• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 14, 2018
I am cackling at all the console wars bans, mods it might be time to consider longer bans so as to discourage random displays of emotional immaturity.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have you seen the tv speakers?
There's no way to make it sound decent

So use headphones, buy a speaker setup, or get a soundbar? I don't understand your complaint. Just because sound isn't important to you - doesn't mean it isn't important to others. And this isn't about audiophiles.

Also, the idea that letting the sound engineers do their thing means that they sacrificed effort elsewhere is ridiculous.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So we get more heat, more noise, more power consumption for less performance and a faster ssd...all for a back compatibility that is 100 titles tested....sony got completely jumped here.

Really bad choices imo.

Noise seems like it would be dependent on the elegance of their cooling system.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao sheesh it's funny to read alot of these replys with an obvious agenda. Personally I'll buy both cause well why not.
Wat? I'm in day one, just as i was with the ps2, ps3, ps4 and ps4 pro as well as psvr (couldn't afford a ps1 when it came out unfortunately...). Sony has some of the best games ever made. I have no agenda, I'm just sad this "reveal" went over so horrible. Am I supposed to praise sony now? Isn't this the place to speculate and talk about stuff like that?
And yes I will also be in day one for XSX, which will be my main machine apparently since multiplats will probably look better on there.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
My guess regarding the PS5 clock situation:

~80% of the time you get 2.23GHz
~15% of the time you get ~2.18GHz
~5% of time time you get 2-2.17Ghz

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The 2 systems both have a lot of customisation, I think Cerny just spent longer talking about them than Microsoft did (or you haven't seen all of the Xbox coverage perhaps)

They both have custom silicon for handling raytracing, both proprietary systems.

I think both are leveraging RDNA2 hardware there. Not proprietary. AMD said as much about both consoles, & Cerny at least, pointed to it as a RDNA2 feature. I don't think MS gave any indication of something different to the RDNA2 support.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Almost feels like Sony's SSD solution is a trojan horse they will use to start selling their own SSDs to the general market like they did with PS3 and Bluray and PS2 and DVD. At some point someone should have said, "Hey maybe we went too far?"

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Have you seen games to compare?
Any dev will told you TF isn't a key factor. So listen to them.

Even ignoring TF's, the specs represent approx a 20-30% increase, which is approx the difference in TF. It seems like a good indicator to me. Is it the end all be all? No, but its enough to map a rough picture.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Almost feels like Sony's SSD solution is a trojan horse they will use to start selling their own SSDs to the general market like they did with PS3 and Bluray and PS2 and DVD. At some point someone should have said, "Hey maybe we went too far?"

They were pointed about supporting commodity SSDs for expansion, ones that are fast enough at least.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wat? I'm in day one, just as i was with the ps2, ps3, ps4 and ps4 pro as well as psvr (couldn't afford a ps1 when it came out unfortunately...). Sony has some of the best games ever made. I have no agenda, I'm just sad this "reveal" went over so horrible. Am I supposed to praise sony now? Isn't this the place to speculate and talk about stuff like that?
And yes I will also be in day one for XSX, which will be my main machine apparently since multiplats will probably look better on there.
Do you honestly think they raised clock speeds which would make the system a "jet engine" just to catch up a little bit to the series X? You dont have to praise anything just dont act like you know how loud it's going to be because in your opinion they said fuck the acoustics we need to be a little bit faster. See why I think it's funny now?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this pandemonium over a 15% difference lol. Save it for when they announce pricing and game release dates which I'm more interested in at this point.
EDIT: Ignore this. Cerny said it will spend most of its time close to 2.23 ghz.

12.15/9.21 = 31.9%.

Dont fall for the 10.2 tflops number. it will almost never happen. Zen 2 CPU consumes far less power than the gpu. the smaller cut down version of the cpu here consumes as low as 20w. even if by some miracle devs are able to shutdown the entire cpu (Which will never ever happen) the 20w increase will not allow them to hit the 2.23 ghz clockspeed anyway.

its one of those theoretical tflops numbers that the gpu CAN hit but lets face it, it will never hit.

