• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Weird. Last firmware update for my TV was November 2019, and they're connected directly to each other (no intervening AV system). I can't think what changed ~2 weeks ago that would have affected the HDMI handshake.
Do you have an amp in the chain at all? Sorry was on mobile when I replied and missed that you don't.

Try a different cable if you can and if you're still having issues try a different port on your TV.

Last edited:

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Anyone else have the Pulse 3D sound completely drop out now and then? Really annoying when it happens during speech.

Yes, my problem was that I had the the dongle in a hub on the rear USB port with my external HDD in the second rear port. The HDD's proximity apparently caused significant interference, so I began putting the dongle in the front USB port, and since then the sound has been pretty steady, though there's still an occasional rare drop.

It's a bummer, I really liked having the front of the PS5 completely open. Also, I can't leave the dongle in all the time, because my toddler occasionally pulls it out and hides it somewhere.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. Last firmware update for my TV was November 2019, and they're connected directly to each other (no intervening AV system). I can't think what changed ~2 weeks ago that would have affected the HDMI handshake.
Sometimes TVs and Playstations get in weird states. Try turning off completely both the TV and PS5 and unplugging them from the wall for a few minutes.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, my problem was that I had the the dongle in a hub on the rear USB port with my external HDD in the second rear port. The HDD's proximity apparently caused significant interference, so I began putting the dongle in the front USB port, and since then the sound has been pretty steady, though there's still an occasional rare drop.

It's a bummer, I really liked having the front of the PS5 completely open. Also, I can't leave the dongle in all the time, because my toddler occasionally pulls it out and hides it somewhere.

Oh, thanks! I've got the same setup so must be the same problem.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Just received a brand new PS5 today, hooray! However I am having an issue connecting this to my AVR (Marantz NR1510) and wondering if anyone else has had issues or has a suggestion to resolve.

Edit: learned that there's no real benefit to doing this so just plugged it into the tv.

As far as silence goes though mine makes a somewhat audible whirring sound. Not noticeable when playing a game but it's not the kind of dead silence I was expecting. Anyone else notice this with theirs?

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I hesitate to get Wipeout Omega on PS5, has anyone played it? It's 35€ on the psn store so I hope it runs perfectly.
It has dynamic res to keep locked FPS, but I'm guessing that's not an issue on PS5. Otherwise one of the best collection of games. I know SkillUp is banned on Era, but you can look up his review on youtube.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
I'm looking for a wireless headset that I can connect to both my PS5 and phone (for discord) at the same time. Steelseries Arctis 9 and Audeze Penrose are the only ones I can find. Are there any other?

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I have had no luck with getting a support agent to do a refund for me. After typing in my name, my psn mail address and my psn username, a new screen tells me to wait and a few seconds later I land at the "postchat" screen which consists of an empty grey rectangle and a blue rectangle with Playstation in it. Tried Chrome and Edge. What can I do?

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
Do you have an adblocker installed in your browser? That sounds like the kind of an issue an adblocker would cause. Alternatively, maybe the support site is trying to pop up a new window for chat, but you have pop-up windows blocked in your browser settings. In Chrome, that would be:

Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Site Settings -> Content -> Pop-ups and redirects

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Just received a brand new PS5 today, hooray! However I am having an issue connecting this to my AVR (Marantz NR1510) and wondering if anyone else has had issues or has a suggestion to resolve.

Edit: learned that there's no real benefit to doing this so just plugged it into the tv.

As far as silence goes though mine makes a somewhat audible whirring sound. Not noticeable when playing a game but it's not the kind of dead silence I was expecting. Anyone else notice this with theirs?
It's probably the fan. This is not a dead silent system like Series X is. Very quiet, yes, but definitely not dead silent. Out of curiosity, though, do you hear the whirring even when a game isn't being played/suspended? Some people hear the fan whether a game is open or not, but I only hear it when a game is on or suspended.

