• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
Slower CPU, RAM and GPU?

It better be $399

Edit: After the presentation, I may have jumped the shark. SSD seems insane, holy crap.
Well...

In terms of RAM you get 16gb at a constant speed...it's slower than 10gb of the Xbox RAM...faster than the other 6...

The GPU is significantly faster...but less CU's

xem

Oct 31, 2017
This is so very interesting from the Eurogamer article. Wonder how this plays out in real games.

"Also, it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to fully use 48 CUs - when triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work."

Sony's pitch is essentially this: a smaller GPU can be a more nimble, more agile GPU, the inference being that PS5's graphics core should be able to deliver performance higher than you may expect from a TFLOPs number that doesn't accurately encompass the capabilities of all parts of the GPU. Developers work to the power limits of the SoC, their workloads affecting frequencies on the fly - but it's those factors that impact the clock speeds, not ambient temperatures.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The TF number is a better way to compare the GPUs since their architecture is the same and TFs take into account the CUs and clockspeed. The XSX has more CUs but lower clockspeeds while the PS5 have less CUs but much higher clockspeeds.

I guess if I had to simplify it it's like the PS5 has 36 workers but are working really fast compared to XSX 52 workers but they are working slower. Overall the difference between the 2 consoles is somewhere around 15-20% in favor of XSX.

Kind of makes me wonder what options MS would have with a mid gen refresh for XSX since they are probably close to maxed on CU count. Sony could probably double theirs if they only have 36 now

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
We clearly know there is some sort of tradeoff, otherwise it wouldn't be worth mentioning. If you really thought that 99% of the time both CPU and GPU would be running full speed, it wouldn't even be a bullet point.

Clearly, there is a tradeoff between CPU and GPU to get to 2.3 since there was an entire section dedicated to it.

The question is around things like "how often" and "how much" these tradeoffs create.

In the end, Sony can claim 10.2 TFLOPS, which is a good marketing bullet for them.

The last piece of the puzzle is price, really.
$399.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Forgive my lack of imagination, but after a certain point, what is the return on ever higher storage speeds? I mean, if, after an (ever shorter) initial load we can play with a giant open world with minimal obvious loading already, what data does a dev need to throw at the player to properly exploit such speed?

'Load times' clearly aren't the main purpose here. Nor do I buy 'gamechanger' outright: we already have paper and pencil, the fundamental design tools, and games are still wearing familiar grooves all the same.

Games are constantly loading data from storage. There isn't a singular initial load and that's it. Those things tied to runtime loading will benefit a lot from higher IO - that could run the gamut from higher level things like level design, through to nuts and bolts like io-bound framerate stutters or pop-in. If it means more effective memory for what you're seeing on screen - that can mean higher res assets.

The speed of the storage, as pertains to initial load, is only half the story of the reason for it. I think the presentation illustrated both sides of that coin pretty well.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
If Sony want to kill the Xbox brand off once and for all they'll go $399 if Series X is $499.

It will be a repeat of last gen sales wise if they do that imo especially now the have backwards compatibility for their 110 million PS4 owners.
It will actually be more brutal than last gen because the XBX doesnt have a Kinect to drop and price match the PS5 within 6 months like the Xboxone did. Business wise a 400$ PS5 vs a 500$ Xbx will lead to an even bigger sales gap than PS4 vs Xboxone.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is it really a misstep when the PS4 exclusives have been a major part of the succes of the console? I don't think so. Sony is massively improving the one area they were already the best at.
We'll see but I don't think even with the higher speeds this is going to cause some sort of revolution in terms of open world game design on the PS5. The PS5 is worse at a lot of basic stuff compared to the Xbox with one area that only could be utilized by exclusives. Feels like the PS3 gen all over again.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We clearly know there is some sort of tradeoff, otherwise it wouldn't be worth mentioning. If you really thought that 99% of the time both CPU and GPU would be running full speed, it wouldn't even be a bullet point.

Clearly, there is a tradeoff between CPU and GPU to get to 2.3 since there was an entire section dedicated to it.

The question is around things like "how often" and "how much" these tradeoffs create.

In the end, Sony can claim 10.2 TFLOPS, which is a good marketing bullet for them.

Hmm interesting, im looking forward to DF impression video on this.

Vestal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
I'll wait for the DF comparison.

Right now, IMO XSX is the lead machine for power. No question about it.
PS5 has some secret sauce that we have to wait and see if it can keep up.