36 CU at 2.0 ghz is what you are getting and thats 9.2 tflops. Expect 30% resolution less than xbox series x games. and then there is RT which according to AMD patents sits in the CUs. i think RT games might have a 50% resolution difference at the end of the day. similar to the 900p vs 1080p resolution this gen.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guess regarding the PS5 clock situation:

~80% of the time you get 2.23GHz
~5% of time time you get 2-2.17Ghz
My guess regarded the PS5 clock situation

~5% of the time you get 2.23GHz
~80% of the time you get 2-2.17GHz

This is fun

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Using the same reasoning, why not just go for the fastest RAM chips available (something that never happens in consoles) and have less of it?

It costs money. Custom designs cost more money especially when there is something additive.
This is not what I said.
I said that the fact it is custom doesn't mean more expensive in term of BOM.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's needlessly complex as MS said earlier this week. A fixed performance level is easier to deal with.

Needlessly complex based on what or who exactly? Sony's answer to this appears to be pretty unique, so until we actually see results or learn more, I think it's far too early to make that sort of assumption.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Literally what? They said you'll be able to use off the shelf SSDs once the market gets there to support it.

MS is the ones that are actually selling proprietary SSDs for their device

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Guys, imagine a game runs 2160p on Xbox Series X and 1800p on PS5. Will the differences in graphics and details be that big in this situation?
Nope it won't be. Average gamer, including myself,doesnt even see a difference between 4k check board rendering vs matice. There was 40% gpu difference and gddr6 vs ddr3 between ps4 and X1 and the graphics and frame rate difference weren't that much different

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think both are leveraging RDNA2 hardware there. Not proprietary. AMD said as much about both consoles, & Cerny at least, pointed to it as a RDNA2 feature. I don't think MS gave any indication of something different to the RDNA2 support.
Microsoft have described the Xbox's support as going further than the "standard" PC offering. But perhaps that is just an advantage of them both being consoles and not PCs, therefore not needing to rely on APIs.

"[Series X] goes even further than the PC standard in offering more power and flexibility to developers," reveals Goossen. "In grand console tradition, we also support direct to the metal programming including support for offline BVH construction and optimisation. With these building blocks, we expect ray tracing to be an area of incredible visuals and great innovation by developers over the course of the console's lifetime."

www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Needlessly complex based on what or who exactly? Sony's answer to this appears to be pretty unique, so until we actually see results or learn more, I think it's far too early to make that sort of assumption.
:) We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Btw, I was firmly in team 12-14TF, this news has been disheartening.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am interested to see what supported drives they list. Assuming they would have to be similar speeds to what the system actually has, since all the benefits of speed would be reduced by having a lesser drive. While not having the same SSD setup as MS, I am sure Sony will have a selection of PS branded SSD options going forward.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, imagine a game runs 2160p on Xbox Series X and 1800p on PS5. Will the differences in graphics and details be that big in this situation?
Based on my experience on PC, there's a noticeable difference but it's not a huge one. 1800p pretty much affords you the same level of detail as 4K but there's a lack of sharpness to the edges.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Unless XSX's BC isn't perfect either and Cerny was just trying to be very technical. Honestly, I wouldn't expect any serious issues with BC on any PS4/Xbox One title in the end.
At the very least I'd expect that XSX won't support KInect, which by itself would mean imperfect backwards compatibility (though...very few would care).

Also is there any benefits to my BC games ?
Cerny did say earlier in the presentation that people with PS4 games could use an external storage, or copy PS4 games to the SSD. Since that appears to be a choice even for people with an external drive, there is presumably some benefit.

At a minimum, people who didn't buy a PS4 Pro should have the benefit of having all the Pro modes/options available in all the games that supported the Pro.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Not sure how this variable frequency clocks will work. MS made a huge commitment to having the same HW performance at all times and I think it's much more clever than performance throtting... I'm sure somewhere somehow this will not be a huge factor, but it is worrying to me in theory.

SSDs speed? Not sure it will be a bottleneck for MS' system, honestly. It's already 50x better than current gen. Will it bottleneck the rest of the system, specially with the super fast ram they have available now? Not sure twice that is gonna make a difference somehow, maybe in some specific cases but i digress. But ok, it was great to hear it made it to the PS5, hopefully some devs will take advantage of it.

