• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason in particular? This is a huge leap over PS4. Games next gen are will (should) look and play great.

The Xbox is stronger when Sony are top dog and easily have the money to create something on par power wise.

Their BC sounds far behind Xbox too.

If MS does the unthinkable and takes a massive hit to match PS5 price then yikes.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really easy to see the people who didn't read or watch regarding the "boost clocks"

These aren't the traditional boost clocks you know of from PC components which "boost" frequencies based on thermal limits.

PS5 clocks run at the max and downclock based on workload. It's expected only rare games will downclock and even then it will only be a couple %.

The worst trend this industry started was giving uneducated people, prone to kneejerk reactions, the word "terraflop"

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think this will be $399 or that it will be noticeably slower than the Xbox. There's so much custom stuff in and around the CPU.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
with the backwards compatibility bullshit and less power this better be $399.......if the series X is only $100 more this might be the first time i go green again in the start of the gen since Xbox 360

what a turn around, man this feels like a fuck up on Sony's part. Other than the NVMe slot which is much better than the proprietary expansion.

how many times at launch did you not go green since the xbox 360?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
And after all that, GitHub was right.
GitHub, which is owned by Microsoft.

8ete15X.gif

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty nice machine, the SSD speeds are nuts. I'm a little worried about the variable clock speeds and how loud this thing will be but I'll definitely pick one up at some point for the Sony exclusives.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Painfully exhausting, it is.
It's really easy to see the people who didn't read or watch regarding the "boost clocks"

These aren't the traditional boost clocks you know of from PC components which "boost" frequencies based on thermal limits.

PS5 clocks run at the max and downclock based on workload. It's expected only rare games will downclock and even then it will only be a couple %.

The worst trend this industry started was giving uneducated people, prone to kneejerk reactions, the word "terraflop"

D0aSxsTW0AAxHlD.jpg

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Is there any reason in particular? This is a huge leap over PS4. Games next gen are will (should) look and play great.

Because its about 20% weaker than the XSX with a weaker GPU, slower ram, less memory bandwidth and a slower CPU. Its reasonable for someone to be disappointed and at the same time acknowledging its a nice machine in its own right.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
*looks in thread*

Console wars, great.

XBX and PS5 look like beasts, I'll probably get a PS5 but the XBX is giving it a run for its money. Hopefully we see games and more tangibles (aka what does the PS5 look like) soon.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The differences will probably be more pronounced as time goes by. Same as base PS4 vs base XBO. I'm surprised its slower, I expected they would at least match the top of the line xbox.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
As a Playstation fan, the specs read a little disappointing. Effectively it's weaker than the XSX in all areas except SSD speeds. I would have been happy with the rumoured 11.2 / 11.6 TF from a week back, but it's not just the GPU TF count. RAM speeds are slower, SSD storage is strangely smaller and CPU clocks too, RT was sort of glossed over and we don't know a great deal on BC.

I guess for the best Multiplatform game experience I may need to look into investing in the XSX then.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This as the first PS5 presentation, coming AFTER Microsoft's reveals of that system being more powerful, made this into a thoroughly less impressive presentation than the PS4 reveal in every conceivable way.

I come away from this thinking "well, I can't wait for PS5 exclusives, but I'll be buying third party games on Xbox this gen". And also a bit bored.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Specs aren't bad. Although if they release for the same price as the Series X it'll be a bad look.

It'll be an interesting gen. Sony has the IPs and the proven studios to keep this thing going strong. However with the better system Microsoft and their new studios could come swinging. As always it'll come down to the games

That said, if third party games run better and more stable on the Series X...that could give them a step up. If it's minor sure. But if it ends up the difference between a stable 60 and a 60 with a bunch of dips... It may actually be a competitive gen

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
yea, it'll prob only run at 10.2 TF on simpler games.

I dont get this statement

If the thermals are well designed than it can push sustained when needed and run more efficiently (and extend life of the hardware) when not needed

But of the same token I dont see any reason XSX wouldn't have the same capabilities for the most part

I am curious to see what the real world difference will be between the two once the games get pushed

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Sony received a lot of well-deserved praise for creating a simple, powerful system in the PS4, while Xbox received criticism for the ESRSM. It is confusing to me why Sony made a much more paradigm shifting device with the PS5. Almost like the roles were reversed.
You're getting it backwaards. PS5 has a one memory pool unlike the two in XSX and its GPU will most likely be more easily saturated than XSX because of the higher throughput. It'll be slower than XSX, but not by much and clearly more efficient.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still, open a poll asking how many people prefer faster loading times compared to better resolution\details\framerate and let'see how it goes...

It's not just speed that improves. It's bigger open world, less corridors, more open game design, more unique assets, etc.

Although only first party games will be taking advantage of this.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
The Xbox is stronger when Sony are top dog and easily have the money to create something on par power wise.

Their BC sounds far behind Xbox too.

If MS does the unthinkable and takes a massive hit to match PS5 price then yikes.
Remember, Sony aren't trying to produce the most powerful console on the market. They want to make a console that, over a 5-6 period can sell over 100M+ units.

On paper the console is weaker but it's pretty marginal. I'm fully expecting it to be cheaper than the XBX, with MS releasing Lockhart down the line as a cheaper option.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible specs. And that SSD and I/O solution is a game changer. I can only imagine what to expect regarding game design.

Nexus1011

Oct 27, 2017
I think they basically squeezed everything out of those 36 CUs to get to 10.3 TF, overall I'm happy, XSX looks a bit ahead in development right now.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Absolutely crazy SSD speeds. 8-9GBps typical doubling Series X optimal performance (and could reach 22GBps in rarer optimal scenarios on PS5).

TFlops is double-digit so we're in solid territory.

The Tempest audio engine is very interesting.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Guys come on, this is ridiculous.

When PS5 "was" 13 TFLOPS last week some of yall were hanging from the rafters and crying tears of laughter

Now PS5 IS 10 TFLOPS and suddenly it doesn't matter, give me a break...

It will be a good machine no doubt, but don't suddenly act like GPU/CPU doesn't matter, not to mention the huge gap in CU's

Same people who were crying tears of joy for 13tf PS were only Happy because IT would be more powerful than Series X.

There was lots of people who said they would be Happy for anything over 10. For me those specs are just fine and Series X looks amazing too.

Jan 29, 2018
Anything about PS4 games looking better/getting updates on PS5? Eliminating the need for two skus for crossgen games? Halo Infinite style? I forget what Microsoft was calling that feature/initiative.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People were all over the Xbox thread saying there's no way it could be less than $599 and here they are saying it shouldn't be more than $399, but they seem pretty similar in specs.

Are these machines really $200 different?

Oct 27, 2017

In Cerny's presentation, he made it seem like it was the exact opposite of what you suggest, and the console would only be expected to run at maximum clocks in 'worst case' scenarios.

Edit: No wait, I'm the technically-illiterate idiot. I rewatched it and he was talking about their approach with the PS4, not the PS5.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018

Bingo.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember, Sony aren't trying to produce the most powerful console on the market. They want to make a console that, over a 5-6 period can sell over 100M+ units.

On paper the console is weaker but it's pretty marginal. I'm fully expecting it to be cheaper than the XBX, with MS releasing Lockhart down the line as a cheaper option.

If Xbox price match though it would be a moment one for the ages

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like Sony is going to be using their WWS to set them apart. The differences are close enough, but if they can come in at a cheaper price and with GG, ND, Santa Monica, etc releasing games taking full advantage of the system that may be all it takes for success.