What is obvious is that Microsoft is way ahead in production and will be first to market.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Kind of makes me wonder what options MS would have with a mid gen refresh for XSX since they are probably close to maxed on CU count. Sony could probably double theirs if they only have 36 now
Maybe on <5nm. They won't double with a transition to 5nm.

I'll wait for the DF comparison.

Right now, IMO XSX is the lead machine for power. No question about it.
PS5 has some secret sauce that we have to wait and see if it can keep up.

What is obvious is that Microsoft is way ahead in production and will be first to market.
Post link.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my lack of imagination, but after a certain point, what is the return on ever higher storage speeds? I mean, if, after an (ever shorter) initial load we can play with a giant open world with minimal obvious loading already, what data does a dev need to throw at the player to properly exploit such speed? What can they throw at the player that's new but also actually playable, rather than being so fast or overwhelming it's unplayable?

The messaging was that the SSD could basically function as RAM because it's so fast.

Which was basically the same messaging as the Xbox X specs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see but I don't think even with the higher speeds this is going to cause some sort of revolution in terms of open world game design on the PS5. The PS5 is worse at a lot of basic stuff compared to the Xbox with one area that only could be utilized by exclusives. Feels like the PS3 gen all over again.

Yup. I really don't know why they decided to focus on such a weird outlier feature that nobody but them will use.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Or maybe they really wanted to develop a component that will guarantee first party titles being superior no matter the price point.

It's true that unoptimized third party titles will look inferior, although I'm sure big publishers will try utilizing the SSD as well.

People need to understand that Sony has a very different user base than MS's even though they are both considered "hardcore". Sony probably thinks that their customers wouldn't like a 2 console solution while also being more price sensitive (since Sony relies on many not as wealthy markets as well). As a result, they looked for a differentiating factor that can be used as a marketing tool and limits costs to R&D and not BOM.

Basically, they designed a console than can produce games that can't run on a competing platform no matter the power (exaggerating for emphasis).

Yeah, and I think that's fine and a valid strategy, provided that you make that clear to your audience: before the stream started, there were 300 thousand people awaiting and I'm sure most of them had a hard time following the presentation and a bunch felt that the PS5 is weaker, is making excuses and didn't show nothing of true value for itself. It's weird.

If your main goal is not the premium market, you should adjust your messaging. They didn't, they went out days after the Xbox to be beaten severely by comparisson and I find it very strange.

Oct 28, 2017
My uneducated hot take is that instead of extra CUs using silicon for fancy audio chip while most users can't tell the difference between 128 and 320 kbit/s mp3 on ther 2x10w tv speakers is kind of a mandatory Kinect move.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Sony does have some advantages when it comes to the SSD but yeah XSX is just plain more powerful. Its not that much of a difference though and will result in stuff like PS5 being checkerboard 1900p vs XSX native 2160p which is much less noticeable than load times and less noticeable than previous launch with the 720p/900p-1080p difference where checkerboarding wasn't used yet. The one area that will hurt Sony though is less compute will affect raytracing.

I think the perception of value is of course going to hinge largely on the price and its possible Sony really wanted that $399 spot.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Folks this isn't a 10.3TF machine, we can pretend otherwise, but we must be honest with ourselves.

Practically I'm expecting 9.2-9.7TF (2-2.1GHz).

Albert Penello sorry for doubting you. Appreciate your contributions. I'm eating lots of crow tonight.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Mid gen refreshes would likely be on 5 nm which opens up room for more CUs. Either way, Sony can double CUs and MS can boost their clocks to match. These consoles are basically 90% the same tech, lol.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That's only if someone thinks that the GPU is the most important part. What Cerny described regarding the SSD is a paradigm shift. I don't understand people that prefer a new generation that's only evolutionary. Don't you want games that are fundamentally different design wise? Also people keep mentioning GPU power as a metric of how much a company has invested in development. That's objectively false. A component being weaker doesn't mean that a company failed but that it has different goals to achieve. If Sony thinks that sacrificing GPU power will give them a revolutionary SSD solution (while keeping costs low) then that's what they should do.

