• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm curious how the ps5 handles games on a 1080p tv
is it internally rendering at 4k(or whatever the game runs at) and then the console super sampling down to 1080p?

when I take screenshots of demon's souls it produces a 4k screenshot even though I'm on a 1080p tv but I'm not sure if that's just cuz the system always spits out a 4k resolution file no matter what or if that's the actual resolution the game is rendering at

Cerbero

Nov 3, 2017
Does anybody know if the Tempest 3D audio works with Bluetooth headphones and if so, which BT adapters work on ps5?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Went damn near a week with no crashes, but just had Demon's Souls launch without audio and crash about five seconds in, going back to the familiar old "blue light and shut down" situation. Turn it back on, yells about the external drive needing to be repaired, press OK, hangs on a black screen indefinitely, have to hold down power until the second beep to restart it one more time before finally getting back in.

If they allowed PS5 saves to be backed up to USB I'd be saving my Demon's Souls data after every session.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Went damn near a week with no crashes, but just had Demon's Souls launch without audio and crash about five seconds in, going back to the familiar old "blue light and shut down" situation. Turn it back on, yells about the external drive needing to be repaired, press OK, hangs on a black screen indefinitely, have to hold down power until the second beep to restart it one more time before finally getting back in.

If they allowed PS5 saves to be backed up to USB I'd be saving my Demon's Souls data after every session.
I think using externals is one of the main issues.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Turned on to find that both fortnite and Cold war were corrupted and required deletion. I haven't touched cold war in like a week and I played fortnite yesterday. Sucks cause now I have to redownload.

I was afraid that every game I had was gonna be corrupted but demons souls and everything else was fine.

Hopefully it was just a small error and my ps5 isn't about to brick.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Ahhhh, managed to snag a PS5 for my daughter for Christmas.
It arrived today.... It now has to sit in a cupboard for 2 weeks
😭
😭
😭
😭

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Version 20.02-02.30.00

• This system software update improves system performance.
  • Resolved an issue where data transfers and downloads were cancelled when trying to download content while a data transfer from a PS4 is in progress.
  • Some issues that were causing errors during text input in some PS4 games have been resolved.
  • The connection stability has been improved for some Wi-Fi routers.

How to update system software on a PS5 console

For the best PlayStation experience, make sure your PlayStation®5 console system software is always updated to the latest version.

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Version 20.02-02.30.00

• Resolved an issue where data transfers and downloads were cancelled when trying to download content while a data transfer from a PS4 is in progress.
  • Some issues that were causing errors during text input in some PS4 games have been resolved.

For the best PlayStation experience, make sure your PlayStation®5 console system software is always updated to the latest version.
Nice. It wasn't on the official site when I posted. Hopefully "system performance" includes fixing crashes, database rebuilds, etc.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Version 20.02-02.30.00

Hope this helps the WiFi issues I had then

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really cant wait till I'm finished with Miles Morales and Demons Souls so I never have to use a disc again.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
How do you guys clean the black, glossy plastic of the system? I have seen some people use canned air to blow the dust off and away from the system since basically any type of cloth will scratch.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, next questions: Do I straight up avoid using an external HDD until issues are fixed, or do I dive in? Which one are people using, does it matter, any guides available? I'm currently looking at the WD 5TB Elements for £92.99 on Amazon. Any insight or opinions on this would be appreciated. :)

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Ahhhh, managed to snag a PS5 for my daughter for Christmas.
It arrived today.... It now has to sit in a cupboard for 2 weeks
😭
😭
😭
😭

Congrats! Saw a friend found one here in Japan this week as well. Seems like they are trickling out in places still. Usual advice would be to do any network updates before the big day if it matters to the person getting it!

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
The download of the update is stuck, the PS5 is responsive, I can back out of the update, but I start the update again and it's stuck at the same amount of data download. It says 40 seconds remaining and it stays there. This happened to anyone else?

EDIT: I realized I could cancel and delete the update from the game download menu so I did that and started the update again and downloaded without problems

Last edited:

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, next questions: Do I straight up avoid using an external HDD until issues are fixed, or do I dive in? Which one are people using, does it matter, any guides available? I'm currently looking at the WD 5TB Elements for £92.99 on Amazon. Any insight or opinions on this would be appreciated. :)

I came here to ask the same. Im constantly deleting stuff on the PS5 and now with CoD and Destiny, a huge chunk of my space is gone. I desperately need to use an external drive :/

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
So here's a weird one that I bet you have not heard before.

I have been playing Destiny 2 PS4 version via BC on my PS5 without any issues.

I update yesterday to the PS5 version and proceed to play.

PS5 crashes I thought, but then my TV and laptop both also appear to have been turned off as well.

