• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I was lucky enough to grab a PS5 on last week's Wal-Mart drop. I got even luckier when they emailed me to say my Digital Edition would be upgraded to a Disc model because they oversold.

I'm excited, but a bit bummed because it hasn't shipped yet. Currently says I should have it by July 13th but I'm greedy and want it now.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I was lucky enough to grab a PS5 on last week's Wal-Mart drop. I got even luckier when they emailed me to say my Digital Edition would be upgraded to a Disc model because they oversold.

I'm excited, but a bit bummed because it hasn't shipped yet. Currently says I should have it by July 13th but I'm greedy and want it now.

Maybe it will arrive sooner.

My delivery date wasn't supposed to be until June 30th and I just got it yesterday (22nd). I ordered mine from Gamestop.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I click 'View Product' and then click the (...) again I believe and it's there. It's a 50~ GB download and I was able to delete the PS4 disc install after that. Either that or it's in the Addon/DLC section down a little further?
hmm...I'll have to try it out after work today. There is crossplay between the Ps4 and 5 versions right?

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Mines out for delivery now. Hate that I'm not home, but I've never had a problem with porch pirates in my neighborhood before.

Actually I'm not sure, does anyone know if CostCo deliveries make you sign for it?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Mines out for delivery now. Hate that I'm not home, but I've never had a problem with porch pirates in my neighborhood before.

Actually I'm not sure, does anyone know if CostCo deliveries make you sign for it?
Don't they need a signature for stuff like that? Might not be a thing now because of covid, but I remember having to provide a signature when I got my PS4 Pro.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Do the new controllers have better battery life?
If you mean the DualSense 5s, then it varies, depending on haptic and adjustable trigger use. In my experience, when playing PS4 games they have slightly less charge life than a DS4, and when playing DS5 games they have noticeably less. I've heard other people saying they have a longer life than a DS4 while playing PS4 games though. If you mean the new colored ones in comparison to the at-launch white ones, the only reason they'd have better battery life is because they have fresher batteries; they're still the same DualSenses, just with different-colored plastic.

Since we started getting wireless controllers back in the PS3 days, I've always bought two controllers and a charge station, so regardless of the battery life of an individual controller I've never had an issue. If the controller I'm using gets low, I just swap for the one in the charger. So far no one's ever made a controller that takes more time to charge than it takes to run down.
...Currently ps5 is like a rumor, no one have one and no one have seen one...
That's patently untrue. Despite its apparent scarcity, the PS5 is in fact setting records in terms of sales; it's actually the fastest-selling console in US history. Back in March Sony said it had already topped 7.8 million units sold. Demand is also through the roof, making it look like there's a small supply, but almost all of those 7.8 million units are in the hands of players (if scalpers were holding onto a significant portion of all PS5 units produced so far, they'd be out of business).

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Yesterday I finally managed to place an order for a PS5 ( the Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart edition). Will pick it up next week. Feels good to finally be on the Sony next gen train and join the hype for the coming exclusives!

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I feel so frustrated with the fact that I have not been able to get one. It sucks how hard it is to get your hands on one to the point that I think I just have given up and would just rather wait to the point they are readily available that I can walk up to my local walmart and buy it. I know there's no rush to get one right now but the fact that most of my friends have been lucky enough to get it is setting some FOMO on me.
Anyways, just needed to vent for a moment
I feel better now

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I feel so frustrated with the fact that I have not been able to get one. It sucks how hard it is to get your hands on one to the point that I think I just have given up and would just rather wait to the point they are readily available that I can walk up to my local walmart and buy it. I know there's no rush to get one right now but the fact that most of my friends have been lucky enough to get it is setting some FOMO on me.
I feel better now
Beyond following a good tracker, there is not much else to do and not something to lose sleep over.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
That would give me anxiety.
Boy howdy, did it ever.

Well I got the PS5 set up and got to play with it for a little over an hour. Quick impressions:
- I knew it would be big but goddamn, luckily it fits in the cubby hole of my entertainment stand
- control feels nice, a bit heavier. Not a huge fan of the material on the back but I guess that's for better grip?
- Ratchet and Clank looks amazing, as expected
- I'll have to get used to having multi-level trigger pushes though, I kept not pulling the trigger far enough and shooting slow on accident
- briefly tried Street Fighter 5 to see how well the loading has improved, and yeah quite a lot. It still takes a minute to boot but I think that's the server's fault

Lastly, with the PS+ collection and all the PS5 PS+ games I accumulated, plus Ratchet and Clank and Astrobot, I'm having a hard time picking a game to start with. Probably start with R&C, but man there's a lot to try out.

Oct 27, 2017
For those who ordered their system thru PS Direct and got the 1-2 day shipping, how long did it take to ship? Mine has been stuck on preparing to ship since yesterday

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Bought one from a reseller. Not proud but it is what it is. Got some health problems that prevent me from checking online every day or going to a store.

Anyway to turn of the screenshot icon when you take a screenshot?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I feel better now

hang in there, I had to wait until wave 6 in my local sellers, been an excruciating wave 1 to 5 for the past several months to get one

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the Nioh Collection for PS5 (which looks and performs amazing so far) and oh no...Sony put the Greatest Hits labels on the in game dashboard icons...looks so scuffed ;_;

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I bought the Nioh Collection for PS5 (which looks and performs amazing so far) and oh no...Sony put the Greatest Hits labels on the in game dashboard icons...looks so scuffed ;_;

Cant wait for the icons to look like this
51V-HzuL6%2BL._AC_.jpg

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Is there any indication of additional media apps coming to PS5? VRV, Criterion Channel, Fox Sports, Paramount+ etc?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody had problems with the Media Remote arbitrarily turning itself back on after you've turned it off? Tonight I caught it repeatedly waking up my PS5 from Rest Mode (which makes me wonder how often it's been doing that while I'm at work or asleep). Is it a battery problem?

