• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I use folders a lot on my PS4! It's absence on the PS5 day one isn't too much of a hassle for me, despite the fact that I have a massive library of PS4 titles (about 400 last I checked; a mix of disc and digital).

Looking at what the console is doing on the UI side, I can see how something like folders, or quick resume may have fallen down the priority list for launch. Not that those features were never considered (I mean, the PS5 UI is an evolution of the PS4 UI, so it's a no brainer that the PS4's Suspend function would evolve into quick resume, and the handy Folders function would carry over).

I think Sony's priority has been in getting the new UI features, the ones that enhance the experience on the new console in a way that was unique compared to the PS4, took top priority and the focus to get right (ie, activity cards, the switcher, the integrated PS Store, and whatever PS Now has morphed into, which I assume we'll learn about next week).

When was the last time a current gen console stopped having QoL improvement updates? It's not like the PS5 UI day one is going to be the only iteration of that UI we get. Once the stress of launch is behind them, I absolutely guarantee they'll continue to build on it. I mean, hell, it's already been confirmed that Quick Resume will be a thing.

There's nothing wrong with wanting these things, and we should most certainly voice our interest in these things on the PS5, but I can't imagine it being a case of Sony being negligent, but more laser focusing on the aspects of the experience that set it apart from the PS4, and having those features function up to spec, then layering back in "legacy" functionality over time. That's just my two cents on the matter, at least.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully folders are easy to add. I can see them working within the current design as 'library' equivalents so they can also have their own filtering/sort options. I also hope they allow more than 8 icons - wonder what the thinking was behind that?

B-Man

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there another BC mode called boost mode or something like that? not just the "run in the PS4Pro mode"?
If there was, do we have any information about it?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone bothered to record 3D audio through the DualSense's 3.5mm jack? Really interested in hearing how it stacks up to other virtual 3d sound solutions. Also interested in reading how it compares to the DS4's jack in terms of volume output, if there are impressions of that.

p.s. I can't believe Tempest only works that way or through USB, for now.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Has anyone been able to tell how the Game Library handles non-game downloads like artbooks and soundtracks?

It seems like the "Hide from Library" option is missing at launch, so I'm curious if I'll have a lot of non-game items scattered throughout my game library.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I use folders a lot on my PS4! It's absence on the PS5 day one isn't too much of a hassle for me, despite the fact that I have a massive library of PS4 titles (about 400 last I checked; a mix of disc and digital).

Looking at what the console is doing on the UI side, I can see how something like folders, or quick resume may have fallen down the priority list for launch. Not that those features were never considered (I mean, the PS5 UI is an evolution of the PS4 UI, so it's a no brainer that the PS4's Suspend function would evolve into quick resume, and the handy Folders function would carry over).

I think Sony's priority has been in getting the new UI features, the ones that enhance the experience on the new console in a way that was unique compared to the PS4, took top priority and the focus to get right (ie, activity cards, the switcher, the integrated PS Store, and whatever PS Now has morphed into, which I assume we'll learn about next week).

When was the last time a current gen console stopped having QoL improvement updates? It's not like the PS5 UI day one is going to be the only iteration of that UI we get. Once the stress of launch is behind them, I absolutely guarantee they'll continue to build on it. I mean, hell, it's already been confirmed that Quick Resume will be a thing.

There's nothing wrong with wanting these things, and we should most certainly voice our interest in these things on the PS5, but I can't imagine it being a case of Sony being negligent, but more laser focusing on the aspects of the experience that set it apart from the PS4, and having those features function up to spec, then layering back in "legacy" functionality over time. That's just my two cents on the matter, at least.
This is a great summation about how I feel. These UIs are never the same in year 3 as they are in year 1 and priorization of new features is fine by me.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Has anyone bothered to record 3D audio through the DualSense's 3.5mm jack? Really interested in hearing how it stacks up to other virtual 3d sound solutions. Also interested in reading how it compares to the DS4's jack in terms of volume output, if there are impressions of that.

p.s. I can't believe Tempest only works that way or through USB, for now.

does it
Not work wirelessly with the Pulse 3D headset?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Really curious to see more about the PS3 game library via what appears to be PSNow. Also curious to see and hear more about UHD playback.

Are those embargos up Monday?

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Really curious to see more about the PS3 game library via what appears to be PSNow. Also curious to see and hear more about UHD playback.

Are those embargos up Monday?
If you play a game via PS Now on PS4 it just shows up on your game bar with its own icon, just like it was a normal game. Given the Library shows any game you own or have played, I would expect this is all it is.

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to streamplay the PS3 games I own digitally, and it really annoys me Sony doesn't offer this outside of a PS Now sub. It would be a great compromise for PS3 BC.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is a great summation about how I feel. These UIs are never the same in year 3 as they are in year 1 and priorization of new features is fine by me.

Yeah, exactly. To be honest, I don't even remember what the PS4 UI was like at the start of the gen. At the end of the day, I just want to be able to get into my games as smoothly as possible

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question. How does ps4 digital game license transfer work? Can I download my PS4 games on my ps5 using psn store then plau both same games on both ps4 and ps5 offline?

laser

Feb 17, 2018
It's what I read. I don't know about the Pulse 3D specifically, but I know that it doesn't do 3D audio over HDMI.
Pretty sure that's false. This review of the Pulse 3D explicitly talks about how good it is with Tempest.

www.gamesradar.com

PS5 Pulse 3D headset review: "A seamless way to get the most from your new console's audio"

The simplest and swiftest way to embrace PS5's new Tempest 3D AudioTech

It only works with headphones for now, but it works with all headphones that can connect to the PS5.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone confirmed that center part (black glossy part) is actually a film and can be peeled off, so it is actually matt surface? Or is this part glossy plastic entirely?

