• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
a commercial m.2 even PCIE4.0 cost an absolute fortune. Corsairs is like 200 pounds for 1TB and thats 4500 peak or something. It's going to be an absolute nightmare.

well both were obviously stuck within a rock and hard place

Sony just said there's not going to be anything available for expansion at launch but later on they'll have better options

MS just said f that and made their own which might be at a premium... we don't know yet.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is giving up a lot on the CPU and GPU front. That's not ideal but it is likely not going to matter in the market, Sony's lead on exclusives and mindshare is near-insurmountable at this point. This console will need to be cheaper at these specs than the next Xbox, I agree with most posters on that.

Just ... please just have a solid cooling solution. I would appreciate them not to make Pro take #2 this time.

LOL yeah, that's a concern for me as well. My Pro is a jet engine when it gets going.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I concerned about varaible clocks. Now when your ps5 get dust accumulated inside overtime, not only it gets louder but possibly slower too just like laptops do.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm satisfied by this. It doesnt seen like Sony is cheating out at all

I wouldnt be shocked if both systems come in at 499

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Highly doubt there will be much a discernable difference between the SSD loading times for the average user. Same can be said for the teraflops tbh.
Just happy that both companies are coming out with monsters. That X1 and PS4 were meh the day they released.

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
Yeah, to me this seems like the only place Sony (and really, any platform) can make up ground is through the games. I expect aggressive/subsidized pricing from Microsoft, they've got the on-paper numbers in their favour (even if in actuality performance is similar), and they've got Game Pass and more experience upscaling experiences to better hardware.

Now that PS5 hasn't come out swinging like many of us had hoped, I'm looking forward to seeing if Sony comes with it with killer first-party titles. It's one of their historical strengths against Microsoft, but I don't think they've ever needed it more. Certainly wasn't the case for PS2, PS3, or PS4.
Very true but I would think the first party offering from Xbox will be greatly improved with the studios they've acquired. There'll be amazing games across both platforms.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the XSX will be more expensive but I always prefered to dish up a little extra for performance

Wonder if the difference will be 50$ or 100$

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Spec list comparison from Series X + PS5.

JVgd12B.png

So if the "variable frequency" indicates a boost clock for the GPU, what does that mean for the Zen 2 cores? Is 3.5 Ghz a boost clock as well?

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
In terms of hardware, what this stream is about.
You might want to look at the first post they responded to, as I was originally putting this hardware nonsense that only leads to fans of either platform to whine at each other into perspective by stressing the importance of games. I'm aware what this thread's originally about, but folks shouldn't totally lose sight of what's really important about consoles, even if this may be specifically about specs and specs alone.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. We'll see how that holds up with real world performance and head-to-head comparisons with multiplatform titles on the Xbox Series X. If the difference is more than marginal, there's always the eventual Pro upgrade down the line.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Need dummies explanation.

technically you'd get close to having an absolutely zero redundancy game (with some exceptions)

all content would be unique and you'd spend a lot less time working within the constraints of memory as they can purge data as soon as it's removed off screen

but most people aren't going to notice this

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sounds good spec wise! Looks like they are aiming for $399 which makes sense honestly. I doubt the majority of console gamer are going to want to spend north of $500 on a console.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Well I hope they have some kind of trick up their sleeve aside from the SSD, because this seems like a really unbalanced (maybe even poorly designed) system.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I heard him mention the improvements with space, but I don't speak Cerny. As long as the ps5 Isn't complete shit on allocating Drive space like the ps4 is I'll be content. I hate having almost 150GBs free on my Pro, and it yelling at me that I can't install a 60GB game because fuck you delete something Before I can install the game message I constantly get now.