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got my PS5 yesterday an I am replaying God of War.

How do I know I have the PS5 version downloaded? Google says it should show PS5 on the home screen instead of PS4 which for me it does not.

However, I do have the option for Enhanced Performance Mode in game for 4K 60fps.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

How do I know I have the PS5 version downloaded? Google says it should show PS5 on the home screen instead of PS4 which for me it does not.

However, I do have the option for Enhanced Performance Mode in game for 4K 60fps.
There is no PS5 version of God of War, it's just a PS4 game with an extra fps option so you're good. Same for Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, TLoU2.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

There's no PS5 version. Make sure to check the 4k 60fps option in the game settings

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no PS5 version of God of War, it's just a PS4 game with an extra fps option so you're good. Same for Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, TLoU2.
There's no PS5 version. Make sure to check the 4k 60fps option in the game settings

Ahh okay. On google it sounded like if you had the PS5 upgrade downloaded it would list it as PS5 instead of PS4. I guess that's the case if there is a PS5 and PS5 version of the game.

I misunderstood.

Thanks!

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Ahh okay. On google it sounded like if you had the PS5 upgrade downloaded it would list it as PS5 instead of PS4. I guess that's the case if there is a PS5 and PS5 version of the game.

I misunderstood.

Thanks!
Yep, there are some games where there is an actual standalone PS5 upgrade version rather than a patch - they are able to enable more changes this way, though often there is an independent tropy list and some procedure to go through to migrate PS4 save games across since it is an actual "different game" unit. FVIIR would be a recent example, also Spiderman, COD Blops Cold War, Wreckfest, FFXIV, Warframe, lots more.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody knows if there is a good controller charging station available that supports both the DualSense and the SeriesX controller?

I could only find one on Amazon and the user reviews are really bad for it...

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
Finished playing Horizon last night and went to turn my PS5 off but it just kept flashing white instead of shutting down, after 5 minutes i had no choice but to unplug it so i could go to bed.

i quickly tried it again today and it had to do repairs and i got a warning screen not to unplug it while it's powered on, thankfully everything seems to be fine but i was nervous for a while.

it's the first and hopefully only time that happens.

Flaxh

Dec 5, 2018
Hey everyone! I bought a digital PS5 4 months ago and have been playing PS4 games that I didn't get the chance to play before while waiting for the ps5 launch titles like
Spiderman MM or demons souls to go down in price.
However, I've been noticing that I can get for ex Rift Apart for 20€ cheaper on physical pre order then the psn store price. Should I move to the standard ps5 version? I don't mind waiting a bit to buy the games but it's seem that by going digital I'll either spend a lot more money by the end of the generation or have to wait several months at least to play the games.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone! I bought a digital PS5 4 months ago and have been playing PS4 games that I didn't get the chance to play before while waiting for the ps5 launch titles like
Spiderman MM or demons souls to go down in price.
However, I've been noticing that I can get for ex Rift Apart for 20€ cheaper on physical pre order then the psn store price. Should I move to the standard ps5 version? I don't mind waiting a bit to buy the games but it's seem that by going digital I'll either spend a lot more money by the end of the generation or have to wait several months at least to play the games.

You're definitely going to be waiting longer on digital sales. Some digital prices might not ever go as low as some physical prices. It took a few months but there's been sales on both physical and digital games, and not long after each other. But that might not always be the case. I bought a PS5 over the digital console, primarily to get games cheaper physically.

You can probably break even on your digital right now, but it may be a while before you can get a PS5 at MSRP. If it's financially viable, maybe get a PS5 before selling your digital console?

Flaxh

Dec 5, 2018
You're definitely going to be waiting longer on digital sales. Some digital prices might not ever go as low as some physical prices. It took a few months but there's been sales on both physical and digital games, and not long after each other. But that might not always be the case. I bought a PS5 over the digital console, primarily to get games cheaper physically.

You can probably break even on your digital right now, but it may be a while before you can get a PS5 at MSRP. If it's financially viable, maybe get a PS5 before selling your digital console?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I almost bought the Rift Apart bundle this week but decided to get some feedback first. I have some friends looking to get a ps5 so it will be pretty easy to get rid of my digital one

If I get the standard version, can I easily swap between games as long as they're installed on the hard drive? Or do I have to insert the discs as well? How noisy is it as well? I remember having a console that was pretty loud while playing with disks.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
If I get the standard version, can I easily swap between games as long as they're installed on the hard drive? Or do I have to insert the discs as well? How noisy is it as well? I remember having a console that was pretty loud while playing with disks.
All games will need to be installed from disc onto the SSD and you will need to insert the disc for whichever game you want to play each time.

Installing a game will generate some noise but once installed it'll only do an hourly check which spins the disc. This isn't particularly noisy and doesn't last long.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
For the love of God Sony please enable the m2 slot
I agree, but...the longer they take, the cheaper m2 cards will be (although COVID-related supply issues will likely mess up that usually-correct rule of thumb). Until then, I've been storing my library of PS4 games - which of course dwarfs the PS5 library - on an external SSD, and it's a pretty fantastic experience. I haven't even deleted anything from the internal storage yet, because I have so few PS5 games.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I almost bought the Rift Apart bundle this week but decided to get some feedback first. I have some friends looking to get a ps5 so it will be pretty easy to get rid of my digital one

You'll need to swap discs for each game. The drive is pretty noisy while it installs. It used to be loud when it did disc checks at launch. It used to be a every 20 mins or so, but I think that's been increased to once every 60 mins now.

I definitely noticed the disc checks at launch, but not after the update from April. I think they lowered the spin speed for the authentication, but that might just be placebo. It definitely seems quieter now though.