• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
1TB Nextorage working like a dream, now. Went in easy, formatted easy, stuff copied from internal to it fast as hell.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in Canada and looking at the Samsung - 980 PRO Heatsink 2TB at about $332 on Amazon or $349 at Best Buy with free Geek Squad install, or the WD_BLACK SN850 2TB NVMe PCI-e (Gen 4) Internal Solid State Drive with Heatsink for $264 (also BB w/ install)

Is the cheaper option just as good here?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Canada and looking at the Samsung - 980 PRO Heatsink 2TB at about $332 on Amazon or $349 at Best Buy with free Geek Squad install, or the WD_BLACK SN850 2TB NVMe PCI-e (Gen 4) Internal Solid State Drive with Heatsink for $264 (also BB w/ install)

Is the cheaper option just as good here?
I would go for the cheaper SN 850, it's what I've been using since last year with no issues whatsoever.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
My sister picked up a Samsung 980 pro to replace the Mushkin vortex she previous had, as we could get the ps5 to play nice with that drive.

Drive worked on pc when tested, but the ps5 didn't want to format it. Must not have liked the controller.

xewind

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Received the Acclamator 1TB on the mail yesterday and installed it on the PS5. Really easy process and the PS5 recognized it with no issues whatsoever, giving a read speed of 6172.305MB/s.

Moved a couple of games to the new ssd and it was really fast. Booted some of them and it was fast as well. Will be testing games and see if I notice any issues with them posting it here.

So far seems like it was a great deal for the $99 bucks I paid for it.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Received the Acclamator 1TB on the mail yesterday and installed it on the PS5. Really easy process and the PS5 recognized it with no issues whatsoever, giving a read speed of 6172.305MB/s.

Moved a couple of games to the new ssd and it was really fast. Booted some of them and it was fast as well. Will be testing games and see if I notice any issues with them posting it here.

So far seems like it was a great deal for the $99 bucks I paid for it.

Let us know how the fans behave.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I installed the SK HYNIX PLATINUM P41 2TB SSD in my PS5 with a freaky german Graugear heatsink/copper pipe combo and it sings. Definitely faster than stock while running Borderlands 3 and some other games. Played Borderlands 3 for 5 hours and it was like this thing kissed the fan goodnight. This is the most quiet PS5 I have ever heard. It's Xbox Series X quiet. If you have a noisy fan then get this combo.

Freak Heatsink:

GRAUGEAR PS5 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Heatsink with Mesh Metal Heat Dissipation Dust Filter Cover for Expansion Slot, Copper Heat Pipe and Aluminum Fin for Playstation 5 SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0 Storage[G-PS5HS03] https://a.co/d/ex1UjBt

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone here used the Xbox Series adapters with these drives? I am desperate for more storage on that ecosystem.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly felt sick with it. If I upgrade it again, I'll just be formatting the M2 and redownloading (I'm fortunate that I have good internet, so it was done pretty quickly) and I'm never using an external drive with the PS5 ever again. Another thing that happened - I went through each game and selected [download] then back straight out and on to the next game hoping to save time adding everything, unfortunately if you don't wait for [adding to queue] it never starts, and it seemed to have a limit to the number of games I could queue so I had to do them in batches.

It was a cursed 24 hours. It's kind of my own fault for wanting as many games from my library available as possible! I was determined not to have a huge library until we had folders/tagging, but hey

Edit: I forgot to say, I wasn't sure the 980 Pro I bought had the new firmware, so I had to install i in my PC to update it first just in case.
So my 2TB arrived and I upgraded with no issues. Move games from M2 to USB drive, format M2 drive, Turn off PS5, swap out 1TB M2 SSD for 2TB , turn on, move games from usb drive to 2TB M2 SSD. At least anything I've launched so far hasn't had an issue, but I'll keep any eye on it.

Sorry you had to go through all that, must have been a bug or something? Was it an earlier firmware?

Last edited:

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
So my 2TB arrived and I upgraded with no issues. Move games from M2 to USB drive, format M2 drive, Turn off PS5, swap out 1TB M2 SSD for 2TB , turn on, move games from usb drive to 2TB M2 SSD. At least anything I've launched so far hasn't had an issue, but I'll keep any eye on it.

Sorry you had to go through all that, must have been a bug or something? Was it an earlier firmware?

Great news! I'm sure it's fine now you've installed it and moved the games over, so no need to worry about that - my previous 1TB M2 install was in there for a months (I installed it as soon as I had the beta FW) and I had zero issues with it.

