• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Let's suppose we are heading Holiday 2020 and both consoles, PS5 and Xbox scarlett are very similar in power, specs, etc.

BUT one costs 499 and the other one 599. Without specifying which one costs more than the other, would you choose brand over the price?
I choose games over price....but would probably still buy both.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
How much did we know? I recall that a few months before the PlayStation Meeting where the PS4 was introduced, there were some rumors regarding 4GB/8GB of GDDR5 which was quickly dismissed by many users of the old forum, because it was and I'm quoting: "impossible for a console to get 8GB of GDDR5 at a $399/$499 pricepoint".
Other than that, the DS4 was leaked even earlier I recall.

That's why I suspect PS5 and Scarlett won't have less than 24 GB RAM. Richard Leadbetter on DF said he thinks there's a good chance for 24 GB in next gen consoles.

Let's suppose we are heading Holiday 2020 and both consoles, PS5 and Xbox scarlett are very similar in power, specs, etc.

BUT one costs 499 and the other one 599. Without specifying which one costs more than the other, would you choose brand over the price?
It would not change my plans at all. I will get both consoles at launch. If one of them is $499 and the other is $599 — I would not have any problem spending well over $1200 to get both Scarlett and PS5 at launch Nov 2020, along with games, extra controllers and new year-long subscriptions to Xbox Live Ultimate / GamePass and the highest tier PSN/PS Plus.
Most likely an EA Battlefield Premium purchase as well if the next BF is good and launches in 2020 instead of 2021.

Last edited:

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
The PS4 has a very slow low power 8 core processor.

Each individual core has runs at a Max of 1.6 GHz
Due to the design of the chip It has a low amount of things it can do in an "instant" (a pulse of electricity through the CPU)
It has max of 1.6 billion "instants" per second.

The Zen CPU has 8 fast cores. Each core has 2 threads, think of as effectively making a single core to be two cores.
The speed will be around 3.5 to 3.7 GHz per core.
The design has been improving to 50% more things per instant

So you have 8 cores
That can do more per "instant"
That effectively can pretend to be 16 cores
And the number of "instants" per second has increased from 1.6 billion to 3.5billion or more.

So you can see the improvements stack on top of each other.

More or less. Makes sense?
So in theory you could say it's 50% more powerful than current gen, based on these numbers?

Edit: No that be 100%, since youre literally doubling the amount of "instances" you can achieve

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Horizon 2 will blow our collective brains to smithereens. To this day, I am stunned by what they achieved on a PS4 / Pro.
People aren't stressing this enough. This is Geurilla we're talking about and after their last smash hit Sony will surely give them their biggest budget ever. Killzone shadowfall was stunning on ps4 at launch. Horizon 2 will be a monster.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
That's why I suspect PS5 and Scarlett won't have less than 24 GB RAM. Richard Leadbetter on DF said he thinks there's a good chance for 24 GB in next gen consoles.

When I first read this I was skeptical. 8GB is the most common PC configuration on the Steam Hardware survey but if you look further 16GB is only slightly behind it and will overtake it soon. Then consider that 8GB VRAM is sort've the baseline amount for mainstream video cards now, and the memory in these consoles will be unified, so 16+8 = 24GB total. I could see it happening.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I just want to see the launch titles because I got a feeling they are going to be good to decent unlike the past launches.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how big the console will be.

All this power must need some kind of ventilation unless they're doing the XBX expensive cooling.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
When I first read this I was skeptical. 8GB is the most common PC configuration on the Steam Hardware survey but if you look further 16GB is only slightly behind it and will overtake it soon. Then consider that 8GB VRAM is sort've the baseline amount for mainstream video cards now, and the memory in these consoles will be unified, so 16+8 = 24GB total. I could see it happening.

Yeah, because 16GB RAM total is straight up not enough memory for consoles that will live from 2020 to probably 2027/2028 before we see another generation of console hardware.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
PS5 Pro won't happen before Fall 2022 at the soonest, with 5nm EUV nodes from TSMC and/or Samsung probably not possible for complex, large ICs going into non-mobile products like game consoles in 2020 or 2021.
5nm EUV would be pretty important for making $500 consoles with 2.3 to 4.5 times the GPU power of 2020 consoles.

If there are mid-gen upgrades from both Sony and MS again, I wouldn't really expect them before 2023/2024.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Ryzen is the name of AMD's mainstream / end user CPU products based on Zen microarchitecture.
Zen 2 is the name of the second generation of this microarchitecture.
So these are essentially different things - one is a product for one niche of the market and another is the tech which this product is built upon.
Thanks for the clear up.