Oct 25, 2017
does it
Not work wirelessly with the Pulse 3D headset?
It's what I read. I don't know about the Pulse 3D specifically, but I know that it doesn't do 3D audio over HDMI.
I believe it should work wirelessly on the Pulse headset because it is technically connected to the console itself through USB. Tempest works when connecting either to the console or the controller jack, right?

I too am eager for it to work over HDMI as well.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
šŸ‘€

Still, the article is a pretty good analysis of critical consensus across the board, not to mention GameIndustry.biz' own take.

Jun 23, 2019
As in, in this thread? Or did it gets its own thread or something? I'm clearly late lol.

No, someone had posted the thread about this article earlier today and immediately it was swarmed with accusations of everything from Shuhei being a fanboy in the same vein as Greenberg to Game Industry being Sony shills, etc. It only made like 4 pages before it was locked and told to discuss in this thread because it was another PS5 review.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that if HZD ends up getting a 60fps patch, there's pretty much no reason for me to even bother with the (currently flawed) PC version. I don't really notice much above 1440p on my TV anyway, and the loading times should be comparable between the two.

Oh no, I didn't realise rottentomatoes 'consensus' nonsense made it to video games....

It's not really that far removed from having an aggregate score...which has been around well over two decades now. I'd also argue that at least having that much is better than just a generic number that many people will glance at and take at face value.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be able to afford a PS5, but only starting on Friday, not Thursday. Is there a small chance of some sites putting up stock then, or am I already dead? :(

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
not sure if this has been answered, but can you transfer multiple user accounts from ps4 to ps5? I have 2 user accounts on my PS4. One is the primary psn account while the other is a different psn account. I have different save files within each user account. Will i be able to transfer all this data onto PS5?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be able to afford a PS5, but only starting on Friday, not Thursday. Is there a small chance of some sites putting up stock then, or am I already dead? :(

Barring any extreme outliers:
Bb5z5lg.gif

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
No, someone had posted the thread about this article earlier today and immediately it was swarmed with accusations of everything from Shuhei being a fanboy in the same vein as Greenberg to Game Industry being Sony shills, etc. It only made like 4 pages before it was locked and told to discuss in this thread because it was another PS5 review.
How utterly pathetic, and predictable.

Xeonidus

ā€œFuck them kids.ā€
Oct 28, 2017
šŸ‘€

Still, the article is a pretty good analysis of critical consensus across the board, not to mention GameIndustry.biz' own take.

Mostly the sense I get as well reading reviews. People are excited for the PS5 despite some wrinkles. All this talk about arrogant Sony, not being full rdna2, missing gpu features, drawback of variable frequencies, overclocked gpu, and 9tf really came to nothing and clearly blown out of proportion.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
hopefully folders are easy to add. I can see them working within the current design as 'library' equivalents so they can also have their own filtering/sort options. I also hope they allow more than 8 icons - wonder what the thinking was behind that?
They probably just did some research on the number of different games the average user plays within a given time period, like Cerny mentioned in the Road to PS5 video when they were deciding on the size of the SSD, and ended up with 8-9. It's not like those of us with massive digital libraries are constantly switching between them all; I probably have ~300 titles but I'm usually playing like three or four games in a week at most.

I currently have all my PS4 games organized neatly into genre folders so it'll be different for sure, but having less than ten titles on the main dashboard might be limiting in a productive way and get me to focus. Like hey: I'm going to pick these 9 games and stick to them for the next month, etc.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
VRR is the most glaring flaw, but we know it's most likely due to the late certification of the official HDMI 2.1 specs (seriously, fuck you hdmi.org for taking so long). Otherwise, seems like Sony knocked it out of the park in delivering a proper next-gen experience.

Last edited:

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you have a bank account, you could create a Privacy.com account, link it, and then use a virtual card to buy a PS5. The transactions aren't debited from your bank account until the next business day at the earliest.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
As long as you have a bank account, you could create a Privacy.com account, link it, and then use a virtual card to buy a PS5. The transactions aren't debited from your bank account until the next business day at the earliest.
Huh. Had no clue something like this existed. I'll give it a shot, thank you!

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I have been scouring the net for any reports and nothing so far. If all else fails, I will test it with the Atom Dac whenever my PS5 is delivered this week and report back.

thanks! The one benefit of having to wait a week as an EU pleb :(

I actually can't see if my Jotuheim is UAC 1 or 2... I should try it on my PS4 today, I might just be completely safe anyway.

Feb 24, 2018
Has any of the reviews brought up whether you can transfer save data from the PS4 to the PS5, I've just read on Eurogamer you can't transfer PS5 game save data to USB. Also is their a way to clean the air vents and the fan without need to dismantle the PS5 like you did with the PS4?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
With the PS4, sony offered an extended warranty through them, regardless of where it was purchased.

I cant find info on the ps5. Are they offering this?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Any word on loading times on external NVMes (1050MB/sec.) compared to SATA III-SSDs for back compatible games?