• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GraGor

Nov 17, 2017
WD Black SN850 1TB with heatsink for £99.74 - seems to be a one day only price on Amazon. Crazy good price for the drive I think. Also the 2TB with heat sink is £177.99.

If you've been holding out - now's the time too buy!

Had the 1TB in my basket for a few days for £124.99 but held off buying as I was hoping it would be cheaper on prime day,. I wasn't left disappointed, checked amazon when I woke up a few hours ago and bought it right away.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I bought:

SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD l Up to 7,000MB/S l Compact M.2 SSD Form Factor SK hynix SSD - Internal Solid State Drive with 176-Layer NAND Flash https://a.co/d/gGF39qS

GRAUGEAR PS5 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Heatsink with Mesh Metal Heat Dissipation Dust Filter Cover for Expansion Slot, Copper Heat Pipe and Aluminum Fin for Playstation 5 SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0 Storage[G-PS5HS03] https://a.co/d/hO6ELoY

I paid $207 for the SK HYNIX PLATINUM P41 2TB which is probably the best drive out there for PC. I'm sure it will do fine in a PS5. It hasn't been on the market long. The freak looking heatsink is a pretty new product too and reduced to $19.

SK Hynix bought Intel's SSD and NAND divisions. They are top notch.

Last edited:

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung 980 Pro with heatsink is £95.99, which is the better one?

Can't go wrong with either one! Though there were reports early on that the 980 Pro needed a firmware update to unlock its full speed - you would need to connect this to a pc first to do this but may not be an issue with later batches of the drives….

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Western Digital SN850 2tb for $200 or Adata 2tb for $180. I never heard of Adata before so I kinda want to go with the more established brand. But I could buy a lot of chips for $20.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Really want a 2TB, but this is a little too good to pass up and 1TB should be enough for now for my PS5...

I guess I still don't understand... the WD and Adata 2TB seem comparatively cheaper per storage size (though obviously overall price are almost double) is there a reason to pass those up (unless you just don't have the cash on hand)?

J.T

Nov 22, 2017
Bought the WD SN850 2TB, was able to price match at BB from for the AMZ prime deal 198, Had a gift card there. Sweet.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I still don't understand... the WD and Adata 2TB seem comparatively cheaper per storage size (though obviously overall price are almost double) is there a reason to pass those up (unless you just don't have the cash on hand)?

I haven't seen those. I'll have to check those out thanks...

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, ok, I was just wondering if I missed something that was wrong with these two. It's still not clear to me from reading the reviews on the WD if there's a firmware updated needed, a lot of them say no, some say yes.

Looks like the ADATA one doesn't have a heatsink and it's $20, but Amazon has a $20 coupon you can clip on the actual drive basically making the heatsink free. Also it's a tad slower than the NEXstorage one...

Oct 25, 2017
I bought:

SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD l Up to 7,000MB/S l Compact M.2 SSD Form Factor SK hynix SSD - Internal Solid State Drive with 176-Layer NAND Flash https://a.co/d/gGF39qS

GRAUGEAR PS5 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Heatsink with Mesh Metal Heat Dissipation Dust Filter Cover for Expansion Slot, Copper Heat Pipe and Aluminum Fin for Playstation 5 SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0 Storage[G-PS5HS03] https://a.co/d/hO6ELoY

I paid $207 for the SK HYNIX PLATINUM P41 2TB which is probably the best drive out there for PC. I'm sure it will do fine in a PS5. It hasn't been on the market long. The freak looking heatsink is a pretty new product too and reduced to $19.
Sorry, I'm new to all this- (as well as no PC building experience). If I buy the drive you did above for the PS5, it also needs a heatsink purchased separately?

This one you linked in the OP you say includes a heatsink? Is there a reason you chose to purchase them separately compared to one being included? Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm new to all this- (as well as no PC building experience). If I buy the drive you did above for the PS5, it also needs a heatsink purchased separately?

This one you linked in the OP you say includes a heatsink? Is there a reason you chose to purchase them separately compared to one being included? Thanks for any help.

OK so that S70 Blade has essentially a metal sheath that is technically a heatsink/heat spreader. Most of the time heatsinks have fins and look different than that but some manufacturers have different slim solutions for drives going in tight places with little airflow.

But yes, you can buy one with or without and then apply your own custom heatsink solution.

The SK HYNIX PLATINUM P41 definitely needs a heatsink. You can attach one or buy Sabrents solution which essentially replaces your PS5 slot cover with a flat heatsink.

SABRENT M.2 NVMe Heatsink for The PS5 Console (SB-PSHS) https://a.co/d/7RBeWeH

PNY I believe makes a similar one.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Really want a 2TB, but this is a little too good to pass up and 1TB should be enough for now for my PS5...
I think it depends on your current setup. If you don't have any existing external HDD / SSD connected, maybe 2TB is the better option.

Mine currently has a 4TB HDD connected to store my PS4 games, so I decided to get the 1TB model instead. 1TB + the internal SSD for storing PS5 games only should be sufficient for the near future.

Oct 25, 2017
OK so that S70 Blade has essentially a metal sheath that is technically a heatsink/heat spreader. Most of the time heatsinks have fins and look different than that but some manufacturers have different slim solutions for drives going in tight places with little airflow.

But yes, you can buy one with or without and then apply your own custom heatsink solution.

The SK HYNIX PLATINUM P41 definitely needs a heatsink. You can attach one or buy Sabrents solution which essentially replaces your PS5 slot cover with a flat heatsink.

