• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disagreeing with your on paper raw spec wise XSX is more powerful. But what I'm saying is do you think Third party developers are going to take advantage of it? Because looking at Xbox one x there are cases where they didn't.

So really it's kind of moot point. There's nothing really that is bottleneking these consoles like there was previous gen with ESRAM, and OS Bloat.

I mean probably for MS first party, and BC titles I BELIEVE you will see them use that 12tf effectively as we've seen from early previews.

Yeah, it's a wait and see thing. A lot of the issues with X1X stuff is devs prioritizing resolution over everything. Hopefully that is less of an issue going forward.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The real game changer is the SSD. It's 100% faster than the XSX SSD, which is kind of insane. This will dramatically change the way games look and also their scope. Developers will be able to do stuff that they simply can't on XSX.

. The real leap of the SSD is as compared to the previous generation of HDDs. A 2.4GB/s SSD will pull off 99% of the tricks you'd do with a 5GB/s SSD.

You'll be able to make detailed, rich open worlds with tremendous asset streaming on both solutions. Loading times will be minimal, and the difference between both solutions will be relatively insignificant.

The OS should run smoothly on both, and boot up should also be fast on both consoles.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
How'd you come to that conclusion? Did you miss the presentation? You clearly did. The PS5's frequency speeds are so insane that the teraflops talk is now embarrassing. PS5 is going to be more "powerful" in the long run.
You're joking, right?
Have we seen any of these high frequency speeds in action yet? All we have are words.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to buy both XSX and PS5, just as I did XB1/PS4, but the spin this time people are putting on power not mattering is amusing haha. It was ALL you read in 2013.

Well, realistically speaking, the PS5 may have the most impressive looking games because it will have exclusives developed for it from the ground up that use every bit of its power. On the flipside, if Microsoft does have another console to unveil -- Series S or whatever -- then all of their games will have to at least target that spec in the future unless they choose to make Series X exclusive games. Everyone else will make stuff that has to run on PCs that aren't guaranteed to have NVMe SSDs, so that will potentially hold things back from third parties, as well.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with the presentation, overall they landed exactly where I thought they would.

Now I'm thinking that Sony is going into this generation with a different strategy. Design the absolute best possible spec for $399 and release a mid-cycle refresh PS5 Pro where as Microsoft may be going in with best possible spec compared to PS5 and price would be decided later, Lockhart and mid-cycle refresh TBD.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Can't imagine anyone would prefer faster ssd to higher specs overall esp. with regards to ray tracing.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping for a significant storage boost... some games are already around 100gb. How big will they be 5 years from now?

Wonder if the entire FFVII Remake collection will even fit on it lol.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
giphy.gif

The perfect reaction and just my face when reading many of the "concern" posts in here. Usually, I can crack a smile, but it's just bad now.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
That's only if someone thinks that the GPU is the most important part. What Cerny described regarding the SSD is a paradigm shift. I don't understand people that prefer a new generation that's only evolutionary. Don't you want games that are fundamentally different design wise? Also people keep mentioning GPU power as a metric of how much a company has invested in development. That's objectively false. A component being weaker doesn't mean that a company failed but that it has different goals to achieve. If Sony thinks that sacrificing GPU power will give them a revolutionary SSD solution (while keeping costs low) then that's what they should do.

Comparisons to the Xbox One/PS4 are also false since the Xbox one managed to have a similar BOM without ANY superior hardware features. That's not the case with the PS5 and actually I'm not even convinced yet that it's overall "weaker" as a solution.

I know the SSD is amazing and all, but in the end of the day, multiplat titles will probably just aim to the Xbox solution. So what? The PS5 loads the game 2 seconds faster, but outputs worse graphical fidelity and resolution? Maybe lower FPS as well? Great! I'm sure people will gonna do loads of stuff with those extra seconds on their lifes while wondering why the new COD, Battlefied or AC runs better on the Xbox.

I know they had different goals and that's what I find baffling, after the PS4 being a straight forward piece of hardware.