Comparisons to the Xbox One/PS4 are also false since the Xbox one managed to have a similar BOM without ANY superior hardware features. That's not the case with the PS5 and actually I'm not even convinced yet that it's overall "weaker" as a solution.
Exactly, we're getting something here that would change how games are able to be designed and this is achievable in the next few years rather than the next cycle. It's not some pie in the sky that only relates to load times. Sony wouldn't dedicate this much of their console to something that they think will be a marginal gain overall. Sometimes I think people are allergic to innovation. Whether it's VR or it's things like this.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I know plans obviously changed with the pandemic but surely even just on a straightforward mindmap even I would have said "Step 1: Showcase a game and PS5's core points in a snappy 20/40 minute show. Then 2: Nitty gritty details with Mark Cerny" rather than just Step 2.

They knew the fanbase have been thirsty for YEARS since E3 2018 and this is what you do? Is Jim Ryan an alien who likes dullness?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems they had price in mind, if price is competitive, that is a awesome console. It will obviously be compared to XSX, but since difference in raw power is the smallest for a while (less than vanilla XBO-PS4 difference and PS4pro-XBX difference) seems that as long pricing is right i see no problems at all.
Price is the key as always. Hopefully is 399 or 449 max. Great specs for that price.
Seems a balanced console.

As we have not heard anything about price at all, I don't know how you can say "great specs for that price".

Oct 27, 2017
What I think they did:
1) Boost depends on power output. So they set a target of 180W that's dynamically allocated to CPU and GPU based on respective loads using AMD SpeedShift.
2) They designed the cooling around a higher number to count for decay due to passing of time. So something like being able to handle 200-210W.

This is different than your usual GPU boost which has boost purely depending on temperature. Over-speccing the cooling means they can achieve a relatively consistent boost across different units that have differences in chip quality due to manufacturing procees and differences in ambieent temperaature. PC GPUs boost higher if the ambient temperature is lower as the heaat output drops. This won't be the case with PS5.

But if that was the case, and the cooling system could handle far more heat that the console was ever capable of producing, wouldn't they be able to run at maximum clockspeeds indefinitely?

The more I think about the more I think this is more about avoiding the whole 'jet engine cooling' reputation that Sony consoles have. I think it's a given that the PS5 is going to have a more traditional and compact form factor than the Series X, so they're aware that they're going to run into problems with cooling again, and the lesser of two evils is to dial back the performance on the fly but keep the fans running quiet.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
On second thought...they did the best they could.

Once they actually show the console and the games running in that, no one will be talking about the specs. That's already done. In some ways this was smart lol.

PS: I'm talking about exclusives. i know multiplatform games will be compared.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Games are constantly loading data from storage. There isn't a singular initial load and that's it. Those things tied to runtime loading will benefit a lot from higher IO - that could run the gamut from higher level things like game design, through to nuts and bolts like io-bound framerate stutters or pop-in.

The speed of the storage, as pertains to initial load, is only half the story of the reason for it. I think the presentation illustrated both sides of that coin pretty well.

Sure, I get that. But given we already have games doing this very well, what's the thing that justifies the 'gamechanger' idea? Fixing up nuts and bolts isn't game design, that's nice, but it's not revelatory. We can say 'game design' but what does that mean? Especially given how actual revelations in game design are to my mind contingent on the creator, not their tools. See: Nintendo.

Again, I know I lack imagination and expertise here, I am just curious.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, we're getting something here that would change how games are able to be designed and achievable in the next few years rather than the next cycle. It's not some pie in the sky bullet point that only relates to load times. Sony wouldn't dedicate this much to something marginal. Sometimes I think people are allergic to innovation. Whether it's VR or it's things like this.

It's not going to matter for the overwhelming majority of games. Why bother with it?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Cerny literally said and showed in a slide RDNA2

He talked about how people should not get the impression that Sony just stuck a PC GPU in there, so it there might be a closely matched AMD card coming? In that case it'd be weird to not have most RDNA2 features in PS5, otherwise that comparison wouldn't happen.

What about that Geometry Engine, though. I need a long article just about that thing.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sources on that? Marketing timing doesn't have much to do with production timing.

People tend to assume that if the company doesn't reveal everything at the same time as MS then they are in shambles. Reality is that both consoles will be sold out this Q4 (or Q1) and it doesn't matter when everything is revealed.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
They're aiming for price, which is smart historically. We'll see I suppose. They're not going to get the cheaper and faster advantage they had at the beginning of this gen

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you don't want a very powerful system that allows for fundamental improvements to game design? What are you looking for on a new generation of consoles then?
Several things.... But the biggest thing is that this "very powerful system" leaves room for a Pro version... And since i only buy one system, unless it dies, a gen. I am going to wait for a Pro version.

