• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Do I need to post my launch PS5 pre-order receipt before I can voice disappointment at the lack of Quick Resume?

It's a feature that people were hoping for, and something that had yet to be clarified less than a week from launch. It's not an irrelevant derail at all.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Or the XSX thread bombarded with complaints about lack of gyro, haptics or adaptive triggers.

There are features PS5 has XSX doesn't. There are features XSX has that PS5 doesn't.
I think you would get those discussions, if a few people in the Xbox thread would've downplayed the new DualSense controller as not something anyone needs. I guess you and others sometimes don't understand that in this case, since this is a PS thread PS people are starting the discussion with their downplaying of features. Happens from Xbox fans aswell, just to be clear in Xbox threads.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
They have their pro and cons depending on the situation. I don't see either of those options as superior. I hope sony and ms are copying the other thing at some point.

exactly, they have different features. The review seems a bit disingenuous to describe Sony's switcher as comparable to quick resume but maybe we'll see more clearly when video reviews show the difference.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here's my review: https://www.nextgenbase.com/playstation-5-review/

The DualSense is a gamechanger. The SSD is *ludicrously* fast. Like... "Under 30 seconds to get into a fist fight in Miles Morales from a cold boot" levels of fast. Activities will eliminate any waiting going forward if devs use them properly.

The UI feels really nice with a bit of familiarity.

Backward compatibility has been drastically understated. Locked 60fps on all unlocked frame rates (that I tested) levels of understated.

The fan is silent. I had to put my ear next to it after an hour of gameplay of Miles to even begin to hear it. Annoyingly the drive isolation for the discs hasn't worked as well as I'd have hoped. Installing Sekiro still made a big hum that went through my furniture and amplified it. Movies didn't seem to be so bad though.

No Dolby Vision or Atmos for now. 4k60HDR is in YUV422.

Spidey is great. Astro is an incredible demo for the DualSense.

Videos:

Throw questions at me if you want. I'm probably going to be half asleep though. Bed at 2, up at 6 alongside a full time job for the past week and a half has damn near killed me! I hope it's well received though, I can't believe I'm fortunate enough to be in this position...

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I think you would get those discussions, if a few people in the Xbox thread would've downplayed the new DualSense controller as not something anyone needs. I guess you and others sometimes don't understand that in this case, since this is a PS thread PS people are starting the discussion with their downplaying of features. Happens from Xbox fans aswell, just to be clear in Xbox threads.

Were the XSX review threads ~70% posts about how the controller wasn't the dual sense? Or how it doesn't have activities?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my review: https://www.nextgenbase.com/playstation-5-review/

The DualSense is a gamechanger. The SSD is *ludicrously* fast. Like... "Under 30 seconds to get into a fist fight in Miles Morales from a cold boot" levels of fast. Activities will eliminate any waiting going forward if devs use them properly.

The UI feels really nice with a bit of familiarity.

Backward compatibility has been drastically understated. Locked 60fps on all unlocked frame rates (that I tested) levels of understated.

The fan is silent. I had to put my ear next to it after an hour of gameplay of Miles to even begin to hear it. Annoyingly the drive isolation for the discs hasn't worked as well as I'd have hoped. Installing Sekiro still made a big hum that went through my furniture and amplified it. Movies didn't seem to be so bad though.

No Dolby Vision or Atmos for now. 4k60HDR is in YUV422.

Spidey is great. Astro is an incredible demo for the DualSense.

Videos:

Throw questions at me if you want. I'm probably going to be half asleep though. Bed at 2, up at 6 alongside a full time job for the past week and a half has damn near killed me! I hope it's well received though, I can't believe I'm fortunate enough to be in this position...

You're awesome dude

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you were hoping to be able to use a large external hard drive as "cold storage" for PS5 games — i.e., clearing space on the internal SSD by moving installed games to a USB HDD, rather than deleting them and having to re-download them later — that's unfortunately not an option. (This is presumably because Sony doesn't want to confuse people who might expect that if they could move a PS5 game to an external drive, they'd also be able to play it off of that drive.) In fact, the PS5 doesn't even let you copy PS5 save files to a USB drive; the only backup option is cloud storage, which is available exclusively for PlayStation Plus subscribers.
Storage management via Polygon -- that's gonna suck for some games.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

My backward compat testing... EVERYTHING landed at 60.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I offer many things:

My review of the PS5:
www.usgamer.net

PS5 review: The joy of discovery and a real feel of next-gen

In this PS5 review you'll find out how fast games load, how impressive the DualSense is, the way PS4 games perform, and…
My Review of Miles Morales:
www.usgamer.net

Spider-Man: Miles Morales review - more of the same, but with some stunning visual upgrades on PS5

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a very typical sort of console launch title.
The fact that you'll only have 667 GB free on your PS5:
www.usgamer.net

PS5 Only Has 667 GB of Space Free For Games

Games are getting bigger, but storage space is getting smaller.

And you can ask me anything.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I spent an absolute mammoth amount of time putting together our PS5 review, so please do check it out and read through it. There's so much content in it, I hope you will enjoy it:

Other stuff:

This is a very cool console. Only real caveats are storage space and the fact that BC is being done better elsewhere. Take on its own merits, though, and Sony nailed it!
Absolutely amazing to see how much your review cover. Great work and thanks!