• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you clarify dolby vision and atmos? Im wondering if ps5 supports it for 4k blu ray discs. Thanks!
We've asked Sony for further details, but as far as we can tell, the PS5 can only output HDR10 color, not Dolby Vision HDR. In terms of surround audio, it seems that the console can decode the lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. But there's no indication that the PS5 supports either of the object-based surround sound formats, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
Via Polygon

Bloodborne is 60 fps now?
No. It's still 30.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I know it needs a patch. I was an idiot for thinking that there may be some improvements to maybe get it to run at something other than a stuttery sub 30 fps mess.

Its been a long day give me a break.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
www.polygon.com

All your burning PlayStation 5 questions, answered

The only PS5 FAQ you’ll ever need
All the good questions:

Bluetooth:
Just like the PS4, the PS5 doesn't work with Bluetooth headphones or speakers. The PS5's Bluetooth accessories menu recognized a pair of Bluetooth earbuds (the original Galaxy Buds from 2019) and a Bluetooth speaker, but when I tried to pair either device, the system gave me a message saying, "The PS5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio accessories."

1440p?
No. The PS5 can output a video signal at four different native resolutions: 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p (4K). When we plugged it into a 1440p monitor, the video settings said that 1080i and 2160p were "Not Supported." That means that the best option is to output 1080p video and have the monitor upscale it to 1440p, which is, of course, not ideal. A Sony representative confirmed our testing, telling Polygon that "1440p is not supported" on PS5.

Themes?
Asked about PS5 themes, whether static or dynamic, a Sony rep told Polygon that "themes are not supported." In fact, aside from the Control Center, it's not possible to customize the PS5 interface at all.
No mention of the Blu-ray playback... damn. That's one thing I'm really interested in.

Edit: nevermind... found it.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
huh?
Quick resume on a retail box is a bit faster :P

THE FUCK???
Holy shit, it was 6/7 seconds in previous videos! what the hell? :D
I guess going from game to game gets longer because it has to save your current state before loading the next game but damn, this is ridiculous

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

All your burning PlayStation 5 questions, answered

The only PS5 FAQ you’ll ever need
All the good questions:

Bluetooth:
Just like the PS4, the PS5 doesn't work with Bluetooth headphones or speakers. The PS5's Bluetooth accessories menu recognized a pair of Bluetooth earbuds (the original Galaxy Buds from 2019) and a Bluetooth speaker, but when I tried to pair either device, the system gave me a message saying, "The PS5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio accessories."

1440p?
No. The PS5 can output a video signal at four different native resolutions: 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p (4K). When we plugged it into a 1440p monitor, the video settings said that 1080i and 2160p were "Not Supported." That means that the best option is to output 1080p video and have the monitor upscale it to 1440p, which is, of course, not ideal. A Sony representative confirmed our testing, telling Polygon that "1440p is not supported" on PS5.

Themes?
Asked about PS5 themes, whether static or dynamic, a Sony rep told Polygon that "themes are not supported." In fact, aside from the Control Center, it's not possible to customize the PS5 interface at all.

This should be threadmarked.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
So no quick resume confirmed. I'm fine with that honestly as someone who is constantly closing programs and apps.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more impressed by how rock solid (lol) Bloodborne performance is no matter how much power you throw at it.
It's not about power, it's about getting around the 30fps cap and game logic from what I can tell.
THE FUCK???
Holy shit, it was 6/7 seconds in previous videos! what the hell? :D
I guess going from game to game gets longer because it has to save your current state before loading the next game but damn, this is ridiculous
Quick Resume was shut off during the GB XSX stream, maybe they pushed a update.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole review was filled with moments like these. It's like the author WANTS to look a bit incompetent. He's got to review the most eagerly awaited piece of hardware of 2020 and makes no effort whatsoever to understand things.

"This review has spent 3,000 words talking about the PlayStation 5, which is the most I've written about anything"

"If I'm being honest, I never understood the constant clamor for higher framerates in video games. Sure, it was a nice thing to have in fighters, but it was never a deal-breaker for me if a game couldn't reach 60 frames per second. And to continue baring my soul, I'm still not entirely convinced of its necessity when it comes to games on PlayStation 5, although I'm starting to come around.

For example, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales' performance mode—which does away with bells and whistles like ray tracing and true 4K to maintain a consistent 60 fps—is nice, but ultimately ends up eliciting the same reaction from me as movies filmed at anything higher than 24 fps. It just feels weird.
"
Yeah. I mean I appreciate this kind of opinion, because it's true that not everyone will notice/care differences etc.

But when you're writing for a video game website that enthusiasts will be looking to for an in-depth review...........yeah.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the best launch I've ever experienced. The console is great, has amazing improvements and looks fresh. It has 3 games that will probably review really well (Miles, Astrobot and Souls). Can't freaking wait

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
Are there embargoes to talk in depth about activities usage / details, the media apps section, the PS Store, and create details?

MercBerserk

Oct 25, 2017
How does the controller work with miles morales and BC titles? Controller feedback is what I'm interested in.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
It sucks that I cant try out the DualSense in store booths. I probably won't buy a PS5 'till somewhere at the end of next year, but I want to feel those haptics.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Did anyone test The Last Guardian? Really surprised it didn't show up in the DF video