This is weird, no power is coming to the bedroom.

I go to the garage and the surge protector is off. I turn it back on and restart Destiny 2 again on PS5 and TV and again power cuts off. Repeat with another game and nothing happens. Delete Destiny 2 redownload again this morning and same thing happens.

Destiny 2 PS5 version is causing a power surge and power to the other half of the house is shutting down.

I know it is hard to believe.

DuHZ3FM.gif

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Hope that update fixes the CEC issues I've been having... The past few days whenever I turn on my receiver, the PS5 automatically turns on even if I'm on a different input. Remote Play turns it fully on as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I came here to ask the same. Im constantly deleting stuff on the PS5 and now with CoD and Destiny, a huge chunk of my space is gone. I desperately need to use an external drive :/
Yeah. I've just been avoiding installing things until I'm comfortable using a drive. I have a 1tb SSD ready to go, and I'd like to install a lot of my PS4 games, but I'll wait.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
I received a bricked ps5, it turned on, then off after PS logo. After installing firmware in safe mode and stuff, it still shut off.

While talking to CS, I switched the plug for the 10th time (i tried it on 2 different rooms and tvs) and now it's on

weird experience

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth

PS5 crashes I thought, but then my TV and laptop both also appear to have been turned off as well.

I go to the garage and the surge protector is off. I turn it back on and restart Destiny 2 again on PS5 and TV and again power cuts off. Repeat with another game and nothing happens. Delete Destiny 2 redownload again this morning and same thing happens.

Destiny 2 PS5 version is causing a power surge and power to the other half of the house is shutting down.

Might just be an issue with the outlet and the power draw from the outlet no? Have you tried putting the PS5 on another outlet, preferably in another area?

Had this issue with a router. Had a powerline adapter attached to the router on one end of the house and the other on my PS3 in another room. Whenever I turned on the PS3 and it started to communicate with the powerline adapter which then started communicating with the router, it would turn off everything attached to that one outlet. I realized I replaced the outlet with the wrong one when I was renovating the room the router was in. I forget the technical term for it but maybe an electrician here can comment on it. The outlet I bought was weaker than the one I had before. Replaced the outlet with a more powerful one and the issue went away immediately.

(This probably has nothing to do with your issue)

Oct 27, 2017

DuHZ3FM.gif
Try a different surge protector? Sometimes they can have a leak in current (not exact language lol) that causes it to trip. I had a surge protector recently that did that. Would turn off power to a whole room immediately when plugged in. It may just be getting old and something about the ps5 trips it or it could be entirely random.

either way try a different surge protector

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
The previous system update solved my turning off/restarting issues. I've only had it turn off two more times after that during a freezing bug on Spider-Man.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Can you play any installed games across different accounts on the same PS5? Specifically, if my roommate bought Cyberpunk digitally on his account, can I run it on mine? I've tried Googling the answer but I'm still confused. Thank you!

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Might just be an issue with the outlet and the power draw from the outlet no? Have you tried putting the PS5 on another outlet, preferably in another area?

Had this issue with a router. Had a powerline adapter attached to the router on one end of the house and the other on my PS3 in another room. Whenever I turned on the PS3 and it started to communicate with the powerline adapter which then started communicating with the router, it would turn off everything attached to that one outlet. I realized I replaced the outlet with the wrong one when I was renovating the room the router was in. I forget the technical term for it but maybe an electrician here can comment on it. The outlet I bought was weaker than the one I had before. Replaced the outlet with a more powerful one and the issue went away immediately.

(This probably has nothing to do with your issue)

Try a different surge protector? Sometimes they can have a leak in current (not exact language lol) that causes it to trip. I had a surge protector recently that did that. Would turn off power to a whole room immediately when plugged in. It may just be getting old and something about the ps5 trips it or it could be entirely random.

either way try a different surge protector
What i find strange is no game is having that effect, only Destiny 2 specifically the PS5 version. I will be looking into buying another higher capacity surge protector so hopefully that prevents a power trip from affecting the whole house. Thanks for the suggestion.

Uncle Fester

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
Every time I delete a game off my external hard drive, it pins a greyed out icon for that game to the front of my main PS5 menu. The only way to get rid of it is to redownload the game. It didn't do this before. Just started a couple days ago. Any ideas?

Also, when I try to update Miles Morales it gives an error code and says something went wrong.

Edit: I fixed the pinned icon by starting to download it again and then canceling it. Weird bug I think.

Deleted Miles and now re-downloading. Hopefully it fixes it.

