• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pre-orders happening today?

• Yes

Votes: 431 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 628 59.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
OK, before I head off to work:

What I hope to see:
- Demon's Souls and Miles Morales confirmed as launch titles
- £450 for the regular edition (I don't care about the DE)
- Confirmed 4K/60fps patches for games like TLoU:P2 and Ghost of Tshushima
- Some tease for a big new title we didn't know about yesterday (that isn't FFXVI)
- A good showcase of the UI

Honestly I can see most of those happening, so I think I've set my expectations fairly sensibly.

Enjoy the show, everyone! So annoyed I won't be around to watch it with you all but, hey, that's life :(

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
There's no way it's not $499/$399. It has to. It's the only price that makes sense. Excited to see what other games they have in store.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
My guess: $349 PS5 Digital, $449 PS5 disc

Cuts close to the Series S, undercuts the Series X.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I want the prices and I want a mild surprise or two, that's all. I will not be surprised if I don't get any of that.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Confirmed 4K/60fps patches for games like TLoU:P2 and Ghost of Tshushima

I would also love to see this. I have a whole bunch of unfinished PS4 games (currently working through GoT) so anything around the PS5 boosting backwards compatible games or just the backwards compatibility in general would be great.

I know stuff like that isn't always top priority or 'new and shiny' but early days in a console launch, when there are usually limited games, really solid back compat would make a big difference.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
If they did it would piss everybody off. There's no good reason to withhold that information anymore now that we know what Microsoft is doing and EVERYONE has been pestering them online about this everywhere for weeks if not months. Now is the time.
I definitely think they will give the price/date because otherwise it will leak from retailers anyway, but whether there are good reasons to hold a couple week longer is complicated.

I just saw Alanah Pearce in a podcast calling the S the "optical-less Xbox" and predicted the "optical-less PS5" will need to be 299 to compete. The misunderstanding is becoming widespread. So I think Sony needs to set the record straight about the DE value proposition in this showcase, and at the same time announce the price. They must make sure to link the two pieces of information together.

The problem is basically:

- Our console is the least expensive console
- "But how much worse do the games look?"
- Ah... wait....

- Our console is 2.5x more powerful than the competing "least expensive" console
- "But how much does it cost?"
- Ah... wait....

They are still stuck, there's no next-gen footage to compare to establish the value proposition.

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
That's one hell of a loss though and I really don't think they would take that large of a loss unless they needed to

But they need to. They can't afford to lose market share like that, specially when those loses can easily be recouped in a year (and it's profit from there on). If the PS5 is more expensive than the XBX it will lose A LOT of people. And if the PS5DE is 449 the series S is an absurd deal that takes the "cheap console variant" on a homerun for the normal customer.

Remember, the Playstation sells like it does a lot because everyone has one. In Europe the PlayStation is gigantic because that's what everyone has. If you go buy a console you want to buy something where your friends are playing. It's not about the games as much as you think in there. If there's a shift this generation it could be quite bad for them.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
MJBnyBS.jpg

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hope for $449 or less but I genuinely believe these consoles are $549 and $499. I think MS knew the price before they announced/leaked and knew they had to come in where they did to win the "value" perception.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I definitely think they will because otherwise it will leak from retailers anyway, but whether there are good reasons to hold a couple week longer is complicated.

I just saw Alanah Pearce in a podcast calling the S the "optical-less Xbox" and predicted the "optical-less PS5" will need to be 299 to compete. The misunderstanding is becoming widespread. So I think Sony needs to set the record straight about the DE value proposition in this showcase, and at the same time announce the price. They must make sure to link the two pieces of information together.

The problem is basically:

- Our console is the least expensive console
- "But how much worse do the games look?"
- Ah... wait....

- Our console is 2.5x more powerful than the competing "least expensive" console
- "But how much does it cost?"
- Ah... wait....

They are still stuck, there's no next-gen footage to compare to establish the value proposition.
She's well aware of the differences I don't have a clue what she's trying to do here, maybe she's thinking through the lense of a casual?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Will we get an announcement that the final Demon's Souls box art wont look as atrocious as the placeholder does?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
She's well aware of the differences I don't have a clue what she's trying to do here, maybe she's thinking through the lense of a casual?

Probably. I've heard it said a few times in my friend group, anecdotally. 2 of my friends are all in on "discless" just because they think discs are too old-school now. I don't think it's clear to people that the "discless" xbox is less powerful than the "discless" PS5. And Microsoft's tiny bit of marketing obfuscation about this is something that could be a problem for Sony if they don't hit the right price.

Status
Not open for further replies.