• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
You made a point and I disputed your point to show how it doesn't hold water. Your example just doesn't work because it's flawed. Nobody said it was a trial but if you're going to support your argument, I have every right to show how your support doesn't work. That's how a discussion works.

I'm saying the way you can discredit a feature from being called basic and as more of a convenience feature can be applied to just about anything that goes beyond launching the game. If you're going to randomly pick something to qualify as basic while calling the other as convenience without defining the criteria to show how it fits either category, then you're doing it arbitrarily. Your support just made your argument worse rather than helping it. Nobody is saying basic features missing is going to doom the system or anything, but we can certainly call out basic functionality that is missing.

Getting back to the original point I made here to begin with, I think there's a reasonable argument to consider folders should be considered a basic feature by now, especially when every PlayStation system for the last 14 years has had it. At some point when a feature becomes normal and standard, and I dare say even expected, it is reasonable to consider it basic. A network port wasn't always on a console, but now it is so we consider that basic. An HDMI port wasn't always on consoles but now it is and we consider that basic. Surround sound wasn't always on consoles, but now it is and we consider that basic. In fact going back to the Switch, many railed against the Switch not supporting standard surround sound output that all other consoles has. It hasn't doomed the system but it was considered a basic sound output that was missing. So again, missing features doesn't doom a system even at a basic level. I don't think it's unreasonable to consider something as simple as folders, especially since we have just about the entire PS4 library coming over on day 1 to be a basic feature since people have used them over the course of the last 14 years. That is not an unreasonable stance to have to consider it a basic interface feature by now.
Standard isn't the same as basic. Comparing a hdmi port with a folder makes 0 sense. A hdmi port is considered basic today and a spdif or component output aren't anymore but were years ago.
A folder is convenient, and has become standard after launch for ps systems, but not at launch afaik.
However, considering that folders should be there at launch is fair, i don't argue about that. I use them myself, but complaining along with other features that don't seem to be high on the priority list and, on top of that, will probably come at some point, as if it is some dealbreaker, sorry but i don't buy that.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Christ no folders??
I have about 250 games, about 6 TBs on my external hard drive. So when I plug this thing into my ps5 it's just gonna be an unorganized list of 250 games? Fucking hell.
This REALLY baffles me. It's like people were clamoring for this forever on PS4 until it finally happened, and now you don't include it on PS5? FFS, you were designing a new dashboard from scratch, the least you could've done is take the best features from the last dashboard and implement them!

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
I've owned every playstation console and I've never used folders. I didn't even really know it's a thing. A UI feature being a must-have to you doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Standard isn't the same as basic. Comparing a hdmi port with a folder makes 0 sense. A hdmi port is considered basic today and a spdif or component output aren't anymore but were years ago.
A folder is convenient, and has become standard after launch for ps systems, but not at launch afaik.
However, considering that folders should be there at launch is fair, i don't argue about that. I use them myself, but complaining along with other features that don't seem to be high on the priority list and, on top of that, will probably come at some point, as if it is some dealbreaker, sorry but i don't buy that.

Basic and standard are synonyms. I wasn't directly comparing an HDMI port with a folder. I was comparing how features that didn't exist before or weren't considered basic or standard became them over time because of their constant implementation that they became expected features.

PS3 most certainly had folders at launch. Regressing OS features every generation isn't something we should be excusing especially a functionality such as folders. Nobody however is calling them a deal breaker though. You're making that up. Quote me who is saying that.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
The PS5 looks kinda unfinished when some of the basic features from PS4 are gone (savedatas backup, folders...) and also advertised stuff such as 8K or VRR is not available...

I hope there is firmware update next or next-next week at least for VRR....

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This REALLY baffles me. It's like people were clamoring for this forever on PS4 until it finally happened, and now you don't include it on PS5? FFS, you were designing a new dashboard from scratch, the least you could've done is take the best features from the last dashboard and implement them!
That seems to be the theme. A casualty of throwing everything out and starting anew. I'm guessing the full feature set from the PS4 will work it's way over over the next year or two.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 looks kinda unfinished when some of the basic features from PS4 are gone (savedatas backup, folders...) and also advertised stuff such as 8K or VRR is not available...

Folders weren't added to PS4 until years after launch. It's never a priority, but they'll come eventually.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
...so that means you have to jump in the argument and say, "Guys, guys, I don't even use it!"

Let people clamor for it. Or be upset about its absence.

I just find it a bit of an overreaction. Sure folders sound useful and having features removed is never fun (destiny 2 I'm looking at you) but it's not really going to impact the playability of the console.

Worst case scenario you have to wait a little while before loading your 250 legacy games on to it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's strange to me that the same thing happened last gen with the PS4 missing some PS3 features. I don't know why they have to take steps back, specifically when this UI seems quite close to the PS4 one.

