• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Even with fans or coil whine, the PS5 is definitely quieter than the rocket engine that was PS4. I always wear headphones when I game, so I didn't have to put up with it much at the time, but those moments when I took headphones off was always jarring realising how damn loud the PS4 was. I have no idea how people played games without headphones...

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
(shrug) My PS4, and later PS4 Pro, never made much noise.

I've certainly heard that complaint often enough to believe that it could be an issue, but I think there's a sample bias in that you only hear people complain that the console's too loud, while almost never hearing from the population that don't have that problem. And of course it will depend on how close you are to the console, how loud your sound system is, whether you normally have headphones on, what games you're playing, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Even with fans or coil whine, the PS5 is definitely quieter than the rocket engine that was PS4. I always wear headphones when I game, so I didn't have to put up with it much at the time, but those moments when I took headphones off was always jarring realising how damn loud the PS4 was. I have no idea how people played games without headphones...

My PS4 Pro was insanely loud, I measured it at 65 decibels. I could hear it over headphones, I couldn't play with friends online as they could hear it whooshing away, it was genuinely disruptive.

My PS5 is definitely not silent, it whirrs and whines but I can play without headphones should I ever wish and actually hear the game so it's night and day. One day I should try Snowrunner, that was the worst offender for noise on PS4.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
My PS4 Pro was insanely loud, I measured it at 65 decibels. I could hear it over headphones, I couldn't play with friends online as they could hear it whooshing away, it was genuinely disruptive.

My PS5 is definitely not silent, it whirrs and whines but I can play without headphones should I ever wish and actually hear the game so it's night and day. One day I should try Snowrunner, that was the worst offender for noise on PS4.

Worst offenders for me were any game that had a menu with uncapped frame rate lol, why on Earth devs do that I have no idea.

modernkicks

Apr 7, 2020
are there still any weird issues/bugs that come up when using an external hdd?

I'm getting a new laptop in a few days and am going to take a Samsung 860 Evo out of the old one and throw it in an enclosure after I migrate/back stuff up on it to use it for PS4 games on the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Got 6 hours in Ghost of Tsushima, and my brain still can't believe that I can go from the PS main menu into a saved game in 15 seconds...
Wish they didn't force the logos to play each time. It literally should only take like 1-2 seconds from the PS5 OS to enter the game, similar to Spider-Man.

EDIT - Wow, just after posting this I went to see if they changed the cards and couldn't continue like usual, but I was given the option to jump into Legends mode and IT SKIPPED THE LOGOS xD

EDIT 2 - I wonder what the criteria is for the cards to show my SP save or not, and when to skip the intro logos or not....

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Wish they didn't force the logos to play each time. It literally should only take like 1-2 seconds from the PS5 OS to enter the game, similar to Spider-Man.

EDIT - Wow, just after posting this I went to see if they changed the cards and couldn't continue like usual, but I was given the option to jump into Legends mode and IT SKIPPED THE LOGOS xD

First world problems complaining about 15 seconds haha, we've come a long way. I haven't checked out the whole cards thing yet, I'm still a bit confused how they would work in a narrative game like Tsushima. I guess if I just pick a random mission card it'll plop me near where the story begins or something? I think I'm more comfortable with just selecting 'continue' on the main menu though...

Gripe of the Day: the automatically recorded trophy video is a cool idea, but the quality seems pretty poor, it looks barely 720p. Might be better for me to just manually save previously recorded footage for any trophy highlights.

Also: the trophy page doesn't remember how you sorted it. I keep having to re-sort by 'newly earned' every time I boot up the console. :|

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
First world problems complaining about 15 seconds haha, we've come a long way. I haven't checked out the whole cards thing yet, I'm still a bit confused how they would work in a narrative game like Tsushima. I guess if I just pick a random mission card it'll plop me near where the story begins or something? I think I'm more comfortable with just selecting 'continue' on the main menu though...

Gripe of the Day: the automatically recorded trophy video is a cool idea, but the quality seems pretty poor, it looks barely 720p. Might be better for me to just manually save previously recorded footage for any trophy highlights.

Also: the trophy page doesn't remember how you sorted it. I keep having to re-sort by 'newly earned' every time I boot up the console. :|
Usually it just shows "continue" from my last save data and it just means I get to skip the main menu after the logos. FF7R and Miles Morales both show how this can work for narrative titles.

I think that because I had played Legends mode last it instead showed me the option to jump into that instead. I wasn't expecting that, nor the fact that it skipped the logos!

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
are there still any weird issues/bugs that come up when using an external hdd?

