shameful sometimes.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo pay any journalists under the table to run PR for them, and that's a really serious accusation to make (and it's been done repeatedly in this thread).

Nah, they're not being paid, but they're clearly Microsoft orientated.

People should check the editorial history of different people and come to their own conclusions. Sams clearly seems to takes his talking points from Microsoft-friendly circles. Back in 2013 he wrote articles pushing the 'in our best interests' slant on Xbox One DRM, and the then-favoured message of MS' technical marketing, that raw specs aside, the differences between PS4 and XB1 wouldn't be noticeable. So it's a little funny to see him lecturing anyone about taking company spokespeople as gospel. I would go out on a small limb and say most of his thoughts on PS5 are formed from discussions with MS insiders, given that he hitherto - I believe - claimed to know nothing off the record about PS5.

There's no accusation of being paid here. Bias? Sure. And that's fine. And it should be fine for readers to note that. Every big company has their fans in the press. Even Sony has too among the Japanese press more predominantly.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

People should check the editorial history of different people and come to their own conclusions. Sams clearly seems to takes his talking points from Microsoft-friendly circles. Back in 2013 he wrote articles pushing the 'in our best interests' slant on Xbox One DRM, and the then-favoured message of MS' technical marketing, that raw specs aside, the differences between PS4 and XB1 wouldn't be noticeable. So it's a little funny to see him lecturing anyone about taking company spokespeople as gospel. I would go out on a small limb and say most of his thoughts on PS5 are formed from discussions with MS insiders, given that he hitherto - I believe - claimed to know nothing off the record about PS5.

There's no accusation of being paid here. Bias? Sure. And that's fine. And it should be fine to note for readers to note that. Every big company has their fans in the press. Even Sony has too among the Japanese press more predominantly.
There have been multiple accusations of being paid here, and yes most people will have a bias towards where their sources are. Jason Schreier is an excellent reporter with sources closer to Sony so he generally reports on them. That's just how the industry works, you rarely have sources everywhere.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The unfettered attacks on journalist's integrity aren't a good recipe for having any said insiders ever want to visit the site.
Call out specific posts then. Report them.

Calling out for a journalist to clarify their statements is another thing, basically calling Cerny a liar.

9.2 specifically? I just remember people claiming it was more powerful in raw TF than the Series X.
Many said double digit TFs.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
There have been multiple accusations of being paid here, and yes most people will have a bias towards where their sources are. Jason Schreier is an excellent reporter with sources closer to Sony so he generally reports on them. That's just how the industry works, you rarely have sources everywhere.

Sorry, if there has been accusations about under-the-table payments or whatever, then that's very wrong, to be clear.

But noting the obvious bias of sources of info should be entirely fair game IMO. Whether it's Sony or MS or anyone.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
You're right. We did have quite a few sources who claimed the PS5 was higher than 9.2TF and they got ran off. It's pretty shameful sometimes.
Github was proven to be 100% accurate and Sony worked hard on upclocking through variability thus all the stepping revisions. So many in that thread were happy to praise the "death" of github over and over, including yourself. What insiders were there that said "github is right, it's 36 cu's but Sony is going with extremely high clocks through variability to overcome their lack of CU's to try and get extra power out of the chip" that were driven out?

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Sorry, if there has been accusations about under-the-table payments or whatever, then that's very wrong, to be clear.

But noting the obvious bias of sources of info should be entirely fair game IMO. Whether it's Sony or MS or anyone.
Agreed on bias or who tends to lean each way based on who their sources are. That's fair game, but not saying people are inherently corrupt.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

There's no accusation of being paid here. Bias? Sure. And that's fine. And it should be fine for readers to note that. Every big company has their fans in the press. Even Sony has too among the Japanese press more predominantly.

That is what i do .
Looking at someone history give you a good idea what they about and you can go from there.
Hell this not there first or even second console launch for some of these people .

