• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I am elated to see so much love shown to the Dual Sense 5 and a consensus among those who tried it that it is the most next-gen thing by far. I hope it proves to be an effective system seller for Sony, but that remains to be seen.

The last time something this revolutionary happened in controllers, it was the n64 with the analog sticks, which sony quickly added to the PSX, as did Microsoft. Then Nintendo added Rumble and the Sony and Microsoft followed suit again. I hope this turns into a similar situation and haptics are shown the respect they deserve on all platforms from now on.

Now, what's the deal with VRR? i read it's not currently working?

I am also underwhelmed by the loading times and I hope they can be cut drastically later. DRAS-TI-CA-LLY!

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Sonya needs to hire better software engineers... not a good look for them.

What?

Universal settings.
Games loading in 5 seconds.
From menu to last save in less than 2 seconds.
Quite a snappy UI ready for 4K TVs and HDR, and packed with a lot of interesting new features.
Almost every PS4 game running at 60fps right out of the box (some games with improvements).

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
What?

Universal settings.
Quite a snappy UI ready for 4K TVs and HDR, and packed with a lot of interesting new features.
Almost every PS4 game running at 60fps right out of the box (some games with improvements).

Also next gen controller
Next gen UI features like Activities, PIP gamesharing, and help vids
Motherfucking Demon Souls and Spiderman MM!!!!

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What?

Universal settings.

No themes
No folders
Hampered BC load times
No QR equivalent
No VRR
Can't storage PS5 games on an external drive

Basic features that they can't seem to implement.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
how does the dualsense mic work? is it something that is on all the time or you have to hold to shut off? or is it a button press to speak into it and have it capture that

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Condolences? I got 4 years out of the Pro, more than enough time to warrant the purchase especially with how much better the games ran. I also just sold mine for $300 with some controllers....seemed like a good decision overall.
When did you sell? I'm thinking of the same through something like Swappa, but fees/shipping costs, I was thinking that I was not going to get much more than trading in at GameStop for $175.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Also next gen controller
Next gen UI features like Activities, PIP gamesharing, and help vids
Motherfucking Demon Souls and Spiderman MM!!!!

Yeah. And We don't know if they are working on an FW update for the launch day.
The console is a beast, with truly next-gen features. Some people are just nitpicking.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Yeah. And We don't know if they are working on an FW update for the launch day.
The console is a beast, with truly next-gen features. Some people are just nitpicking.

Haha I legit just asked in another thread if they are going to release a day 1 system update that will have features that previewers didn't have a chance to use.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
When did you sell? I'm thinking of the same through something like Swappa, but fees/shipping costs, I was thinking that I was not going to get much more than trading in at GameStop for $175.

I just sold it on Tuesday and it was with 3 additional DS4s. You should be able to get $200-$225 at the lowest selling it without any extras compared to the $175 trade in

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think COVID has much to do with it. This is pretty common for consoles that start fresh with their OS.
You don't think that people having to work from home had a significant impact? Especially in a country where home working is very rare.

Undoubtedly it would have caused timelines for feature delivery to be shifted.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basic? Lol
Hampered bc load times. Wow

Yes, even the PS4 allowed you to store games on the external drive.

It's disappointing to see that Sony was unable to utilize the PS5's SSD to its fullest potential for BC games. TO ME.

f3IzDaK.gif

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Remember this story about the X and O buttons being reversed in Japan and how there would no way to revert to the previous layout ? Seems like there is actually some sort of option into Japanese consoles. I don't read or hear Japanese so I cannot confirm this (Source) :

921k.png

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I am elated to see so much love shown to the Dual Sense 5 and a consensus among those who tried it that it is the most next-gen thing by far. I hope it proves to be an effective system seller for Sony, but that remains to be seen.

The last time something this revolutionary happened in controllers, it was the n64 with the analog sticks, which sony quickly added to the PSX, as did Microsoft. Then Nintendo added Rumble and the Sony and Microsoft followed suit again. I hope this turns into a similar situation and haptics are shown the respect they deserve on all platforms from now on.

Now, what's the deal with VRR? i read it's not currently working?

I am also underwhelmed by the loading times and I hope they can be cut drastically later. DRAS-TI-CA-LLY!
I remember back when people aggressively pretended the SIXAXIS was perfect. 360 was proving itself with its online and its comfy controller, and so many people flat out said they'd never want to play with a huge controller like the 360. Imagine if the DS4 and DS looked more like DS3 and Boomerang.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Yes, even the PS4 allowed you to store games on the external drive.

It's disappointing to see that Sony was unable to utilize the PS5's SSD to its fullest potential for BC games. TO ME.

f3IzDaK.gif
Cold storage will probably come sooner than later. If it doesn't, it will be an issue, yes.

