• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've had this in mind for a while now (and I'm far from the only one), but SSD speed influences game design and we're yet to see the way it's integrated into the experience. Regardless, it's a game changer.

"Slightly faster", well I'm expecting next to zero load times from this thing, whereas the demo that Microsoft showed a couple of days ago had a current-gen game loading in 8 seconds which I would imagine adds up.

XSX is brute force powerful?
PS5 is smartly optimised powerful?

I never doubted the Cerny, and 5.5GB/s SSD is the cherry on top.

I mean sure the SSD speed can influence gamedesign, but multiplatform game will still need to run on Xbox so they can't rely on the SSD Speed...
1st party exclusive Sony games will be nuts though

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Specs look great. People need to realize that the GPU clocks don't just influence the amount of TF, but the whole GPU. In the real world, XSX will maybe have a 10% advantage vs PS5 when it comes to resolution.

The real game changer is the SSD. It's 100% faster than the XSX SSD, which is kind of insane. This will dramatically change the way games look and also their scope. Developers will be able to do stuff that they simply can't on XSX.

LOL

You bought into the hype for the one thing that is "better".

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
before presentation

d91.gif

after presentation

source.gif

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol what a bunch of fluff like talk haha.. Nothing that they said got me excited, well not completely true but meh. Not a exciting system. SSD=Great... the audio stuff....nope.. and the rest also nope....

Overall, not a interesting system that i want to buy. Conclusion: skip and waiting for the Pro lol.....and if no Pro i can wait till it's in the 1xx euro region... lol

Team github you were right and i was wrong..... Did not expect Cerny to come with this kind of system......

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
The specs are good, but the PS5 is very very underwhelming to me compared to the XSX.

And now that I've lost interest in almost all of Sony's exclusives (not a big fan of MS's either) compared to the good ol' PS2 days, Game Pass is my biggest consideration right now. It's too good of a value, so I'm just gonna stick with XSX.

If better, more comprehensive BC was confirmed, I'd be more hyped, but it's a shame that Sony only seems to be sticking with PS4 BC.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So...someone sum it up for someone who doesn't really do hardware math. From the looks of it it's weaker than the XSX in pretty much every regard? What's the secret sauce here?
The SSD. However, in a world where third parties (and even potentially Sony first parties themselves) are developing for not just PS5 but also PC and/or XSX, it remains to be seen whether the PS5 SSD will really get taken advantage of

before presentation

d91.gif

after presentation

source.gif
lmao. Accurate

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly the feel it gave to me. This whole sound obsession seems like a ton of effort in something that doesn't seem so worthwhile. The same about the SSD.

In the end of the day, the Xbox has one too and multiplats will probably comply to it, since is a tad slower.

Felt like the focus was all over the place and the GPU was the last thing they bothered to shove in there.
That's only if someone thinks that the GPU is the most important part. What Cerny described regarding the SSD is a paradigm shift. I don't understand people that prefer a new generation that's only evolutionary. Don't you want games that are fundamentally different design wise? Also people keep mentioning GPU power as a metric of how much a company has invested in development. That's objectively false. A component being weaker doesn't mean that a company failed but that it has different goals to achieve. If Sony thinks that sacrificing GPU power will give them a revolutionary SSD solution (while keeping costs low) then that's what they should do.

Comparisons to the Xbox One/PS4 are also false since the Xbox one managed to have a similar BOM without ANY superior hardware features. That's not the case with the PS5 and actually I'm not even convinced yet that it's overall "weaker" as a solution.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
that was one hell of a GDC showing. Glad I didn't have to spend $1,500 to go to it.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Can we not pretend that SSD speed only affects load times?

Cause it's going to become a disingenuous meme for the best part of a generation.