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Finally got my PS5. Playing on my 55" LG OLED. My 6yr old loves Astro.

Demon's Souls and Spiderman look so damn good. And genuinely impressed by the controller.

Console also looks quite nice sitting next to the Series S on the shelf.

Biggest complaint is the system UI and PS Store layout are both so clunky. I haven't played my PS4 in over a year... was the PS Store always this bad?

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
It's probably the fan. This is not a dead silent system like Series X is. Very quiet, yes, but definitely not dead silent. Out of curiosity, though, do you hear the whirring even when a game isn't being played/suspended? Some people hear the fan whether a game is open or not, but I only hear it when a game is on or suspended.
To be honest the sound appears to be nearly constant whether playing a game (can only hear during quiet parts) or just idle with nothing running. Impressive how quiet it is running a game, but I would be bothered leaving it on unless putting in rest mode.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a whirring sound, it's definitely the fan. But I can only hear it when I mute the audio and put my head right next to the system. I certainly can't hear it from the couch, even without sound coming from the speakers.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Biggest complaint is the system UI and PS Store layout are both so clunky. I haven't played my PS4 in over a year... was the PS Store always this bad?

Yeah, the PS5 store is really bad. It's so bare bones. It doesn't even have any categories beyond "PS4 games" and "PS5 games". And in the PS4 list are tons of VR games that I don't care about.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Anyone find dual sense skins or grips that a)are decent quality (stickybunny sucks) and b) will let the controllers continue to fit and charge on the official dock?

Also my matte black Cmp shell came today and it looks incredible compared to the stock white. Good investment for a dusty house like mine, too

Mr Robot

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Been coming up on a week now of owning and its been great, held out on playing alot of games like Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima, Tlou2 , Days gone because i wasn't intrigued enough by the pro although i was hoping that tlou2, gt sport and horizon would get some sort of ps5 enhancement maybe on a system level was kinda disappointed with gt sport visually coming from forza and thought that horizon and tlou2 would have some sort of 60fps mode or at least native 4k but aside from that controller feels better than i expected console is just a few inches smaller than my gaming pc lol but i think it looks great cant wait for more games to drop.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Activity Cards are still my favorite new feature of the PS5 I think. They blow me away every single time and I never get tired of it.
Booting into Nioh 2 mission from cold boot into a mission in 11 seconds is just the bee's knees

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Did it cause issues for you? If you haven't even tried just do it. Most likely you won't be in the minority experiencing issues. Most people have been using external storage without issues. Also check the thread about PS5 external storage, the threadmark in particular.

I had one hard crash shortly after launch while playing Demon's Souls and downloading Jedi: Fallen Order to the external drive, and haven't tried since. I'll check the other thread though, thanks!

Probably not. I just stopped using external storage all together since I've had it corrupt on 3 separate occasions. Just doesn't seem worth it since Sony can't figure their shit out.
Been fine since day one.

Welp, lol. Thank you!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a T7 without any problems, but I do NOT use Rest Mode. Take that for whatever it's worth.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I've been using a T7 without any problems, but I do NOT use Rest Mode. Take that for whatever it's worth.

I thought this was the case as well, so I stopped using rest mode and still got a corrupted HDD. So then I tried ejecting & disconnecting it before shutting it down, eventually, same thing. Corrupted.

It's that WD 4TB "gaming drive". Anyone else using that? Is there a list of HDDs & reported issues?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Same here; had mine plugged in since launch day. I think once, early on, the PS5 wouldn't start up, and when it finally did (don't remember what I did), I had to rebuild the database. Which worked without issues. I'm using a Samsung T5.
I've been using a seagate expansion 2tb along with rest mode.

My attitude with them is even if there are issues I would rather hit them all early while it's still on warranty.

