• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's all about speed now.
loading times are
tenor.gif

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the usable space is going to be like on the internal drive if it's starting out at 825GB.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
I feel like only exclusives will be the only titles that use it.

Yeah, I am kinda feeling that in real terms the advantage won't be so noticeable. Still, Sony so far has the edge when it comes to exclusives, and I guess that the console will be cheaper, so I'd still bet on them to be the market leader.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
What type of tv should I buy to make the most of these specifications

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
My prediction is that Sony only has 500GB of SSD hardspace (~2x times as fast as microsofts solution) to keep cost down and people will have buy proprietary upgrades which will offset Sonys lose leading approach for the PS5.
My prediction almost came true. Sony has actually done better than expected.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would've preferred more parity. The only upper hand the PS5 has over XSX is with the SSD speed, but given every gaming comparison I've ever seen between SATA3 SSDs and NVMEs, where the difference is an order of magnitude, I imagine the difference will be negligible.

And why is even the CPU slower? I guess it's because they cranked the fuck up out of the GPU, and need to get the thermals into an acceptable level in some other way. Honestly that GPU speed is mighty worrying given how Sony has managed thermal and noise levels in the past.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy with the specs tbh. Love the speedy ssd though. Can't wait to see how the wordwide studios will use it in ways other devs simply can't because it has to work on xbox/pc.

But so far sonys bc game feels pretty weak... So i'm looking worward to play superior bc games on my series X. MS did a fantastic job with the X and Series X.

I'm already happy with 4.2 tf games on my Pro. 9.2-10.2 tf ps5 games will melt my eyes.

Can't wait.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great! Xbox has a good chunk more power, but with games targeting 4K that leaves a ton of room for lower/dynamic res, to say nothing of "performance modes." I'll take a solid 1080p60 in most games over 4K, and we'll probably see a lot of 1080p-1440p games with RT in next-gen anyway.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
36 CU is low enough to make me think they're pricing this at $399. That saves them a decent chunk of money.

I was hoping for at least 11tf but the SSD speed is pretty crazy and I'm happy Sony learned their lesson with proprietary storage.

I'm curious to see how benchmarks between the two consoles will look.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
imagine thinking that gamers wants slightly faster loading times instead of more powerfull cpu\gpu...
if this thing is more than 400 dolars just for the ssd, sony is totally out of his mind...
I've had this in mind for a while now (and I'm far from the only one), but SSD speed influences game design and we're yet to see the way it's integrated into the experience. Regardless, it's a game changer.

"Slightly faster", well I'm expecting next to zero load times from this thing, whereas the demo that Microsoft showed a couple of days ago had a current-gen game loading in 8 seconds which I would imagine adds up.

The Xbox Series X is hands-down the more powerful machine, but it is seemingly a more simplistic approach - lots of brute power. The PS5 is the 'weaker' of the two, but has been developed with lots of systems and tricks designed to allow devs to squeeze more out of it. Or at least, that's how it seems so far.
XSX is brute force powerful?
PS5 is smartly optimised powerful?

I never doubted the Cerny, and 5.5GB/s SSD is the cherry on top.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not in storage speeds. This sounds super custom that will yield some crazy cool fast loading on top of game streaming assets.

In the overall the Xbox is absolutely more powerful. The faster SSD won't change that on its own. It will allow it to do different things though.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason in particular? This is a huge leap over PS4. Games next gen are will (should) look and play great.
Because its about 20% weaker than the XSX with a weaker GPU, slower ram, less memory bandwidth and a slower CPU. Its reasonable for someone to be disappointed and at the same time acknowledging its a nice machine in its own right.

Yeah, pretty much this. The machine for third party games looks like its far and away the X. Exclusives on the ps5 will no doubt be awesome and look amazing, sure. But if these are priced the same and if I have to pick one to get first, its looking like the X at least for now.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think long term the SSD is going to be a huge win with sony first party games taking advantage of the speed.
I'm also super happy that 3rd party drives will be an option as that is a huge deal to me.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
SSD speed influences game design and we're yet to see the way it's integrated into the experience.

It's a game changer.

"Slightly faster", well I'm expecting next to zero load times from this thing, whereas the demo that Microsoft showed a couple of days ago had a current-gen game loading in 8 seconds which I would imagine adds up.

