• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
So I just set up my new PS5, and in storage, the "Other" category is at 220GB. What the fuck? Theres barely any room to install actual games.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
You guys/gals think Sony will ever do soemthing to improve PS Now's offerings? It doesn't have to be exclusives directly on there, but like third party games going directly on there? I just feel like I subscribe to gamefly and just wish Sony had something going for them with the PS Now.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Is there a guide, or preferably a thread here, discussing 3D audio in terms of headphones, notably how to set it up, whether all BT headphones work or if they have to be connected to the dual sense etc etc?

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a guide, or preferably a thread here, discussing 3D audio in terms of headphones, notably how to set it up, whether all BT headphones work or if they have to be connected to the dual sense etc etc?
Not sure about a guide, I'll take a stab at answering your questions:

For the latter part - No BT headphones work, if you want wireless they need to be wireless gaming headphones connected to USB (or via adapter of some sort), or any wired headphones connected to the controller or a stereo USB DAC will work.

How to set it up: There are two settings in the PS5 settings menu:

"Enable 3D Audio" - Self-explanatory, this will need to be enabled for the 3D audio effect to be heard. Perhaps not so obviously (and annoyingly), most discerning listeners would recommend this should be manually togged off for non-3D audio games (that is, most every PS4 BC game). If left enabled, I believe it tries to simulate surround sound instead of direct audio from the games, which many think does not sound as good. YMMV.

"Adjust 3D Audio Profile" - With 3D audio enabled, this will play the sound of running water, and each of the options makes it use a different HRTF. These have the effect of raising the water stream up or down. It is suggested to adjust so that the water sounds about parallel with your ears. This is basically an experiment area, see which works best for your ears.

Edit: There is a large thread on USB DACs for PS5 here:

www.resetera.com

PS5 USB DAC compatibility

Hello, I’m thinking of getting a Sennheiser 560D will I be able to connect them to DAC/AMP and hear both my pc (YouTube videos) and me gaming on the PS5? Could I accomplish this using a mixamp pro tr or a sound blaster gc7? I don’t want to use any extractor I have a C2 available with optical...

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Not sure about a guide, I'll take a stab at answering your questions:

For the latter part - No BT headphones work, if you want wireless they need to be wireless gaming headphones connected to USB (or via adapter of some sort), or any wired headphones connected to the controller or a stereo USB DAC will work.

How to set it up: There are two settings in the PS5 settings menu:

"Enable 3D Audio" - Self-explanatory, this will need to be enabled for the 3D audio effect to be heard. Perhaps not so obviously (and annoyingly), most discerning listeners would recommend this should be manually togged off for non-3D audio games (that is, most every PS4 BC game). If left enabled, I believe it tries to simulate surround sound instead of direct audio from the games, which many think does not sound as good. YMMV.

"Adjust 3D Audio Profile" - With 3D audio enabled, this will play the sound of running water, and each of the options makes it use a different HRTF. These have the effect of raising the water stream up or down. It is suggested to adjust so that the water sounds about parallel with your ears. This is basically an experiment area, see which works best for your ears.

Many thanks. I had a pair of USB headphones that worked on the PS4. I am presuming they will work in a similar fashion. I still find it baffling that Sony don't support bluetooth headphones without the need for an adapter. I'm guessing it is a latency issue of some kind.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Just noticed that the texture on the back of my Dualsense started wearing down, at the 2 spots where it touches the surface when laying down.
Anyone else noticed this?

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I have some setting off or not but my console doesn't seem to be downloading updates in rest mode. Whenever I turn the system back on it switches from LAN disconnected and then queues up the downloads. Don't know how to fix it.

Also my controller battery life is absolutely abysmal. It can be full and then need to be charged again 5 hours later.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if I have some setting off or not but my console doesn't seem to be downloading updates in rest mode. Whenever I turn the system back on it switches from LAN disconnected and then queues up the downloads. Don't know how to fix it.

Also my controller battery life is absolutely abysmal. It can be full and then need to be charged again 5 hours later.

I had the exact same thing with downloads in rest mode.

What happens most of the time is I switch the console on and then it downloads the update.

Apparently the console just does intermittent checks as opposed to downloading and installing as soon as something is available.

So if you switch your console off at 12am and it does it's check at 5am and the game update releases at 7am it won't download until you switch the console on at say 7pm the next day. The only way it would download the update is if in my example you switch your console on a couple days later so it had done its next "check".

I don't know the time frames for check etc so the time frames are just examples.

I always assumed it would just download and install things as and when.

I have two controllers and they are always fully charged as they sit in the dual sense charging dock but noticed one of my controllers has about a 2 hour battery life which isn't normal at all. The other can last anywhere from 5-8 hours depending what games I'm playing.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
I have two controllers and they are always fully charged as they sit in the dual sense charging dock but noticed one of my controllers has about a 2 hour battery life which isn't normal at all. The other can last anywhere from 5-8 hours depending what games I'm playing.
I'm noticing markedly lower charge life while playing Ratchet & Clank, but that's because for the last few months all I've played are PS4 games. Haptics on the PS4 use way less energy than haptics on the DS5 (but I'm totally okay with that tradeoff - when the DS5 is used well it's amazing!).