I don't know what happened with mine, it just decided it didn't like the drive I'd used even though all the games moved over just fine and I'd closed the PS5 down properly. Just bad luck, I guess, it was fully update firmware-wise.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I installed the Nextorage today on the PS5 with no issues, once formatted the drive tested speed was 6000/6500 on first and 2nd test. I wouldn't make much of these read speed test. PS5 reports the full 1tb on the system, and transferring over a 20gb game from the PS5 SSD takes 15-20 seconds, or 1 minute for a 90gb game. Do keep in mind that transferring back to the internal PS5 SSD will take longer. The drive itself look well built with the pre installed heatsink.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB installed in my PS5 since the patch opened the ability to use. I took it out to update the firmware and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't erase my data.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
WD SN850 1TB with heatsink for ÂŁ99.98 at Amazon at the moment. Almost feels like these prices will be the norm going forward. Good price for a drive and heatsink!

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Which one did you get?? I'm thinking if getting a 2TB SSF too, not sure which one to buy
I got the WD SN850 2 TB here locally in a mom-and-pop shop that sources stuff from usa
its been great so far
it's nice not needing to copy back and forth between my HDD anymore

I got it for a similar price

It's SONY and CERNY approved

View: https://twitter.com/cerny/status/1421686135936348161?lang=en

View: https://twitter.com/wd_black/status/1546524772158226440

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for 4TB that isnt doesnt cost more than the console...so far I see some at $399. Hoping this holiday has more at even cheaper prices.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Sonys decision to not use proprietary drives is really paying off. I plan to buy an SSD when ever Sony decides to release a slim version of the PS5. I figure that when ever that is, prices will be crazy cheap.
Wouldn't be surprised to see them move to requiring the smaller 2230 form factor when they go slim with their console. I don't expect it to fit the 2280 size that's popular right now.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised to see them move to requiring the smaller 2230 form factor when they go slim with their console. I don't expect it to fit the 2280 size that's popular right now.
The 2280 size isnt even that big tho compared to the rest of the console.

The only way I see them requiring the 2230 size is if they got rid of internal storage.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see them doing that at all; a) I don't believe there are any PCIe 4.0 drives in a 2230 form factor (at least ones that meet Sony's read/write restrictions) and b) going that route would mean that the current 2280 drives that Sony has promoted, like the SN850, wouldn't be compatible, and I don't think that is a move Sony would be willing to make in the middle of the gen.

Plus, a 2280 SSD is very small, I doubt the PS5 slim would be so small that it wouldn't be able to fit a 2280 SSD.

Edit: I found a PCIe 4.0 2230 but it doesn't look like it's as fast as the 2280 versions.

2400 | Micron Technologies, Inc.

Introducing the 2400 SSD - built with the world's first 176-layer QLC NAND

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Tempted to get 4TB but there is really no point between built-in, external SSD for PS4 games and 2TB PCIE.

I was looking at XSX expansion prices and that 1TB Seagate is still $200... on sale. Yeah, no thanks.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably consider buying at $150 total if it happens to reach that for a good 2TB.

Not in a rush by any means. I've made excellent use from my 1TB SSD that I've turned into external storage for my PS5. I'd rather be saving as much cash as possible to be throwing into the stock market for the foreseeable future.

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
I'll probably consider buying at $150 total if it happens to reach that for a good 2TB.

Not in a rush by any means. I've made excellent use from my 1TB SSD that I've turned into external storage for my PS5. I'd rather be saving as much cash as possible to be throwing into the stock market for the foreseeable future.

Stocks are on sale right now!

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Stocks are on sale right now!
Yep, ...with a potential to dip 15% to 25% over the course over the next 6 to 12 months. In any case, I just want to be frugal. If this ends up being much worse and prolonged, I won't mind slowing down on the frugality as long as I've been buying at a relatively cheap price - no need to perfectly time the bottom.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This might be a good thread to post this in. I have a WD SSD I purchased awhile ago but I bought it without a heatsink because I'm a dummy. Can anyone link me to a good heatsink I can buy to attach to it so I can finally put it in my console lol

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a good thread to post this in. I have a WD SSD I purchased awhile ago but I bought it without a heatsink because I'm a dummy. Can anyone link me to a good heatsink I can buy to attach to it so I can finally put it in my console lol
Here you go.
Best PS5 heatsink 2022 - your top options to keep your SSD cool | GamesRadar+
I personally use number 1 but any of the top 5 will be more than sufficient. I wouldn't recommend number 6 because of its use of a rubber band as a strap, especially not at its current price.

I would say number 3, while it will do a good job is a bit too expensive.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Heh should've known we'd have a thread for this lol.

These deals are still going on today, debating if I should snag either now or wait to see what happens on Black Friday. Anyone have any better insight on how PSD SSD prices are looking going forward?