I'm getting a new laptop in a few days and am going to take a Samsung 860 Evo out of the old one and throw it in an enclosure after I migrate/back stuff up on it to use it for PS4 games on the PS5.
It looks they addressed at least one issue with external storage at some point. Best thing to do is check the external storage thread I linked a few posts back and get one of the confirmed working enclosures as it's not clear they have addressed all of the issues or not.

edit: to save you searching it's this thread you need: https://www.resetera.com/threads/be...-ps4-games-on-ps5.320953/page-8#post-52578218

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
How do the cards work for Dark Souls (and upcoming Elden Ring) I wonder? Given how obscure those games are, I can really see the benefit of cards that contain hints for players. I hate going online to get concrete answers for where to go if I'm super stuck, so if cards can provide vague hints, even just an image with no description, to prod me along that would be super convenient.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Damn, HBO Max app on PS5 is really, really bad. I'm using it on a 1080p screen but I think the app isn't reaching even that resolution. Every movie looks blurry.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minor annoyance here, but I hate how HDR turns on for Netflix and YouTube under the "On When Supported" section. I'm guessing there's no way for Sony to recognize this (especially because there is HDR content on both of those platforms - if you have the right package, choose the right content, etc.), but I wish those platforms gave us the choice of turning HDR on or off.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Minor annoyance here, but I hate how HDR turns on for Netflix and YouTube under the "On When Supported" section. I'm guessing there's no way for Sony to recognize this (especially because there is HDR content on both of those platforms - if you have the right package, choose the right content, etc.), but I wish those platforms gave us the choice of turning HDR on or off.

yeah its big annoyence if you use it for media consumption actually.
hdr turns on at app level.
not based on the contents you watch within the app.

xbox handles this correctly for example.
hdr turns on just for hdr youtube videos etc.
apple tv does it too.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Just discovered that there are EQ settings available when you click into Sound via the PS button menu. I tried a random redditor's settings and I think the Pulse headphones improved as a result. (Or maybe it's placebo I dunno)

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Damn, HBO Max app on PS5 is really, really bad. I'm using it on a 1080p screen but I think the app isn't reaching even that resolution. Every movie looks blurry.
Yeah. I used the apps on ps4 but now just use the ones on my LG C9 because the ps5 ones are garbage. Plus the ps5 doesn't support Dobly Atmos or Dobly Vision. Makes a world of a difference tbh.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
got sick and had to stay at home today, was surprised to see the Pulse 3D work seamlessly, I put the usb in, and worked.

Did not even know it would lol pleasantly surprised

Anyone know if the same would work with the xbox wireless headset?

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
got sick and had to stay at home today, was surprised to see the Pulse 3D work seamlessly, I put the usb in, and worked.

Did not even know it would lol pleasantly surprised

Anyone know if the same would work with the xbox wireless headset?

It's a damn good headset.

I tested it with the opening scene of "Ron's Gone Wrong" on both HBO MAX and Disney Plus and it was like the difference between a DVD and Blu-Ray. PS5's media player is making sure I keep on using my Series S for streaming.

Last edited:

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
One of these days Sony will fix the CEC implementation so I can turn on my TV to play something else and not have it turn on my PS5

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I tested it with the opening scene of "Ron's Gone Wrong" on both HBO MAX and Disney Plus and it was like the difference between a DVD and Blu-Ray. PS5's media player is making sure I keep on using my Series S for streaming.

HBO Max still doesn't support 4K on PlayStation platforms. But it's strange that it doesn't even reach 1080p on PS5. Tried Dune yesterday and it looks sub 720p.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
HBO Max still doesn't support 4K on PlayStation platforms. But it's strange that it doesn't even reach 1080p on PS5. Tried Dune yesterday and it looks sub 720p.
Yeah, HBO Max looks awful on PS5. I tried to rewatch Dune the day after I saw it in IMAX, and the quality was like an old DVD. Atrocious.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Could you post those here?

No worries:

100hz : 4db
400hz : 3db
1khz : 4db
4khz : 5db
10khz : 4db

This setting made the volume sound louder for me with a bit more depth, resulting in me not having to up the volume so much on the headphones. Again, not sure if placebo, but gonna keep these settings. I also checked out the 3D settings in the regular sound settings screen, where you adjust the noise of a river according to your ear level, but the default setting was fine for me.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
So I am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to do stuff in the PS5 OS. I had read how simple it was, but it doesn't really feel that simple to me.

How do I pin games so they're toward the start of my games list on the home screen? As far as I can tell I can't do it, but since it is a fairly basic feature I assume I am just overlooking something obvious to do it. On Xbox pressing start gives me an option to add to a group. So I expected something similar here. I installed my preferred games first yesterday, then added a bunch of stuff from the PSN collection to a queue to download and all my PS4 library. But all the stuff I prefer is not on the main games menu. Or do I need to boot something to bring it back to the start of my list?