What I'm much more concerned tho is with back compat. Not bringing my whole PS4 library with me is unfathomable, period. On one hand we got MS commitment to your whole Xbox library incuding better looking and performing Xb1, Xb360 and XBO games with no need to repurchase them, and on the other we have "almos all of the 100 most played ps4 games", no mention of previous gen, no improvements. Bullshit.

Not even talking about controllers, wheels, headsets, everything that MS alreay promised will be 100% compatible, while Sony (to my knowledge) hasn't. Hopefully it will be adressed soon.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I expect any of the gen 4 NVE's outside the budget ones will do fine.

I think Cerny said, anything that's 7GB/s or more. It has to be faster in that way than the internal SSD because of the channel width in the internal SSD or something.

So, that's a tall order right now. But he said they're evaluating new SSDs as they arrive, and he expects suitable ones to become available toward the end of the year.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
12.15/9.21 = 31.9%.

Dont fall for the 10.2 tflops number. it will almost never happen. Zen 2 CPU consumes far less power than the gpu. the smaller cut down version of the cpu here consumes as low as 20w. even if by some miracle devs are able to shutdown the entire cpu (Which will never ever happen) the 20w increase will not allow them to hit the 2.23 ghz clockspeed anyway.

its one of those theoretical tflops numbers that the gpu CAN hit but lets face it, it will never hit.

36 CU at 2.0 ghz is what you are getting and thats 9.2 tflops. Expect 30% resolution less than xbox series x games. and then there is RT which according to AMD patents sits in the CUs. i think RT games might have a 50% resolution difference at the end of the day. similar to the 900p vs 1080p resolution this gen.
So you are saying Cerny is not telling the truth...hehehe

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still confused by BC.. It surely can't be less than 100 PS4 games...

I think they are really just saying that all the games that are most played are being focused on first.
It does mean that there are a few that don't work right, but it doesn't mean that only 100 games will work.

DrowsyJungle

Oct 25, 2017
12.15/9.21 = 31.9%.

Boost clock numbers was a clever marketing tactic by Sony for sure.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft have described the Xbox's support as going further than the "standard" PC offering. But perhaps that is just an advantage of them both being consoles and not PCs, therefore not needing to rely on APIs.

"[Series X] goes even further than the PC standard in offering more power and flexibility to developers," reveals Goossen. "In grand console tradition, we also support direct to the metal programming including support for offline BVH construction and optimisation. With these building blocks, we expect ray tracing to be an area of incredible visuals and great innovation by developers over the course of the console's lifetime."

www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

Yeah, I would expect it's that - an API tailored specifically to that hardware, as well as the 'standard' DX API. I think the underlying hardware is the same, the RDNA2 hardware.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nope it won't be. Average gamer, including myself,doesnt even see a difference between 4k check board rendering vs matice. There was 40% gpu difference and gddr6 vs ddr3 between ps4 and X1 and the graphics and frame rate difference weren't that much different
Based on my experience on PC, there's a noticeable difference but it's not a huge one. 1800p pretty much affords you the same level of detail as 4K but there's a lack of sharpness to the edges.
Thanks!

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

Arthur Gies on Twitter

“ok what the fuck. @PlayStation, you need to get out in front of this. https://t.co/7OlV00itKu”

I don't know why they have to get out in front of this. They delivered what the more realistic among us had assumed. It has a super fast SSD (like lightning fast really with theoretical kraken boost speeds that match the speed of Switch's RAM) but is otherwise weaker than XBox Series X. The only ones who got sideswiped are those who took Kleegamefan's word as gospel when Tom Warren already offered an explanation that explains why Kleegamefan's source was right from their POV(Microsoft hadn't sent out updated dev kits to everyone) but the source is still wrong objectively.

Sony prioritized I/O to enable them to make games they wanted to make. It's as simple as that. There's nothing wrong with that choice.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
12.15/9.21 = 31.9%.

Not accurate.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Literally what? They said you'll be able to use off the shelf SSDs once the market gets there to support it.

MS is the ones that are actually selling proprietary SSDs for their device
Made by Segate and MS and I can see MS just licensing out the tech for others to make compatible drives.