• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They absolutely won't. Developers will do what they always do and make games around PC and then port to the two consoles. The PS5 is not going to be the focus platform for multiplatform games even if it's a runaway sales juggernaut.
you think? aren't console the base for almost all games because they sell far more? and isn't usually better creating something with the weaker hardware in mind becuase it's more easy to add bells and whistles in more powerfull hardware?

xem

Oct 31, 2017
did any catch anything about boost modes for ps4 games?? am i going to be able to get framerate caps on uncapped ps4 games when running on ps5?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the clarifications.

I say 'do very well' because Sony's open world games are praised endlessly on here, not without reason, so for the average punter like myself I figure 'gamechanger' is proved by the pudding, not the nerdy chefs talking about it 2 years before ;)

Of course, but the standard moves on. Or hopefully will move on. What's good today will hopefully look antiquated in a few years. That would be great!

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Question for more techie people:
Assuming boost isn't implemented most of the time, are we looking at 2160 checkerboard 9.2TF PS5 vs 2160p native on 12TF XSX?
No, the difference in these machines is very small. You might see minor differences in settings but nothing massive like that.

Basically, it's safe to go for the console that has the games you want to play. The difference of performance in these consoles is close enough that it shouldn't make a big difference in third party games.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I agree that the presentation wasn't ideal (even though I love listening to Cerny) but I'll give it to the coronavirus epidemic affecting marketing. What I don't understand is people claiming that Cerny didn't deliver this time or that Sony was complacent this time when it's obvious that there is significant R&D involved.

Oh, I like the man also and I find it all fascinating from the tech involved, is cool stuff and all.

I just can't understand why Sony wen't with this to alienate their core audience, be beaten by Microsoft on numbers and not show anything that really makes their case, like agressive pricing, their hardware operating, games and all.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It will influence level design. For example, in God Of War you have a very detailed area, then to move to the next area you usually need to cross a narrow area to give time for the console to load the next very detailed big area. It seems PS5 SSD speeds will allow the ability to eleminate the need to create these corridor sections. Probably something only 1st party will use.

I think the real question, though, and one that Sony didn't answer is what the 2x speed of PS5 gets you that the XBX SSD speeds don't.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if you wanna call Cerny a liar.
He said that it may go down depending on the workload, so if the CPU needs more, it definitely will clock down.

The numbers are unlimited power consumption. Not with the power limiter they are using.

9.2 may be the true sustained number after all with everything being pushed hard. But gotta wait for more info.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
If there are significant differences between the way games look and run on XSX compared to PS5, you bet your ass people are gonna bring up the specs
Erm what? You seem to forget the countless XBONE vs PS4 game comparison vids? People will still be talking about specs, no matter what. Can't see how you are saying this is smart at all

I was talking about exclusives. They just need a conference with Spiderman 2, Horizon 2, God of War 2(even if some of these are teasers), the rumored Demons Souls remake and god knows what else to have the games as the main talking point.

I do agree with what you say though, multiplatforms will be compared and i'm sure we'll see differences like for the Xbox One X and the Pro...but this time Sony will for sure have the cheapest console and the public cares about that for sure. In a post-corona virus time this is going to play a role (and even if there was no virus tbh).

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is that if they specced the cooling to match the TDP, the degradation over time due to dust + the difference in ambient temperature would mean that different PS5s would have wildly different clocks. In order to keep it predictable (like console design is), you have to have unused redundancy. Otherwise it's exacly the same as GPU boost from AMD/Nvidia and that's not what Sony is marketing. In my opinion a cleaver design if they pull it off.

But the whole point of this design is that they can underclock the hardware if the thermals are getting out of control, yet you're saying they've made the cooling far better than is required so they'll never have to underclock the hardware!

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Having a stronger console while (potentially) being 100$ more expensive is not that surprising.
If they manage to eat the losses and match the price it would be one hell of a surprise but I doubt it.
We'll see. Microsoft isn't going to mess up pricing this gen. Spencer has been very clear on that.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
He said that it may go down depending on the workload, so if the CPU needs more, it definitely will clock down.

The numbers are unlimited power consumption. Not with the power limiter they are using.
True, but at high elasticity. He mentioned a few % drop in MHz leads to 10% reduction in TDP. 2.23GHz is at an extreme end of RDNA2, so the curve is very steep.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Several things.... But the biggest thing is that this "very powerful system" leaves room for a Pro version... And since i only buy one system, unless it dies, a gen. I am going to wait for a Pro version.