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Github was proven to be 100% accurate and Sony worked hard on upclocking through variability thus all the stepping revisions. So many in that thread were happy to praise the "death" of github over and over, including yourself. What insiders were there that said "github is right, it's 36 cu's but Sony is going with extremely high clocks through variability to overcome their lack of CU's to try and get extra power out of the chip" that were driven out?
"100% accurate" LMAO. Stop pretending that github (and the people claiming it to be the final product) only said "36CUs" and nothing else. And Matt did say that github had PS5 information but that it wasn't illustrative of the final product, so, there.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Well, this journalist is calling Cerny a liar without showing any proof, so obvious peopel are going to call him out.
Sure, wanting clarification on why he so thoroughly believes that the PS5 will generally run its GPU at 9.2 I 100% understand. My issue is with the "fanboy" or "astroturfing" or "running pr for xbox" claims. It's the same bs that was spouted at Jason Schreier on here that he had to come and personally defend after being misquoted.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Sony is going with extremely high clocks through variability to overcome their lack of CU's to try and get extra power out of the chip" that were driven out?

Which insiders said that and were driven out? Should be easy to name them since you have such a vivid memory of it happening.

(Hint, none)

Lot of narrative massaging and FUD going on.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
"100% accurate" LMAO. Stop pretending that github (and the people claiming it to be the final product) only said "36CUs" and nothing else. And Matt did say that github had PS5 information but that it wasn't illustrative of the final product, so, there.
It was an accurate representation of where testing was at the time, which is what most of us thought of. It was never "final silicon", of course not. It was a snapshot of where things were as of last June, and you can extrapolate just how much things can change with a little over a year left before launch. A big part of that was thanks to Albert Penello when he came in and gave insight into how the 4+ year journey on making a new console takes place.

Khnjer

May 31, 2019
It's their job. I remember Microsoft had paid astroturfers on the old site leading up to the launch of the Xbox One.

Honestly MS PR is pretty gross and IMO is detrimental to the Xbox brand.

He is a blatant fanboy that downplays anything that has to do with the PS5.

Weird how he is openly saying ps5 is 9.2tflops, ssd is nothing special and if you call him out you get swarmed by fanboys.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
How many of those sources that ended up leaving were legitimate?
Well, we wouldn't know considering the pitchforks came out pretty early and seasoned journalists were equated with random pastepins, insane twitter accounts and anonymous Verge comments.

If people with technical know-how wanna debate the merits and the downsides of design choices in these consoles, go ahead.
Flatly denying officially released information from the manufacturers without a solid source backing your claims is nothing but conspiracy garbage.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was an accurate representation of where testing was at the time, which is what most of us thought of. It was never "final silicon", of course not. It was a snapshot of where things were as of last June, and you can extrapolate just how much things can change with a little over a year left before launch. A big part of that was thanks to Albert Penello when he came in and gave insight into how the 4+ year journey on making a new console takes place.
Holy revisionism batman.

Jan 20, 2019
Sure, wanting clarification on why he so thoroughly believes that the PS5 will generally run its GPU at 9.2 I 100% understand. My issue is with the "fanboy" or "astroturfing" or "running pr for xbox" claims. It's the same bs that was spouted at Jason Schreier on here that he had to come and personally defend after being misquoted.

You always going to get post like that and he is also claming that Sony SDD speed is false, again, wihtou showing any proff. It is the second time is doing something like this so peopel are going to say stuff like that.

When you do one time, sure, 2 times is a little to much.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Github was not 100% accurate. What people said was it wasn't the full or complete story. Github didn't have VRS or Ray Tracing on PS5 and the wrong amount of CUs for Xbox. What we were told was Github was not final confirmation of anything and the people who said that were right.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Which insiders said that and were driven out? Should be easy to name them since you have such a vivid memory of it happening.

