• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DazzlingDeano

Dec 15, 2017
Looking at the review videos has me thinking... wouldnt it be fairly easy to 3d print or make custom PS5 shaped *wings*. I know the shape of the console is a bit strange, but it seems like custom shape fins could be made. This seems exciting for those folks that may want a different exterior look. Maybe Sony would even offer some customized solutions

RobotsAnger

Oct 29, 2017
So has any reviewer been actually able to play any games at 4k 120hz yet? Need to see if hdmi 2.1 is really worth it.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is this true??? EvilBoris

lQb7qsm.png

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Ya it appears to always do some kind of HDR even with an SDR. Still checking. But I noticed with my footage it was wonky looking until I noticed that.
Apologies if you've already answered this but is there a setting that allows games to activate HDR only if it's supported but otherwise leave it off? Basically, can it work like the PS4? I don't want games using HDR unless they're built for it, PS4 or PS5.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I offer many things:

My review of the PS5:
www.usgamer.net

PS5 review: The joy of discovery and a real feel of next-gen

In this PS5 review you'll find out how fast games load, how impressive the DualSense is, the way PS4 games perform, and…
My Review of Miles Morales:
www.usgamer.net

Spider-Man: Miles Morales review - more of the same, but with some stunning visual upgrades on PS5

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a very typical sort of console launch title.
The fact that you'll only have 667 GB free on your PS5:
www.usgamer.net

PS5 Only Has 667 GB of Space Free For Games

Games are getting bigger, but storage space is getting smaller.

And you can ask me anything.
Thanks for the great work as always.

I have a very specific question about audio formats that I can't find an answer to anywhere, and would super appreciate it if you could check for me. In Settings > Sound > Audio Output, does the Audio Format (Priority) option have the same choices as PS4 did (Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby, Bitstream DTS)?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Sony had better clarify the VRR situation since they talked about supporting the HDMI 2.1 standard for it prior to now. If it's just totally absent with no explanation that's pretty fucked.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of good news: happy to hear BC works well, it's great that the console is quiet, the controller looks like a big improvement over the DS4.

As expected, looks like they pretty much knocked it out of the park and will continue their strong momentum.
The big missteps I see are: no expandable storage for PS5 games, slower loading times than expected, no quick resume, no VRR, no 1440p, no auto low latency mode.
I wouldn't say they knocked it out of the park, but there's a lot of good news.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the great work as always.

I have a very specific question about audio formats that I can't find an answer to anywhere, and would super appreciate it if you could check for me. In Settings > Sound > Audio Output, does the Audio Format (Priority) option have the same choices as PS4 did (Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby, Bitstream DTS)?
Yes.
M4q7KJv.png

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of good news: happy to hear BC works well, it's great that the console is quiet, the controller looks like a big improvement over the DS4.

The big missteps I see are: no expandable storage for PS5 games, slower loading times than expected, no quick resume, no VRR, no 1440p, no auto low latency mode.

Considering many of these things like VRR can be patched in with an update and the others like no auto low latency are rather minor issues I'd say they came pretty close, if not all the way, to knocking it out of the park.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Big misteps? Seems a bit of exaggerating here.
No expandable storage is probably coming soon, slower loading times... Really? Maybe for bc games, that seem to vary a lot, sometimes slower than XSX , sometimes faster. No quick resume? They have cards to jump directly into modes and levels in a few seconds, not every feature had to be on both consoles. No vrr is maybe an issue, but may come later,and 1440p support is probably bad for those on monitors, but wasn't really a big issue for ps4 pro. Low latency... DS4 had less latency than xbo controllers, so they probably didn't need to address anything there.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Sony had better clarify the VRR situation since they talked about supporting the HDMI 2.1 standard for it prior to now. If it's just totally absent with no explanation that's pretty fucked.

It's a cool feature to use on PC, but doesn't seem like it is that important right now for a console. All BC games run at a locked 30 or 60, and games with unlocked framerates really aren't that common. Maybe it's useful if devs aren't optimizing their new games that well.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool feature to use on PC, but doesn't seem like it is that important right now for a console. All BC games run at a locked 30 or 60, and games with unlocked framerates really aren't that common. Maybe it's useful if devs aren't optimizing their new games that well.
Yeah it's not a pressing concern for me since I'm waiting a bit longer to upgrade my TV, but if there's anything that runs at either an unlocked framerate or 60/120 with non-trivial drops I will definitely want VRR to be working.