Jan 10, 2018
Have they taken away the option to sort your friends list? I had so many friends in a Destiny 2 folder but now I have no clue how I know some of them. xD

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm noticing markedly lower charge life while playing Ratchet & Clank, but that's because for the last few months all I've played are PS4 games. Haptics on the PS4 use way less energy than haptics on the DS5 (but I'm totally okay with that tradeoff - when the DS5 is used well it's amazing!).
Not necessarily the haptics, but the triggers. I can imagine the triggers eat into battery life a decent amount.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone ever have a perfectly fine looking disc come up as unreadable? My copy of R&C finally arrived from gamefly and is having this issue. There are absolutely no scratches or dings.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I have a disc PS5 on the way from WalMart... Has anyone bought black side plates from Amazon or similar? Recommendations? I like for my systems to disappear under/behind my TV so I'll be making it black.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
can someone explain to me what the PS Now on PC app is...so I don't need to own a PS console and can stream any game onto a PC?

ABitAshamed

Feb 10, 2019
Estimated that the chip shortage will continue industry wide until mid 2022, but it could possibly extend to early 2023.
So it's still possible to imagine ps5 available this holiday, I'm really wondering if their going to release a pro version when the standard version isn't really 'available' almost one year after the release

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
So it's still possible to imagine ps5 available this holiday, I'm really wondering if their going to release a pro version when the standard version isn't really 'available' almost one year after the release
Even if supply is better for the PS5 you should still expect stock to sell out in minutes. A possible Pro version would not come out until holiday 2024 at the earliest so the shortage should be over by then.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
720p but that's getting upgraded to 1080 if it hasn't already.

I just did a Google search and saw this article...

PlayStation Now will roll out support for 1080p streaming starting this week (article dated April 22, 2021)

Sony will begin rolling out support for 1080p streaming with PlayStation Now beginning this week, upping the streaming quality from the cloud gaming service's previous 720p cap...

www.theverge.com

PlayStation Now will roll out support for 1080p streaming starting this week

Previously, PS Now games could only stream at up to 720p.

ABitAshamed

Feb 10, 2019
Even if supply is better for the PS5 you should still expect stock to sell out in minutes. A possible Pro version would not come out until holiday 2024 at the earliest so the shortage should be over by then.
Yes but wouldn't it be the exact same with extreme rarity of the pro iteration? Currently ps5 is like a rumor, no one have one and no one have seen one, I mean their purpose is have a market, here their is a demand but offer isn't there to answer. I don't see sony launch a new product with too much shortage (and I might be completely wrong I'm just saying my current point of view)

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Yes but wouldn't it be the exact same with extreme rarity of the pro iteration? Currently ps5 is like a rumor, no one have one and no one have seen one, I mean their purpose is have a market, here their is a demand but offer isn't there to answer. I don't see sony launch a new product with too much shortage (and I might be completely wrong I'm just saying my current point of view)
There are two points you have to remember, even with the shortage the PS5 is their best selling console ever, and the point of the PS5 Pro would be to dissuade people from shifting to PCs with better hardware in three years time. So even if demand in three years is incredible and base systems are selling out, they can continue that momentum with a Pro system and with the chip shortage over they will continue to break sales records.

Are the store links shareable or tied to PSN ID? I'd like to share with an Era member if possible.
You mean linking a product page? They should be universal.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone ever have a perfectly fine looking disc come up as unreadable? My copy of R&C finally arrived from gamefly and is having this issue. There are absolutely no scratches or dings.
Do other discs work? While not PS5 specifically, I had a friend who had the same thing happen with their copy of MK8 on the Wii U a few years back. Their copy was brand new, no scratches or imperfections, but it would not read the disc. However, my copy of MK8 worked great in the same Wii U.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017

I don't use Gamefly, could it possibly be some cleaning fluid they use between customer use, that left residue, or maybe some covid related antibacterial cleaning. Try giving the disc a wipe

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
image0.jpg
we need that Internal SSD upgrade ASAP

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Mine also came!

Time to replay It Takes Two on the PS5 edition with my gf. We did the PS4 version first since we had a Dual Sense and DS4.
I have the disc version of that game and the cover says I can get a free digital upgrade to the Ps5 version. But every time I put the disc in the system only offers the trial version

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I have the disc version of that game and the cover says I can get a free digital upgrade to the Ps5 version. But every time I put the disc in the system only offers the trial version

I click 'View Product' and then click the (...) again I believe and it's there. It's a 50~ GB download and I was able to delete the PS4 disc install after that. Either that or it's in the Addon/DLC section down a little further?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The PS5 controller really is an incredible piece of tech. Playing through Returnal is such an engrossing audio visual and physical experience because the feedback makes you feel every weapon. The environments are so much more alive with the little crunchy pulses. I really hope MS rips this off for the next Elite controller. It's hard going back to games that don't utilize it

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Have to say my big. PS5 was collecting dust for the first 6 months of so but in the last 2 Sony has just gone bang bang bang bang with FF7R Intergrade, TLOU 2 patch, Returnal and Ratchet. Even Metro Exodus Enhanced is a ridiculously upgrade and better than the SX version.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Have to say, mine hasn't had a chance to gather dust. Bought a Series X at the same time and am definitely playing my PS5 more. In regard custom plates, are DBrand worth waiting it out for, or are there alternative options out there, of the same quality?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I've spent every single month since the PS5 released using it.
Either with new games or taking care of my backlog i don't have a minute with nothing to play on it.

Some PS Plus games have been great as well.