• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why Sony would want to keep the price the same 7 years later. Accounting for inflation alone, $400 in 2013 would be $444 today, not to mention plenty of gamers would be willing to pay more for power.
They had wild success with the PS4 launching $399.99. Not surprising they want to repeat that with the PS5.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
That SSD size....

And people were bitching about running out of space on the Series X....

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Sony better hope MS doesn't match them in price. Lockhart also becomes a much bigger deal now.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Console warriors out shamelessly in this thread, as expected. Both are powerful and very capable boxes and will make for amazing next-gen machines. Yes, the XSX is faster, and likely more expensive, as a premium SKU. Both will be wonderfully competitive and make for a vivid gaming landscape the new few years.

well in fairness people have had a generation of such numbers laughed at from the Sony diehard, people are going to rub it in.

Hotsuma

Oct 28, 2017
I just need Sony and MS to announce their prices so preorders can start. I think I'm going to go with a Series X first so I can use up my Gamestop credit.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so will a HDD external drive run PS5 games or will that only be limited to backwards compatible games?

It's likely the same as Series X, PS5 exclusive titles must be on the internal or whatever expansion cards they have. Externals would be limited to BC and PS5 game storage.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
So, what does the variable frequency means ? Because it sure is a fast GPU clock... Not sure the 10TF+ will be real in gaming conditions, the wording sure is weird.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know why people are suggesting that these are $399 specs...

Just a few months with these rumored specs, most of you same people were saying $499.

What has now changed?

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess this confirms they were completely caught off guard by Microsoft and tried to push clocks as much as possible right? I just can't imagine 2.25ghz being the target from the beginning

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh this just screams "cheap"

variable frequency? The are really trying ro make that into something POSITIVE? It is an awful design choice

now we understand why microsoft made a point that they never drop frequency in xbx :)

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Surprised it actually weaker than the Xbox Series X. Thought they would be pretty much the same. The pricing issue articles make more sense now.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
That SSD is going cost a bit me thinks but this gen is going to be amazing. Cant wait !

Oct 27, 2017
So raw power the XSX is more powerful but the PS5 has a faster IO. Will be interesting to see how cross platform games perform.

Also those speeds indicate this is definitely PCIe Gen4 drives that aren't available yet. I would definitely wait on buying a NVMe right now. I wonder if Sony has some custom silicon in the board to prevent bottleneck.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needed to lean on their BC solution which was multiples of 18 with variable clocks. Github confirmed this and Sony doesn't want a $499 console.

I don't know why everyone has continued to disagree with this from the beginning.

There was a logic that some of us have been pitching for awhile.