(Hint, none)

Lot of narrative massaging and FUD going on.
You're taking a small part of what I said and going a different direction with it. My point is no "insiders" got it all right and were driven out. Osiris Black was a liar, Klee was either wrong to start or had outdated information, Tommy Fisher was a fraud. Who else was there that was "driven out" that was accurate with what they said and wasn't vague in their generalities? I own every console and like the unique things each platform holder can offer me. I have no "dog" in a fight. I just like video games and it seems over the top console warrior nonsense for how angry threads on this site get at individuals in the games journalism industry.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
You always going to get post like that and he is also claming that Sony SDD speed is false, again, wihtou showing any proff. It is the second time is doing something like this so peopel are going to say stuff like that.

When you do one time, sure, 2 times is a little to much.
Never believe mega corporations on things like this. Both Xbox and Sony are excellent at PR and know what information to say/give to drive up anticipation. I 100% believe the PS5 SSD is an incredible piece of tech, but until it's out there and we get real world numbers I don't take anything they or MS say as gospel when it comes to how final hardware will behave.
Github was not 100% accurate. What people said was it wasn't the full or complete story. Github didn't have VRS or Ray Tracing on PS5 and the wrong amount of CUs for Xbox. What we were told was Github was not final confirmation of anything and the people who said that were right.
It can be assumed with reasonable assurance that the 56 cu's in github is for the devkit which most likely has all 56 active because yields don't matter as much and you want extra performance for a devkit anyways. Of course it wasn't the complete story, and I have never intimated it was. It gave us an idea of what they were testing at the time.
Holy revisionism batman.
What is revisionist about it?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Pretty disappointing tbh. First he made up some conspiracy stuff about PS5 actually being 9.2 TFLOPS, and now he is implying that Cerny lied and that the raw SSD speed is actually lower. I always thought that he is one of the more reputable journalists, but he went full tinfoil hat console warrior with this crap. Shame.

Hmm... I am curious now as how to he thinks Sony "slanted perf stats". Perhaps his sources have told him how PS5's task prioritization between CPU and GPU is handled so that synthetically it appears that GPU can actually reach and stay at 2.23GHz. Well, I reached out to him on Twitter, let's see if he responds.

Wait, what's happening here. Sarcastically feeding a troll?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's weird that MS basically has professional fanboys.

It's not that strange. Microsoft has had an official Most Valuable Professional (MVP) program on and off that was specifically designed to encourage community engagement, and it always attracted people who especially fond of Microsoft technology. Analysts that cover any company wind up being exposed to a lot of very positive ways of looking at things through their connections. It's normal, and as such it's worth being skeptical about the objectivity of anyone with close ties to a company. That's just being a smart consumer.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Also just noticed that he doesn't know the difference between the CPU and GPU clocks on PS5, let alone raw SSD speed performance.

Jan 20, 2019
Never believe mega corporations on things like this. Both Xbox and Sony are excellent at PR and know what information to say/give to drive up anticipation. I 100% believe the PS5 SSD is an incredible piece of tech, but until it's out there and we get real world numbers I don't take anything they or MS say as gospel when it comes to how final hardware will behave.

I mean, when both consoles will be out in 7 months lying about your sdd speed is not a very good ideia.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Github was proven to be 100% accurate

100% accurate? Let's see.

Github data showed no RT, RDNA1, lower clock speed, TFs, etctera. That's an odd definition of 100% accurate that you have.