Last edited:

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
What i find strange is no game is having that effect, only Destiny 2 specifically the PS5 version. I will be looking into buying another higher capacity surge protector so hopefully that prevents a power trip from affecting the whole house. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah I'd see if moving it to another outlet entirely helps. It might be that Destiny is using a lot more of the PSU than other games you own?
In my case with my router, it was fine until I started to watch Netflix or something causing the router to use more power overloading the outlet.
Either that or like you said the surge protector.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
I received a bricked ps5, it turned on, then off after PS logo. After installing firmware in safe mode and stuff, it still shut off.

While talking to CS, I switched the plug for the 10th time (i tried it on 2 different rooms and tvs) and now it's on

weird experience
Nop. Dead

First ever console i have to RMA

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I've been having this HDMI issue where the video input won't show the PS5 video signal unless I switch away from the input and back again... even when the PS5 prompts the televisions to power on. Only ever happens with my PS5—never with my Xbox, PS4, or Switch.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I've been having this HDMI issue where the video input won't show the PS5 video signal unless I switch away from the input and back again... even when the PS5 prompts the televisions to power on. Only ever happens with my PS5—never with my Xbox, PS4, or Switch.
I had this happen too. Had to unplug HDMI on PS5 and replug it while on.Seems like a handshake issue.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
is it cool to put the Ps5 in rest mode? or is it still best practice just to keep it off?

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
Every time I delete a game off my external hard drive, it pins a greyed out icon for that game to the front of my main PS5 menu. The only way to get rid of it is to redownload the game. It didn't do this before. Just started a couple days ago. Any ideas?

Also, when I try to update Miles Morales it gives an error code and says something went wrong.

Edit: I fixed the pinned icon by starting to download it again and then canceling it. Weird bug I think.

Deleted Miles and now re-downloading. Hopefully it fixes it.
I just started getting the greyed out icon issue in the last couple of days too. It started happening following a hard crash that happened trying to install a Ghost of Tsushima patch to the external hard drive, now I keep getting issues updating games with the CE-107938-8 error that's well documented. It's super annoying having to fully re-download games all the time and I'm constantly worried that my system is going to crash. I do love my PS5 but it's unstable as feck.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing it since launch with zero issue. I think the only real common denominator seems to involve having external storage plugged in. Just don't have an external HDD plugged in and you should be good.
thank you. I have been putting mine in rest since I got it, but I've been wondering if I've been doing the right thing.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have zero problem with rest mode when I was playing PS4 games, but couldn't turn on twice when I was playing Watchdogs PS5

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone sometimes have problems starting a game? I admit it doesn't happen often, but occasionally, I'll go to play Demon's Souls and it'll just stay on that load screen wallpaper. I can exit the game and try to go back in but sometimes that doesn't work right away.

What's weird is I took the disc out to see if maybe it was that, but it surely wasn't. However, it's now copying from the disk, which is weird since it was installed.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I see theres also a demand for the Pulse headset. Am I missing something regarding the 3d audio compare to a high end headphones?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Does anyone sometimes have problems starting a game? I admit it doesn't happen often, but occasionally, I'll go to play Demon's Souls and it'll just stay on that load screen wallpaper. I can exit the game and try to go back in but sometimes that doesn't work right away.

What's weird is I took the disc out to see if maybe it was that, but it surely wasn't. However, it's now copying from the disk, which is weird since it was installed.
this seems to be a known issue with Demon's Souls, also waiting on it to be fixed

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I see theres also a demand for the Pulse headset. Am I missing something regarding the 3d audio compare to a head end headphones?

I hear it's a good headset for the price, but I think the scarcity of them currently comes from Sony not preparing enough for launch mixed with marketing buzzwords making it seem more appealing. It's the "official" PS5 headset with "3D audio" to unleash the full potential of the PS5, stuff like that.

I would also wager some people buying it simply because it matches the aesthetic of the PS5 for those who like to keep everything uniform. I also heard it's a bit more comfortable wearing them with the PSVR which is nice for those that still use PSVR or the possible PSVR2 that will come out which I am sure will be designed with these in mind.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

This happen to me earlier today as well. Glad to know it isnt me. I didnt think too much about it and just restarted my PS5.
I hear it's a good headset for the price, but I think the scarcity of them currently comes from Sony not preparing enough for launch mixed with marketing buzzwords making it seem more appealing. It's the "official" PS5 headset with "3D audio" to unleash the full potential of the PS5, stuff like that.

I would also wager some people buying it simply because it matches the aesthetic of the PS5 for those who like to keep everything uniform. I also heard it's a bit more comfortable wearing them with the PSVR which is nice for those that still use PSVR or the possible PSVR2 that will come out which I am sure will be designed with these in mind.
Gotcha. I wasnt sure if there was something unique about it or not.