• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
Is this a serious post and in what way is it constructive or meaningful discourse?

Most PS5's are fine, same as most XSX / XSS ...... those with no issues don't post, those with do and a lot (as would I).

Let's be grown ups here.
I'm worried cuz I have mine sitting next to me unopened and the previous page to my post is all PS5 issue posts.

Oct 27, 2017
Question: Is there any benefit to having a PS4 game on the internal SSD than on an extended storage (hard drive) in terms of resolution & framerate differences?

Also, is transferring fron extended storage to SSD taking forever for anyone else?

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Gtav online loading is a night and day difference.

Stable frame rate too.

This might be a placebo but it honestly feels faster quick loading your cars online.

Edit: sekiro straight up looks like a ps5 game

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
for astros playroom why js there a square saying full game free and im able to download?

but also able to just press play???

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I'm worried cuz I have mine sitting next to me unopened and the previous page to my post is all PS5 issue posts.

Consider that 100's of thousands ... maybe even million / s have been sold. We are seeing small numbers of reports, most are fine.

I understand your concern, I get mine next week (UK) but this is just a fact of mass manufactured electronic goods.

And with parts made by different companies, all mass produced then there will always be chances of defective or dead products.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
I've never bought anything at launch before, but man, I can already tell this was a good purchase. Miles morales looks incredible and the 3D audio is pretty great. I'm not sure how I feel about the dual sense though. I don't really notice any of the haptics or resistive triggers when I'm playing, but maybe that's just because I'm so impressed by the audiovisual experience.
I heard the microphone in the controller is turned on by default which can weaken the haptics (I assume to maintain voice clarity). Not sure if it only does that in games that aren't actively using said mic, but still something to try turning off to see.

shungokusatsu

Dec 16, 2017
Question: Is there any benefit to having a PS4 game on the internal SSD than on an extended storage in terms of resolution & framerate differences?

Also, is transferring fron extended storage to SSD taking forever for anyone else?
No difference to enhancements; those come regardless of how you play. Using an external SSD will allow for internal speeds and faster loading.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I am seeing a lot of banding in my B7. Like everywhere. Something I can do?
Which parts? Specifically on my LG oled, i noticed banding in the opening load of astrobot, in the transitions to the PS studios logo. Though by the time that logo came up , it was perfect black again and it was fine. Then during the loading before the astrobot gameplay, the background space sky had a bit of it. But i dont see this as an issue. In game roaming and exploration was perfect visually.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Go read the XBSX thread. Exact same mood. The people who have working ones are *playing* them. I'm jealous of you. For pragmatic reasons I had to go XBSX for the start of this gen (game pass value got me) but if money weren't in the equation I'd have gotten a PS5. Go enjoy it!

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
Question: Is there any benefit to having a PS4 game on the internal SSD than on an extended storage in terms of resolution & framerate differences?

No benefits.

The Transfers fit me are much faster than the Pro ever was. There's a lot to that question though, mainly the speed of the SSD and the usb cable you're using, plus what USB port are you plugging it into? The USB A port on the front is slow and only meant for charging or a headset dongle.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 completely removed my install of 2K21. I played it earlier, and a short clip was even generated when I got a trophy. Got back on later and the entire game was completely gone, with an arrow next to it to redownload.

Then the system randomly shut off. It came back up and was talking about the extended storage that had my PS4 games on it, was corrupted and needed to be repaired. Seen this a bunch on PS4. Went through the process and then the screen sat blank for 5 minutes before I finally turned the system off, and it wouldn't turn back on.

Removed the external HDD and it came back up. I've seen others complain about external HDDs too. At this point use at your own risk, I've removed mine until they offer their "stability updates".

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
No benefits.

The Transfers fit me are much faster than the Pro ever was. There's a lot to that question though, mainly the speed of the SSD and the usb cable you're using, plus what USB port are you plugging it into? The USB A port on the front is slow and only meant for charging or a headset dongle.
I wonder if people having trouble with external drives have it plugged into the front

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity does disabling usb power when asleep potentially help the external storage issue? Then the usb storage is only being powered while ps5 is being used.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
And this is not hdr. I refuse. My LG Oled has seen a lot, I know what hdr looks like.

Cannot tell if the issue is my receiver to TV? I'm using the Ps4's HDMI? Or something else...

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Removed the external HDD and it came back up. I've seen others complain about external HDDs too. At this point use at your own risk, I've removed mine until they offer their "stability updates".
very strange stuff, I won't use my external HDD with PS5 until this stuff is fixed (and I think they will address it soon with firmware upgrade)

a bit off topic..
this reminds me of my laptop and external HDD. If I left it connected, it won't wake from rest mode or boot.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Can I start download from that PlayStation plus list from the app? I'm not near console but want to get a head start.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Have kind of a stupid question but my receiver doesn't support 4k hdr so if I run it through the receiver the resolution's is 1080p with hdr.