Can I create groups to separate my games? Or can I only filter them in the games library?

Also... how the hell did I not know about their being a microphone in the PS5 Dual Sense? That's by far the best thing about the controller for me. I prefer the Xbox controller for the feel in hand, and I don't care for the DualSense features. But the microphone trumps everything for convenience for me. No more fucking around powering on my headset waiting for it to connect to the Xbox while people are asking where I am, can I hear them etc. Deadset if Microsoft want to steal an idea, this is what I want them to steal.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
So I am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to do stuff in the PS5 OS. I had read how simple it was, but it doesn't really feel that simple to me.

How do I pin games so they're toward the start of my games list on the home screen? As far as I can tell I can't do it, but since it is a fairly basic feature I assume I am just overlooking something obvious to do it. On Xbox pressing start gives me an option to add to a group. So I expected something similar here. I installed my preferred games first yesterday, then added a bunch of stuff from the PSN collection to a queue to download and all my PS4 library. But all the stuff I prefer is not on the main games menu. Or do I need to boot something to bring it back to the start of my list?

Can I create groups to separate my games? Or can I only filter them in the games library?

Also... how the hell did I not know about their being a microphone in the PS5 Dual Sense? That's by far the best thing about the controller for me. I prefer the Xbox controller for the feel in hand, and I don't care for the DualSense features. But the microphone trumps everything for convenience for me. No more fucking around powering on my headset waiting for it to connect to the Xbox while people are asking where I am, can I hear them etc. Deadset if Microsoft want to steal an idea, this is what I want them to steal.

No pins, no folders, no groups on the home screen as yet. But yeah, boot a game and it will move to the front so with a little use your preferred games will be there automatically.

The best "secret" feature of the Dualsense is if you hold the mic mute button for 2-3 seconds it will mute all audio for the whole system. Amazingly handy instead of having to reach for the TV / AVR remote if someone wants to speak etc.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Well just got gifted a PS5 digital edition, not fully sure on what is PSN, PS Now, and what are the best ways to find deals here, been full Nintendo ecosystem for most of my life, need a tutorial, the last and only Sony console I had was the PS3 and only beat a game.

will it always glow orange while sleep charging the controller?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Well just got gifted a PS5 digital edition, not fully sure on what is PSN, PS Now, and what are the best ways to find deals here, been full Nintendo ecosystem for most of my life, need a tutorial, the last and only Sony console I had was the PS3 and only beat a game.

Yes unfortunately, just looked at the power saving menu and you can only switch off usb power and internet, they should have an option to control the light as well.

Last edited:

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020

PSN is the network part of the PS infrastructure, like the shop. Deals can be found easily and normally are are presented quite obvious at the front page. Furthermore you can put games on a wishlist and you get a pop-up when one of those games is discounted.

PS+ is a subscription service that allows you also to play online (some games don't need PS+) gives you cloud saves, special discounts and 2-4 free games per month (free as long as you are subscribed)
Furthermore for PS5 you get access to the PS+ Collection. Some of Sony's best PS4 first party games and more for free: https://youtu.be/iEsLzh0xLZc

PSNow is a subscription service that gives you access to a huge free game library that you can stream and/or download.
Yes unfortunately, just looked at the power saving menu and you can only switch off usb power and internet, they should have an option to control the light as well.
The console doesn't need to be in sleep mode to charge the controller. There are always-on USBs (the one on the front for example) that charge when off.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Gripe of the Day: Upload speeds are agonisingly slow. I just want to put a 200MB video on youtube but it's gonna take me 3 hours. On fibre internet. :|

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So the 40fps mode is the best mode for Ratchet when you have a 120fps supported TV right?
As that gives a nice smooth fps and also the benefit of raytracing?

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
So the 40fps mode is the best mode for Ratchet when you have a 120fps supported TV right?

yeah on paper, its the fidelity mode running at 40fps basically.
haven't seen it myself, you just need to check if
60 to 40fps difference is ok for you.
there is also a 60fps ray tracing performance mode,
which is already pretty great tbh.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
After 40 hours I've only just unlocked Ghost Stance in Ghost of Tsushima...

ce38224546636c822ecbbf982569def7.gif

When do you think the PS5 will see a game as gorgeous as this one btw? It's truly stunning. I have no doubt we'll see nice landscapes in Horizon Forbidden West, but Tsushima is gorgeous. I keep trying to find flaws but coming up empty, there isn't even any pop-up in the distance. PS5 is really blowing my mind.

Actually I'll say one negative thing: the Mongol archers are literally the fucking worst I have ever suffered in any video game. I would rather hang out with the archers of Souls games any day of the week. "DOSHO!!!"