Not being able to use full ssd potential for bc loading ( the same happens on series x btw) , is a bit of a bummer but hardly a BASIC, neither are the other points you mentioned.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I've been out of the PS ecosystem since 2018.I'm about to jump back in next week. Is there no way to get Driveclub digitally?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to use full ssd potential for bc loading ( the same happens on series x btw) , is a bit of a bummer but hardly a BASIC, neither are the other points you mentioned.

Eh, I think there's maybe an argument that folders could be considered basic at this point. Especially since you won't be able to organize all your PS4 games like you could on the PS4. Folders is one of the most commonly asked features early on when it doesn't exist, and normally it's not that bad when the library is small but backwards compatibility changes that a bit.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think that people having to work from home had a significant impact? Especially in a country where home working is very rare.

Undoubtedly it would have caused timelines for feature delivery to be shifted.

I suppose it's possible but none of this is unusual for PlayStation. PS4 didn't even launch with suspend/resume despite it being a major focus in their announcment conference. Stuff like USB backups, themes and folders are very typical sort of things to come after launch.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Eh, I think there's maybe an argument that folders could be considered basic at this point. Especially since you won't be able to organize all your PS4 games like you could on the PS4. Folders is one of the most commonly asked features early on when it doesn't exist, and normally it's not that bad when the library is small but backwards compatibility changes that a bit.
Convenient, yes. Basic? No. Switch is very successful and doesn't have them either.
Library seems to be quite decent and with sorting options, for ps5, so while folders would be a nice addition (and will probably come at some point, yet i wonder if will fit elegantly on those smaller icons), there are more important things at launch. UI seems really complete and full of options, but of course there's always room for improvement

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Convenient, yes. Basic? No. Switch is very successful and doesn't have them either.
Library seems to be quite decent and with sorting options, for ps5, so while folders would be a nice addition (and will probably come at some point, yet i wonder if will fit elegantly on those smaller icons), there are more important things at launch. UI seems really complete and full of options, but of course there's always room for improvement

Well then if you're going to reduce it to that, then other than being able to launch a game, everything is just a convenience.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well then if you're going to reduce it to that, then other than being able to launch a game, everything is just a convenience.
Do you think the ui on ps5 is just able to launch a game?
Centering all the attention in a few, not basic, features (except for the cold storage thing) over the amount of things the console seems to do really well,(many of them also just 'convenient' features btw), yes that is reducing the scope to the absurd

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the ui on ps5 is just able to launch a game?
Centering all the attention in a few, not basic, features (except for the cold storage thing) over the amount of things the console seems to do really well,(many of them also just 'convenient' features btw), yes that is reducing the scope to the absurd

No, and I'm not saying there isn't functionality in the UI. But if you're going to just reduce anything that isn't absolutely necessary as just a convenience feature then almost everything can fall under that. Cold storage isn't a basic functionality under your criteria; it's a convenience. I'm not saying one should throw away everything that is there, but there are some clear areas that fall short. I'm sure many of it will come in time, but there's no need to defend simple features that people expect that should be there. Those expectations most likely qualify as basic quality of life features within reason and that's why it's not unreasonable to call them basic features.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember this story about the X and O buttons being reversed in Japan and how there would no way to revert to the previous layout ? Seems like there is actually some sort of option into Japanese consoles. I don't read or hear Japanese so I cannot confirm this (Source) :

921k.png

Interesting. Maybe a bump to the original thread about this should be a good idea.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
No, and I'm not saying there isn't functionality in the UI. But if you're going to just reduce anything that isn't absolutely necessary as just a convenience feature then almost everything can fall under that. Cold storage isn't a basic functionality under your criteria; it's a convenience. I'm not saying one should throw away everything that is there, but there are some clear areas that fall short. I'm sure many of it will come in time, but there's no need to defend simple features that people expect that should be there. Those expectations most likely qualify as basic quality of life features within reason and that's why it's not unreasonable to call them basic features.
Sorry but i disagree. Those mentioned aren't basic features (yes even cold storage can be sorted out).
It is fair to want some of those, I'm not arguing that, but the extreme exaggeration over features that will eventually be available, in some form of other, and that are not going to prevent anyone to enjoy a console (as an example i mentioned folders on switch, still mia).
So for example, one thing i would consider basic is being able to backup saves without a paywall. Something ps4 has and ps5 , for ps5 games, has still a ? on it.
But that list? Cmon. Themes are basic now.
Are activity cards basic too? Because other consoles don't have them. Or deep system customization (difficulty, subs, language etc).
Different consoles have different priorities, sometimes a feature on X is not on Y and viceversa. It doesn't mean that Y has to have that feature that X has.
Because then the list is endless, both ways.

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
Note, this is not entirely the case. Just with those games with unlocks in terms of frame rate.
EDIT: As an example, AC Odyssey doesn't have an alternate performance mode, so it's 30 FPS period.