Maybe they simply tried to design around the $399 price, and that's fair enough. But if that's your main objective, you should just start the presentation with this: it'll cost $399, so people at least temper their spectations.

Edit: or, in another words:

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's not 10.3 vs 12.

It's effectively 9.3 vs 12. The 10.3 is "boost" only.
Nobody knows what the usual boost is. He mentioned that a few percent reduction in clocks yields 10% decrease in power, so it's very elastic. Sony went to very high levels of frequency/TDP so depending on the cooling I'd expect 9.6-9.8 TFLOPs to be an average TFLOP output.

Oct 25, 2017
High level it looks like Sony got complacent let's be honest.

The pricing needs to be cheaper than Series X that is 100% for sure.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is the gap the same between Pro and the X or is even bigger or smaller now?
Much smaller. X had other advantages with a 43% more powerful GPU. Here, PS5 has some advantages and the difference in GPU is 17%.

That's 4.2 Vs 6.

This is 10.3 Vs 12.

So yeah about similar difference. 1.8 Vs 1.7
That's not how this works. It's a 43% difference versus a 17% difference. Keep in mind the X had other advantages. This is much smaller.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Lol what a bunch of fluff like talk haha.. Nothing that they said got me excited, well not completely true but meh. Not a exciting system. SSD=Great... the audio stuff....nope.. and the rest also nope....

Overall, not a interesting system that i want to buy. Conclusion: skip and waiting for the Pro lol.....and if no Pro i can wait till it's in the 1xx euro region... lol

Team github you were right and i was wrong..... Did not expect Cerny to come with this kind of system......
So you don't want a very powerful system that allows for fundamental improvements to game design? What are you looking for on a new generation of consoles then?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The SSD affecting worlds is starting to sound like MS and the cloud. What 3rd party is actually going to develop specifically for that? How many games will we actually see that play a role? Also, it's not like MS doesn't have a fast SSD as well, albeit somewhat slower.

Yeah, it's probably only going to benefit a few (exclusive) games besides load times and pop-in (which should be lessened on either system).

The Xbox reveal had some interesting tidbits (e.g. how it could segment out huge textures to save on memory usage)... not sure of PS5 can do that stuff too...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
In other words, we're in yet another generation where only PS5 exclusives (and at times not even those) will make use of the hardware's one and only defining feature?

We're not about to walk into PS3 2.0, are we? :/

Dude? Did you even watch the presentation? Games already coming out this year and going into next year are taking advantage of faster storage or even designing their games around asset streaming among other things.

The SSD is super fast, and there are somethings that First party and maybe studios like DICE would use for 3D audio.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what John from DF is saying:
  • Playstation exclusives are open to new types of game design due to ridiculous IO speeds​
  • Multiplats should be better on Series X outside of load times​

Basically Xbox is the better multiplat machine while Sony's 1st party devs will do crazy shit in their open world games. Sounds familiar.

Yup. It's PS3 all over again. Woof.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
This wont happen unless the XSX is targeting unattainably higher settings and res or a dev messed up. XSX GPU is just better, full stop.

Just like this gen with ps4pro and x1x. If a game is performing worse on x1x I think a developer has all the wrong prioritise or some Software Problem they need to work around.

Also I just want to shutdown any discussion of 'Brute forcing' regarding any Hardware. Sometimes things are just better. Like the RTX 2080 is better than the 2060S

This can't be quoted enough, especially that last sentence.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
That's only if someone thinks that the GPU is the most important part. What Cerny described regarding the SSD is a paradigm shift. I don't understand people that prefer a new generation that's only evolutionary. Don't you want games that are fundamentally different design wise? Also people keep mentioning GPU power as a metric of how much a company has invested in development. That's objectively false. A component being weaker doesn't mean that a company failed but that it has different goals to achieve. If Sony thinks that sacrificing GPU power will give them a revolutionary SSD solution (while keeping costs low) then that's what they should do.

Comparisons to the Xbox One/PS4 are also false since the Xbox one managed to have a similar BOM without ANY superior hardware features. That's not the case with the PS5 and actually I'm not even convinced yet that it's overall "weaker" as a solution.
They went with 12 channels vs 8 channels on most PC SSDs now.

