• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Numbers would be mind-blowing if they had actually managed to sell it to every person that wants one. Curious to see how it will compare to PS4 after a year when hopefully supply will be meeting demand.

Oct 25, 2017
Thx.

I except PS5 to be much higher in March 2022, easily +20M
PS4's peak year was 20M exactly, and didn't happen till 2016. I wouldn't say it's a shoe in to surpass that. Shipping 20M in one FY is a big ask. But if they can get Horizon and GOW out by the end of the fiscal year (and they can manufacture enough lol) it's certainly feasible.

PS4 shipments by year for comparison:

FY3/14 - 7.5M / 7.5M
FY3/15 - 14.8M / 22.3M
FY3/16 - 17.7M / 40.0M
FY3/17 - 20.0M / 60.0M
FY3/18 - 19.0M / 79.0M
FY3/19 - 17.8M / 96.8My
FY3/20 - 13.6M / 110.4M

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
PS4's peak year was 20M exactly, and didn't happen till 2016. I wouldn't say it's a shoe in to surpass that. Shipping 20M in one FY is a big ask. But if they can get Horizon and GOW out by the end of the fiscal year (and they can manufacture enough lol) it's certainly feasible.

PS4 shipments by year for comparison:

FY3/14 - 7.5M / 7.5M
FY3/15 - 14.8M / 22.3M
FY3/16 - 17.7M / 40.0M
FY3/17 - 20.0M / 60.0M
FY3/18 - 19.0M / 79.0M
FY3/19 - 17.8M / 96.8My
FY3/20 - 13.6M / 110.4M

We have switch numbers in comparaison ?

I see first Q2 for switch is less than Xbox one, when did it start to climb significantly?

Oct 25, 2017
We have switch numbers in comparaison ?

I see first Q2 for switch is less than Xbox one, when did it start to climb significantly?
Yep. The comparison to PS4 is a little wonky though, because it launched in March, so it has 4 less months comparatively.

NSW:
FY 3/17 - 2.74M / 2.74M
FY 3/18 - 15.05M / 17.79M
FY 3/19 - 16.95M / 34.74M
FY 3/20 - 21.03M / 55.77M

FY 3/21 is going to be ridiculous though lol. They're already at 24.1M units this fiscal year (LTD 79.87M) before even accounting for their last quarter. Even a bare minimum of them hitting their projections of another 2.4M to get to their 26.5M would be way ahead of any singular year the Switch and PS4 have ever had, and they're pretty likely to smash that forecast.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That's nuts. I can't imagine the shit they had to pull to make this happen in a pandemic.

With less restraint they might have hit 10m.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I think production is going to be the limiting factor. I have to imagine they would have loved to have shipped more so far, but that production limited them from shipping more. For all we know it doesn't look like shortages are going to ease up this year so at this point it's a complete wildcard.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The big question is can they produce fast enough to meet demand for next Christmas. Some articles suggests TSMC will be less crunched in Q3 but not clear if 7nm production will still be backlogged.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is a beast and is another guaranteed 100+ million seller. Funny thing is that a week or more ago this place was doom and gloom as people were talking about "narratives" and the age of Sony being over. Silliness, especially now with these incredible record breaking numbers we are seeing here. The only narrative is that the PS5 is a massive success and the ball is Sony's to lose.
Wtf no one was talking about the age of Sony being over.

There was just this one opinion piece (which was totally fine, even when I don't agree with it in some parts) and otherwise fair criticism about the closure of all PS legacy stores.

The criticism over the web helped as we know, because Sony changed their plans. But the "narrative" thing/meme was dragged along in every Sony thread since then and by now it feels really cringey because as far as I know no one is actually arguing in favor of it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I never understand the discussion that comes around about 'imagine how much they could sell if there wasn't shortages'.

Nearly every console comes out to a load of hype and could probably match or exceed the previous record of initial sales if they could produce enough units. No one actually decides 'we could make more and know we would sell them but let's reduce units at launch'.

The more impressive thing is them being able to actually produce more units than the PS4 during a global pandemic and massive chip shortages.

Gonna be real interesting to see how production can be ramped up and when plus how long the hype will continue. At the moment it looks like it won't be stopping for a long while. The good thing for Sony too is that by the time lots of people will be vaccinated and wanting to travel etc (so have less money), they should still have some big first party games to show off (Horizon and maybe Factions) to keep the hype going.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Really impressive numbers. It would be nice a breakdown between disc and digital numbers.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I see what you did there

fdf.gif

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Well done to Sony. Amazing numbers even with all the shortages. It's a hell of a brand that doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pretty crazy to think it might be almost a year old, or who knows, maybe even longer before it is readily available.
Covid sure made people hungry for a new toy to play with.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
There has been no supply in the Netherlands for the whole month of april, it's ridiculous.