It is great that fundamental design changes will happen and i will be able to enjoy it when they release the Pro version and if not i can wait till the system is very cheap. But the improvements and focus that they prioritized is not really exciting for me... I haven't used a 2 speaker system with gaming since the PS1. So why would i be happy with virtual "surround" focus? Those speeds are interesting but it's a recipe for disaster.... Like i said i can wait for the sane Pro version.... I have no clue what they were smoking when designing the PS5.... but i want some :)
I understand waiting for a Pro version, but it also appears you where expecting such version now even though the Series X's specs are in the same ballpark (thus proving that a significantly more powerful console is simply not achievable at this point).

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yup. I really don't know why they decided to focus on such a weird outlier feature that nobody but them will use.
Well this is a bit premature. The Engineers and Cerny are likely smarter than us in hardware design. Maybe there's something to the secret sauce.

it is weird though, as PS4 was pretty straightforward and I was expecting a repeat of that.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm really Disappointed:

- No PS1-3 Backward Compatibility
- Backward Compatibility only for around 100 selected PS4 Games
- 10.3 TF's variable, probably around 9.6-10 TF's average
- No presentation of the final Console Design
No PS5 Game announcement
- No enhancements for PS4 BC Games

The only positive are the loading times, but personally I can wait 10 seconds more until my game is loaded.

This Sony presentation made me realize that Microsoft Engineers are absolutely incredible Wizards.
Nice edit on the PS4 BC lmao.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me it sounded like Cerny was saying the PS5 will be able to maintain its boost clocks the vast majority of the time, with downclocking being a rare event. So, it sounds like the PS5 is a ~10.3 TF machine 90% of the time.

Exactly. Again, read the article and watch the video people.

Too many people talking out of their ass in here.

(and I'm not even comparing the consoles, Series X is a beast. The misinformation and uninformed hot takes just takes away from any meaningful discussion)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
But if they're making a multiplatform game those resources will go to waste because you can't just change the core design concept for a game for one platform. Devs aren't going to make a PS5-specific world design for their multiplatform games - it'll only matter for exclusive titles.

If there were more exclusive games in the world it would make sense, but we're seeing a MARKED contraction in exclusivity in recent years. Third parties aren't going to forego PC/XB releases in favor of making PS5 exclusives.
Exclusive first-party games from third-party studios may be on the rise.

We have no idea what kind of rollout Sony has planned for the upcoming generation, but it's probably going to include lots of exclusive first-party games. Either way, hmmmm decreased (next to zero) loading times by a significant amount as well the potential for innovation in game design across first and third party studios? Sounds good investment to me, in addition to some other impressive aspects of the console design. It's probbaly going to be an amazingly well rounded machine. People are acting like these specs are disappointing without even considering how games are going to look regardless.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that the GPU suddenly dropping in frequency will be that noticeable, since I expect a lot of dynamic res, upscaling etc to use the GPU to make prettier pixels over native 4k, anyway.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
More like PS3 done right. Devs seems to like this design compared to Cell.

I guess we'll see. I really wasn't hoping for another "worst at multiplatform games, best at exclusives" console, especially considering Sony's first party has been pretty consistently irrelevant for me the past three or four years or so.

If they markedly undercut Microsoft on price I'll get a PS5, but if the two machines cost the same I'm just not gonna bother with either one.

Exclusive first-party games from third-party studios may be on the rise.

We have no idea what kind of rollout Sony has planned for the upcoming generation, but it's probably going to include lots of exclusive first-party games. Either way, hmmmm increased loading times by a significant amount as well the potential for innovation in game design across first and third party studios? Sounds good to me, in addition to some other impressive aspects of the console design. People are acting like these specs are disappointing without even considering how games are going to look regardless.

The wind is blowing in the exact opposite direction than that, though. Even SONY is putting their own games on other platforms. The age of third party exclusives seems to be well and truly dead.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What do you guys think is more noticeable for most people: 1-2 seconds loading time verses 5-7 seconds loading time for the same game.
Or 1836p vs 2160p?

What's more noticeable - 1836p vs 2160p, or double the asset resolution on screen? Resolution is more than just in screen space...

I mean, I'm being contrarian here - but limiting the SSD improvement to load time is missing half the picture. Sony did not go to this effort for diminishing returns in upfront load times, it was in recognition of how much games are leaning - or want to lean in- on storage at runtime also.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Yes, I posted that before amidst all of the pessimism.