Unfortunately my Samsung TV doesn't support eARC (just ARC which is 5.1) but I do have a 7.1 system. Should I stick with better sound or better picture? Am I going to notice much of a difference in sound quality?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My PS5 completely removed my install of 2K21. I played it earlier, and a short clip was even generated when I got a trophy. Got back on later and the entire game was completely gone, with an arrow next to it to redownload.

Then the system randomly shut off. It came back up and was talking about the extended storage that had my PS4 games on it, was corrupted and needed to be repaired. Seen this a bunch on PS4. Went through the process and then the screen sat blank for 5 minutes before I finally turned the system off, and it wouldn't turn back on.

Smokey- I have been asking but no one answered. I am new to PS since it has been a while. But my system went to sleep on it's own. but hitting the ps button on the controller would not turn it on. Hitting power button did not do nothing, but after waiting a few minutes and hitting the power button it turned on. Isn't it suppose to turn on with the controller? Also, what are the different colors? I played Astobot for a bit and it was a soft white, but then when it turned on again it was blue for a bit.

Also what is the issue with external drives? I have a 1tb SSD attached and downloaded a few PS4 games, but have not played any of them yet.

Thanks!

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It really is... I've liked it, until I put it in my media center. It looks like a whacko nuto, lmao
It is pretty fucking ugly. I have mine standing up and with the hump of the drive at that angle it looks like it is going to fall over. My wife came up and said "that is ugly...why it is so big?". I just laughed.
It's such a freaking eyesore sitting in my tv console. I think having it all black will reduce that lol

lmao...yeah I thought I it was growing on me the months leading up to launch but no. Perhaps I was just lying to myself as normally I wouldn't think of owning something so ugly especially at this price. Gaming being my favorite hobby just transcends that though. Oh well, gotta play some games now!

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Smokey- I have been asking but no one answered. I am new to PS since it has been a while. But my system went to sleep on it's own. but hitting the ps button on the controller would not turn it on. Hitting power button did not do nothing, but after waiting a few minutes and hitting the power button it turned on. Isn't it suppose to turn on with the controller? Also, what are the different colors? I played Astobot for a bit and it was a soft white, but then when it turned on again it was blue for a bit.

Also what is the issue with external drives? I have a 1tb SSD attached and downloaded a few PS4 games, but have not played any of them yet.

Thanks!

Yeah it's supposed to turn on with the button. Yellow light is rest, i think it's supposed to be blue during regular operation.

I am seeing a lot of issues with externals, including my own experience. You could plug it in and copy what you wanted over to the internal, which admittedly, won't be too much given the limited size of the SSD. But after what I went through, and reading some other folks accounts, I wouldn't leave the external plugged in.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Have kind of a stupid question but my receiver doesn't support 4k hdr so if I run it through the receiver the resolution's is 1080p with hdr.

Unfortunately my Samsung TV doesn't support eARC (just ARC which is 5.1) but I do have a 7.1 system. Should I stick with better sound or better picture? Am I going to notice much of a difference in sound quality?
Get the Sharc device and you can enjoy your 7.1 and 4k/HDR,

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Press the PS button, and at the bottom of the overlay, go to the arrow pointing down sign. Click the box to expand and show all your downloads/uploads.

I'm not sure about the disc edition, but with the digital edition, there are markers that show you where to attach the stand if you are standing it horizontally. If you follow those markers it's pretty foolproof.
I don't see the arrow bottom sign. At all.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
It says the ps4 data is transferring but is there no time remaining or status bar I can check in the ps5?

Edit: NVM it's in the download/upload section

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's supposed to turn on with the button. Yellow light is rest, i think it's supposed to be blue during regular operation.

I am seeing a lot of issues with externals, including my own experience. You could plug it in and copy what you wanted over to the internal, which admittedly, won't be too much given the limited size of the SSD. But after what I went through, and reading some other folks accounts, I wouldn't leave the external plugged in.
Yeah, mine was a off-white since the moment I turned it on and playing Astrobot for a good 1 1/2, then Demon Souls for about 30 minutes until it crashed on me. I only seen blue (which I love) when I was able to bring it back from sleep mode. Is it normal that it takes a long time for it to go into sleep mode? The screen said "putting the ps5 to sleep mode, don't hit the power button" and that was on the screen for a good 5 minutes.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I heard the microphone in the controller is turned on by default which can weaken the haptics (I assume to maintain voice clarity). Not sure if it only does that in games that aren't actively using said mic, but still something to try turning off to see.

Interesting. I just tried astrobot and the haptics on that are a little too powerful. But I guess that is the whole point of the game

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I might be in the minority, but I think the DualSense is the biggest revolution of all the new next gen features. It's incredible.
It is. I love it so much more than the Dual Shock. But battery life really sucks, especially if you are playing a game that uses it a lot like Astrobot. But overall, it feels really good.