• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Though a bit weaker than the XSX in certain regards, I'm impressed by most of what I'm hearing.

Cerny mentioned in the presentation that both the CPU and GPU will remain at their highest clocks for the majority of the time, dropping a couple percent in worst cast scenarios.

I'd be extremely surprised if the PS5 could maintain those clock speeds for long.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I would agree but I have doubts for now about them being able to keep this thing at 2.23 GHz under load most of the time. 9 TF seems like a more realistic conservative estimation, and this would be a sizeable difference with 12.
This. We are looking at a 9TF sustained load vs a 12TF sustained load. XSX has practically a 33% advantage. Which is quite serious.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's true, though. Relying mainly on that causes bottlenecking.
I mean true I get that but also from what it seems like is that the console seriously is under powered. Because they just added "variable 10.28TF" which sounds like it legitimately doesn't hit that number all the time and is actually more 9.2

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Dictator or Dark1x, what do you mean by this?
"It's really important to clarify the PlayStation 5's use of variable frequencies. It's called 'boost' but it should not be compared with similarly named technologies found in smartphones, or even PC components like CPUs and GPUs. There, peak performance is tied directly to thermal headroom, so in higher temperature environments, gaming frame-rates can be lower - sometimes a lot lower.

So how does boost work in this case? Put simply, the PlayStation 5 is given a set power budget tied to the thermal limits of the cooling assembly. "It's a completely different paradigm," says Cerny. "Rather than running at constant frequency and letting the power vary based on the workload, we run at essentially constant power and let the frequency vary based on the workload."

An internal monitor analyses workloads on both CPU and GPU and adjusts frequencies to match. While it's true that every piece of silicon has slightly different temperature and power characteristics, the monitor bases its determinations on the behaviour of what Cerny calls a 'model SoC' (system on chip) - a standard reference point for every PlayStation 5 that will be produced."

Intel has been doing this for the longest with their turbo technology correct?

The availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature
  • Drive support

Oct 25, 2017
not bad, not bad at all.

SSD speed is insane.

MS must be happy having the higher numbers [mostly].

but yeah, it's a 16% difference or so, really not a huge deal but at least MS gets their "beefy hardware" narrative back.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017
What's the closet PC GPU to PS5/X TF performance? (Sorry I know they can't be compared directly but just looking at numbers purely)

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Guys come on, this is ridiculous.

When PS5 "was" 13 TFLOPS last week some of yall were hanging from the rafters and crying tears of laughter

Now PS5 IS 10 TFLOPS and suddenly it doesn't matter, give me a break...

It will be a good machine no doubt, but don't suddenly act like GPU/CPU doesn't matter, not to mention the huge gap in CU's

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Slightly faster loading times vs more powerful CPU GPU?

Lmao it is the other way around. MUCH faster loading times and slightly weaker gpu/cpu on the PS5.
different point of views i guess, i absolutely don't care if the game load in 3 sec instead of 6 but it do care if the game is on full4k or stable 60 frame instead of Almost4k and unstable 60 frame...

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
The difference between the 2 consoles is going to be sod all in real world games, but it could mean PS5 is the cheaper box because of it's differences.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
2Y44kqu.png

Here's a table of comparison for the specs.

Please note that hardware specs don't always mean that performance will be better, etc. There is a ton of behind the scenes, not on paper things developed for each respective system to perform at different thresholds.
Thanks for this. Xbox has the stronger spec by a small margin in every category except IO Throughput, which PS5 has double the speed? Listening to Cerny go on about SSD speed makes me really wonder what the final result will be from game to game on either platform. Am I right in saying that certain designs will require SSD speeds like this?

Overall it feels like these are 2 incredible beasts and 'the best platform to play' will largely depend on the game and the developer. Value wise these specs feel about equal to me, with Xbox maybe having the edge but I could see a dev coming out with an amazing game and pointing at the PS5 SSD as the reason for what they're able to do. It really is a wild card to me that will come down to the games themselves to prove. Price, games, and features are going to be key tipping points for me. Kudos to Xbox for launching with this beast though. It's the first time since the first Xbox that it feels like they're making a core gamers console that stands toe to toe on power.

Lets see the games!

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Idk, but I'm completely underhyped with this console and I'm saying that as a die-hard PS fan.