Excited for this CPU bump.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Give me at launch a Playstation 5 25th anniversary edition (US$ 599) alongside the standard ps5 (US$ 399).

It would have the exact same hardware BUT with the inclusion of: Double the SSD storage, Full back compat with ps1 up to ps4 (Put a Cell in there!) and a year subscription to PS+. DO IT SONY

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
So it'll be equivalent to a Ryzen 7 3700X? If so, that's quite the jump in performance.

At all, PS5 CPU will be restricted by thermal envelope. Adding the fact that CPU while good is not the important part for graphics, just will not bottleneck the hell of the GPU chip.

If the PS5 CPU clock at half the speed of a desktop 3700X (so 2,2 Ghz/All cores) it'll already be a win.

And part of those cores will be dedicated to specific tasks that aren't game related.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
How much did we know? I recall that a few months before the PlayStation Meeting where the PS4 was introduced, there were some rumors regarding 4GB/8GB of GDDR5 which was quickly dismissed by many users of the old forum, because it was and I'm quoting: "impossible for a console to get 8GB of GDDR5 at a $399/$499 pricepoint".
Just did a little googling (I imagine the people in the next gen thread would know better), found a couple articles from around this time in 2012: https://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/01/report-ps4-dev-kits-surface-details-inside

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Give me at launch a Playstation 5 25th anniversary edition (US$ 599) alongside the standard ps5 (US$ 399).

It would have the exact same hardware BUT with the inclusion of: Double the SSD storage, Full back compat with ps1 up to ps4 (Put a Cell in there!) and a year subscription to PS+. DO IT SONY
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure PS3 production ended ended a while ago, there's no way in hell they'd start producing Cell again just for BC when they could probably do it just fine with software or force people to use PSNow at this point.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
People aren't stressing this enough. This is Geurilla we're talking about and after their last smash hit Sony will surely give them their biggest budget ever. Killzone shadowfall was stunning on ps4 at launch. Horizon 2 will be a monster.
This was Guerrilla Games in 2013

AliveDefenselessHeterodontosaurus-size_restricted.gif

I can't begin to think the things they will construct with a Navi GPU and 3.2 GHz CPU with ultra fast SSD.

Oct 25, 2017
How does the CPU performance translate to video games? How much better is it than the Jaguar and what more can be done? I'm trying to gauge how much better this is.
It is a lot better than the Jaguar CPU. It isn't close.

The CPU can handle stuff like physics, particle effects, AI intelligence, number of AI, etc..., so you can expect all of that to be greatly enhanced in comparison to this gen. Framerate should also see improvement.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
No the DS4 leaked that January IIRC. I know it was right before or right after the teaser trailer

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was Guerrilla Games in 2013

AliveDefenselessHeterodontosaurus-size_restricted.gif

I can't begin to think the things they will construct with a Navi GPU and 3.2 GHz CPU with ultra fast SSD.

HZD is still the best looking game this gen for me, and imo last gen KZ2/KZ3 were the best looking too.

8EInbge.gif

lQ0OVcB.gif

41w8_play.gif

0LsapaJ.gif

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
What is this obsession for $399.00 for the PS5? Do you want a weak ass console? Shit.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Do you really want every game hamstrung by having to work on a lesser machine?

To hell with that.

Give us one beastly bastard of a console and have it be the best it can be for a reasonable price.
We already know the tech, so its just finding the most logical price point for what you are getting, and to me that is 499. 399 is extremely unrealistic, and 599 hawks back to PS3 days and I am pretty sure sony wants to avoid that one.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already know the tech, so its just finding the most logical price point for what you are getting, and to me that is 499. 399 is extremely unrealistic, and 599 hawks back to PS3 days and I am pretty sure sony wants to avoid that one.

I'd agree, 399 is a pipe dream with everything we're dealing with, 499 is a sweet spot for launch.

Same price as the Xbox One X when it debuted, it's more than reasonable.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I can't believe people think there is hope for a $399 price when the Xbox One X is already $499.

We should consider ourselves lucky if the new consoles are $499 really

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
In a time people pay $1000 for smartphones that last 2 or 3 years is it really that crazy to see consoles costing $500 when they last 5/7 years now?
I'd rather spend $500 and have a better console than a $400 console that will be exploding for half of its lifespan and die during year 4 tbh.