• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Is it a big deal? With such quick load times, you can literally start the game in seconds from your last checkpoint. Blu ray movie progress is already saved on current consoles. Also, does quick resume work if you switch off your console? Otherwise, it's of no use to me anyway.
Yes it does work.
Confirmed. They can talk about BC in about 20 minutes, but they cant's show anithyng about that.
This gonna be gud.
I don't know what activities is
Activities are deep links, which let you search for a team deatmatch for example right form the OS and you don't need to start the game for this. That feature reappeared now on PS5 after Xbox tested and then decided to not go further with it due to HDD on Xbox One.
think they're referring to reviews saying in some games it's not working - single player games? Like on Easy Allies I think RDR2 was mentioned, and some other BC games. They were hoping these might get fixed by launch day
RDR2 worked in QR. I guess what happened to them is that their save state got quietly deleted and that's the most annoying part of Quick Resume currently. Because if you put to many games in there, then one game save state will be out in the bin. Currently without notification. Which is dumb, but easy to fix.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Quick Resume thing everyone's talking about works like the PS4 (standby mode only)? Was hoping you can power off/unplug the console and pick up where you left off after powering it up again.

Activity Cards seems to work best for multiplayer games since they log you out after you suspend the game. Being able to hop into a COD match from the Home Screens sounds amazing
QR works even after a power cycle. And even after a system update.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the Series X review thread being bombarded with "no activity card" posts page after page.....mods need to make a staff post because PS5 has way too many awesome features for the thread to be focused on 1 missing feature that was never promised

The Series X could also play games. Including next gen ones. Yet, I'm told not to buy it because there are no games. They didn't even compare the games that available to both systems to see how they stacked up. The reviews were all "yea, but".

That being said, I can't wait to play my PS5 next week. I love the new UI and that Demon's Souls remake is just *chef's kiss*. So while I think there is an advantage as far as first party games, I think they should review the actual hardware and its features. Not that it has first party support at launch or not. We already knew that.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Or, say in Destiny, straight to a destination. Would it work that way?

That's one of the sticking points for me with Quick Resume. It's great for single player games but how will it work for Destiny, for example? I doubt it'll start you exactly where you were on a planet or in the tower, etc., due to the online nature of the game. Activities seems to be more capable of doing that.
The main 2 problems for that to happen in Destiny are:
1. You'd need a card for each different character or it'd just work with your most/last played character.
2. Bungie.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, activity cards are a bigger deal than quick resume.

Being able to choose what you want to jump into before even loading the game will get much more use than quick resume would.

Playing Fortnite and being able to simply choose which mode I want to go straight into instead of having to go through different menus will be vastly easier than before and even quick resume would add some Extra time because of the need to go to a different mode.

Quick resume is a nice feature for those who want it, but activity cards are just as big of not a bigger deal for many people yet all we have been hearing in these threads recently is people trying to argue the opposite.
Well we can agree to disagree :)
I prefer being able to just jump into a game at any point in seconds then navigating cards that give me pre-determined options but to each their own.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Imagine the Series X review thread being bombarded with "no activity card" posts page after page.....mods need to make a staff post because PS5 has way too many awesome features for the thread to be focused on 1 missing feature that was never promised

What a ridiculous thing to say, just as if someone were to downplay Xbox's lack of parity with the DualSense. It's a genuine next-gen feature.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Difficult to put a thread on ignore when you have an interest in something but it's being derailed with one thing in every other post. Looks like I'll stick to the Playstation OT

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. Reviews aren't even officially out and it's already this bad.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
If they really don't have Quick Resume, that's a major bummer. I feel like people don't understand how it works or they wouldn't be so dismissive.

Quick Resume let's you suspend several games at once. It even works for games you have on disc. You can swap discs to play something else (or throw on a Blu-Ray movie), and then jump right back to where you left once you return the original disc. That's a big freaking deal, and Activities is not an answer to it.

Let's wait and see. This review from Metro is kinda vague about this and the writer seems to not know what quick resume actually is.

The Switcher is supposed to be something like history, I'd guess a list of games I last played would be on it. When you jump using the Switcher to another game, where would you start? Would it be like a cold boot? Or jump to where I last left the game?

It could be something like a quick resume for all we know.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that noise is one big matter this time after the PS4 Pro problems I had with some games... I wont be an early buyer thogh, so I give the time anyway to solve any possible issue.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I believe most PS5 games boot to menu in under 10 seconds, which is as quick as fast resume anyway.
Although it has to be said quick resume also means being able to quit the game anywhere, at any time and resuming it exactly where you left, so it's more than just a fast boot to menu.

Activities sound great, as do many of the OS level settings which i've been hoping would be implemented for a long time now.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I prefer being able to just jump into a game at any point in seconds then navigating cards that give me pre-determined options but to each their own.
Hey, we all have different wants and needs so this is a bummer for some but not others like you say.

For the activity cards though, it will in practice for some games work just as fast as quick resume so for those who aren't juggling multiple games at once the lack of it will mean nothing.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

The differences are going to be the biggest nothing burger ever.

Games where you can save anywhere > functionally identical

Games with multi > advantage to activities

Games with checkpoint save system > advantage quick resume (but with caveat that quick resume supports recent games only).

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Quick resume... we talkin' about Quick resume, not a game, no, not the near instant loading times..... we talkin' about quick resume..

Allen Iverson.gif

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
That's so stupid, the console is out in 6 days, let them show how the BC works on your console...
But we know how it works. You pop the PS4 disc in or download from PSN or transfer from a PS4, then you play the game. There's also a Boost Mode that bumps up games with unlocked framerates and/or dynamic resolution.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Quick resume, Game Pass and Smart Delivery. Get ready to hear these words a billion times this generation in every PS5 thread.

DrButz

Banned
Oct 27, 2020
I should point out that there is a lot of talk about quick resume because Sony choose to keep things like this secret. So it's something everyone wants to know and we are only just finding out right now at the same time.

They can market the system however they like, there are advantages and disadvantages to the open approach of marketing versus the "shh, it's a secret" approach. If they told us about this weeks or months ago then it would be old news by now.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I generally only play one game at a time, too - but I have a big Blu-Ray movie collection and that's what made it particularly appealing to me.

Also having Fall Guys or Everybody's Golf just sitting in the menu whenever I want to quickly jump into a game would be pretty great.

That's their plan with Activities

Fortnite supports PS5's Activities, starting with the ability to go straight into the Battle Royale Lobby with either Solo, Duos, or Squads selected. Once in the Lobby, choose to queue up for your selected mode!

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick resume... we talkin' about Quick resume, not a game, no, not the near instant loading times..... we talkin' about quick resume..

Allen Iverson.gif

lol, quick resume is a cool feature on Xbox. It all depends on how quick PS5 can get you into games, if it's as fast as it looks it might not matter.