XSX is brute force powerful?
PS5 is smartly optimised powerful?

I never doubted the Cerny, and 5.5GB/s SSD is the cherry on top.

This is a good way to put it

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im getting 2013 flashbacks. I think both systems are gonna be great. I had an xbox one for the first two years of this generation before i got a ps4 to compliment it, and while some games i played on the xbone had a lower resolution, they by no means were horrible versions of those games. All this means is you might get a game running at 1800p or a variable resolution rather than the series x's full 4k. It wont be much different than the current difference in performance you
See in ps4 pro games compared to the xbox
One x. Im personally getting a series x first, but it sounds like you cant go wrong with either box! Though i do wish they offered more than just the "top 100 ps4 games" for bc. Thats a little dissapointing.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
how many times at launch did you not go green since the xbox 360?

I guess that is true lol, it feels like its been so damn long for 2 generations to pass by

Either way though, it seems arrogant sony is back. How can you just ignore at LEAST the PS1 and PS2 catalog like that. Come on.....and not even all PS4 titles work, yet somehow Microsoft has no issue clearly with some titles even being enhanced by the better hardware.

Something tells me you are going to have to buy cyberpunk twice too for the Sony consoles.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah, I am kinda feeling that in real terms the advantage won't be so noticeable. Still, Sony so far has the edge when it comes to exclusives, and I guess that the console will be cheaper, so I'd still bet on them to be the market leader.
Let's be realistic though. They'll be the market leader because the Xbox is a non-starter in most of the world outside America and parts of Europe.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
MS explains how their system works and the neat APIs and small things they're doing to make the XSX optimal.

Forums: "Seems the XSX is brute-forcing it"

lol okaaay
They have the power and the small optimizations.

If the differences between the consoles lead to multiplatform games having a noticibly better performance on the XsX....

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I always assumed Xbox would be the more powerful console this generation, but I wonder if people are getting too caught up in comparing raw numbers? I don't know. If the PS5 I'd deigned smartly it can have fewer bottlenecks or real world performance that exceeds the basic conception of what the raw numbers would hypothetically produce and similarly or more basic system with more raw power might not be as efficient. As a non-tech guy I understand that concept but I don't know if it's pure PR spin for lower raw numbers or what.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Would have been nice to throw in the space a game like Spiderman uses on PS4 vs PS5 with Kraken compression.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You're getting it backwaards. PS5 has a one memory pool unlike the two in XSX and its GPU will most likely be more easily saturated than XSX because of the higher throughput. It'll be slower than XSX, but not by much and clearly more efficient.

You'd have to go over the 10GB limit to spill into the slower RAM, and even that is no slouch. the Xbox RAM solution should be consistently faster for most purposes.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
i think whats missing here is

If the XSX is producing waste and bottlenecks (if thats even the case when comparing the two) when would you notice if at all unless there are games pushing both systems to their absolute max?

Even then developers aren't gonna let the games run shitty on either system once they are out in the wild

Bottom line is. Both systems raised the standard development bar by a huge margin

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Well, the way Cerny made it sound, CUs are important than teraflops because it results in a faster GPU. PS5 could very well end up having better performance for most games.
This wont happen unless the XSX is targeting unattainably higher settings and res or a dev messed up. XSX GPU is just better, full stop.

Just like this gen with ps4pro and x1x. If a game is performing worse on x1x I think a developer has all the wrong prioritise or some Software Problem they need to work around.

Also I just want to shutdown any discussion of 'Brute forcing' regarding any Hardware. Sometimes things are just better. Like the RTX 2080 is better than the 2060S

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
That SSD sounds like next gen stuff. Probably faster than consumer pcie 4.0 SSDs available at the moment?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're getting it backwaards. PS5 has a one memory pool unlike the two in XSX and its GPU will most likely be more easily saturated than XSX because of the higher throughput. It'll be slower than XSX, but not by much and clearly more efficient.

I'm not talking necessarily about split memory pools, but I understand the confusion. I'm talking about a console architecture that expects developers to have a paradigm shift. It's a new console generation, so I personally would expect fundamental shifts in game development, I'm just commenting on reversal.