But I think that's the case for both next-gen consoles. If the game has locked 30FPS it will run at 30FPS on the new systems no matter what.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but i disagree. Those mentioned aren't basic features (yes even cold storage can be sorted out).
It is fair to want some of those, I'm not arguing that, but the extreme exaggeration over features that will eventually be available, in some form of other, and that are not going to prevent anyone to enjoy a console (as an example i mentioned folders on switch, still mia).
So for example, one thing i would consider basic is being able to backup saves without a paywall. Something ps4 has and ps5 , for ps5 games, has still a ? on it.
But that list? Cmon. Themes are basic now.
Are activity cards basic too? Because other consoles don't have them. Or deep system customization (difficulty, subs, language etc).
Different consoles have different priorities, sometimes a feature on X is not on Y and viceversa. It doesn't mean that Y has to have that feature that X has.
Because then the list is endless, both ways.

I think when you have something as simple as folders on the PS3, PS4, PSP, and PS Vita and then you launch your new system and not have it at launch, it is most certainly understandable that someone might consider it a basic feature on a PlayStation platform now. I think it's fair to not have the OS constantly regressing every generation for simple functionality.

Under your criteria, your ability to backup saves without a paywall is a convenience and not a basic feature. Why are saves backup a basic feature but not folders? It really feels like you're arbitrarily declaring some things as basic (save files, cold storage) while calling other features as convenience.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's weird to review a console at all. How do you possibly decide what gives a console an "8"?

just look at them as impressions pieces (which are valuable) with a meaningless number at the end

Oh sure, I'll give you that. But you're gonna do it, it seems like it would make more sense after you've seen how things played out.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I think when you have something as simple as folders on the PS3, PS4, PSP, and PS Vita and then you launch your new system and not have it at launch, it is most certainly understandable that someone might consider it a basic feature on a PlayStation platform now. I think it's fair to not have the OS constantly regressing every generation for simple functionality.

Under your criteria, your ability to backup saves without a paywall is a convenience and not a basic feature. Why are saves backup a basic feature but not folders? It really feels like you're arbitrarily declaring some things as basic (save files, cold storage) while calling other features as convenience.
Well, it is not arbitrary. In case of damaged console not being able to backup saves (without paying a fee) seems something important to me
You can play a game without having it on a folder but you may lose all your progress if you cannot backup your save. Seems obvious to me which one fits the 'basic' category here.
And yes, there's some regression on some points, and a lot of improvements on others. Vita didn't have folders at launch, neither did ps3/4 if I'm not mistaken. But folders were added, so it is probably happening the same here.
Again, my point is putting the spot on some features that, honestly, aren't basic, while ignoring everything else, seems really... well, nitpicking to say it politely.
I can't explain myself better, so I'll leave it here.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think it's kinda weird to "review" a console at the beginning of a generation?

Product reviews happen all the time.

www.theverge.com

Reviews

Looking to buy your next phone, laptop, headphones, or other tech gear? Or maybe you just want to know all of the details about the latest products from Apple, Samsung, Google, and many others. The Verge Reviews is the place for all of that and more. Whether you’re looking for buying advice, how...

It is, in part, to help provide a purchasing decision.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
On the topic of the firmware, they clearly have another one in the pipeline because there are actually still a few things embargoed. While I don't have any insider info, I'd generally inferred that there's probably a system update going out next week that will finalise a few things for launch.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
Its always on. The controller has a button to mute it. I think you can also mute it from the system options, but not sure.
oof ok sounds awful if its jus something thats always on without an actual toggle and you have to hold it to mute. hate talkin to randoms online

and i remember someone saying holding mute actually pauses all game sounds or some shit like that

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it is not arbitrary. In case of damaged console not being able to backup saves (without paying a fee) seems something important to me
You can play a game without having it on a folder but you may lose all your progress if you cannot backup your save. Seems obvious to me which one fits the 'basic' category here.
And yes, there's some regression on some points, and a lot of improvements on others. Vita didn't have folders at launch, neither did ps3/4 if I'm not mistaken. But folders were added, so it is probably happening the same here.
Again, my point is putting the spot on some features that, honestly, aren't basic, while ignoring everything else, seems really... well, nitpicking to say it politely.
I can't explain myself better, so I'll leave it here.

You like bringing up the Switch and the lack of folders as proof it's not a basic feature but the Switch also doesn't let you backup saves either without a paid cloud service. So does that mean it's now not basic since the Switch doesn't offer it? Or does you using the Switch's lack of folders as an example of them not being a basic feature no longer hold water to help support your claim?

Again, how you're drawing the line between convenience and basic seems arbitrary based on what is important to you. Saves being stuck behind a paywall instead of being free doesn't mean it doesn't have that basic functionality either. A lot of things on consoles these days are stuck behind paywalls such as online play. Yet we don't claim free online play is a basic feature missing, do we?