Odd choice to demo that then, I would say.

call me skeptical but i'm gonna wait for some other feedback before even thinking of being more happy for a speedier ssd than a more powerfull cpu\gpu...
sorry if i sound harsh but ps5 is the only console i need and i'm forced to buy but sony cheapen up and fucked up greatly this time because some people can't pay more than 400 dollars for a machine that you use and abuse for 6-7 years.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Sony received a lot of well-deserved praise for creating a simple, powerful system in the PS4, while Xbox received criticism for the ESRSM. It is confusing to me why Sony made a much more paradigm shifting device with the PS5. Almost like the roles were reversed.

Ego. Cerny has always struck me as being somewhat self indulgent. Does anyone know who the architect of the Xbox, Switch, IPad, Samsung Galaxy, or Surface Book is? Does one guy really design these things? I don't buy it. And if one guys does it at Sony, it's easy to see how he could have fallen behind. With that being said, I still think this is more about MS getting it right than Cerny getting it wrong.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So...someone sum it up for someone who doesn't really do hardware math. From the looks of it it's weaker than the XSX in pretty much every regard? What's the secret sauce here?

It has a much faster SSD.

Parts of the GPU outside of the ALU may be faster/more powerful if the top and tail of the GPU pipeline is the same as in Xbox - either at its base or peak clock.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So it will on average be even weaker than Xbox than previously thought?

The clock speed and therefore that TF number is directly tied to each other.
As the numbers that have been given are the peak speed they can achieve rather than their normal operating speed

This is exactly why Microsoft made a point of saying their specs were not boosted speeds.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The SSD. However, in a world where third parties (and even potentially Sony first parties themselves) are developing for not just PS5 but also XSX and PC, it remains to be seen whether the PS5 SSD will really get taken advantage of

In other words, we're in yet another generation where only PS5 exclusives (and at times not even those) will make use of the hardware's one and only defining feature?

We're not about to walk into PS3 2.0, are we? :/

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Seems they had price in mind, if price is competitive, that is a awesome console. It will obviously be compared to XSX, but since difference in raw power is the smallest for a while (less than vanilla XBO-PS4 difference and PS4pro-XBX difference) seems that as long pricing is right i see no problems at all.
Price is the key as always. Hopefully is 399 or 449 max. Great specs for that price.
Seems a balanced console.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, serve me the crow. I really thought Sony would deliver on power as well, this was far below all my expectations on the GPU and CPU.

Their SSD seems insane though!

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Well there goes the dream of retiring my PS2.

Hang in there little guy.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Again, that has nothing to do with power. That's smart engineers and developers taking advantage of the tools.

The XSX is more powerful than the PS5. That is objectively true.

It's entirely possible Sony developers manage to get more out of the PS5 than MS devs get from XSX. That is true irrelevant of who is more powerful.

I'm not disagreeing with your on paper raw spec wise XSX is more powerful. But what I'm saying is do you think Third party developers are going to take advantage of it? Because looking at Xbox one x there are cases where they didn't.

So really it's kind of moot point. There's nothing really that is bottleneking these consoles like there was previous gen with ESRAM, and OS Bloat.

I mean probably for MS first party, and BC titles I BELIEVE you will see them use that 12tf effectively as we've seen from early previews.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
The battle will be won on the price and all those custom stuff they put in from the sounds of it.

I'm not sure I'm fully in on the 3D audio tech. I appreciate music and stuff but is it really worth the cost? Although I imagine this will be huge on VR.

Kinda iffy on the variable frequency but from what I understand it's fully dependent on the heat of the console and how the fans handle the thermals(?)

The BC stuff sounds awesome but I can't help but notice the absence of PS1-PS3.

The SSD speeds sound confusing to me as well. It says the minimum is 5.5gb/s so it sounds like it could go higher but is it really important? Like if 80% of the time it's at minimum then it's not really a point in contention. I'm imagine it's a game by game basis.

I've watch the tech talk fully and they only mention replaceable M2 drives. On the other hand this article mentions nvme. Are they the same thing or can you replace the drive and have a nvme slot like the X has?