I'm sure it's coming down the line but it's annoying that we need to "beg" for this again

Last edited:

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Folders weren't added to PS4 until years after launch. It's never a priority, but they'll come eventually.
OK, but you are creating a new dashboard from scratch. And you know that this is a feature that people wanted and that it's useful. You started working on the interface a couple of years ago (and even implemented new and brilliant stuff like Activities) but you couldn't implement such a basic thing like Folders? It baffles the mind.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Considering going for Demon's Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, and Days Gone instead of Miles Morales and Sackboy.

I'm really liking the PS5 improvements on those games.
Don't you get Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone free with the PS+ Collection on PS5? If so, maybe you get Miles & Sackboy too! 😁

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This, from the Digital Foundry review, nails it:

In the here and now, what I find remarkable is how two next generation consoles built from what are effectively the same AMD technologies (though Microsoft claims extra RDNA 2 features) can deliver such a drastically different first impression.

Xbox Series X presents the notion of latent power yet to be unleashed, and is almost conservative in its presentation - both in terms of its cuboid form factor and its UI, which is to all intents and purposes a smoother, slicker, faster version of the Xbox One interface. PlayStation 5 is an altogether different experience - a Buck Rogers physical design with system software that's fast, immediate, beautifully presented, and almost excessively eager to herald the arrival of a new generation of gaming, to the point where you're even given a pack-in game. Yes, Astro's Playroom fully deserves its Eurogamer Essential award, and strategically, it's a Wii Sports-style play from Sony that showcases a brilliant new controller - and it works.

Meanwhile, it's business as usual on the first-party front: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales may well be a cross-generational title, but it still manages to be a stunning workout for the new hardware that wouldn't look out of place on a high-end PC. Meanwhile, the Demon's Souls remake is not too far away and further first-party goodies are announced and en route. And did we mention just how good the backwards compatibility turned out to be? And that select PS4 Pro games like Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone are already running at 60 frames per second? Microsoft laid down the gauntlet and it's good to see Sony rising to the challenge.

For me, at some point over the past month or two, something about the Xbox strategy just clicked: two attractive, distinct models; impressively robust BC; an incredibly high-value service in the form of GamePass; a unique amount of flexibility in terms of game exclusivity, cross-play, and other things along those lines; with the Bethesda purchase, especially, an impressive list of first-party studios; a lower threshold for jumping into the ecosystem with Xbox All-Access. I've gone from very, very little interest in picking up an Xbox to being quite on board with an eventual purchase.

In the final stretch, though, I've just come to really appreciate that, in some ways, the PS5 is more interesting. The UI takes a step or two backwards, for sure, but I love the potential of the innovations. The design is bizarre in a good way. I haven't been this excited to check out a new controller in a long time. And launching with a Wii Sports-esque pack-in game, along with a couple showstoppers in the form of Miles Morales and Demon's Souls? C'mon.

And my takeaway there isn't PS5 > Xbox, especially considering the generation arguably hasn't even started yet, but more... damn. I've gone from kinda just defaulting to getting a PS5 first to being straight up excited to check out its distinguishing features.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things like folders and themes will be there eventually. It's the games that matter and that's where Sony succeeded.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
Seeing all the posts about folders has made me realise that I never even knew the PS4 had folders at all. And I've had this bad boy since inFamous: Second Son was released. I guess I'm unlikely to notice their absence. 😂

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Has anyone confirmed if you can use more than one EXT USB drive for PS4 games? The PS4 had a limitation where only one EXT drive could be connected at any time. Hopefully with PS5 this is not the case

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
In the final stretch, though, I've just come to really appreciate that, in some ways, the PS5 is more interesting. The UI takes a step or two backwards, for sure, but I love the potential of the innovations. The design is bizarre in a good way. I haven't been this excited to check out a new controller in a long time. And launching with a Wii Sports-esque pack-in game, along with a couple showstoppers in the form of Miles Morales and Demon's Souls? C'mon.

And my takeaway there isn't PS5 > Xbox, especially considering the generation arguably hasn't even started yet, but more... damn. I've gone from kinda just defaulting to getting a PS5 first to being straight up excited to check out its distinguishing features.
Things like folders and themes will be there eventually. It's the games that matter and that's where Sony succeeded.

Both the above for me!

Can't wait for the 19th and beyond.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

This is getting silly now because you're wrong:

www.thesaurus.com

Thesaurus.com - The world's favorite online thesaurus!

Thesaurus.com is the world’s largest and most trusted online thesaurus for 25+ years. Join millions of people and grow your mastery of the English language.

Another word for STANDARD > Synonyms & Antonyms

Similar words for Standard. Definition: noun. ['ˈstændɝd'] a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated.

What is another word for standard? | Standard Synonyms - WordHippo Thesaurus

Synonyms for standard include normal, usual, customary, stock, typical, regular, average, common, ordinary and set. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com!
www.collinsdictionary.com

Standard Synonyms | Collins English Thesaurus

Another word for standard: level, grade, calibre, quality | Collins English Thesaurus

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
After I heard you have no folders I didn't mind it that much but then I also saw that you only have 8 logos, so 8 games on your main menu and the rest always hides in the collection tab, just like on Switch.