But he didn't talk about the I/O use by the CPU like MS did. Nor about "sustained" performance because ALL SSDs lose performance due to temperature.

With the Turbo clocks talk, I doubt the 5.5 is sustained.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the PS5 have the "multiple games suspended mode"? You know, the secretly best feature of the xbox sex...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The SSD affecting worlds is starting to sound like MS and the cloud. What 3rd party is actually going to develop specifically for that? How many games will we actually see that play a role? Also, it's not like MS doesn't have a fast SSD as well, albeit somewhat slower.

Devs, outside of exclusives, obviously won't start building games on a 5.5GB/s baseline.

However any game that leans in on streaming could benefit in a perceptual way if lower IO speeds result, occasionally or otherwise, in streaming artifacts or stuttering or the like. Those problems will be less pronounced with higher IO speed, where it is the fault of IO speed.

PS5 devs are free to go crazy with it. It may not just be about asset throughput either in that context.

They went with 12 channels vs 8 channels on most PC SSDs now.

But he didn't talk about the I/O use by the CPU like MS did. Nor about "sustained" performance because ALL SSDs lose performance due to temperature.

I believe he outlined how basically all the IO work is offloaded to custom logic, not on the CPU.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

John Linneman on Twitter

“The craziest thing about PS5 is the speed of the SSD. 5.5 GB/s is just part of the story - there is a lot of custom silicon in there to ensure that the system isn't bottlenecked in other areas. It's *REALLY* fast on paper - a lot faster than Xbox Series X even.”

Indeed. There's more to these systems than just the GPU.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dude? Did you even watch the presentation? Games already coming out this year and going into next year are taking advantage of faster storage or even designing their games around asset streaming among other things.

The SSD is super fast, and there are somethings that First party and maybe studios like DICE would use for 3D audio.

No. I was working, and I don't have any interest in listening to Cerny talk about hardware stats. I care about raw comparisons - what it's better at and what it's worse at.

A super fast SSD isn't going to do anything for multiplatform games, so the only feature the PS5 has to crow about is something only exclusives will take advantage of. That's a pretty big bummer in my book.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
No it can't. Stop lying.

I am fairly certain we won't Even see difference of Pro and X
Part of the formula to calculate teraflops includes compute units (CU), which are themselves clusters of shading units where rasterization work is done.
XSX has 52 compute units, PS5 has 36 compute units.
I'll let you do the math on the difference there, but to say there won't be a difference ... is also lying.

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
Those would be good specs if they were locked but the whole boost thing sounds terrible to me.
I don't get why Sony chose to focus on a superfast custom SSD. Most games are still going to be built around the Series X SSD so what is the point. Loading times are not in anybody's list of priorities, the performance of an average gaming rig SSD would have been fine.
Overall i'm disappointed the github thing turned out to be real.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
call me skeptical but i'm gonna wait for some other feedback before even thinking of being more happy for a speedier ssd than a more powerfull cpu\gpu...
sorry if i sound harsh but ps5 is the only console i need and i'm forced to buy but sony cheapen up and fucked up greatly this time because some people can't pay more than 400 dollars for a machine that you use and abuse for 6-7 years.
well, let's put it this way... the XSX GPU/CPU is not twice as fast as the PS5, it's like 15% faster

the PS5 SSD is more than twice as fast as the XSX SSD speed

now if you just think, okay so PS5 loads faster here and there; no that's the wrong takeaway. that's what you get in an open environment like on PC where everyone is running different speeds

in a closed setting, knowing everyone has 5.5 GB/s raw data rate is massive and has game engine and design implications, which cerny pointed out

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have a hard time believing PS5 SSD is gonna change game design as we know. Remember majority of games are multiplatform, they have to run on the XBOX, and most devs aren't going to sacrifice a whole SKU just because PS5 SSD is this gamechanger (if it really is).

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's strange that Sony decided to go all in on the SSD of all things when only their studios can really take advantage of that.