Also, any rumours on what Sucker Punch's next game will be? I really want them to somehow turn this into a franchise by visiting other eras. Basically replace the bloated and tired Assassin's Creed series.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

It's a great way to play but Performance RT is also great if you don't mind losing some RT quality and lower overall res to get the extra 20fps.

For my money, I Platinumed the entire game in Performance RT before they even patched in the 40fps mode but I booted it back up to try it out a bit and it looked great. I play on an LG CX.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
I only just got this game today. It looks outstanding and plays incredibly well at 40fps.

First and only game so far to blow me away on PS5 (from a small range though). I had high expectations for Spiderman Miles Morales. Looked pretty average when I played it regardless of which mode I opted for. Just never looked amazing to me.

This though. Holy shit. 40fps plays incredibly well and the picture is just beautiful. 40fps is such a great compromise to achieve a better image and maintain a nice frame rate. Never felt the need to try performance mode.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
After 40 hours I've only just unlocked Ghost Stance in Ghost of Tsushima...

ce38224546636c822ecbbf982569def7.gif

When do you think the PS5 will see a game as gorgeous as this one btw? It's truly stunning. I have no doubt we'll see nice landscapes in Horizon Forbidden West, but Tsushima is gorgeous. I keep trying to find flaws but coming up empty, there isn't even any pop-up in the distance. PS5 is really blowing my mind.

Actually I'll say one negative thing: the Mongol archers are literally the fucking worst I have ever suffered in any video game. I would rather hang out with the archers of Souls games any day of the week. "DOSHO!!!"

Also, any rumours on what Sucker Punch's next game will be? I really want them to somehow turn this into a franchise by visiting other eras. Basically replace the bloated and tired Assassin's Creed series.

I think this post might be better suited for the Playstation Studios OT rather than this one.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really hope that cloud storage become a standard feature at some point. I lost everything a couple weeks ago and I just haven't had the heart to play the system. Just don't have it in me to start some of these games all over.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great way to play but Performance RT is also great if you don't mind losing some RT quality and lower overall res to get the extra 20fps.

For my money, I Platinumed the entire game in Performance RT before they even patched in the 40fps mode but I booted it back up to try it out a bit and it looked great. I play on an LG CX.

I only just got this game today. It looks outstanding and plays incredibly well at 40fps.

First and only game so far to blow me away on PS5 (from a small range though). I had high expectations for Spiderman Miles Morales. Looked pretty average when I played it regardless of which mode I opted for. Just never looked amazing to me.

This though. Holy shit. 40fps plays incredibly well and the picture is just beautiful. 40fps is such a great compromise to achieve a better image and maintain a nice frame rate. Never felt the need to try performance mode.
Guess will try both. Believe DF also said that Performance mode + RT still looks great

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Finally got around to installing my SSD and it turned out to be very very easy, even though I used to build my own PC setup years ago usually ;) Bought the Samsung SN850 1 TB and bequiet MC1 Cooler, actually the latter one was harder to get than the SSD ;) Cool thing is, the cooler comes with a small screwdriver, so you don't even need to get out any extra tools for installing the SSD. Screwdriver works perfectly well for the SSD Slot and screw in the slot as well as for mounting the really really tiny screws for the cooler itself. PS5 did not explode and it still works and the SSD, it was kind of getting annoying to uninstall games from time to time by now.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in a bit of a curfuffle.

I was able to secure an order of a Ps5 on the 13th, I was charged, but then a few days later the charge disappeared. Now the Ps5 has shipped, but the charge isn't showing up on my billing again...

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in to ask if it's getting easier for any of you to secure a console? I got mine on launch day and I really feel for those of you who weren't lucky enough to get one by now.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Just popping in to ask if it's getting easier for any of you to secure a console? I got mine on launch day and I really feel for those of you who weren't lucky enough to get one by now.
In the NA, retailers are requiring service bundles to purchase a console or mandating multiple extras bundled like a game and controller. Much less attractive for resellers so it does seem easier to get one currently.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a bit of a curfuffle.

I was able to secure an order of a Ps5 on the 13th, I was charged, but then a few days later the charge disappeared. Now the Ps5 has shipped, but the charge isn't showing up on my billing again...

Charge will come back. Initial value was a "pre-authorization", not actual charge. Now that the unit has shipped, you will be charged within a few days.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of drops on amazon UK this week. Me and my friends all very easily got one. Its prime only.
But you even have time to start a prime sub and then order when it goes live.
And then after it cancel it again haha

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
So every time I turn on my ps5 I've been hearing this griding noise coming from the disc drive :-( Anyone know what this might be? I have kids so im thinking maybe they threw something in there but not sure. I usually tape the disc drive shut for this reason .