It is great that fundamental design changes will happen and i will be able to enjoy it when they release the Pro version and if not i can wait till the system is very cheap. But the improvements and focus that they prioritized is not really exciting for me... I haven't used a 2 speaker system with gaming since the PS1. So why would i be happy with virtual "surround" focus? Those speeds are interesting but it's a recipe for disaster.... Like i said i can wait for the sane Pro version.... I have no clue what they were smoking when designing the PS5.... but i want some :)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to matter for the overwhelming majority of games. Why bother with it?
It will absolutely matter to the standout games that Sony will be promoting their console with. Those games will be nuts. We should want developers to be offered more freedom. It may or it may not have influence over development studios who want to expend the resources to make it happen, but it's a worthwhile endeavour for the sake of putting tools on the table to enable innovation in an industry that people complain is stagnant.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Perfectly said. This is a more balanced console versus the powerful XsX (which is an incredibly impressive piece of hardware), so there will be trade-offs. PS5 will shine in certain areas and XsX will shine in others, but all-in-all we win as gamers regardless since both systems are a substantial jump over current generation.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
My guess before the presentation was pretty close all-in-all. If anything I seriously underestimated the SSD speed.
My final prediction for today:

No consumer console design and no launch games shown.
Controller prototype will be shown/talked about a good deal as key differentiator.

CPU/GPU ~85% of Series X.
SSD is very fast (*>5GBps).
16G RAM for games, 4GB for OS/Other.
Audio chip will be talked up.
PS4 BC (not 1-3).

Afro_DusT

Apr 11, 2018
A lot of you guys are acting like you're gonna be playing the chips themselves rather than the games that'll be enabled by the components. What matters most is the software at the end of the day, and though we haven't seen much in that regard yet, we should wait to see what's in store before declaring "winners" and "losers," as if that even matters much in the first place.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
But if that was the case, and the cooling system could handle far more heat that the console was ever capable of producing, wouldn't they be able to run at maximum clockspeeds indefinitely?

The more I think about the more I think this is more about avoiding the whole 'jet engine cooling' reputation that Sony consoles have. I think it's a given that the PS5 is going to have a more traditional and compact form factor than the Series X, so they're aware that they're going to run into problems with cooling again, and the lesser of two evils is to dial back the performance on the fly but keep the fans running quiet.

I think the problem is that if they specced the cooling to match the TDP, the degradation over time due to dust + the difference in ambient temperature would mean that different PS5s would have wildly different clocks. In order to keep it predictable (like console design is), you have to have unused redundancy. Otherwise it's exacly the same as GPU boost from AMD/Nvidia and that's not what Sony is marketing. In my opinion a cleaver design if they pull it off.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
well, let's put it this way... the XSX GPU/CPU is not twice as fast as the PS5, it's like 15% faster

the PS5 SSD is more than twice as fast as the XSX SSD speed

now if you just think, okay so PS5 loads faster here and there; no that's the wrong takeaway. that's what you get in an open environment like on PC where everyone is running different speeds

in a closed setting, knowing everyone has 5.5 GB/s raw data rate is massive and has game engine and design implications, which cerny pointed out
i can only hope you are right, but for now like i said, i'm a little pissed off and skeptical.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It may or it may not have influence over development studios who want to expend the resources to make it happen.

But if they're making a multiplatform game those resources will go to waste because you can't just change the core design concept for a game for one platform. Devs aren't going to make a PS5-specific world design for their multiplatform games - it'll only matter for exclusive titles.

If there were more exclusive games in the world it would make sense, but we're seeing a MARKED contraction in exclusivity in recent years. Third parties aren't going to forego PC/XB releases in favor of making PS5 exclusives.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, and I think that's fine and a valid strategy, provided that you make that clear to your audience: before the stream started, there were 300 thousand people awaiting and I'm sure most of them had a hard time following the presentation and a bunch felt that the PS5 is weaker, is making excuses and didn't show nothing of true value for itself. It's weird.

If your main goal is not the premium market, you should adjust your messaging. They didn't, they went out days after the Xbox to be beaten severely by comparisson and I find it very strange.
I agree that the presentation wasn't ideal (even though I love listening to Cerny) but I'll give it to the coronavirus epidemic affecting marketing. What I don't understand is people claiming that Cerny didn't deliver this time or that Sony was complacent this time when it's obvious that there is significant R&D involved.