A reduction 2% frequency gives us:

CPU- ~3.4GHz
GPU- ~2.18 =~10.04TF
Fair enough. Assuming a max of 5% reduction in freq:

CPU: 3.3GHz
GPU: 9.8TF

This is essentially a sub-10TF machine.

As Albert Penello said, don't expect 3.5GHz CPU and 2.23GHz GPU at the same time. When the CPU is a little free, that power will help drive the GPU closer to 2.23GHz.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
But the whole point of this design is that they can underclock the hardware if the thermals are getting out of control, yet you're saying they've made the cooling far better than is required so they'll never have to underclock the hardware!
The point of the design is to maximize the clocks of the CPU and GPU depending on 1) power envelope & 2) their respective loading.
If the cooling was specced exactly according to match the max TDP, there would be variations of clock based on ambient temperature and cooling efficiency (due to dust buildup etc). Only way to eliminate those is to over-spec the cooling (I guess 10-15%) or be very aggressive with fan noise at the upper levels of the spectrum.
That's just my guess so we'll see.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
What's more noticeable - 1836p vs 2160p, or double the asset resolution on screen? Resolution is more than just in screen space...

I mean, I'm being contrarian here - but limiting the SSD improvement to load time is missing half the picture.
would that ssd speed really double the asset resolution even with slower ram?

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Isn't the ray tracing in the consoles directly tied to the compute units? Won't this potentially hinder ps 5?
I would assume that CUs are where ray tracing hardware is too. But PS5 has higher clock GPU so it should be similar differential as the raw TF count, unless Sony spent a lot of die space on I/O computation off loading from the Zen 2 cores...But then again they haven't told us the die size so hard to say until a teardown.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I was expecting the PS5 to be slightly weaker... but still is an incredibly powerful thing for a home console. I'm excited how this will "affect" the PC world especially terms of GPU pricing, hope they can severaly decrease because god damn, a 2080ti being $1000+ is simply ridiculous right now considering these consoles are as powerful as a 2080 or 2080 Super and they will cost way less.

Also the games, it all comes to the quality of the games.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I like the man also and I find it all fascinating from the tech involved, is cool stuff and all.

I just can't understand why Sony wen't with this to alienate their core audience, be beaten by Microsoft on numbers and not show anything that really makes their case, like agressive pricing, their hardware operating, games and all.
It's true that they should have at least shown in game examples of the SSD's capabilities. I think that by just showing this they would have done enough. Maybe they think that there is nothing they can do to convince people to look away from the TF number so they preferred to just get the technical details out of the way so they can only focus on games next time.

Sweep14

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really Disappointed:

- No PS1-3 Backward Compatibility
- Backward Compatibility only for around 100 selected PS4 Games
- 10.3 TF's variable, probably around 9.6-10 TF's average
- No presentation of the final Console Design
No PS5 Game announcement
- No enhancements for PS4 BC Games

The only positive are the loading times, but personally I can wait 10 seconds more until my game is loaded.

This Sony presentation made me realize that Microsoft Engineers are absolutely incredible Wizards.

You got backward compatibility wrong : The 100 titles refer to those that were tested using PS5 Boost Mode. The rest of the PS4 library will be compatible using PS5's legacy modes for PS4 Pro/PS4.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yea, it'll prob only run at 10.2 TF on simpler games.

Actually, the opposite is true. Simpler games are more likely to cause thermal issues.

This wont happen unless the XSX is targeting unattainably higher settings and res or a dev messed up. XSX GPU is just better, full stop.

At 2Ghz - nevermind 2.25 - and a given ROP count, would PS5's fillrate not be better? Primitive/geometry? Games can get bound on these things...

Yeah, we know XSX has a 17% shader advantage, but PS5 could easily have a 22% advantage in fillrate and geometry based on the clockspeed difference. It's anything but clearcut.

Ehh, that's debatable.

PS4 (launch) has 18 compute units, Xbox One (launch) has 12 compute units.
That's a 150% compute advantage for PS4, which was never overcome.
PS5 (launch) has 36 compute units, XSX (launch) has 52 compute units.
That's a 144% compute advantage for XSX.

The situations are comparable.

Only if you completely ignore the clockspeed differential.

My uneducated hot take is that instead of extra CUs using silicon for fancy audio chip while most users can't tell the difference between 128 and 320 kbit/s mp3 on ther 2x10w tv speakers is kind of a mandatory Kinect move.

The audio chip is only adding like 100GFlops. Redirecting it to the GPU isn't a game changer.