It's like if they have disappointed me in every aspect, BC included.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
I could've handled them bullshitting the TF and CPU numbers by listing peaks, but the BC news is what killed this console for me. PS will now be relegated to an exclusives only box for me.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
I didn't really follow the next-gen speculation thread so this looks fine to me? Especially with Sony seemingly looking to target a more affordable price point without significant losses to console power. And from what I'm reading, the power difference apparently isn't as significant as it was with the base XONE and PS4.

(I'm just glad my PC is safe from both consoles for now lmao.)

Huggie

Oct 22, 2018
I reckon they've shat themselves and increased the clocks. That GPU clock speed is nuts! No way its hits that for any long period of time. No way in hell! Its gonna be more like a 9TF machine unless its cooling is as loud as a hoover.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox Series X is hands-down the more powerful machine, but it is seemingly a more simplistic approach - lots of brute power. The PS5 is the 'weaker' of the two, but has been developed with lots of systems and tricks designed to allow devs to squeeze more out of it. Or at least, that's how it seems so far.

Sony received a lot of well-deserved praise for creating a simple, powerful system in the PS4, while Xbox received criticism for the ESRSM. It is confusing to me why Sony made a much more paradigm shifting device with the PS5. Almost like the roles were reversed.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Interesting that the PS5 has faster SSD read speeds, yet also allows for off the self PC SSDs. I wonder why Microsoft requires a proprietary expansion card? Is it just a money grab?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Will non-Nintendo developers finally focus on compression this gen?

Because with 4K textures, about 6 games will fit on that SSD and the memory cards will probably be >$100 each.
They didn't care this one they won't care next 🤭
Younger developers just don't have the experience of working with strict space limitations so they just won't spend time optimizing their files.

Outside of maybe a few Japanese developers and indies

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, but I'm completely underhyped with this console and I'm saying that as a die-hard PS fan.

It's like if they have disappointed me in every aspect, BC included.

It's not great for PC gamers, either... They've been bottlenecked by consoles for years... and this doesn't move the needle as much as one might have hoped.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Use it to what degree though? Sony may be planning on launching their exclusives on PC this gen, which will mostly be using slower drives than what's present in the PS5
Eh I still dont think we gonna get that many games on PC, I still believe Horizon is only being ported due to the collab with Hideo Kojima during the creation of the game. Death Stranding was always gonna be a cross-platform game, Sony probably thought it would be cost effective to do 2 games then 1.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
with the backwards compatibility bullshit and less power this better be $399.......if the series X is only $100 more this might be the first time i go green again in the start of the gen since Xbox 360

what a turn around, man this feels like a fuck up on Sony's part. Other than the NVMe slot which is much better than the proprietary expansion.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I was always buying both. I bit disappointed by the specs, but also very intrigued by the SSD. Those exclusives will be insane.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Makes sense why MS put so much emphasis on the XSX clocks being "locked". This is bad stuff. Cerny really screwed up with this system.

Not sure it's as much as Cerny screwing up as MS got everything right. Since they have let their Surface team run wild on hardware design (which includes the Xbox 1 X and the Series X), they have really been knocking it out of the park.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
MS explains how their system works and the neat APIs and small things they're doing to make the XSX optimal.

Forums: "Seems the XSX is brute-forcing it"

lol okaaay

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
People saying they are disappointed are crazy. There will be little difference between the games on each console. Maybe if both were targeting 1080p but not when most the power of both will try to reach 4K

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
343, Turn 10, Playground, Coalition and Ninja Theory are very strong when it comes to visually impressive games.
I think Forza might be MS most visually impressive game, but it's not really one we talk about when that topic comes up. It's usually TLOU/ND who dominates that conversation, no?

Of course things could change this generation.

This makes sense. Yes it does.
Lmfao.

Ok I don't understand about hardware. Is there going to be some dynamic code happening bts, to make use of XB extra power? In my head third parties will go for parity with PS5, just because it sounds like it would be easier.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the PS5 has faster SSD read speeds, yet also allows for off the self PC SSDs. I wonder why Microsoft requires a proprietary expansion card? Is it just a money grab?

No, PS5 SSDs will have to be Sony certified. They both have requirements for 3rd party storage, Xbox is licensing tech while Sony is certifying.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
User banned (1 month): Platform wars. Trolling. History of similar behavior.
Welcome to the silicone lottery PS5 edition people, good luck!

Literally Digital Foundry will not be able to get an average framerate on games because it will depend ona system to system basis.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the way Cerny made it sound, CUs are important than teraflops because it results in a faster GPU. PS5 could very well end up having better performance for most games.