SABRENT M.2 NVMe Heatsink for The PS5 Console (SB-PSHS) https://a.co/d/7RBeWeH

PNY I believe makes a similar one.
Just pulled the trigger on the blade + SABRENT (sounds like it's better the included one) Thanks! :)

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on your current setup. If you don't have any existing external HDD / SSD connected, maybe 2TB is the better option.

Mine currently has a 4TB HDD connected to store my PS4 games, so I decided to get the 1TB model instead. 1TB + the internal SSD for storing PS5 games only should be sufficient for the near future.

I have a 2TB HDD for my PS4 games. So I think I'll be okay with 1TB...

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Got the Nextorage 1 tb in my ps5 and it works great. Nice to have actual space on the ps5.
Also picked up a 2tb WD black but I intend to put that in my PC. Damn spending a lot on storage lol

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Uses it fully for games. Doesn't have Other space like the internal as far as I can tell.

Correct, just expands as a separate drive you can install and transfer games over to. It's easy to install, just gotta remove the console cover plate, unscrew SSD cover, install SSD with screw and re-screw SSD cover then put console cover plate back on. Will take 5mins at most.
That's so interesting, so the PS5 always just had an available spot for another SSD? Weird.

So day to day use you arent noticing anything different? I guess kind of like the Switch implementation, where some is on internal memory and some is on SD?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's so interesting, so the PS5 always just had an available spot for another SSD? Weird.

So day to day use you arent noticing anything different? I guess kind of like the Switch implementation, where some is on internal memory and some is on SD?
Pretty much like the Switch implementation where they're separate and you can view either one, day to day usage is exactly the same. For example I've transferred the key MP stuff I have like GT7 and BF2042 to the expansion drive, and I've kept some on the internal. I later corrected myself that the m.2 slot does indeed have the Other reserve as well, but it's not nearly as big as the internal Other.

If you want you can set it up that all games automatically install to the expansion drive, or just keep it default to internal installs and manually transfer the stuff over, which is what I do. It's nice and simple

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Canadian deals not as good but I got a heat sink for 13 and the WD black 2TB for 239.99 CAD

Snornex

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

I'm using a SN850 and notice no performance difference whatsoever. You basically pick a drive to be the default download location for all future games. If you want a certain download to go to the other drive instead, you can always choose to do so before downloading begins. Game saves, screenshots, and gameplay recordings can only be saved to the factory SSD though.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Pretty much like the Switch implementation where they're separate and you can view either one, day to day usage is exactly the same. For example I've transferred the key MP stuff I have like GT7 and BF2042 to the expansion drive, and I've kept some on the internal. I later corrected myself that the m.2 slot does indeed have the Other reserve as well, but it's not nearly as big as the internal Other.

If you want you can set it up that all games automatically install to the expansion drive, or just keep it default to internal installs and manually transfer the stuff over, which is what I do. It's nice and simple
I'm using a SN850 and notice no performance difference whatsoever. You basically pick a drive to be the default download location for all future games. If you want a certain download to go to the other drive instead, you can always choose to do so before downloading begins. Game saves, screenshots, and gameplay recordings can only be saved to the factory SSD though.
That's great, thanks for the information, going to order the 2TB. So I'm guessing its pretty fast transferring between the drives? I'm just tired of deleting games.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wait, wtf, I could've sworn the 980 Pro was like $240 when the sale started this morning, and now it's $195.

Edit: Without the heatsink.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's great, thanks for the information, going to order the 2TB. So I'm guessing its pretty fast transferring between the drives? I'm just tired of deleting games.
It's pretty quick. If I'm remembering correctly from when I first installed it I moved 100ishGB from internal to expansion in under a minute.

Snornex

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's been a while since I transferred anything between the SSDs, but I recall the rate to be roughly 1GB/s. So a typical 80GB game will take 1-2 minutes to transfer. Of course this rate varies depending on the SSD that you have installed.

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried that the prices on these would tank when I bought my FireCuda for $109. Thankfully that's still looking like a deal that is on par with these. If these prices would've been around when I was buying I might've gone for 2TB but I'm happy with 1.

OP
OP
Meowmixez

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe M.2 Internal Gaming SSD | Up to 7300 MB/s | Graphene Heat Spreader | 3D TLC NAND | Works with PS5 | SFYRS/1000G https://a.co/d/azrmywI

$122 for a pretty fast drive without a heatsink.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Something I just noticed about my WD drive, are that the write speeds are much faster than Sony's internal one, so even though the download speeds aren't any different, the installs happen much faster.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I want to get an good SSD that has a heatsink built in just so I don't need to install it. Are there any good ones on sale?

Amazon has the WD_Black SN850 NVME 500GB, 1TB, 2TB all on sale! WD is my most trusted HDD/SSD devices; never had one fail on my yet.

still pricey but the 2TB is a fucking steal at that price!!!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Amazon has the WD_Black 500GB, 1TB, 2TB all on sale! WD is my most trusted HDD/SSD devices; never had one fail on my yet.

still pricey but the 2TB is a fucking steal at that price!!!
That's a bit steep for my liking but holy shit that's a great deal. Thanks for sharing!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The 2TB WD is sitll a good deal but is 10 bucks more than earlier today (and is no longer listed as a prime day deal)

Actually I take that back, I can't even put it in my cart anymore.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Decided to finally bite on the Nextorage for the living room PS5. It doesn't have nearly as much installed to it as it is, so it'll have plenty of room for anything other games, now. Particularly PS4 stuff I've kind of wanted to install in there but just haven't. No more need for house cleaning!

Next step is for a 2TB for the game room, as I am using a 1TB external SSD in an enclosure for PS4 stuff, but would like to have more space overall and ditch using an external for various reasons.