I get it though. The PS4 was hotshit, Playstation exclusives are awesome and the DualSense is cool.

I just wish I could get my hands on a PS5 without competing with bots and having to act in a nanosecond :(

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I never understand the discussion that comes around about 'imagine how much they could sell if there wasn't shortages'.

Nearly every console comes out to a load of hype and could probably match or exceed the previous record of initial sales if they could produce enough units. No one actually decides 'we could make more and know we would sell them but let's reduce units at launch'.

The more impressive thing is them being able to actually produce more units than the PS4 during a global pandemic and massive chip shortages.

Gonna be real interesting to see how production can be ramped up and when plus how long the hype will continue. At the moment it looks like it won't be stopping for a long while. The good thing for Sony too is that by the time lots of people will be vaccinated and wanting to travel etc (so have less money), they should still have some big first party games to show off (Horizon and maybe Factions) to keep the hype going.

PS4 (previous record holder) was pretty widely available by this point so it had almost met the demand with 7.5 million shipments after two quarters (Europe had still some shortages). PS5 is still sold out everywhere despite shipping bit more. There is much more untapped sales with PS5 than there was with PS4.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
PS4 (previous record holder) was pretty widely available by this point so it had almost met the demand with 7.5 million shipments after two quarters (Europe had still some shortages). PS5 is sold out everywhere despite shipping bit more. There is much more untapped sales with PS5 than there was with PS4.
I agree with you, but that wasn't the point I was making.

It was about people constantly saying "imagine how much they could have sold if they could have made more consoles" when at that point both the PS4 and ps5 were selling out every unit. That is a pointless discussion to have in my opinion.

It makes more sense to discuss about how long the continued high demand will keep going or to praise the production capabilities during a pandemic and chip shortages rather than wonder how many consoles a maker could have sold in the initial few months when it's mostly determined by production capabilities rather than total demand.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, but that wasn't the point I was making.

It was about people constantly saying "imagine how much they could have sold if they could have made more consoles" when at that point both the PS4 and ps5 were selling out every unit. That is a pointless discussion to have in my opinion.

It makes more sense to discuss about how long the continued high demand will keep going or to praise the production capabilities during a pandemic and chip shortages rather than wonder how many consoles a maker could have sold in the initial few months when it's mostly determined by production capabilities rather than total demand.

PS4 was not selling out every unit by this point though. Only in specific regions (Europe) and even there it was much easier to find PS4 than PS5 currently. In US and Japan it was already widely available.

Oct 27, 2017
If they could get Horizon 2 out this fall, and GOW/GT7 by late spring 2022, damn that will really keep momentum once they can actually make enough units to meet demand.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Are people saying "during a global pandemic" implying that the pandemic should decrease demand? Because i don't think that's how it works.

Now, the semiconductor shortage, that's certainly a factor that further makes it supply constrained.

This. Demand seems to be up across the board because of the pandemic. Whatever voodoo they are doing to actually make adequate amount of consoles at this time is mind boggling. I am really curious to see what "would have been" if we didn't have supply shortages across the world.

BetoJR

Apr 27, 2020
Fortaleza - CE, Brazil
And in Brazil they are still folklore.

Just imagine when the supply increase in every market...

Thank God I got mine at launch.

I can only find websites selling them for R$8.000,00, and I think they are scams lol

I have a friend who bought one at the same time as me, at launch, received it and promptly sold it to someone else, for that price.
A few days later, he bought another one on Amazon. Lucky SOB (and I mean that for actually managing to buy another one, not for reselling at almost double the price).

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
PS4 was not selling out every unit by this point though. Only in specific regions (Europe) and even there it was much easier to find PS4 than PS5 currently. In US and Japan it was already widely available.
Maybe not right at this point but it's a common comment I have seen here since the console first released. Not a big deal though mind just feels a bit silly.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Are people saying "during a global pandemic" implying that the pandemic should decrease demand? Because i don't think that's how it works.

Now, the semiconductor shortage, that's certainly a factor that further makes it supply constrained.
That Is not what people are talking about when they talk about the pandemic. Its about the difficulty getting the system out there or how devs still having to adjust to it.

Shortage of parts the logistics of shipping worldwide during a pandemic is a recipe for disaster.