The tweets from devs mentions that the TF difference between the two consoles doesn't tell the whole story and it seems Sony can close the gap theoretically but simply looking at the spec sheet, the X seems superior in every way. As a layman, I'm struggling to see how PS5 compares favorably despite all the lesser aspects of it.

I guess this will all be answered once the games come out but I can't help but say that I'm quite impatient to wait for it and would like some people knowledgeable answer some of my questions.

In the meantime, RE3 demo for me.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I've had this in mind for a while now (and I'm far from the only one), but SSD speed influences game design and we're yet to see the way it's integrated into the experience. Regardless, it's a game changer.

"Slightly faster", well I'm expecting next to zero load times from this thing, whereas the demo that Microsoft showed a couple of days ago had a current-gen game loading in 8 seconds which I would imagine adds up.

XSX is brute force powerful?
PS5 is smartly optimised powerful?

I never doubted the Cerny, and 5.5GB/s SSD is the cherry on top.

Third party developers are not going to alter the way they design and load game worlds to conform to a faster SSD when they can just pass everything through the memory bandwidth as usual. XSX has a significantly faster memory bandwidth and has its own tools to let developers play with settings (SMT option on the CPU).

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I guess we will see more when they talk about cooling, but yeah unless they have come up with a revolutionary cooling method I can't imagine the PS5 reaches it's peak clock speeds very often, or for very long.
The thing I'm worried about is noise. I have used my PS4 less this gen than I would have liked. The fan noise is straight-up intrusive. The PS5 GPU gives me cause for concern. I'm gonna go XSX at launch and pick up a PS5 Pro later in the gen.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
8 GB RAM to 16 GB RAM is disappointing. I know that the days of multiplying by 16 are behind us but I was hoping for at least 24 GB. Maybe the SSD reduces the need for RAM.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
So better resolution, graphics and frames per second on xbox and slightly faster loading on playstation?

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Well that was a suspicious amount of 'it's actually better than it looks at first, pls ignore the numbers, here are some custom chips' hand-wringing. We'll see.

Sony are going to make some insane exclusives with that SSD. Majority of third party games can not and won't rely on it, if it needs to run on xbox, pc and PS5.

I commend Sony but it seems strange to really go all out on that SSD knowing this.

They know that their competitors' storage solutions are plenty fast and won't make a difference in real gaming life no matter the hype right now, there won't be any 'insane exclusives' that wouldn't be possible elsewhere just because of their SSD. We're not talking about low-end SATA vs high-end NVMe here, it's all high-end and game data won't suddenly grow exponentially.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The SSD. However, in a world where third parties (and even potentially Sony first parties themselves) are developing for not just PS5 but also PC and/or XSX, it remains to be seen whether the PS5 SSD will really get taken advantage of

Any games that are streaming heavily should benefit pretty transparently - if they become IO bound. I.e. you may have less asset pop-in/LoD transition artifacts etc.

Beyond things which depend on streaming, yeah, it will be more the realm of exclusives to explore.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did the same with PS4...

I don't think so. I believe Sony even eventually acknowledged that they sold it at cost.
www.engadget.com

PS4 costs $381 to make, according to hardware teardown

The PlayStation 4 costs $381 for Sony to build, $18 under its retail price of $399. The figure comes from a hardware teardown by research firm IHS that included the bill of materials, which amounts to $372, as well as per-unit cost of assembly in the assessment. The teardown notes that the...

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Based on what John from DF is saying:
  • Playstation exclusives are open to new types of game design due to ridiculous IO speeds​
  • Multiplats should be better on Series X outside of load times​

Basically Xbox is the better multiplat machine while Sony's 1st party devs will do crazy shit in their open world games. Sounds familiar.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
The SSD affecting worlds is starting to sound like MS and the cloud. What 3rd party is actually going to develop specifically for that? How many games will we actually see that play a role? Also, it's not like MS doesn't have a fast SSD as well, albeit somewhat slower.