• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 23, 2018
Sony better hope they can get the price down below a series X. But I think both of these are going to end up at $500, and if MS has Lockhart at $300 Sony will not be the once dominant player it was this gen

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that the 2.23 Ghz is a temporary "boost" clock?

If it's running most of the time at 2 Ghz then yeah, GitHub was right.

Yes it's in the OP

In his presentation, Mark Cerny freely admits that CPU and GPU won't always be running at 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz respectively.

"When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor," he explains. "All things considered, the change to a variable frequency approach will show significant gains for PlayStation gamers."

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if PS5 and even PCs all adopt that Series X 1TB "expansion card"

I'm curious about the thought process behind 825 GB. 825GB sounds bigger than 1TB in marketing? I guess? Just seems like a strange choice not to round up to 1TB unless they're REALLY cutting any corner possible to hit a certain pricepoint for the console, and that 175GB made the difference lol

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine that if the GPU upclocks to 2.25ghz the CPU will drop.

I really, really hope this thing isn't loud.

Yeah, I think you're right on the money. Reading the Eurogamer piece it seems that the system will have a total power\thermal budget and will adjust clocks accordingly. The numbers Sony gave are the maximum frequencies for each part.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Spec list comparison from Series X + PS5.

JVgd12B.png
thanks for this, the I/o speed seems nuts

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I mean. People are looking at the CPU and GPU numbers, which they don't really understand in the first place, and coming out with "weaker than the Xbox Series X, it better be 399". huh? Listening to the talk and reading the Eurogamer article, this is going to be a premium product for a premium price.

Didn't they effectively say exactly that as well?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question, for whom they made this presentation? If it is for devs these are basic things explained in basic way so it looks like "explain me like i am five" to devs. If it is for consumers this is boring.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
VpGXJxH.png

Here's a table of comparison for the specs.

Please note that hardware specs don't always mean that performance will be better, etc. There is a ton of behind the scenes, not on paper things developed for each respective system to perform at different thresholds.
Missing IO throughput ?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I mean. People are looking at the CPU and GPU numbers, which they don't really understand in the first place, and coming out with "weaker than the Xbox Series X, it better be 399". huh? Listening to the talk and reading the Eurogamer article, this is going to be a premium product for a premium price.

Well it'll only take however long it takes for 3-4 multiplatform games to release before people start seeing a pattern to performance if there is one.

I personally do not think insanely fast SSDs will bring much over really fast SSDs, versus a 20% spec bump, but we'll see when the time comes.

What matters most to me is instant resuming, VRR, and 4k HDR and 60-120 fps.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm very prepared for those who were most outrageously aggressive about the Github believers to make with the "I don't play specs, I play GAMES" arguments in the discussion threads from here on out.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Price is going to be interesting. If MS match Sony's price then its going to be one hell of a race.

Given Sony's momentum I don't wouldn't expect much of a race even if they had the same price. 825GB vs. 1TB is about all you can communicate to the majority of the audience to differentiate the two as far as specs are concerned.

Erimriv

Oct 30, 2017
Interested so see their cooling solution for that GPU clocks. Anyway I'll get the Xbox Series X since Im subscribed to gamepass until 2021.

ABrokenToy

Nov 19, 2017
VpGXJxH.png

Please note that hardware specs don't always mean that performance will be better, etc. There is a ton of behind the scenes, not on paper things developed for each respective system to perform at different thresholds.
I believe the memory bus is 320-Bit on XSX.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
So basically the XSX is more powerful / faster in all aspects except SSD speeds. Won't lie, that's pretty disappointing. At the very least was hoping for 11 TF and not even a full 1TB drive? Hype deflated somewhat.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Seeing the differences in the specs I realized I know shit about this. Will I be able to see a difference on my games? Will it be like the PS4 vs XBO?

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Despite being slower than Xbox X, I think those specs are really good. Console wars were inevitable from the beginning, and it seems this gen around MS will have the upper hand graphics wise.

Not that it matters that much.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Just ... please just have a solid cooling solution. I would appreciate them not to make Pro take #2 this time.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The variable clock speeds make me feel like this system will be really loud whenever it approaches the speeds they listed.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
People are looking at the CPU and GPU numbers, which they don't really understand in the first place, and coming out with "weaker than the Xbox Series X, it better be 399". huh? Listening to the talk and reading the Eurogamer article, this is going to be a premium product for a premium price.

indeed. As with dark1x's tweet; Sony is approaching it from a different angle. And according to the EG article:

Sony's pitch is essentially this: a smaller GPU can be a more nimble, more agile GPU, the inference being that PS5's graphics core should be able to deliver performance higher than you may expect from a TFLOPs number that doesn't accurately encompass the capabilities of all parts of the GPU. Developers work to the power limits of the SoC, their workloads affecting frequencies on the fly - but it's those factors that impact the clock speeds, not ambient temperatures.

Cerny acknowledges that thermal solutions on prior generation hardware may not have been optimal, but the concept of operating to a set power budget makes the concept of heat dissipation an easier task to handle, despite the impressive clocks coming from the CPU and GPU.

"In some ways, it becomes a simpler problem because there are no more unknowns," Cerny says in his presentation. "There's no need to guess what power consumption the worst case game might have. As for the details of the cooling solution, we're saving them for our teardown - I think you'll be quite happy with what the engineering team came up with."

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
works the same way as XSX

USB will be for back compat

SSD / expandability slot will be for PS5/XSX games

a commercial m.2 even PCIE4.0 cost an absolute fortune. Corsairs is like 200 pounds for 1TB and thats 4500 peak or something. It's going to be an absolute nightmare.

THey have huge heatsinks, he is talking about it now. they get so hot. this seems bad!

Not even ready for launch, oh dear. Bad, bad times.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I don't particularly care which of these machines is more powerful. I buy Sony consoles for Sony exclusives, same with Nintendo. MS is nice enough to spread the love to PC.

Consoles for exclusives, PC for everything else.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Amazing to see the doom and gloom in here in regards to the spec sheet.

I don't like how Sony handled the PS5 info stream but I can say for sure none of this will really matter as long as the games on both platforms deliver.

At the moment it does seem like the XSX will for sure be the better device to an enthusiast who values performance primarily.

Can't wait to see how they use these SSDs, especially the one in the PS5. Good lord.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer said they won't want to get beaten on power or price this time around.
Yeah, to me this seems like the only place Sony (and really, any platform) can make up ground is through the games. I expect aggressive/subsidized pricing from Microsoft, they've got the on-paper numbers in their favour (even if in actuality performance is similar), and they've got Game Pass and more experience upscaling experiences to better hardware.

Now that PS5 hasn't come out swinging like many of us had hoped, I'm looking forward to seeing if Sony comes with it with killer first-party titles. It's one of their historical strengths against Microsoft, but I don't think they've ever needed it more. Certainly wasn't the case for PS2, PS3, or PS4.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
VpGXJxH.png

Why did you omit IO speed when it was a key piece Cerny focused on in his talk? It seems like a big differentiator according to him and Digital Foundry.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
A game can load faster on PS5 in real world terms. Presuming nothing else is bottlenecking that loading.

Cheers. That's what I thought - just wanted to be sure. Cerny's examples are tough to follow since this is meant for a developer.

isn't that what cerny has been doing for the past ten minutes?

Cerny is tough to follow at times - not all of us are familiar enough with specs to know exactly what this entails.