Furthermore, defending someone who is straight up calling Cerny a liar wrt clock speeds and SSD raw speed is not a good look.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I need to get back to cleaning up the house. Kids being home every day is leading to a much messier home than normal. I hope everyone is doing well during this time of such global upheaval for societal norms. I'm glad that in the end we're going to have an unbelievably exciting next gen coming later this year with 3 companies that are all in great positions to keep or build their momentum moving forward. In the end we're all just consumers for these extremely fun machines and I hope the amount of anger/fighting that happens around them dies down. Once we get to see the awesome games we'll all be playing soon I'm sure we can move towards a more positive outlook because these systems are frigging awesome compared to last gen at launch.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I need to get back to cleaning up the house. Kids being home every day is leading to a much messier home than normal. I hope everyone is doing well during this time of such global upheaval for societal norms. I'm glad that in the end we're going to have an unbelievably exciting next gen coming later this year with 3 companies that are all in great positions to keep or build their momentum moving forward. In the end we're all just consumers for these extremely fun machines and I hope the amount of anger/fighting that happens around them dies down. Once we get to see the awesome games we'll all be playing soon I'm sure we can move towards a more positive outlook because these systems are frigging awesome compared to last gen at launch.

Nice deflection.

You're defending someone claiming that PS5 is 9.2TF and that cerny is lying about the ssd speed under the umbrella of "but journalism".

Is spreading FUD about PS5 because you love Xbox journalism now? Is it something we shouldn't be calling out?

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. Brad is not a paid astroturfer.

He does however make a living covering Microsoft, and at this point I fail to see how anyone can view him as an objective journalist. Those tweets alone are enough to strip him of what little credibility he might have pretended to.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
It can be assumed with reasonable assurance that the 56 cu's in github is for the devkit which most likely has all 56 active because yields don't matter as much and you want extra performance for a devkit anyways. Of course it wasn't the complete story, and I have never intimated it was. It gave us an idea of what they were testing at the time.
You argued that the people who were saying PS5 was higher than 9.2 being chased out were justified because Github was 100% accurate. They were arguing about final specs, not development testing results. You can't then say that you never said Github was not the complete story. You're selectively going back and forth between final product and development testing to suit your argument. You're also building a narrative about clock speeds that you don't know is true. This could have always been the goal.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Antagonizing other members
an" I am wrong" would be way better than what ever this commentary is. lmao.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Is claiming PS5 is 9.2TF and that Cerny is lying about the speed of the SSD journalism now?
Curious. whats the math on about how many watts would the ps5 need to drop to even hit 9.2? Cerny specifically said "when that worse case game arrives it will run at a lower clock-speed. but not too much lower. to reduce power by 10% it only takes a couple % reduction in frequency, so i would expect any down-clock to be pretty minor" we're talking 2% of 2.23Ghz only brings it down to 2.185Ghz. Im not sure how these journalist are even coming to that (spending any or a significant amount of time at 9.2) conclusion.

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
What "most people" who spread a lot FUD were saying was that a "9.2 tflops console" would be a "best case scenario", since maintaining 2.0 GHz GPU frequencies wasn't plausible. The PS5 was supposed to be a "~8 tflops console" at best...

The only thing right about any of the stuff was that both consoles did end up having double digit tflops. Matt was the only one accurately predicting the difference between them (he said about a ~15 % difference) and continously noted how close these consoles are/were, both before and after GitHub.

There's no doubt GitHub got things right, but a lot of things wrong. No RT, no RDNA2, no 2.23 GHz clockspeeds, no 10.28 tflops... It was, aside from the CU counts - still - mostly wrong. Matt is the only one who's been consistent throughout this, even going as far as predicting MS'll have a slight edge in tflops.

My reaction to the variable frequencies on the PS5 was, well... Let's just say, I really doubted Cerny. I'm taking more of a "wait and see"-approach now.

Matt has, yet again, hinted at most games being identical, with some catering to the advantages of one or the other (slightly better GPU, twice as fast SSD), which has me really excited for the exclusives on each - I can't wait to see more of both!

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017

Holy shit. As if his teraflop article wasn't bad enough. It's clear now he's a full-blown fanboy without an ounce of credibility.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The notion that the PS5 will down clock all the way to the point that it is a 9.2 TF machine is pure fantasy based solely on the GitHub leak. There is no reason to believe the PS5 would throttle that severely. Even after getting official specs from the horse's mouth, certain people still cling to the GitHub leak for dear life.

Status
Not open for further replies.