• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It appears that the G6 has a "scout mode" which is presumably internally switching the DAC into the UAC1 mode.
Scout mode just emphasizes footsteps. I'm guessing it'll need a firmware update to enable UAC2 on consoles, but at least at launch it should work even though it won't be the highest sound quality possible.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS2 launched with a firework game and mostly middling titles.

PS3 launched with Motorstorm and Resistance, both decent but not mind blowing.

PS4 had knack, second son and Killzone, all fairly eh aside from Resogun.

PS5 has hands down the best lineup with just Spider-Man or Demons Souls on its own.

Again this is day 1 launch, not launch window because PS2 was biblical in that regard.
Interesting if...decidedly sad take on next gen launches :(. But I can see that thought process. I guess in the end launch lineups just aren't great regardless.
Appreciate you discussing launch DAY versus window lol.

Luckily huge BC with this launch so anything missed or wanting to replay will hopefully all have improvements as well.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Any in-depth impressions of the 3D audio stuff or better yet recordings comparing regular stereo to Sony's 3D solution?

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Going from vanilla PS4 that I got in 2015 to this is going to be pretty cool. I imagine you would be blown away more by this vs if you had a PS4Pro and went moving on up.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Someone in the Dualsense thread tried to claim that once people could talk about other features no one would praise the Dualsense and that it wasnt what people were claiming it to be. Looks like that nonsense died a hard death.

_Gandour_

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
So... This may be a stupis question but in case im using the platinum headset, in order to use the tempest engine, should i leave the headset 3d audio switch on or off?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good! After the BC talk I'm finally hyped, won't jump in day 1 but likely before years end, if I can find one.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Honestly, the fact that there is no storage solution for these massive games is absurd. Series X drive might have people scoffing at the price but at least the OS demands less space and the option is available.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you lay out a hypothetical that you would consider a next gen leap?
Hmm its a good question and one that I think benefits from understanding that a typical and codified setup has a hard time being next-gen without breaking so far that it's not considered within the same formfactor. Like say the Adaptive controller's setups that are possible? Something with like buttons that could be moved around the face of the controller. I do find that the elite, or any ones with back side buttons to be excellent but also not a next gen thing. I would say that while not utilized at all in ways it should have been, originally the touchpad on the PS4, with a redesign could have done some magnificent stuff.
However even on the PS5 that has been relegated to pretending its not a digital pad while treating it identically to a digital pad.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Heh, feature wise the PS5 OS seems to be a bit behind the Series X (on release).

No 1440p. No VRR. No quick resume. Can't copy ps5 games to cold storage.

Seems like MS is showing up a bit more prepared in that regard.
Not being able to copy PS5 games across to a HDD for storage is the strangest omission to me. I'm sure it will be parched in later.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like people was saying the XSX controller was bad in the reviews, that would be a contrast. It's just not the highlight like it is here they just mention it's a good refinement of the one controller.
Lots of folks saying the dual sense is a game changer and the only real next gen controller. That's pretty good contrast.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Have reviewers talked about what the experience of connecting the PS5 to a 1440p monitor (or TV) is like?

toadfrawg

Oct 27, 2017
Is it Thursday yet? I'm ready....let's goooooooooooo!!!
41fUGw4_d.webp

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Heh, feature wise the PS5 OS seems to be a bit behind the Series X (on release).

Equally you could consider the native time played counts, system-set options for games and activities cards in its favour.

NeoBasch

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
Holy bananas, look at this (...at 60fps)! This is more immersive than any graphical effects or resolution upgrade could ever be.

This is how games should be played - especially fast paced ones like Spiderman. Awesome.

Idk, after watching and seeing Digital Foundry's captures, that ray tracing is just too good. Fidelity mode for me.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017

Software (not game development) has never been Sony's strong point, and I doubt it will ever be.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Not in. DF cover this.

This is painful news, I have an lg cx that I wanted to eek all the features out of

I was just about to ask about VRR and seeing this is a bit of a letdown. Was really hoping that some of the launch titles would have VRR :(

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Equally you could consider the native time played counts, system-set options for games and activities cards in its favour.
Both have stuff the other doesn't, surprise. 😆 UI is clearly something that evolves on both platforms. What you get from day 1 isn't going to be the same months/years from now.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017

And I do think they are fantastic features! I always loved the 3ds activity log so playtime counts are right up my ally. Default subtitles and performance mode are great as well.

The thing is, all these things are UX features, not OS features that give me options on how I play or store my games. Like, MS seems to be ahead on the technical side of things when it comes to how the OS can interact with games.