• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
I was quoting a moderator from a thread that was locked for being false. Weird you want to double down on it even after that.

im not doubling down on anything. if it lasts longer than 4 hours in astro, sure, thats good news.

you could just be a productive and helpful human being an link me a test or something someone did with.

but no... "let me accuse him of something first"

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of making a topic to see whether people who were interested in the PS5 had buyers remorse by acquiring the PS4 Pro but it looks to me that the consensus is unanimously positive about the transition. I suppose the 4 year lifecycle does justify the costs made for a PS4 Pro.

Looks like I'm a definite outlier here, I have a PS4 slim so I feel I'd get a far more transformative experience than if I had a PS4 Pro transitioning to the PS5.

It's just a weird outlook to me. The PS4 Pro was always billed as a mid gen refresh and premium item. everyone knew the 5 was coming. At one point Sony even said it was to delay or retain people from moving to PC to experience 4K. People that bought a Pro for its 4K capabilities and more stable frames would never have buyers remorse. Those people would have bought it even if it was only out for 2 years or so (the PS5 was expected to touch down in 2019). Instead they got 4 years out of a souped up model that they can now trade in for a lot more money towards the PS5 than the base model. Again, the type of consumer that goes for the premium version of items isn't really going to be down in the dumps about the PS5. They will be the early adopters and two years or three years from now will likely be itching for a revision of the PS5/PS5 Pro.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It's just a weird outlook to me. The PS4 Pro was always billed as a mid gen refresh and premium item. everyone knew the 5 was coming. At one point Sony even said it was to delay or retain people from moving to PC to experience 4K. People that bought a Pro for its 4K capabilities and more stable frames would never have buyers remorse. Those people would have bought it even if it was only out for 2 years or so (the PS5 was expected to touch down in 2019). Instead they got 4 years out of a souped up model that they can now trade in for a lot more money towards the PS5 than the base model. Again, the type of consumer that goes for the premium version of items isn't really going to be down in the dumps about the PS5. They will be the early adopters and two years from now will likely be itching for a revision of the PS5/PS5 Pro.

That's a valid point that I never really considered.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It's just a weird outlook to me. The PS4 Pro was always billed as a mid gen refresh and premium item. everyone knew the 5 was coming. At one point Sony even said it was to delay or retain people from moving to PC to experience 4K. People that bought a Pro for its 4K capabilities and more stable frames would never have buyers remorse. Those people would have bought it even if it was only out for 2 years or so (the PS5 was expected to touch down in 2019). Instead they got 4 years out of a souped up model that they can now trade in for a lot more money towards the PS5 than the base model. Again, the type of consumer that goes for the premium version of items isn't really going to be down in the dumps about the PS5. They will be the early adopters and two years or three years from now will likely be itching for a revision of the PS5/PS5 Pro.

I don't think people should feel buyer's remorse about having a Pro for only 4 years. The original Xbox was only out 4 years before MS abandoned it and went to next gen with the 360. It could have been worse. Not to mention, people who bought a One X only 3 years ago are probably still getting a Series X.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's right above your earlier post.

thats kind of anectodal, and he only played under 2 hours of astro.

im not saying that guy is lying. but for reference, dave lee is a guy ive been following for a long time, and has some solid, accurate reviews with some pretty good advice, especially when it comes to laptops, so im inclined to believe him when he says his batterly lasted 4 hours in astro.

if he is somehow mistaken, im glad the battery lasts longer than 4 hours.

but dont just go around accusing people of spreading fud.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Another huge bummer! What about using an external drive from a USB hub?
That's something Darknight and I also wanted to know.

Thanks for looking out. Bummer to hear about only one external drive which kills my plan of using a mechanical and external ssd combo. However, with two ports in the back, the need for the hub gets reduced a lot if you can only use one drive at a time. Still would be good to know so I can plan how I'm going to wire my setup.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Not word on VRR support since Digital Foundry said no support yet. Any chance we could get it patched in for launch?

Oct 28, 2017
This console makes the PlayStation 4 completely redundant, my condolences to all the PS4 Pro players who upgraded from their base PS4 model.
Is this for real? I loved my ps4 pro and I'm super happy I upgraded midgen. Sony software is topnotch and I loved playing all those classics on a 4K setup. Not feeling a shred of buyers remorse over it and I got a good 3+ years out of it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Another huge bummer! What about using an external drive from a USB hub?
That's something Darknight and I also wanted to know.

I answered that in my look at the dongle used to connect the PS4 camera to PS5 for the sake of PSVR:

arstechnica.com

Lifting the VR veil: How PlayStation 5 works with Sony’s last-gen headset

Mild boosts, mild hassles: PSVR on PS5 is fine, not a revelation.