I really hate that to be honest. Love seeing all my installed games directly in the main menu and hate how the Switch handles that. That they doing it exactly like them here now shocks me a bit.

Of course, like always, we will get used to it just like with everything else. But I'm not a fan of this.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
After I heard you have no folders I didn't mind it that much but then I also saw that you only have 8 logos, so 8 games on your main menu and the rest always hides in the collection tab, just like on Switch.

I really hate that to be honest. Love seeing all my installed games directly in the main menu and hate how the Switch handles that. That they doing it exactly like them here now shocks me a bit.

Of course, like always, we will get used to it just like with everything else. But I'm not a fan of this.

I don't think it will matter. Afaik we can pin activities so the game tile is nearly irrelevant.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017

Are console's ever finished? The Vita (a dead console) still gets firmware patches. Updates will come, our precious folder options will be restored.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Wish we had more PS4 patches. I'm in an odd spot where I've only played Uncharted 4 in terms of exclusives. Don't want to play for example FF7R and then all of a sudden the remastered is announced.

GOT and Days Gone have patches. Project Red announced free next gen patches, R* announced paid remasters.

Just want more official news in regards to exclusives.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Are console's ever finished? The Vita (a dead console) still gets firmware patches. Updates will come, our precious folder options will be restored.

No, but in this case they are selling the console as 8K and VRR compatible....but the fact....is that at launch non of those features are available..., different than extra improvements and bug-fixing stuff to come later imho

I agree on the folders option etc... but anyways is kinda disappointing to go few steps backwards on this.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that folders went away...the UI isn't quite that big of a departure from the PS4 UI.

Oct 28, 2017

If they had 8k in at launch, what would you use it with? Nothing runs in 8k right now on these consoles.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Will I be able to hide games and such in the library section? I have a ton of betas, demos and other stuff that I no longer need to scroll past every time I go through the library. Hopefully you can hide those like on PS4.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
Folders are useful, and I'm sure they'll arrive soon, but I'd also love to see them implement something along the lines of Steam's Dynamic Collections so that new purchases automatically file themselves into categories selected by the user from a wide range of tags ('Shoot 'Em Up', '2D', 'Indie Game', 'Pixel Art', 'Currently Installed').

I find this to be indispensable for my 500+ game Steam library, and with PS4 games now heavily discounted and looking better than ever on PS5 I can see my PlayStation library going the same way.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's just a weird outlook to me. The PS4 Pro was always billed as a mid gen refresh and premium item. everyone knew the 5 was coming. At one point Sony even said it was to delay or retain people from moving to PC to experience 4K. People that bought a Pro for its 4K capabilities and more stable frames would never have buyers remorse. Those people would have bought it even if it was only out for 2 years or so (the PS5 was expected to touch down in 2019). Instead they got 4 years out of a souped up model that they can now trade in for a lot more money towards the PS5 than the base model. Again, the type of consumer that goes for the premium version of items isn't really going to be down in the dumps about the PS5. They will be the early adopters and two years or three years from now will likely be itching for a revision of the PS5/PS5 Pro.
That's a valid point that I never really considered.

I wasn't going to jump in on this conversation, but I just had to say that this whole exchange between you guys was really nice. No passive aggressive sniping, or getting defensive when an opposing viewpoint was expressed. Just really nice to see on this forum.

As for my 2 cents. I bought a PS4 on launch, and rolled with it until the PS4 Pro released. I initially didn't have any plans on getting a PS4 Pro, or a 4k TV (I was still using a 1080p Sony my mom gave me to replace my old 720p set I had used during the PS3 gen). Then, almost like fate, or Sony triggering a kill switch in my TV (I'm kidding. I think...), my TV just outright died on me one day. Wouldn't turn on at all. I thought it was maybe just the old wiring in my building, but nope, the TV was dead as a doornail. Instead of buying another 1080p TV, I figured, well, 4kTVs are a thing, and I found a really good Samsung one that was 10" bigger than my dead 1080p set (that one was 40", and my current 4k Samsung is 50"), and it was well within price range, so I picked up.

And, well, since I had a 4k TV now, I'd certainly want something that would show it off... Not to mention I was planning on getting my ex-wife her own PS4, since we shared the one. So I upgraded to the PS4 Pro, gave my wife my old PS4 so she could play Fallout 4 and Bloodborne and Skyrim, and never looked back.

I don't regret getting the Pro at all, and it's still serving me well. I'm currently trying to figure out what I'm gonna do about my PS4 Pro though. I'm either going to sell it to my roommate (though she might not have the cash to buy it anytime soon), or give it to my niece and nephew as a gift. They're twins, and I think they share the PS4, so I'm sure they'd love to have their own. They can fight over who gets the Pro if they just have the base model XD XD