Don't see the point of avoiding it because a few people had issues when it could eventually turn out that those with issues have faulty hardware that one day when everyone's saying its fine will plug a drive in a poof just outside the Rearsby period.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I thought this was the case as well, so I stopped using rest mode and still got a corrupted HDD. So then I tried ejecting & disconnecting it before shutting it down, eventually, same thing. Corrupted.

It's that WD 4TB "gaming drive". Anyone else using that? Is there a list of HDDs & reported issues?
There's a thread somewhere.

Common theory is that it's certain usb sata chipsets causing the issues

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know if an external SATA SSD is appreciably faster with loading times on PS5 than a regular external HDD? Wondering if it's even worth continuing to use my 500GB SSD or if I should just pick up a bigger HDD.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Anybody know if an external SATA SSD is appreciably faster with loading times on PS5 than a regular external HDD? Wondering if it's even worth continuing to use my 500GB SSD or if I should just pick up a bigger HDD.
Some test results here: https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/external-hard-drives/1412996/best-external-hard-drive-for-ps5

It's not the improvement I would have anticipated tbh but I've still got an SSD plugged into mine rather than a HDD

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently a generic $10 bluetooth dongle will work, but I haven't tried it. A bigger name brand is advertising that their dongle works with PS5:
I just called Asus customer service and they said their bluetooth dongle will not work with consoles, so I guess I am gonna have to go for this one specifically saying it will work with Ps5. Thanks

Oct 25, 2017

In my case, all the games I have played have greatly reduced loading times on an SSD compared to an HDD. I did a comparison of 3 of my games that are famous for having long initial load times. In some instances, a whole minute of loading is removed.

HDD

Red Dead Redemption 2.

Loading to overworld 1:31
Fast travel to St Denis 53s
Loading into St Denis 1:43

Final Fantasy XV
Loading to overworld 1:25

Grand Theft Auto V
Loading to overworld 01:33

SSD

Red Dead Redemption 2.

Loading to overworld. 35s
Fast travel to St. Denis 24s
Loading into St. Denis 50s

Final Fantasy XV
Loading to overworld 23s.

Grand Theft Auto V
Loading to overworld: 14s

The improvement is so drastic I just can't go back to an HDD to store my games.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
What are you guys playing? After Demon's Souls, and Worms, and Bugsnax I haven't really messed with the 5 too much. I did finish Yakuza 7 on it, but it was the ps4 version. Kind of hyped for the Oddworld game.

EvanSquared

Nov 25, 2017
When I initially got it I played Miles Morales, Astro, and Bugsnax, which are all PS5 exclusives (or, in the case of Bugsnax, has a specific PS5 version). Since then I've been whittling down my PS4 and PSVR backlog, and I'm perfectly happy with my PS5 being the best way to play PS4 games at the moment. After all, I've been through a number of console generations, and that's always the case - there's only a smattering of new-gen games I'm interested in playing in the first year or more. In the case of the PS4, I basically didn't play it for the first year, since it didn't offer any backwards compatibility.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What are you guys playing? After Demon's Souls, and Worms, and Bugsnax I haven't really messed with the 5 too much. I did finish Yakuza 7 on it, but it was the ps4 version. Kind of hyped for the Oddworld game.

I've finished all of the native PS5 games I picked up aside from Warhammer (as far as ARPG dungeon divers go it's about as mediocre as the genre gets, I simply lost interest after about five hours).

I am waiting on the PS5 update for The Avengers (drops tomorrow) to see if it improves things enough to where I'd want to invest time into it. If not, I plan on playing Minute of Islands on my PS5, which also releases tomorrow, for them sweet trophies.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here familiar with headsets? I need to update my headset as my current set is old as dirt. I'm currently debating between The SENNHEISER PC38X or the SteelSeries Arctis 7P Wireless I want a set that can hopefully take advantage of the PS5s 3D audio feature and has good microphone quality. The Arctic wireless feature is tempting but considering I can simply plug my headset into my controller it's not a huge advantage. Open to potential other options also, these are just the two I've had recommended the most recently.