(short answer: the one USB hub I tested, rated USB 3.0 and lacking external power, works fine with my external USB drive)

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure why I thought both consoles could store next-gen games on an external and you move them around when you want, but not being able to do that on the PS5 is a bummer. I'm lucky enough to have very good internet without data caps, but it would still be far faster to transfer them around. Oh well, still cannot wait to get my PS5.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
664 gb ain't bad for a secondary console. I play one game at a time. I'll download bloodborne, god of war 2018 (replay), ghost of Tsushima (already beat), and Spider-Man. Debating getting demons souls later - hoping Spider-Man has collectibles. I had more fun than ANYTHING getting backpacks. The traversal and the sentiment behind each collectible made it SO SATISFYING. Hope miles has that too

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
You are describing me. I am glad that I experinced The Last Guardian on Pro first, on base my experience would have been same and that makes Pro worth it for me. But PS5 boost in all these games is better still and I am itching to play a lot of games that I did not get around to on PS4. And I will probably be there when they release PS5 Pro.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
i dont understand this logic at all. are you saying dave lee got a defective controller? is he lying? is his review less valid somehow? whats ur point?

No, Astro hammers the haptics hard.

An average game, like Miles Morales, does not.

Signed: A person who reviewed the PS5. Please and thank you.

EDIT: Let me state this even firmer. Four hours is in no way, shape, or form nominal, average battery life for the DualSense in normal play.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
From Dave2D, you can see that it is quiet as Series X

ibKrLmU.png
This is great. Can't wait to replace the PS4 Pro now. I have one of the ones that has gotten crazy loud recently and it drives me crazy. The cooling and noise are both looking amazing for the PS5!

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Weird that no reviewers said anything about Remote Play. Is that feature under embargo? Do reviewers just not care about it?

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
No, Astro hammers the haptics hard.

An average game, like Miles Morales, does not.

Signed: A person who reviewed the PS5. Please and thank you.

thats what i was saying in my original post. dont we want ALL games to use haptics like astro, if possible? its a bummer if the battery cant keep up with that *conflicting reports on this it seems*

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
thats what i was saying in my original post. dont we want ALL games to use haptics like astro, if possible? its a bummer if the battery cant keep up with that *conflicting reports on this it seems*

Again, Miles uses the haptics. The difference is Astro has them, and the rest of the controller features, turned up to 10 all the time. In practice, most review titles I have operate at like a 2 or 3.

The easiest way to explain it: Remember the HD Rumble-heavy features of 1-2 Switch? How many actual games used HD Rumble to the point where you could feel the ice cubes in the controller? Not many. 1-2 Switch was a showcase game. Same here.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I answered that in my look at the dongle used to connect the PS4 camera to PS5 for the sake of PSVR:

arstechnica.com

Lifting the VR veil: How PlayStation 5 works with Sony’s last-gen headset

Mild boosts, mild hassles: PSVR on PS5 is fine, not a revelation.

(short answer: the one USB hub I tested, rated USB 3.0 and lacking external power, works fine with my external USB drive)

I'm legitimately shocked by this. I expected them to follow the PS4 route of how they handled it since you can't use the security encryption on a hub. They actually removed that security feature to allow it? I'm really shocked but pleasantly surprised. This allows so many options now when I do my complete rewire next year.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Again, Miles uses the haptics. The difference is Astro has them, and the rest of the controller features, turned up to 10 all the time. In practice, most review titles I have operate at like a 2 or 3.

no i understand that part :) im saying in the future, if we get more games that use the dualsense like astro, how will that experience look like from a practicality stand point.

because to be honest, what im looking forward the most is trying out astro and the dualsense. if it is as awesome as the reviews are saying, i hope we get more of it in the future.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Wish I hadn't cancelled my preorder now. Oh well :P

Doubt they'll be any easily available until next year now.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Richard Leadbetter's article over at Eurogamer says you can use an external USB drive to store your games for cold storage purposes, yet I've seen multiple outlets and a thread on ERA say otherwise.

What's the truth here?

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I don't think people should feel buyer's remorse about having a Pro for only 4 years. The original Xbox was only out 4 years before MS abandoned it and went to next gen with the 360. It could have been worse. Not to mention, people who bought a One X only 3 years ago are probably still getting a Series X.

I don't have it over the Pro which cost me $280 after selling my PS4, or the X which cost me $500.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Nice impressions, though it sounds like the PS5 is coming in rather hot with QOL amd storage features missing again. Features that took years to resolve on PS4.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is the build quality of the dualsense?

The DS4 is a great controller with extremely poor build quality (like a lot of PS official peripherals this gen) and I'm hoping things have improved.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
MAke your own file system is massive programming. PS4 on PS5 cold storage work but not yet for PS5 titles, so it seems like it will have own file system format for PS5 titles.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
So, this is going to be a stupid question — and apologies in advance — but if you play PS4 games off of an external SSD versus an external HDD, you should still be able to see some benefit to loading times, right?

I ask because I have my PS4 games on an external HDD, but I bought an SSD and will look to transfer them over if I can get some speed enhancement.

Bummer that you can't link more than one external drive at a time to the PS5 though.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know about what happens to PS4 games from different regions transfered to PS5? Can I straight up play them with NA account or do I need to sign in with the account I bought the game from?

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform warring, recent ban for platform warring
Sonya needs to hire better software engineers... not a good look for them.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Has any review mentioned whether there's an option in Settings to disable to the game-specific music that starts playing when you hover over a game tile? I would much prefer to just listen to the OS ambient sounds.